Character Questionnaire (First Edition)

Should I make more content like this?

• No--This doesn't interest me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nilum

The Wanderer Returned
Benefactor
Do you want to flesh out your characters a little better? Want to have a little fun? Want to express your massive ego artistic talent? Want to learn a valuable lesson about writing? Then stick around!

Step 1: Pick a character of yours you want to flesh out. Any of them will do, really.

Step 2: Answer the following questions with that character, in first person, from their perspective.
Code:
[b]#1:[/b] Who are you?

[b]#2:[/b] What do you want?

[b]#3:[/b] What is your ideal scenario for a good evening?

[b]#4:[/b] How do you feel about the concept of family and friends?

[b]#5:[/b] What is your greatest regret?

[b]#6:[/b] What is your warmest memory?

[b]#7:[/b] What motivates you to try and accomplish things in your life?

[b]#8:[/b] What role or purpose do you think you fill in a group of people--like adventurers, or classmates?

[b]#9:[/b] Name an event in your past in which you were beaten by someone or something else. (Doesn't have to be violent--could just be an argument with someone, for example.)

[b]#10:[/b] You enter a store and see a thief holding up a store clerk for money. You recognize the thief as someone who lost his job recently, and who has been struggling to get by. What would you do?

Step 3: How many of these answers you made as your character, would you personally relate to or agree with as an author? (Between 1-10.) Are you similar or different to your character? How do you feel about this?

As for how these particular questions develop your character...
#1: Who are you?
Why?: Asks a character directly for their identity. How they respond--whether by name, or otherwise--can show their first impressions toward others.

#2: What do you want?
Why?: A rather blunt and broad question. It's a good way to simply, without context, figure out what a character's desires are.

#3: What is your ideal scenario for a good evening?
Why?: Displays what a character finds to be enjoyable out of life, which in turn demonstrates how they might behave in a group environment, or what they might casually pursue.

#4: How do you feel about the concept of family and friends?
Why?: Displays how emotionally stable a character is.

#5: What is your greatest regret?
Why?: Displays a character's personal weak points from loss.

#6: What is your warmest memory?
Why?: Shows what a character cherishes most about life in general, and what their long term objectives may be as a result. (Ex: A character whose warmest thoughts lead to home, probably wants to settle down one day.)

#7: What motivates you to try and accomplish things in your life?
Why?: Characters need motivations. A character without a motivation is like owning a car but having no idea of where you want to go. You can drive in circles all day, you won't achieve anything.

#8: What role or purpose do you think you fill in a group of people--like adventurers, or classmates?
Why?: Shows what sort of person a character is in a group, and by extension, how likely they are to form relationships with other player characters--and what types of relationships those might be.

#9: Name an event in your past in which you were beaten by someone or something else. (Doesn't have to be violent--could just be an argument with someone, for example.)
Why?: No character is perfect. Being able to demonstrate where your character went wrong and failed due to their own incompetence is a powerful tool to ensure that you not only write flaws into your characters, but understand them, and make them meaningful.

#10: You enter a store and see a thief holding up a store clerk for money. You recognize the thief as someone who lost his job recently, and who has been struggling to get by. What would you do?
Why?: A classic ethical scenario with a shade of grey painted into it to show whether your character leans more towards empathy or order... Or something else entirely.

Keep in mind one more thing: These are just ten random questions that I came up with in brainstorming for about fifteen minutes. You can come up with pretty much any questions to answer for your own character--typically mundane or specific scenarios that allow you to start figuring out who they are in everyday life, or when under pressure. These are questions you can ask yourself while sitting on a public bus, or when you're at work and it's slow--questions you can use to think about who your character is.

All in all it's a fun little exercise I thought I would share.

Abel Ikanov. Human AU.

Uhh... My name is Abel, Ikanov. And... I'm a pole dancer?, a good one!. Is that what you meant?

Well, uhm. Dunno man, right now?. Right now I want to go home with my baby, but... if you meant in life or something, I guess I just want to keep enjoying life?. What do YOU want?.

