Hello! New... roommate?

King Lurk

It had only been a few days since he posted an alert on the internet that his apartment was open for another occupant.

James Leonard Harrison was in no way poor. He didn't need another occupant because he needed someone else to shoulder half the payment for the rent. Instead, he was doing it out of boredom and loneliness. He's heard that having roommates was amazing, since you get to play with them without having to meet up. You get to make new friends too. So James was looking forward to anyone who wanted to become his roommate.

He was offering it up for a cheap price, since he doesn't need to worry about the money. He just wanted a decent person to live with. That was all, as long as they weren't psychopathic or a sociopath or someone who wants to steal from him, he was fine with it. Admittedly, he was even fine if the other occupant would be a female!

James was leaning back on his sofa and watching his TV when his doorbell rang. "Coming!" He yelled out before getting off of his sofa and then turned down the volume to the TV. He wasn't expecting for anyone to come over and it might just be some random entrepreneur that was looking for someone to sell something to, but it would rather rude not to at least look.

"What do you need?" He asked through the door. It was rather unfortunate, but the door didn't come with a peep hole.

"Oh, you had an ad about the room being open? I wondered if I could move in?" A cheery, female voice replied from the other side.

James's eyes sparkled in glee as she mentioned that she wanted to be the roommate. He quickly opened the door without much hesitation. "Cool, let's..." He stopped as he finally got a look at her.

She was taller than him by a few inches. She had red skin which looked rather scaly, like a reptile's. He could see a tail jutting out from behind her that was swishing from left to right and back again. She had a bright smile on her face which showed her rather sharp teeth. Her hair was fiery red, a brighter color than her dark red skin.

"Talk..." He was unlike anyone he has ever seen before.

Monsters weren't normal in this part of the world. In fact, he was pretty sure that they were extinct by this point since they were being constantly hunted and shunned. To see a monster right in front of him, all cheery like there's not a problem in the world, was surprising.

"Can I go in?" She questioned, looking at him while tilting her head.

James blinked and then stepped to the side. "Uh, yeah, sure." She inclined her head in a gesture of appreciation and then walked in with two traveler bags in tow. He closed the door and then looked back at her, still stunned.

"Nice place you've got here. Pretty warm too." She praised, looking around with a smile on her face. "I like it here. Can I stay?"

"I-uh..." He shook his head. "I mean, why?"

She stretched her arms, showing off black spines coming out. "Well, you know how it is with us monsters." She said with a shrug. "I got run out from my old place so I needed a new one. Then you posted an opening so here I am."

James nodded his head slowly. "I didn't think monsters lived here anymore. Ferrenrow isn't exactly... monster friendly." He pointed out.

"The government don't like squatters. And yet, there are still some. Just because we're not accepted doesn't mean we're just going to up and leave." She retorted with a roll of her eyes.

"Still." James replied with a shrug.

"So, can I stay or not?"

"I don't even know your name." James replied.

Her eyes widened in realization. This was the moment he realized that she had yellow eyes with black slits as her pupil, once more like a reptilian. "My name's Shie'min. You can call me Shie." She then extended her hand, the scales seemingly moving.

James moved to shake her hand. Her hand was rather rough, just to be expected from scales he imagined. "James Harrison. Nice to meet you." He then let go and then continued, "Can you tell me anything about yourself? Aside from being a monster?"

"Well, because I'm a monster, I don't have a good job but I make an earning through heavy lifting at some construction company." She replied with a dismissive tone. "I eat a lot though, so I spend a lot on food. Do you cook?"

"Huh?" He was taken off guard by her sudden questioning. "I do."

"Great! Can't wait to eat some of your cooking!" Shie'min exclaimed with a toothy grin.

James flinched. "Yeah, yeah... yeah..." He replied.

Wait. He didn't tell her that she was alright to be his roommate. Though from what he can see, with her enthusiasm and whatnot, he felt rather guilty if he were to turn her down. She didn't have anywhere else to go, and it didn't look like she was too keen in leaving Ferrenrow, no matter how hated the monster community was at this city.

He sighed before reaching over for a paper and pen before handing it to her. "Sign there. It has all the rules, personal and the apartment's overall rule. If you agree with it, then just sign it and we're good to go."

Shie'min's grin widened and then she jumped in joy before kneeling down so that she could place the paper on a table. "Ooh, I'm so excited! I've never roomed with a human before!" She exclaimed as she signed almost immediately.

"Did you even read it?" James asked worriedly.

"Yeah no problem! I'll be on my best behavior!" She exclaimed once more as she handed him the paper.

He shook his head with a small smile. He then took the paper and pointed at something. "Can't be too loud." He said. "Rule nine for the overall apartment. The walls are pretty thin so you can hear someone pretty easily from the other side."

She gave him an embarrassed smile. "Sorry."

James gestured for her to follow. "So, I don't think it would be a good idea to just go out like that. There's an elderly couple at the end of the apartment. While they're pretty nice, they're not on good terms with monsters."

"Got it." She stood up and then began to follow James.

"So that's my room." He said, pointing at a blue door. "And that's yours." He pointed at the red door on the opposite of the blue door. "There's not much decoration there so you can just decorate it however."

Shie'min nodded, but stayed silent.

"So, you've been in the living room. Cozy ain't it?" He said with a smile as he pointed towards where they had been. "Kitchen and dining room's right over there." He continued.

She smirked. "Sweet! Let's have a great stay together eh, James?" She said, bringing up her hand in a fist.

He raised his eyebrow and then jokingly shook his head. "Yeah." He then bumped his fist against hers.

Maybe it wouldn't be too bad rooming with a monster.

Hopefully... nothing wrong would come to pass in her stay here at his room. She was such a cheery person after all.

And thus begins James Harrison's challenge of keeping up with a reptilian monster girl who's technically a second class citizen.

Hmm...I think this should be more developed. I mean, the whole thing so far feels like the beginning of a slice-of-life urban fantasy story or something, and I wanna see more of their world. How did the monsters come to be in more public view in the world of humans? Was it something like the mechanics of MonMusu? Or did it happen through some other way? And what sort of everyday troubles does James's new roommate have to go through? Stuff like that, yo.

Back