Inked [1x1]

"That's good. Don't get anywhere if you don't try." He laughed. "These ones are good at what they do, so don't freak out if you feel like you've gone deaf," he said as he held up the other earplug. "You can put the other one in now. If you need me, you'll have to wave your hand in front of my face, or something like that." He laughed, demonstrating with his free hand, before slipping the earplug in and shutting his eyes.

Laila laughed, too, before quietly slipping in her other ear plug as well. She watched Otto, for a few seconds, before closing her eyes and doing the same. It was terrifying, at first, to hear absolutely nothing but silence. Her thoughts were a lot louder than they had before. Focus on the darkness, she reminded herself and focused on the absence of light and sound. She waited, for what felt like over an hour (probably wasn't) until she realized that her mind was... blank. Then she opened her eyes, picked up her pen, and began to write.

Having done it hundreds of times, the silence barely fazed Otto anymore. When Laila had opened her eyes, Otto had already been working for enough time to finish two marks. He glanced up when he saw her pick up the pen, unintentionally breaking himself out of the trance. He'd never been too good at staying in them, anyway. He pretended to keep on working, though he was focusing less on his marks (which were now coming out a little odd looking) and more on trying to get a peek at what Laila was writing.

She didn't know if she was in a trance, but she was definitely focused on writing. The silence had awoken her muse, it seemed and her hand sped across the page, sometimes stopping to cross something out and write a substitute above the word. She didn't notice her table mate peeking over at her writing.

“Look… it’s all there.” The brunette smiled prettily at her debt collector who grunted down at the small human. The dwarf he worked for snatched the bag and opened it peering at the bag of coins suspiciously.
“What did you do to them?”
Mia sighed exhaled, exasperated, “Would I really screw you over? Come on.” She gestured to the bag, “just take it so you and I can be done with one another.” He grabbed a coin from the bag and bit into it, viciously. Mia winced, so did the dwarf.
“Tastes real… "He sounded suspicious you could have had someone magic them.” She shrugged. The bag of coins were real as they could be, but she did not have the brightest reputation with this dwarf--her own doing, not that she was apologetic. The dwarf gestured forward a bored looking elf.
“I can tell from here that magic has not been used on them. They are the real deal.”
“Great!” Mia clapped her hands together and smiled at all gathered, “so we’re done here?” She was already edging for the day.
“No, we’re not.” Snarled Thestrat Silverhide and his muscle, either a goblin or just a really ugly human snatched at her shirt. “You’ve screwed me over for the last time, Emily.”
She’d kind of expected this. Even with the promise called over her shoulder to pay the dwarf back, he’d just seemed so angry the last time she’d seen him. The last time she'd seen him, she was already on the run and calling over her shoulder a promise to pay him back. He was angry then and still seemed so now. “Sorry, boys,” the pretty smile was back, “but I can’t stay to play today.” The human managed to shrug, even with the collar of her shirt in the grips of the muscle man. She’d no sooner finished speaking when she thrust her pointer and middle finger directly into the goon’s eyes, no hesitation. He screeched and grabbed at his face as Mia whirled and shoved her way through the closed door. She pranced down the stairs leading to the rest of the tavern and pushed through the few afternoon patrons.
Once outside Mia didn’t stop running until she’d reached the safety of another shop. She doubted that Silverhide would have followed her since he had her money and she doubted the ugly human would have been able to follow her, likely blinded at the moment. There was only a small part of her that hoped it would be temporary.

----

Later the same evening, dressed like a man and her hair neatly stuffed under a cap, Mia approached the same tavern. Now that it was evening there was much more activity. The door was propped open, allowing the warm spring air to filter through the sweaty bodies of the drunkards. The small unassuming boy went unnoticed slipping through the crowd to the back stairs.
With a full bar downstairs, Mia knew her dwarf friend would be busy downstairs keeping the ale and coin flowing. Once upstairs, the rogue paused and listened quietly. There was no movement in the small office. From her pockets the woman produced what could easily be mistaken for as a very ordinary rock. She placed it by the door and whispered a simple incantation and the rock shook, glowing green.
There were no magical enchantments on the door, Silverhide overconfident in his ability to keep the room safe. Picking the lock was just as easy, the skill being second nature to the woman by this point. She sighed when the lock clicked open and listened intently. There was still no sound from inside the room, but that didn’t mean no one was waiting inside. Cautiously she eased the door open and when she peeked through the doorway she spotted her bag of money, still sitting on the table.
Dark eyes scanned the room looking for someone, anyone, lurking but she saw nothing and with a light step entered the room, closing the door behind her. The work that followed was quick. After some searching, Mia found some other bags of debts that had been paid. Quietly she collected the money, adding up to what she’d given Silverhide earlier that day, replacing every coin with a fake. It might look like some others might have cheated him, but that was hardly Mia’s problem; her debt was paid without losing a coin.
Not long after she was easing herself back down the stairs, blending in with the drunkards and slipping right by the same elf from earlier as he entered the tavern. It was not long until she was headed out of town on the back of a horse she’d cheated out of a drunk gambler a fortnight prior.
Within the span of three days, Mia had payed off the remaining of her debts in the area in much the same fashion.

Laila looked up, seeing something out of the corner of her eye, and when she did she caught Otto's eye. Smiling, she took one plug out. "Peeking?"

Last edited:
It was a little bit difficult to read from upside down, but Otto could make most of it out. A smile played across his face as he read, quite liking the main character's cheating ways. He saw Laila catch him, and plucked the ear plugs out. "No," he said with a smirk. "Why on earth would I even try and peek after you told me not to?" He jokingly asked, setting the plugs down by the nearly finished drawing of a corsage.

