How Green Becomes Wood

"Of course I got him something," Daizi said with a crooked grin, sitting down at the table, subtly obscuring her hand from view, "But it's just a little thing. I suppose I can give it to home at any order, but I don't know how long I can contain my excitement about it."

"He'll be down soon," Daizi said, turning her head towards the stairs, "he was stirring when I got up to get Ivy. But he likes sleeping in, and I let him. I'll go first, if it's no trouble." Frankly, she doubted he wouldn't notice before she had a chance to show him, and she wanted to tell him rather than be asked about it. "Honestly, we should have staggered our entrances so he didn't feel like he was making an entrance."

Sure enough, Dark soon came downstairs, a little sleepy, but since he had the awareness people were doing something special for him, he felt poorly about staying in bed any longer.

"Happy Father's Day, Goose," Daizi cooed when she heard him enter the kitchen, and then, "Ivy-Qadira, tell Baba Happy Father's Day!" before handing him Ivy to distract him while she got up to make coffee.

"Thank you," he said, fighting back every urge to tell everyone they did not need to do anything for him, because he knew it was no use, and it they deserved to have their efforts appreciated and not downplayed as unnecessary.

"Good morning! Happy Father's Day!" Alec cheered. He attempted to say "Happy Father's Day" in Arabic but ended up sounding like something about cheese amid gibberish.

Xander stared at him. "That was atrocious."

"I know, but I'd like to see you do better," Alec said, sticking his tongue out at his brother.

Xander shrugged and said the individual words for "Happy." "Father's." "Day." "Baba," he added.

Dark smiled his tiny, loving smile as he hugged Ivy close, "Thank you. Good morning.
I do appreciate your attempt--perhaps it will be easier when your tongue is more awake."

"Are you still tired, darling?" Daizi asked as she made him his coffee.

"I always am in the mornings," He answered, setting Ivy on the table so he could better look at her face, and for the first time noticed her onesie, "What a sweet little outfit you are wearing, my lovely girl." He smoothed the back of her hair, "Thank you, Ivy, that is a very sweet message." Then, after giving her a well-earned forehead kiss, he said, "It is worth being a bit tired to spend the morning with you all."

"I was working on that for like an hour last night," Alec grumbled. "I'm supposed to be able to pronounce better than you."

"Probably why you're too tired to get it right now," Xander pointed out. "Don't worry about it. You can try again later, like he said."

"Hmm, true." Alec smiled and turned his attention back to Dark. "Breakfast is ready for you! Are you ready for it?"

He waved one hand affectionately, "Try again later. I will forget your first attempt, albuma." He set Ivy back in his lap, not wanting to put her in her high chair because it was Father's day and he loved holding her, "Breakfast sounds wonderful."

Daizi came and set his coffee down for him and then sat beside him, resting her chin in her right hand as she faced him, her left hand in her lap and out of sight and her face overflowing with her affection, "When do you want your presents?"

"It does not matter to me," He answered, once more battling the urge to tell them how much they didn't need to.

"It should matter to you," Xander said bluntly. "It's your day, yeah? It's nationally acclaimed."

"True," Alec agreed. "Of all days, today is the perfect day for you to be a little selfish, don't you think? So, when do you want them?"

He looked up at them, remembering when last he had heard words like those, but he didn't really know how best to answer, because, "I will receive them regardless, yes? So I am in no rush, but also have no desire to wait for a specific time. It does not matter to me because it will be pleasant at any hour."

"How about after breakfast?" Daizi asked, because she was feeling impatient.

"After breakfast is perfectly suitable," He answered, and earnestly said, "I only wish to be with you all, the rest is extra."

"Aw, you are so sweet, Baba," Alec grinned as he and Xander started bringing the food to the table. "I am glad that any time is pleasant for you, and it really does give us delight to provide you with all the extras!"

"You're so sappy," Xander grumbled. "All of you. Except maybe the mini. She's just drooly, but that's okay."

Once all the food was on the table, they sat down to eat. Xander made short work of his plate, as did Alec.

Dark enjoyed is breakfast at his usual pace, although seeing how quickly Alec ate made him wonder if he should speed up for their sake, because everyone else seemed maybe more excited than he was. Not that he wasn't excited to open his father's day presents, but it was less about what was in it, and more about seeing the thought and effort his family put in for him. When they had all finished eating, Daizi got up to clear the plates, and then sat down in front of him.

