How to write a medieval fantasy fic?

Risha

Part-Time NEET
Most of my fic ideas came from my dreams. And this one got me interested.

It sets in a medieval fantasy theme--you know... typical princes, princesses, kingdoms, and probably dragons (I don't know if I'm describing the right terms since I haven't written anything with this theme). It has promising characters (very comical personalities) and I got interested on challenging myself to write this theme...like a change of pace.

The thing is, as I mentioned earlier, I don't know how to write in such theme. Would you kindly give me tips and advices on the elements of the theme and how mostly these kind of stories go?

Thank you! ^_^

On the side note, I might use one of the characters in a roleplay here. Some tips about character creation would be also appreciated. ^_^

I like to make my own fantasy and sci-fi settings, so I can help a bit.

First figure out if you want it to be high fantasy or low fantasy. High Fantasy is where the physics of the world is totally unlike ours, think Elder Scrolls. Low Fantasy is where the world might as well be ours, just with fantastical creatures and magic, think Game of Thrones.

Secondly, who's going to be in your setting? Do you want it to be only humans, do you want it to be the standard humans, elves and dwarves or do you want something entirely different?

Thirdly figure out how magic is going to work. Is it going to the grand key to everything in the world or is it going to be more in the background? Can anyone use it or only certain people? Is magic widespread in the world, to the point where it is common to see in everyday life, or is it rather limited in its use? Can magic replace technology and even surpass it in some cases or can technology match or even best magic? These are questions I usually ask myself, but there's more I usually have to answer, so I won't overwhelm you too much.

I think I can put in more, I just need to think of them. Feel free to ask me if you have questions.

I like to make my own fantasy and sci-fi settings, so I can help a bit.

First figure out if you want it to be high fantasy or low fantasy. High Fantasy is where the physics of the world is totally unlike ours, think Elder Scrolls. Low Fantasy is where the world might as well be ours, just with fantastical creatures and magic, think Game of Thrones.

Secondly, who's going to be in your setting? Do you want it to be only humans, do you want it to be the standard humans, elves and dwarves or do you want something entirely different?

Thirdly figure out how magic is going to work. Is it going to the grand key to everything in the world or is it going to be more in the background? Can anyone use it or only certain people? Is magic widespread in the world, to the point where it is common to see in everyday life, or is it rather limited in its use? Can magic replace technology and even surpass it in some cases or can technology match or even best magic? These are questions I usually ask myself, but there's more I usually have to answer, so I won't overwhelm you too much.

I think I can put in more, I just need to think of them. Feel free to ask me if you have questions.

:eek: These are very helpful! Thank you very much!

I will evaluate these points first before I ask further. Thanks again!

Back