Dramatically laying herself down upon her legal pad and glaring at Otto, suspiciously, teasing. "I'm pretty sure you were and now you've lied to me and I'm going to have to reevaluate this whole friendship." After a beat, "What did you think?"

Otto quirked his eyebrow. "Oh, the horror!" He leant back and draped his hand over his forehead. "How will I ever recover?" He chuckled and returned back to normal, one elbow on the table. "I liked it. Mia's a pretty cool girl," he said with a smirk.

"You did read it!" She pointed a finger at him, accusing... but she was smiling. "Fair is fair. Let me see what you did during out little project?" She gestured to where he'd been drawing. "I'm sure you got far more done than I did."

Otto raised his hands to his heart, as if he'd been shot. "Ack! You got me!" He groaned, a dumb grin on his face. He looked down at the drawings he'd done and shrugged. "Not really. I was busy reading," he teased, brushing the ear plugs away and turning the book around. "Just that one...and that one," he said, flicking between a drawing of a candle and a fang-bearing snake. "And then that one was nearly done. But I got side tracked," he said with a smirk, flicking to the corsage.

She studied his artwork carefully, taking care to notice the details of each image. "Uh-huh, I won't be blamed for you inability to focus." Laila grinned up at him as she returned the book. "So, let's say a girl meets a rather cute artist while at a coffee shop and he helped her regain her inspiration, what would he be looking for as a thank you?"

Otto smiled, laying the book back down in front of him. He quirked an eyebrow, taking a sip of his coffee to hide his blush. "Well, perhaps a poem, describing every inch of the rather cute artist in painstaking detail?" He teased, eyebrows raised. He waved a hand in the air dismissively. "Or maybe not. You number will do, I think," he said, already turning to the back page of his exercise book. He held out the mechanical pencil, eyebrow raised in a sort of dare.

Laila took the pencil and the book, meeting his cocky gaze with a wink. 'Roses are red. Violets are blue. You're kind of cute. But I'm cuter than you." She included her phone number and slid the book back. "Poetry is not my expertise." She smiled and packed the book and the legal pad into her bag, "I should go. We did the talking thing, the flirting thing, and the phone number exchange thing, if I stay any longer we'll move into the awkward thing instead of the 'pretty girl waits for the guy to call' thing, so." She stood, lugging the heavy bag up with her, barely missing another customer's head.

Otto turned the book around. He skimmed over the poem, then looked up to meet Laila's eyes. He smiled. "Maybe watch we don't skip to the 'I have to bail you out of jail' thing," he said, nodding towards the person she'd nearly hit.

Laila was blushing furiously, but she was smiling as she turned around. "Maybe, maybe not." And then, without a backwards look, she was out of the cafe.

Once outside, Laila sighed. Harmless flirting, she reminded herself, but there was still a smile on her face as she walked home. She hadn't done as much writing as she'd intended, but she was feeling inspired and in the quiet of her apartment bedroom, Laila put in her new ear plugs and spent the rest of the evening writing.

Otto smiled as he watched Laila leave. A part of him was tempted to call right away, just to see how she reacted. He forced himself not to, however, going back to his designing. His mind was all abuzz, unable to focus even when he put the earplugs in. Eventually, he gave up, finishing his coffee and packing his things away. Today was his day off, so he spent the rest of his time wandering around the town, somewhat aimlessly, but also hoping to keep himself calm and stop from looking too eager.

By the time Otto called Laila, it was the next day. He'd just finished a tattoo for someone - a pointed high heel - and was now on his break in the back room. The sound of tattoo machines at work buzzed through the walls. He pulled his design book out of his leather bag, flipping to the last page. He smiled at the poem again, and picked up the tattoo parlour's phone receiver. He dialled her number and prayed quietly to the Saint that she would pick up.

Last edited:
Laila honestly didn't expect him to call that night--she wasn't sure he would call at all--but she was a little disappointed to find that he hadn't called. It wasn't a big deal, if he didn't. He was just a guy. That she met in a coffee shop. An inker. Nothing special. That's it.

Obviously she was in denial.

The next day she was working on her trance skills, but she couldn't find it in herself to focus. Instead, she was staring around the room when the light on her machine blinked. There was a call. She took out her plugs and listened to the ring. Perhaps it was Otto? She didn't want to get her hopes up, though, and after the fifth ring, she picked up the phone. "Hello?"

With every ring that passed, Otto got a little more anxious. God, what if she'd given him the wrong number? To say 'embarrassing' wouldn't have covered half of it. Thankfully, the phone was picked up. He smiled at the sound of her voice, muffling a sigh of relief. "Guess who?" He said in a sing-song voice, the smile audible in his voice.

He had called and the little butterflies in her stomach told her that her hopes had been up. "Mmm," she considered, "Stark? Darren? Hmm, no. Otto?" Her tone was teasing, just hiding a laugh. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Otto rolled his eyes and chuckled. "Well, I was wondering how the writing was going? Did Mia ever get caught for all that fraud?" He asked, voice holding a chuckle or two.

Laila glanced around the room and found a comfortable place to sit, cradling the phone between her ear and shoulder until she was comfortably seated. "Nope, but it did put her on the radar for a bigger event that will occur later down the road. She'll be a good candidate for them. You called just to see what happened next with Mia, didn't you?" She sighed, dramatically. "Can't wait to just buy the book and support the writer."

Back