Well, I usually spend my evenings practising new or usual routines for the night shows, and that's pretty cool. But maybe helping out at home or something?.
I remember this one time when Birch and I spent the whole evening making a delicious cheese cake.
I think spending time with him or the Luseth is always the ideal time. *chuckles*

This question is a little weird. When I was younger my relatives offered me zero percent support, so I don't consider them family at all. My babe and my friends, the Luseth, are my real family. Because of those times when they let me stay at their place after my dad kicked me out, because they have supported me and given me all I never had to ask for but I needed, you know?... I just got a little emotional, but it's how things are.

I think... not wanting to realise how bad my situation at home was and not moving out sooner?, My life could have been so much better if I had... *sighs*

The first time I actually got to dance as the main attraction at the club, and how I left everyone's mouths hanging open, the applause, the adoration!

My friends motivate me, and the fact that some people said I would never get anywhere at all in life. I love it when I reach my goals and it feels great to, even if they aren't there, think... Yeah fuckers!, remember when you said I wouldn't get anywhere? Eat your words!.

#8: What role or purpose do you think you fill in a group of people--like adventurers, or classmates?

Maybe the hot mess that has dated so many guys they can't even remember most of them?. I don't knowwwww...

#9: Name an event in your past in which you were beaten by someone or something else. (Doesn't have to be violent--could just be an argument with someone, for example.)

The one time I finally came out of the closet with my parents?, they didn't beat me up, not right away anyways. But oh boy those disappointed faces, I'll never forget them... I mean, I wasn't expecting them to like it or accept it anyways.

That other time when I challenged my best friend to a race. I was sure I could win, because i'm pretty fast. But oh boy was I wrong... tsk.

#10: You enter a store and see a thief holding up a store clerk for money. You recognize the thief as someone who lost his job recently, and who has been struggling to get by. What would you do?

Probably try to talk them out of it and apologise to the store clerk?, beg for forgiveness?. If it didn't work i'd have to call the cops, but I'm pretty persuasive. *grins*

Last edited:
Eddarin Skyseeker, Half-Elf Assassin and generally always-right asshole.

- "Eddarin Skyseeker, just Edd works though."
- "A few things, but money’s a good first step. Equity makes opportunity, and all that."
- "Well, a good evening is either all work or all play. I’m either finishing up a complicated, and well paying, contract or I’m sitting by a fire with a good book and a good drink."
- "Most are easy enough to replace, but on the rare occasion you find people worth keeping around I’ll defend 'em to the last... Just don’t expect me to stick my neck out for you without prior, y’know?"
- "...I let them get away with it."
-" Learning to play the lyre with my mother."
- "I know how the world works, because I’ve seen it work against me enough time to figure it out. My motivation is simple; Get to the top, and stay there. No one can control the ebb and flow of my life then."
- "So many roles, so little time. I’m the smart one, I’m the rogue, I’m the one with the most useful skills and the one most likely to notice things. I’m also the one that should do the talking because, well, I’m the smart one."
[b]#9:[/b] Name an event in your past in which you were beaten by someone or something else. (Doesn't have to be violent--could just be an argument with someone, for example.)
- "The doom of my troop. Good people tried to talk their way out of trouble without any leverage. I was good people back then, too. I know the truth now though. Don’t talk unless you’ve got leverage or an escape plan."
-"The thief has to eat, too. Assuming he doesn’t try and take too much, I’ll let the thief do what he has to, then I’ll tail him and point him towards some work that doesn’t hurt good people."

Elian Varossa, Realm of Drageloc

My name is Elian. That's all you need to know.

Revenge? No... If I were not bound by the limits of reality, if I could truly have my wishes answered as the legend claim, I would ask for a second chance. To save her, and find her somewhere she could prosper. So I suppose to that end, I want the Uldinzar.

These days, I'm happiest when my travels bring me somewhere I can pretend at the life I used to have. A warm fire, a soft bed, good food... peaceful. Some quiet time to reflect and meditate. And a good book. I used to enjoy reading more, I'd like to do so again.

Family used to mean two things to me. First, a name to honour, and bring favour upon. Values to uphold. And second? Family was my sister. My father and brother were never... it wasn't the same. They taught me, and raised me, and I respected them to no end. But our bond was not the same. If there was love, it was ... distant. Obligatory.

