Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Auclair Academae

as written by Script

"No, not directly, I am afraid." Devereaux gave a wry smile. "If that were the case, I've little doubt that he would have been tracked and brought down all those years ago. But if he has become active again, there is a way we can help you. We can enable you to follow the trail of bodies."

"Well, that sounds ominous..." Peregrine remarked.

Devereaux simply nodded by way of response, interlinking his fingers and resting his elbows on the table. "When a person dies, their corpse remains linked to the spirit that once inhabited it - a weak link, but a link nonetheless. That is why communing with a spirit is made easier in the presence of their body. However, a body tapped to create a soul gem has no such lingering connection. An animancer can distinguish between the two."

"So, we can identify his victims?" Peregrine questioned.

"That is correct, however.."

Peregrine frowned. "It relies on us finding them. We'd have to examine every murder case in the city. And if he hides his victims, that spreads the net to missing persons... That is one hell of a broad net."

"Indeed. It is by no means a solution on its own." Devereaux paused again to smile. "But I'm sure that the Monastic Order is plenty capable of using it well."

as written by Ronin

"It does help," Robert nodded, "if Atano was able to evade capture years ago with both of our Orders hunting him, he must be incredibly elusive. Having even one more method with which to track him could prove invaluable." He folded his arms over his chest. "Unless, of course, there are other people in the city who practice black animancy."

He looked suspiciously between Charles and Noah. "There aren't, right? Atano is a rare, aloof exception? The secrets to soul binding remain here in the academy, the knowledge safely kept from any who would use it for ill?"

as written by Script

"I wouldn't rule it out," Devereaux replied, shaking his head. "Atano has that knowledge now. I'm afraid I don't know his agenda well enough to say whether I think he would pass that knowledge on. And of course, knowledge can never truly be erased. The process of soul gem creation was discovered once. It may yet be discovered again, outside of our control."

The old man smiled cheerfully despite his words. "But last I checked, that hadn't happened yet. So it should be fine!"

Behind the two paladins, Noah suppressed a groan.

Peregrine's eyebrows were well and truly raised. "Well, that's ... probably good, then. Still, I had hoped..."

"For more help outside the mortuary?" Devereaux finished, meeting the young paladin's gaze. "There is one further way in which I believe we can assist you," he mused, brow furrowing seriously. "To aid you once you've found the trail, so to speak. Something of a ... secret weapon, of ours. The question is, can I trust you two with it, hmmm?"

as written by Ronin

"Weapon?" Robert perked. "What weapon? Where is it?" He looked feverishly between Noah and Charles. "We can handle it. We're paladins. We handle weapons for a living. You can trust us." He nodded with enthusiastic vigor, looking at Peregrine for support.

as written by Script

"It's behind you!" Devereaux exclaimed with pantomimed enthusiasm, clapping his hands together and laughing gleefully enough that it was but one step away from maniacal.

Both Noah and Peregrine blinked in surprise. "What?" Noah interjected, "Master, hold on, I'm not sure-"

"Nonsense! Sitting around here isn't doing you any good. When opportunity comes knocking, young Noah, it falls on you to let it in!" The Master smiled toothily. "You have a lot of potential. I speak from experience when I say that you won't reach it in a practice yard."

as written by Ronin

"Where?" Robert spun on his heels. His eyes narrowed, pupils flitting between every visible object. "I don't see it. Is it behind the Warden?" He stretched his neck, trying to get a look at the space behind Noah. "Please sir, step aside."

as written by Script

"Robert..." Peregrine suppressed a snort of laughter, "I think he's talking about the Warden."

"...'the Warden' has a name, you know," Noah noted dryly, folding his arms.

Devereaux simply laughed once again. "Indeed, Sir Lacroix, you are correct. Noah may be young, but I would already count him as one of my most capable Wardens."

"I wouldn't go that far..." Noah mumbled, grimacing. "And would it kill you to ask before you go offering my assistance to the ..." he paused briefly, biting back the urge to add some more colourful language. "... church?" he finished, sighing.

as written by Ronin

"It's the-" Robert paused. "Oh." His shoulders slumped forward a tad, much of the excitement leaving his voice. "Oh. Since it's not an actual weapon, it's just... okay." He cleared his throat and tried to collect himself. "Well. Yes. I think Sir Lacroix and I would be pleased to have Warden Leveque's experience in this ordeal." He nodded. "As long as he keeps in mind that we are leading this investigation."

as written by Script

Devereaux chuckled. "Any Warden is worth far more than a mere weapon, Sir Adroring," he noted, "not least for their ability to act as one. And I'm certain that Noah will have no issues following your lead."

"I certainly don't expect I will struggle to keep up, Master," Noah replied coolly, folding his arms behind his back and maintaining a neutral mask to his expression.

Peregrine grinned. "I'm already looking forward to the continued banter."

as written by Ronin

"Oh I'm sure the warden just needs some time to warm up to us," Robert grinned, winking at Noah. "I mean, I would need some time to warm up to me, and I love me. I can't imagine how hard it must be for the rest of you."

The paladin turned back to Charles, bowing at the waist. "We thank you, sir. With the assistance of your Order, I'm confident that we'll have Atano in custody before winter's end."

as written by Script

"It is a constant trial, dear Robert, but such are the sacrifices a paladin must make," Peregrine replied, straight-faced as could be. "We soldier on."

Though his arms remained folded, the corner of Noah's mouth twinged upwards in what might have been something approximating a fraction of a smile.

Devereaux chuckled heartily. "Good! Good! See that you do. That man - if he is, in fact, a man - is a terrible danger. Do not underestimate the power he has at his disposal. I'll revisit the old reports on him, and if I find anything useful, I will send it your way. Until next time, Sir Adroring. Sir Lacroix. Noah." He inclined his head to each of them in turn.

"Master," Noah bowed his head in acknowledgement. Peregrine returned the nod with a confident smile.

"Your help is greatly appreciated, Master Devereaux. Thank you, and farewell."

Back