It's Not Kidnapping if it's Prearranged

No sooner had the final shovel of dirt fallen over the grave than talk about 'the next husband' began. Lance stifled the sigh on his lips and nodded along, knowing his parents only had his happiness at heart. At least, what they thought would bring him happiness.

He knew his mother and father been watching the Keeler family especially closely for the last twenty years as Eric aged; he had been one of the longer-living partners, actually. 93 years old before he finally succumbed to mortality and became...well, the small pot of dust which now lay beneath the earth at Lance's feet. Next to the previous pot, and the one before that, and the one before that. The vampire ran his fingers through his short, black hair and cleared his throat to rid himself of the small amount of emotion which had gathered there.

"Don't worry, Lancelot," said Thomas, the patriarch of the family, as he read far too deeply into the cough and wrapped his cold arm around his son's shoulder. "Your replacement husband is ready to be picked up as soon as you are prepared. Your mother and I worried when the one we picked out for you went off to war because the next choice is far too young, but luckily for you he came back early!"

Thomas beamed and released his son, turning to his wife, Guinevere. "We will need to stock the pantry with food fit for a younger human, my love. The 'meal replacement shakes' this generation came up with worked well for Eric, but I doubt the new boy will want to subsist on a liquid diet."

"As soon as he gets here, I will put in an order of things he likes. Don't worry, dearest. Obtaining food is so much easier these days. It will be here within the hour." Guinevere waved her cellphone at Thomas, who scowled. He'd never really gotten used to technology, despite being present for every step of it.

Lance did his best to ignore both of them. They always acted like this was no big deal. But then again, they had been together for literal centuries and never had to experience the loss of a spouse. And ever since he started thinking about the whole arrangement like receiving a new puppy instead of a replacement for Abel, his own emotional reactions had lessened. "You can pick him up whenever. I already cleaned out Eric's room. He didn't need anything but his bed for the last six months anyway."

Thomas frowned, but nodded. "Alright. Why don't you go up and change, and I'll meet you at the car. I'll grab the dowry."

Ten minutes later, the 1965 Ford Mustang that served as the family car rumbled down the mountainside toward the city of Hilldale. Despite supernaturals being out in public now, the Hargrave vampires had chosen to stay on the same property they'd owned since 1235. The castle had long since been replaced by a series of modern-for-their-time homes, currently settling on a pair of 3-bedroom, redbrick houses with pleasant gardens and nice plumbing.

Lance spent the twenty minute drive staring out the window, remembering all the changes that had come over the landscape in his lifetime. It was unrecognizable every trip, constantly in flux. Even in the lifespan of his last partner, the city had gone from small dwellings and a handful of factories to a bustling metropolis of skyscrapers and smog.

He preferred the old version.

The car came to rest in front of an unassuming family home with a garden and a pack of dogs roaming the premises. Lance watched the dogs for a moment, hoping they would be staying with the family. One 'new puppy' was sufficient at a time. Thomas stepped out and Lance followed directly behind him, wondering what this year's model would look like. He selfishly preferred the tall, slender ones with nice chests, but after so many...he knew to just accept whatever.

Thomas knocked on the door, setting off the dogs so the whole neighborhood would know the Keelers had guests.

The dogs rarely made this much of a racket. Only when someone they didn't know came by. Orr... Someone who smelled suspicious or strange to them. Jace was inside and he thought about going to see them, but he didn't. His mother was closer to the door anyway, so he stayed in the living room.

He was reading through The Chronicles of Narnia, just starting the second book. It was a series that came very well recommended and he expected to enjoy it. Ever since he got sent home from the war... Well. Very few things managed to affect him at all. He felt numb, even if he put up a fake front for his friends and family. For Lily as well, even if she seemed to know him better than anyone these days. And she saw through it half the time. But his therapist strongly recommended he did his best to keep an optimistic attitude. So... He did. Even if he'd rather be soaring through the sky, helping his fellow soldiers. Training every morning. He didn't miss the front itself, but the work associated with it. The camaraderie, the discipline. It was something nobody else understood. And now with the news about his heart... Well, everyone looked at him with pity. Nobody let him do anything. He hated it, and seethed in silence a lot of the time. He didn't express it, settling for quiet melancholy instead. Jace also hadn't left the house much lately, the city had changed a lot in the few years he had been away. And he was Not a fan.