These days, I desire as little to do with my family's name as possible. They failed me and Leah when it mattered.

Friends, though? I have no strong opinion on the concept. I've had few enough. I should like to have more, someday. But for now, my goals are more important.

Failing my sister. When she was to be taken to 'trial', I ought to have fled with her then and there. But instead I pleaded with my father to intervene, sought avenues that did not invite the Emperor's ire. Idiocy. There were, and are none.

Reading to Leah.

For now, a fool's hope of rewriting reality and undoing my mistakes. I suppose I also still desire self-improvement for its own sake. I may see those ideals for what they were, now, but that doesn't mean they didn't have their value.

I hit hard, and fast. I can hold my own without support for a short time, but in a prolonged combat, I seek to rely on the more hardy of my companions to draw fire so as not to burn out my chi on unnecessary defences.

Countless, countless sparring matches against my teachers and seniors in my martial arts and chakra classes. Learning is a painful process.

Intervene, disarm the man and ... well, it depends where we are. In my homeland, he's already forfeited his life. The Emperor does not forgive. Perhaps I might give him a chance at fleeing, to find a second chance somewhere else. Were I somewhere with a justice system that could rightfully be called such, I would restrain him till the authorities could take him to answer for his crime in a less fatal manner. Struggle and strife is no excuse for turning to crime. Everyone struggles. There are always other options.

Russell Johnson, The Last Bastion: Bunker Chicago, Coalition Soldier.

#1: "I'm Russell. Nice to meet you."

#2: "I want the Bunker to be safe, and I also want to be rid of this weak immune system."

#3: "A good evening? Hm... I'd have to say something quiet and peaceful, while I tinker with some technology. Or perhaps spent with... No, I shouldn't..."

#4: "Family and friends? I guess they're a good thing for anyone to have. Helps remind one what they're fighting for."

#5: "...Going out into the irradiated wastes as a child. I hate this lack of an immune system..."

#6: "...Jenive..."

#7: "The promise that those who are close to me, and those who will come after me will not have to gace the horrors that I do."

#8: "...Odd question, but I'd have to say the big tough guy who protects everyone else."

#9: "Evelynn... That monster... When she took Jenive's leg... I couldn't kill her, and Jenive payed the price..."

#10: "Another odd question... I would stop him from committing a crime, then tell him that there were better ways than a life of crime."

Deputy Diana Roeser, NYPD

1. "The name's Roeser. Don't wear it out."

2. "I want to defend and serve the people. It's in the job description."

3. "Ideally, a good evening is spent asleep in my own bed."

4. "What's the difference?"

5. "Forsaking my father to carry a gun instead of a purse."

6. "Wrestling with my brothers on the floor one minute--learning to sew with my mother the next."

7. "Knowing I make a difference in the lives of the common people is enough to keep me going when everyone else gives up."

8. "I'm the voice of reason and the mediator."

9. "I've been shot in the line of duty a few times--it's not something you're supposed to get used to."

10. "Arrest him and bring him in for questioning. You expect anything different?"