"Okay, Goose," She said, both hands in her lap, "We decided I was going to show you my present first." Then, she took a breath and held out her left hand to him, which he took, momentarily confused, and then he saw, and he turned her hand over in his, looking at her ring finger with wide eyes.

"What did you do?" He asked, not looking up at her yet.

"What you had talked about," She answered, grinning, "The red string, I said I'd do it for you. So I did."

"No, but, finger tattoos hurt--" He looked up at her, finally, flattered but also concerned.

"I know," She laughed, "It did hurt, the entire time I was asking myself why you do this. But it was worth it. Because I'm tied to you."

Dark looked down again at her finger, touching it so lightly that he could barely feel the wrappings, "Did you do this last night? Where did you go?"

"Sol."

He blinked, beginning to comprehend the extent of this scheme, "You did not have to do this," he told her, "You cannot even see it."

"I know. Do you like it?"

He answered immediately and emphatically, "Yes."

"Then I did need to." She grinned, kissing his still-shocked face.

"No way, you got a tattoo?" Xander demanded, leaning over to look. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"Because it wasn't for us and none of our business," Alec giggled. He winced at the sight of the tattoo. "That's pretty, but it sure looks painful!"

"I like it," Xander told her, settling back.

Alec gave Daizi and Dark a little more time to talk about the tattoo before holding out a square box to Dark. "Mine next!"

Inside the box was the most stereotypical white "World's Best Dad" mug he could find. Neatly coiled inside the mug was a golf-themed green tie.

"I got it last night when I went out with my friends, we've had it planned since before Mother's Day, and I didn't tell you because I couldn't risk the secret getting out." She answered succinctly, while Dark was trying to get over the shock of his blind wife going out of her way to be jabbed with a needle repeatedly in a particularly painful area for something she'd never be able to see herself. Just because she knew he would like it, and he loved it.

When he recovered enough of his wits, he opened up Alec's present, and was he took out the mug and the tie, he chuckled lightly but looked at Alec with mild concern, wanting to mention he didn't even play golf, "Thank you."

Alec grinned. "It was the most stereotyped dad gift I could think of other than maybe a polo shirt and a belt," he explained. "You only have to wear the tie when you are around other dads." He winked, knowing full-well Dark didn't play golf and probably wouldn't even like the game.

Xander smirked at the mug. Alec had told him what he was getting, but he hadn't seen the end product.

"I do like the mug, for what is is," Dark said, admittedly amused by the joke, "but if I must wear the tie around other dads, I think I will avoid being around other dads. It is... very bright." He ran it through his fingers and wrapped it around one hand, giving it its due, "but I will gladly store it with the rest of my ties."

"You already avoid being with other dads," Xander pointed out.

"But I am glad it gets the honor of being stored in the tie drawer," Alec giggled, finding Dark holding a tie covered in golf clubs, golf tees, and golf balls on a grassy green background hilarious. "At least the mug is useful!"

Xander handed Dark his gift next. It was a bit more messily wrapped than Alec's and not as heavy. Inside was a piece of wood about six inches wide by six inches tall and just thick enough to stand on its own, though there were two tiny hangers in the back so it could be put up like a picture. On the front, carefully carved into the wood by a cautious if inexperienced hand, were the words, "Thank you for being the father you needed." Next to the words was a small, single sunflower head etched into the wood, which according to Xander's (confusing) research was supposed to represent fatherhood. That was it. No decorative flair, no ornamentation, no frills, just the words and the simple flower. Xander didn't quite look at Dark, worried he'd over stepped or that the words weren't clear. He'd gone through multiple renditions and more wood than he wanted to admit to get this end product, and he still wasn't sure it was good enough or if Dark would find it offensive.

"I already avoid being with people," Dark corrected, setting the mug and tie down. "Now I have a motivation to avoid other fathers in particular." Then he took Xander's present from him and opened the box, taking out the engraved piece of wood. Originally, he had taken it out of the box upside down, but when he turned it the right way so he could read it properly, his breath caught in his throat as the words hit him. The sunflower he didn't recognize the symbolism of, but that wasn't what he was focused on.

Thank you for being the father you needed.

Daizi had said something similar to him a few weeks ago, and it had run him over then, too. He saw the imperfect carved marks, and how Xander had, clearly, tried to make him something using the materials he preferred, and understood why that was important.