"Yes? Can we help you?" Said a brown haired woman, opening the door for... A strange little group of people with expensive taste.

The door opened and Thomas gave a carefully toothless smile to the woman. "Yes, we are here to see the patriarch of the family. If you tell him that the Hargraves have come, he will know." Lance and Thomas remained a respectful length from the door, content (and required) to await an invitation past the threshold. It was a bothersome bit of vampire existence, but there was nothing to be done about it.

While they waited, Lance peered as deeply into the home as he could. Truthfully he hoped to catch a glimpse of his next spouse. Yet that was more out of curiosity than anything. The woman who answered the door didn't look familiar at all; she must have married into the family. The bone structure of her face was rather pleasant, if soft, and Lance began picturing how it would pair with the sharper features he'd come to know from the Keeler bloodline.

Perhaps it would look more like the old bloodline, before they'd married in that Henrietta woman a few generations back and seemed to forget how curves worked.

The confusion on the woman's face was quite clear when the asked to see the patriarch. It was off wording for the current times. It was even more odd for people to come looking for Johnathan at all, though. The old man was reclusive at best. Tended to keep to himself. But if he had invited them, rudely, with no warning to anyone else in the home... Well.

"Ah, I see. Would you like to come in for some tea while we wait for him?." She said, stepping away from the door so they could go into the family home if they wanted to.

While they waited for who? Who was coming in?? Jace got up, surprised by the sudden visit. Which he wasn't a fan of. He wasn't even dressed for it. He was in the living-room, in pyjama pants and a shirt. His hair was loose and a bit messy. He was wearing bunny slippers!. He tried to get a peek of the strangers from the living room's door. Just barely looking into the hallway that connected with the front door. This was suspicious.

"Yes, we would love to," Thomas replied, stepping over the threshold carefully. Lance followed right behind and soon the two were seated in the parlor with cups of tea which they pretended to sip. "Thank you for your hospitality. I promise we will not impose on you any longer than is absolutely necessary."

Lance paid less attention to his father than he did to the sounds from the other room. He could hear shuffling, then saw someone with messy hair peek around the corner like a child attempting to peek at their Christmas stocking. Well, at the very least he saw the top of their head and one of their eyeballs.

Was that his next spouse? He at least looked the proper age, which was a relief. Too young and Lance felt more like a babysitter than anything. He locked eyes with the man and gave a friendly nod, then turned back to look at his father. "You always say you'll be quick, Father, but you rarely are."

"All depends on how quick the patriarch is at the time," Thomas replied with a smile. "We'll see when he arrives."

The woman who had welcomed them in excused herself. She said she was going to bring them some tea biscuits, insisted on it. Jace knew his mother was just trying to get away for a moment. He had already accidentally been seen by one of them. Which wasn't ideal. But hopefully they hadn't noticed he was just having a chill day at home in his pyjamas.

"This is why I tell you to always look presentable, even at home!" His mother chastised him. But he just sighed and rolled his eyes. "Mom, I was enjoying a day off. Who even are they?" They looked so peculiar. "They say they have to talk to your grandpa. So go get dressed, comb that mop of hair you keep growing, and go get him. Now!" This was all discussed quietly in whispers and hisses. Jace grumbled a bit but he did head upstairs while his mother went to the kitchen to get the biscuits for their guests. She brought them out in the time it took her youngest son to change and tell his grandpa about their weird visitors.

His reaction was unexpected. "Already?? Very well" He had said, taking his time to look like a proper businessman, which he hadn't done in ages. Before he came down to greet their guests.

"Greetings, I hope you haven't been waiting long." He said when he finally came downstairs. He sent his daughter away and sat with them. They closed the door. Jace wasn't liking this one bit and stayed close, I'm the living-room. Now dressed in regular semi-formal attire to keep his mother off his back.

Back