My name's Paige! Who are you?
Oh, lots of things! I reeeaally wanna do magic though. Hector says I can do it if I keep practicing, but I've been meditating for a long time and I can't even see the waves he talks about...Oh, I also like books! That's the thing I want that I get most often, living here in a library.
Finding a new old book and reading it all night! I usually fall asleep before then though, and Gail covers me in books.
I've, um, read about those. I think Hector is sort of like my dad. Or maybe grandpa? He's probably more like a great-great-great-great-great-great-... (some time later) -great grandpa! Oh, and there's Gail. He's kind of a pet, I think?
Making this hat. I thought it was okay, I just wanted one like Hector's, and its pages were the perfect shape. I didn't know the book was so valuable. I still feel guilty about it sometimes, even if Hector said I shouldn't worry about it. He even said I should keep wearing it, and that he knew I'd keep it safe. He's so nice.
Mmmm...I don't know, it's pretty quiet out here in the woods. Nobody comes to visit, and I just tend the library like Hector says to. I like our Morning Talks though. Hector's so smart, he knows lots of things, and whenever I ask a question he knows the answer, and whenever he doesn't, he knows what book to find it in! Oh, that's it! My warmest memory is when Hector told me why he named me Paige, after the people who used to take work in the library a long time ago, and that he knows I'll be a great Page too. Page Paige, hee hee!
Magic is so cool! I read about the Great Magicians and what they did all the time. One day I'm gonna go out and help people too, after I learn how. I'll have to make a magic way to keep the library nice though, first. And that means I hafta learn magic. I read that people almost always see the magic tides after 2 years of meditating at most, and I've been meditating for 4 now, so I should see them any day now, I think!
Oh! I'd be the Wizard of course! Just look at my hat, what did you think I'd be? ...that's after I know magic of course. Hey, what's a classmate?
That one's easy, Hector beats me all the time! I'll think I know something, but he says "I fear that's not quite correct, small one", then he tells me to go look it up in a book somewhere. If I can't find it he tells me what book it's in, and then even what page, and where on the page! And he's always right. I think he's read all the books in this place..
Um...Ummm....Hector always says stealing is wrong, that "books must be checked out properly". I don't know much about money. I don't want anyone to get hurt though! Maybe I'd talk to him, maybe he could have a job here...maybe...Um. Hector! I have a question! (runs off into the library)

Part 3: How many of these answers you made as your character, would you personally relate to or agree with as an author? (Between 1-10.)
Only # 10 is where we can have remotely similar answers, and even then I wouldn't go so far as to offer the person a job at a place where I lived alone. So, uh, 0/10 I suppose.
Are you similar or different to your character? How do you feel about this?
Paige...is optimistic, inquisitive, and eager to prove herself. I am at least the first two, although I don't have a Hector nor much ambition. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I'm not sure. Pros and cons to each, strengths and weaknesses. To me, all that matters is how you use what you have.

Brynhild Nyman, Ame Damnee
#1:
Who are you?
My name is Brynhild and I'm an alcoholic.

In life? To die in a blaze of glory on the battlefield but I'll probably just die from something more realistic and mundane.

Having several drinks with what little friends I do have, black out, then force myself to remember if I did anything regrettable that night.

Family is something you should always cherish. When you find yourself with no lover or friends, you can run to family but when you have no family, the world can be a cold place.
Losing my son. I don't even remember his face. I just remember the crying and guilt I felt as baring a child who would have a mother like me. It's better that he doesn't know.

My warmest memory came from my younger years when my brother and I would sneak out late at night and play pranks on the few stragglers along the street. Hic. Good times.
Nothing except fighting. There is nothing else like having the adrenaline pump through your veins as you stare down your opponent, knowing only one of you will come out of this fight.

I'd say that I'd be the tall friend that everyone thinks is quiet but is a raging alcoholic, if that's even a role. But hey, on the bright side, I'd be great at parties.

My very first fight. I was always a scrawny kid but I loved to pick fights with people I didn't like. There was this one boy named Hugh, we had it out for each other for years but in an odd way, we were still friends. Well, one day I had enough of him so I challenged him to a fight and by the end of it, my ass was handed to me on a gold platter. Hic.
What can I do? Desperate time calls for desperate measures and if he is to be caught for his crime, he'll pay the consequences. If not, he won't be struggling for a while. It's like asking if a drug dealer should be able to sell drugs as that is his only form of income and he has children to provide for. It may be morally wrong but who are we to judge a situation of one person that led them to the action of the crimes they commit. Most of the time, it's a last resort, a cry for the help that was never received. I've done things in my life that would be considered morally wrong but for reasons similar to that of the drug dealer and thief. Who's to say that each and every one of you in this tavern, haven't done something at least morally questionable. So do what you want in this scenario, but I would just let nature take her course.

Doing this by request of @Astaroth for fun. I'll do... Ah... I'll flip a coin between the LoR or TLB Universes.

