Anyone interested in a new fantasy roleplay?

Dreamweaver

This is pretty much just an interest check for now, because I don't have everything really planned out yet. The main idea came about from the following two quotes:
  • "There are three deaths. The first is when the body ceases to function. The second is when the body is consigned to the grave. The third is that moment, sometime in the future, when your name is spoken for the last time." -David Eagleman
  • "I mean, they say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time." -Banksy
So, what if there was a select group committed to remembering the names of the dead, so that no one ever really dies (which would be seen as a huge tragedy to the group)? Like, maybe saying a deceased's name on a continual basis would prevent their soul from evanescence, or something? They'd have to have factions throughout the world, of course, to make sure everyone's name is remembered.

And of course there'd be groups resistant to this idea, who either wouldn't believe in souls at all, or believe that souls are eternal (and thus can never die, making the first group's goal pointless), or... don't believe in the first group's purpose for whatever reason.

Maybe this would be realistic fantasy, or take place on another world altogether--what do you guys think?

I like this idea, though I'd like some clarity. This group of people; how are they keeping the names? Books? Computers? Are they keeping all, and I mean ALL of the names of history, including those that are famous in history? The history of the world -- whether it's current Earth, post-apocalyptic Earth or a generally different world all together -- what's it made up of?
I am a world builder and culture crafter by trade and I think a separate universe would be interesting. However, how high tech would this world be? The lower tech the world is, the harder it would be for ALL the names to be remembered. And what about those that wish to actually pass on; those that don't want to be remembered?

Anyways, those are just thoughts.
Have a pleasant day.

~Tay

110% Interested. This is a really fantastic idea, and I would love to play it out.

When I was reading it, what popped into my mind was Earth, sometime in the future, and SUPER high-tec. Like maybe the names flash through screens in the factions, so you have to look at them every day or something. Just an idea. ^.^

Oooh, sounds great! Reminds me of a book I read recently, actually! In any case, I would be so up for this.

Back