He really had needed a different father. Deserved a different father, probably, but he still found that difficult to admit. And still needed, and still deserved, but that was even more difficult, too. Once he had been as small and as innocent as Ivy was now. He had once wanted toys to play with and been afraid of the dark. And then he got older, and he made spelling mistakes and liked playing on the swings. He played chess and watched tanks roll up his street and went to sleep not knowing if his home was next to be hit. And at no point was he comforted when he was scared or stressed or crying. At no point when he was praised when he succeeded in something new. Instead, his father was, to him, just as bad as the shadows in the corner when he was little, and just as bad as bombs, or worse, and he was inescapable until he was gone, and then he had to move somewhere new, alone, and had to fall in love and have his heart broken alone, and then fall in love again. He graduated alone, grieved alone, and struggled alone. Cooger had been able to call his parents and his grandparents, Daizi had been able to call her father and her aunts, and who could he talk to? Who could he call?

He got married, he had a baby, he adopted children, and... Who did he have to show him to? Who held him the way Saladin had held Daizi? For all his flaws and all the ways he had harmed his daughter, he traveled across an ocean to be there for her, in the end. Even if his father lived, he would not have made the journey. And Dark would not have wanted him to, because the man his father had been, was not the father he had needed.

But according to Xander, and according to Daizi, he was. And he couldn't save himself, but he was saving his boys, and his daughter was never doing to know what it was like to need to be saved.

"Thank you," He said, softly, and then, furrowing his eyebrows, "and--you are... welcome."

Alec had to tip his head to read the saying. Xander had only told him he was attempting to carve a saying for Dark and not what it was. Now that he saw it, his breath caught slightly. He sat back, watching Dark's minuscule expressions flicking across his face. He reached over and gently took Xander's hand, squeezing it as he forced himself to tear up. So, that was what Xander had been working so hard on! Alec fully approved and agreed. He squeezed his brother's hand lightly.

Xander waited in silence until Dark finally said something. He looked up, relieved at the genuine thank you, and then flushed at the "you are welcome." He wanted to say something more, to try to express what Dark meant to him, to them both, but the words didn't come. It seemed his gift had said it for him. He looked down and nodded, squeezing Alec's hand back. He had the odd desire to hug Dark for just an instant.

Alec cleared his throat. "There's one more," he said, his voice catching with emotion as he tried to move on.

Daizi felt the change in the mood, and not understanding carefully crept in so she could feel whatever it was Xander had given Dark, and feeling the words, her face twitched with sad joy. Those were words she had felt about him, and told him, and now he was seeing them again, not quite carved in stone, but close to it. And leaned in to rest her cheek against Dark's shoulder, letting him feel everything he needed to feel, only speaking up when Alec reminded them there was another present, "It can wait."

He still needed time, and one thing she never did was rush him. She was more than content to sit in relative silence beside him until he was ready. Ivy still cooed and babbled and squeaked, trying to grab onto all of the new things around her, and Enkidu still paced, but Daizi was quiet because Dark wasn't ready to speak yet.

Finally, Dark took a deep breath and set the sign down, and took a sip of the cold remnants of his coffee, purely to have a firm shut to that box for the time being. "You did a nice job carving it," He said, because discussing the craftsman was simpler, "I will have to find a nice place for it. Thank you."

"The last present is from Ivy," Daizi said, handing him the final package.

"Oh, sweet girl! You gave Baba a present? You did not need to, my darling Ivy-Qadira. Do you want to help Baba open it?" He asked, moving the box close to let her help rip the paper, praising her efforts before taking out the storybook Daizi had put together for him, and when he saw what was clearly an illustration of himself and his family on the cover, his grim heart fluttered. Still speaking to his daughter he said, "A special book! Thank you, Ivy! Baba loves it!" Then after giving his baby a deserved kiss, asked Daizi, "How did you make this?"

"Me?" She asked coyly, "No, that is Ivy's gift to you, it was all her efforts... And Alec's, he added your tattoos in for you."

"The tattoos were a lot of fun," Alec said cheerfully. "And much easier at a tiny scale since I only had to get the right shapes, not every detail." He and Xander exchanged a tiny smirk. They wondered how long it would be before Dark spotted the tiny secrets hidden within the book. Though the book was primarily about Ivy, Alec had added in himself and Xander in on every page, but hidden in the details. Sometimes it was at a tiny scale, sometimes more abstract, but they were there, hidden, on every page, usually making funny faces. Enkidu made a few appearances, too.

Back