LoR it is.
Mikan
Marcus
Kouri
James
Hanus

"Really? Did you forget my name, schon? I'm Mikan! That's enough of that though, handsome, how about we get better acquainted..."
"I am Marcus, King's Ranger and sworn protector of Princess Kouri. What do you want?"
"My name is Princess Kouri, of the Kingdom of Renalta. It is a pleasure to meet you."
"I'm James! James Moriarty, or James the Illusionist--of the carnival of Liveria! Is it entertainment you seek?... Or something, else?"
"I am Hanus Wolfblood, noble among the Dark Elves, and a vampire who has witnessed many generations of your kind. I am rather busy, so speak, quickly."

"You are asking me this? Ah... I do not really know, what I want. I guess I just want to be free."
"To see the rightful heir of the Kingdom of Renalta restored to her throne, and to see the Gods who threw her from it expelled from our world... And... Revenge, of another kind, in another time."
"I seek to restore my kingdom, and banish the Gods. Beyond that, I have little other purpose, beyond, perhaps... Finding someone who would help me to rule, such an odd thing to think about now, it feels so... Distant."
"Power. Is there anything else to desire other than power? It allows oneself to exert their will upon the world, and bend it to their desires... Good, or evil."
"To help a loved one find a cure for their people, to serve the Princess for her life, and then... To die in a noble cause. There is no greater purpose for a Dark Elf than death in nobility."

"Flirt with me a little and buy me something nice, and I'll be sure to show you, all night long."
"To train someone, and see in their eyes the moment of enlightenment that my mentor must have seen in mine many times before."
"A pleasant meal, in good company, with the comforts of civilization... Perhaps, even a piano for me to play. To a loved one, or, simply for my own enjoyment."
"I... Do not think I actually understand this question, what do you mean?"
"Time spent with the love of my life. The only love of my life."

"Family's for people that matter, not street rats, not me... I'd... Rather not talk about this again."
"It is earned through blood. Not the blood of a parent, but the blood of combat, of hard work, and sacrifice. Brotherhood is the most important aspect of any King's Ranger."
"It is that which I have lost, and that which is the only thing I believe may save me, in the end."
"The only thing family is good for is providing a womb for me to rip my way out of. Otherwise, they left me to rot. The carnival is my family--and I will return to them one day, when I can make their lives something wonderful."
Hanus would not answer this question. He would simply smile and change the subject.

"He will never know my name."
"I have no regrets. Regret is for those who have time to concern themselves with their mistakes--I am a man of duty, nothing more."
"I ran while my city burned. I still hear their screams, every night."
"I didn't kill her when I had the chance."
"I must never return to my people. If I ever did... The mistakes of my father would follow me relentlessly."

"Seeing the other orphans smiling and laughing the first time I got them a meal. They didn't know I stole it... It was one of the biggest thefts I had ever accomplished: Dozens of loaves of bread, all mine, all fresh. I took them from a cart heading to the royal kitchens... Could have gotten my head cut off for that. I would never do it again, but... Seeing everyone eat well... That made it worth doing, just once."
"Seeing the Princess rise with my own eyes. My purpose, that I have trained for, that I expected to die without ever fulfilling... It is destiny that I am here, now."
"Seeing Sisera laugh, when I fell off my horse. My family was there, too, they helped me back on, and I kept trying, and trying... It took me longer than some of the others to learn. I got ashamed, but, Sisera and my father kept encouraging me... Eventually, I did learn. They were there the whole time, encouraging me. I could not ask for memories much warmer than these, which keep the heat in my veins, even when the cold rapture of the screams echo in my mind."
"When I learned of my natural talents. Being able to create something from nothing, now that... That is true power."
"Training my first Krasyvv. They are named after their red tongues, which are several feet long. It attempted to attack me from behind, but I knew it was coming. It grabbed my arm and pulled me back with the intent to pull me into its mouth, but I used the velocity it gave me to instead kick it in the eye. It screeched and reeled back, and I climbed onto its back and exhausted it. Eventually I fed it, helped it recover, and it became my Krasyvv. I have had a few Krasyvv's in my life now, but that first one is special, for that is the first time I became a man by the standards of my people."

