Died on the Vine

DeJoker

Master of Mayhem
This thread starts the story involving James Leiden Private I, a hard boiled detective who believes he has seen some of the worst that the world has to offer. Little does he know he is about to venture down a path that is going to take him to far darker places than he could ever imagine even existed.

James was sitting in his office contemplating whether to contact his friend Jacob to take out a loan to make sure that Sarah got paid this week. Being a private I, even a fairly note worthy one, during this time had its ups and downs and it seemed more down lately than up. Still he always made sure Sarah got paid and that he had a place to shack up. Sure his hole in the wall apartment was not the Ritz Carlton by any stretch of the imagination but it gave him a place to sleep, other than the office, as well as place to keep his clothes and other belongings. If the economy had not tanked 4 years ago he would probably had a much better place to live in, a place worthy of a wife, a place worthy of Sarah but while he was pretty sure she would make the dive he called home work James wanted to offer her more. Things were bound to get better sooner or later, he just hoped for sooner.

As he sat thinking their came a soft tap on the door, Sarah's knock. "Yes?" he called out and Sarah poked her head in, her wonderful smile seeming to make the room 3 shades brighter than it was, "James there is a lady out here that would like to discuss a case with you, is it okay to send her in?" A nod was all she needed and she moved to open the door wider as she turned to face the client, "He can see you Mrs. La Guardia."

A rather short woman walked into the office. Her clothes spoke wealth and her demeanor spoke pride. "Thank you for seeing me." she said in a heavy italian accented melodic voice. Sarah closed the door and the lady stepped further in and sat down in the available chair. "I have heard mister Leiden that you are one of the best and I believe I am need of such. If you are willing I want you to prove my daughter's innocence." James searched his mind but did not recall hearing the name La Guardia in regards to any crimes but she had said daughter perhaps she had married and had a different last name.

Last edited:
The office was cluttered, photographs and long overdue paperwork covered the desk. Leidan cleared away some of the clutter, knocking a pile of photos off of it. "No, I've not heard the name. What has she been accused of?"He asked, leaning forward in his chair. He pulled out a notebook, and grabbed a loose pen off the desk. He could have this cleared up in no time. If worst came to worst, he could have this lady send a call in to Jacob. He felt his luck was taking a turn for the better. Easy case, easy money.

Her eyes cast down briefly in sadness and she gave a little nod. "It is to be expected I suppose." Then her head came back up and she looked directly into James' eyes and he could almost see the fire of defiance within them. "Do you have a problem with the fact that I am Italian?"

The question was level but James could sense a measure of accusation floating just under the surface. It was no big news to anyone in the area of the political issues that existed surrounding the Italian immigrants. Their had even been that fairly high profile case in all the newspaper along with nearly a world wide outcry just a few years ago where a couple of Italians had been accused of murder and put to death. The protestors all screamed foul play, and that the men were innocent. Further if memory served James correctly there had been a lot of garbled facts in that case, and much of what had been used to convict the men had been fairly circumstantial and/or thin at best. He might have gotten involved in it but he had been up to his eyeballs in a another important case at the time. Still curiosity being what it is, he did review what he could find shortly after the execution during his down time after the case he had been working concluded. What were their names again... his thoughts were interrupted by the intensity of the woman's gaze and the fact that she was awaiting an answer to her question. And yet another unbidden thought quickly danced through his mind, if this ended up being political in nature it might not be as easy a case as it had initially seemed. Further the fact that this woman was dressed as well as she was indicated she was not your typical Italian immigrant she came from money. So what were her political connections, or more precisely who was her family? If he took the case he would have to answer that question as well.

"No ma'am." He said, looking at her. "I just need you to tell me the facts. If you don't help me, then I will be unable to help you. Let's start simple, who is your daughter?" Leidan waited intently for a response.

Her eyes did not waver for few minutes as if trying to look deep into James soul and determine the truth of his words or taking the time to compose her thoughts before speaking. She eventually blinked and said, "Yes since you are taking this case then you will need to know that information. First my daughter was accused of killing her husband. She was convicted of murder in a mockery of a justice a couple of months ago and only just heard about it recently. I have visited my daughter, and she is quite distraught over the whole thing and swears that another man killed her husband." She paused for a moment as if considering something then continued, "Now considering the situation and the necessity to maintain a certain level of social decorum I must insist that you do not speak of this to the press either during or after this has been concluded. Can you do that?"

"Don't worry Ms. Guardia, I assure you all this will remain confidential." He replied with an air of formality. "Can you give me the time at which this happened? And the location?" He asked, taking notes as he spoke.

There was a brief pause and a slight look of irritation on the woman's face then she said, "Good and the name is, Mrs... La Guardia. As to the exact details of the incident I have no knowledge but I am sure that will not be an issue for you, if you are at all as good as I have been told. My daughters name is Fiorina Salsedo and her husband's name was Nicola Salsedo and I believe the incident took place about a month or two ago at their house. I am staying at the Royal Hotel and can be contacted there." She looks down into her purse and asks, "So would fifty dollars be enough to get you started?" She looks back up at James expecting an answer, her hand still within her purse.

"It will be plenty, Miss Guardia" Leidan said. He needed the money, and from past experiences knew to accept what was offered at first, rather than trying to ask for a high price. Even if she could pay more than fifty dollars, that didn't mean she would want to pay more. Besides, she would probably offer more when he actually finished the case. He scribbled down a few more notes, and then said. "I will get started as soon as possible."

At James' response the lady stiffened in her and that look irritation was back perhaps stronger than before. She sat motionless for a moment as if reconsidering things, then without relaxing she pulls out a small envelope from her purse and sets it on the desk. "Then I will be expecting a report by the end of this week as to your progress. If I find your progress satisfactorily I will pay you for another week in advance. However, I must insist that you elevate your communications." She then stood overly properly and said, "My name is Mrs.. La Guardia not Miss Guardia, do you think you can keep that small detail straight?" Her voice at the end almost dripped with condescension. She then turned and headed for the door without turning around she said, "One week mister Ledian." Then she let herself out of the office.

Well other than upsetting the lady some, James had just netted a fairly lucrative job. He might even be able to fix the issue of getting off the wrong foot by presenting a really solid report in one weeks time. Shortly after the lady left Sarah stepped in, "Well how did it go?" There was a bit of concern in here voice.

"Good." He said. He got up from his chair, and walked over to the door. He stopped there, then said to Sarah "If anyone calls, have them leave a message." He picked up his brief case, and gathered his things. "I'll try to be back before 10:00." He opened the door. "Goodbye" He said, pausing in the doorway.

Back