Help describing characters

Inconspicuous

Super classy secret agent
I have the hardest time describing characters, especially when role-playing. How would I describe someone/something, and could I have an example?

I always like to describe the key details first, so something like "A dark-skinned girl with bouncing black curls and bright eyes" in the first line, and in the next one, "She kicked her converse shoes back and forth against the desk, her bare shoulders pulled back as she basked in the summer sun". You know, describe the character a little at a time.

I always like to describe the key details first, so something like "A dark-skinned girl with bouncing black curls and bright eyes" in the first line, and in the next one, "She kicked her converse shoes back and forth against the desk, her bare shoulders pulled back as she basked in the summer sun". You know, describe the character a little at a time.
Thanks!

Physical:
  • Height:
  • Weight:
  • Body Build:
  • Sex:
  • Clothing: (Pants/Shirt/Socks. Nobody needs to know your undergarments unless you plan on showing them to the world.)
  • Ethnicity:
  • Hair Style:
  • Hair Colour:
  • Eye Colour:
  • Unique Features: (Scars, Jewelry, Birthmarks, Sacred Items, et cetera.)
  • Armour: (If any)
  • Weapons: (If any)

Personality:
  • Optimist or Pessimist?
  • Outgoing or Reclusive?
  • Logical or Emotional?
  • Naive or Wizened?
  • Trusting or Paranoid?
  • Skeptical or Faithful?
  • Warlike or Pacifistic?
  • Romantic or Cold?
  • Sexually Charged or Reluctant and Shy?
  • Brave or Nervous?
  • Cunning or Oblivious?
Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

You also don't generally need to answer every single question about your character right from the word "go." Often, characters will develop over their first few posts, finding their natural tone and rhythm as you get used to them and the role they play in a group.

I actually like to describe characters initially by what makes them different from each other. "Unlike Kate, Julia was shorter with darker skin. She had brown hair and eyes and cared much more about boys and fashion."

Back