"To get better than the life of a street rat, I guess?"
"To serve the Princess, and perhaps, to one day get my revenge."
"To restore my kingdom, to give people a safe place to be... To free this world from the shackles of the brutal authoritarians who rule over it with no mercy, and no compassion."
"I thought I answered this already? Are you repeating yourself?... What do you want?"
"I already answered this question. The fact that you did not listen well the first time is not my problem, young one."

"The thief who keeps an eye out for opportunity!"
"The warrior who protects the most important person in the world, and a mentor for those who wish to learn how to be useful."
"I am royalty. I... I think I am supposed to lead, am I not?"
"To ensure that her royalty not spoil itself with good intentions, that could so easily lead her to sacrificing pointlessly for those who care little for her... Oh, and I suppose, I am an illusionist too, with knowledge of magic, blah blah blah. Beatrice, go see where this fool is, would you?"
"An old and wise man, who keeps an eye out for the greater dangers of this world, and who tries to steer us all clear of them."

"I did really... Care, about him, you know? I didn't mean for... I tried to... Nevermind..."
"My mentor has beaten me many times. Gregory is a harsh, but fair teacher. Whether it is a game of chess, or a game of war."
"I have lost many games of chess before, I... Do not believe I have the mindset for such things. I also lost to another, who took from me my home, but I think I have gone on enough about that, wouldn't you agree?"
"That bitch took from me the only power I could have used to save a life instead of taking it. All for her collection of antiques, it was too dangerous to leave in my hands she said... We'll see just how dangerous I can be, then, won't we?"
"I would have many scars and many lessons from my father, if not for the fact that I am a vampire, and heal my flesh with ease. Beyond that? I suppose I lost a few battles for dominance in the bedroom, to a few people, over the years... I am somewhat glad that I am sterile."

"I probably am the thief? So... You know... I'd have probably just helped him escape and then figured out what he had, and then given him the time of his life and grabbed some of it when he wasn't looking. You know... Honour among thieves."
"Capture him, and take him to the local authority. If he wished to be recruited, then, perhaps that."
"Have the thief captured by my guards, and then, offer him a job as a royal servant--perhaps, helping to pave a road. Something that would pay him so he could help his family."
"Depends. Am I going to get more from the thief, or the merchant, by killing one, or the other?... What are you looking at me like that for, this is just a hypothetical scenario! I would never... Of course, not. No."
"I would find a way to settle the dispute between them without involving the authorities. Otherwise, the merchant needs to survive--taking from him simply because you need it doesn't justify that you are nonetheless harming someone else. Carry your own burdens--that is honour."

"Name's Andy. Greetings. And you are?.."
"A nap, but since I can't, three cups of coffee."
Something warm to drink, a good book, and a companion to share the moment with. Person or dog, I'm not picky.
"How does the saying go...The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb, something like that. I find that my friends have accepted and supported me more than my family ever has, or will."
"Not remembering my father. With only my mom and sister as family..well..I might've had fonder memories of home."
"Hiding in the library, reading medical books I could barely lift in a niche where my mom couldn't get to me."
"Protecting my friends, because they're all bumbling idiots that get hurt if I look away for one moment."
"The healer, or support. Making sure everyone's alright and patching them up after their rounds of fisticuffs."
"My sister lopped off my left arm. She was supposed to kill me for being the family disappointment, but I think she had a change of heart. So she only handicapped me. Yay."
"Being in need doesn't justify his actions. I'd stop him myself. Then I'd help him with his problem so that he doesn't go running off to do it again. Happy store clerk, happy thief, and no paperwork to fill out to authorities. It's all good."

b]#1:[/b] Who are you?

I'm Max Irvaron, Destinial.

To have fun in a adventurous and romantic life.

Maybe some sports, food, just doing anything enjoyable.

Family... I'd not know, because they're all dead. Friends are the people you look up to, though, so yay!

Becoming a Destinial. It sent off a chain of events that killed my family, so yeah.

Meeting Luna Blighter, my girlfriend.

Most people'd say for world peace or crap like that. My motivation? I can beat down baddies and save the world at the same time!

In my group/team Mystic, I play the tactician/strategist.

My sister Camille sacrificed herself to save the world. I could've just died right there.

I'd want to see if the thief has done any really big crimes first. If not, let the crook go.

Back