can roleplaying improve one's Egnlish?

Ismailjr6

English is my third language, but It's what I study in the university, I read books and like roleplaying, But I often wondered if it will improve my English

Absolutely! My mother is an English as a Second Language teacher, and she encourages her students (adults) to read English books as much as possible (novels, like children's books or whatever your level is). She says it's the only way you can get a good feel for how the language flows, even if you don't understand every single word. She also discourages looking every word up in the dictionary that you don't know, and instead trying to understand what the word probably means from context clues. She has her students write sentences and paragraphs that she will edit for grammar. Like anything, practice will only make you better.

I absolutely think so. I know a few people who roleplayed while learning English, and I think it definitely helped them! Any sort of exposure to the language can help learn, and working in a collaborative setting makes it easier since it provides a lot of examples and peers who can help with the process.

Dude, totally. I'm going to echo the others above me and tell you that exposure and actual practice will amp your progress up like a nitro boost on a race car. It helped me (English is my third language) so I don't why it won't help *you.*

From personal experience, it indeed does. In an old RP I used to do we had a French Canadian join who knew little English and could barely format a sentence correctly. After a few months, their English improved phenomenally.

[Of course! Just like any creative writing exercise, it's likely to improve your language skills, so if you use English, it'll help with your English.]

I'm not a native speaker and I think my English got to this level entirely because of my exposure to American and British television as well as my love for RPG's. Reading the source books that were only available in English forced me to sharpen my grasp of the language. This lead to rp on Java chats and turned it into practice. Tbh rpg's, the old school kind, teaches you allot more then simple language. It helps you think ahead, social skills even empathy. Speaking from a personal experience it helped make me who I am today.

Back