Escaped Experiment

King Lurk

"You may be surprised with what we're trying to get you to eliminate, but please do consider it." The man was known as General Frey - an old man with graying hair and also graying, bushy moustache. He wasn't wearing his general uniform; in fact, he was wearing civilian clothing.

I looked down on the file on the table and I took it. I flipped it open and read through the papers. There was no picture of the target, only a description of what it had done. A creature that had been made by the government and it had escaped. I looked at the general one more time.

"It escaped?" I asked. "How?"

"We're... not sure." The general replied meekly. Incompetent fools. They mess with things much greater than them and they don't even have a backup plan? No, wait. They do. That's us. They're not very good at their job.

I let out a groan so that the general knew what he was feeling about this. "Fine. I assume that everything's in this file? You're not withholding any information from me are you?" I continued to pry, looking the general straight in the eye. He was never fit to be a general in my eyes. It was odd, really. In front of my team and I, he was a mumbling mess. In front of his own team, he was this immovable wall.

"Of course not." The general quickly said. "Everything's in there." He then looked at his watch and he abruptly stood up. "I need to go." He said before bowing his head ever so slightly and then headed out the door.

It wasn't the first time we've gotten a job like this. In fact, this was probably our third time getting this kind of job. The first time was the hardest, it always was. Like the first time hurting someone, the first time killing someone - it was hard. As years pass by, the feelings lessen until they were nothing.

I stretched and then press the comm button. "Well team, we have a target."

---------------------------------

It had been days since we set out in search of the experiment. We only had a brief description of it and what direction it headed to - nothing more than that. It was mighty hard to find it. Whatever it was.

The file read:

Experiment #28 - appears to have a female humanoid figure. Telekinesis, regeneration, lightning manipulation.

Amazing information isn't it? It's so horribly lacking that I don't even know what exactly the scientists were doing. But whatever, they're paying big bucks for this.

"Hey Flint, where do 'ya think she went?" My head turned to the speaking male.

"I don't know Yuri." Flint snapped rather harshly. "You want to be the one tracking her down? Not that easy y'know."

"Well, sorry." Flint replied with a roll of his eyes.

Yuri and Flint - twin brothers. Ex-military, went AWOL after an incident they won't talk about. They were pitiful when I found them, running away from the government. I offered them a job as killers and in exchange, I can protect them from persecutions. They joined almost instantly.

Of course, since the government goes to me for assassinating people because they can't get their hands dirty themselves, I managed to get them out of the government's reach by pulling some strings. Like me, they've been removed from the face of the Earth. No one has records on us.

"Scorch marks over here. Do you think she was the one who caused them?" A female's voice piped up. Flint walked over to her and then ran his finger against the mark.

"Yeah. Nice catch Erin." Flint gave her a smile before disappearing into the alleyway where the scorch mark was pointing him to.

I walked over to Erin and then patted her back. "Good job kid." Erin's our newest recruit. Yuri was the one who found her. She told me her story. She was a mercenary for hire. She seemed good at her job but it seemed she was double crossed by her client. Yuri found her running away from her supposed-to-be killers and helped her out. How, they did not say.

"Thanks Leonard." She replied before standing up and then following Flint into the alleyway. I looked over to Yuri and then followed behind the two. To be honest, Erin was much more closer to Flint than to his twin brother who was her savior. It was something to chuckle about every now and then.

"Oh shit." Flint audibly said and our heads all snapped forward.

"What is it Flint?" I called out.

"I think I found her... and she's not too happy about it!"

We all charged forward. She was in the city's square. Very spacious and had a lot of hiding places. She was at the middle, her body covered in electricity - so much that you can't even see the body within the electricity anymore.

It seemed that the experiment turned to us, but her movement was small.

"Get to cover!"

And everything exploded into motion. I quickly took shelter behind a small wall and I could see the others ducking behind their own covers. We all take out our weapons. Erin took out her twin pistols. Yuri, our heavy, took out a heavy machine gun. Flint took out a rifle. As for me? Well, a sword could suffice.

I was an experiment myself after all.

"Get away from me!" She shouted, hurling another set of electric bolts towards us.

"Uh, no!" I could hear Yuri yell back before opening fire - bullets tearing through the air and towards the experiment. I peeked out of my cover to see that the bullets were being stopped.

"Telekinesis remember!" I barked before running while taking cover as she continued to barrage her lightning bolts at us.

"Fucking-!" Was that Flint? Yeah, it was most likely him. Did he get hit? No matter. I needed to get behind her. Right now. If she can't see me, she can't use her telekinesis on me. Getting through the electric barrier should be easy enough.

As I peered over the cover once more, Erin caught my eye. It was only for a moment but I managed to convey everything to her.

Distract her.

Erin smirked and then nodded. "Hey, lightning girl! Eat lead!" She shouted before unleashing a volley of bullets before yelping as a bolt nearly hit her and she disappeared into her cover. It... missed? Was the experiment getting tired or was she getting angry? Whatever it was, it would be playing to our advantage. If she wasn't accurate, she can't hit any of us.

"Shit! Shit! Shit!" Yuri was yelling and I had to look over. His jacket was on fire. He must have been grazed. He threw it down on the ground before having to dive down to avoid yet another bolt. At least he wasn't too hurt. I wonder how Flint was doing.

Finally, I reached her back. She was too focused at attacking my team to even notice me there. I slid out my sword from the sheathe and then stealthily walked towards her. I raised my left hand and then snapping it, forcing the lightning to bend towards my will - to become flames. Slowly, the blue lightning turned into red fire, shocking the experiment. Before she could turn around, I leaped towards her, her lightning armor disappearing into a mass of flames, something that cannot hurt me.

I landed on her and forced her to the ground. I pressed my arm against the back of her neck, causing her to choke and the remaining lightning armor began to disappear. Whoever this was certainly didn't expect another experiment to be sent after her. She wasn't any good at fighting too - must have been a recent escapee who didn't bother with the training they eventually gave us all. Idiot girl.

I could smell burning flesh. It must have been from her. "Are you guys alright?" I called out to my team.

"I think I have a few burns but I'm swell!" Yuri replied, propping himself up on the small wall that we had used as cover.

"I'm fine but Flint's badly injured! We have to take him to the doctor or something!" Erin replied. "He can hold out though, he's been through worse." She continued.

"Yeah..." I heard Flint groan before flinching in pain. Erin must be treating his wound.

"Got it. Let me finish up first." I told them before flipping over the woman.

She should at least see her killer before she met her maker. It didn't matter, she wouldn't be able to use her powers when she's short on air supply and I was giving her the bare minimum to breathe.

My eyes widened. Black hair flowing down her body, unique royal blue eyes and even the scar over her cheek. I can't mistake her for anyone else.

"Lyra?"

And for the first time in such a long time, I felt hesitation.

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

A/N: So I may update this again sometime in the future. I know it's not all that great (I'm also not too used at first person) but I did this thanks to a friend who sent me the prompt. Hope you guys enjoy.

Back