Mae's Writing Corner

Maeriel

Benefactor
Okay, so maybe this does not apply, but I had so much fun writing it I enjoy reading it back from time to time.

It is a short background for a character I created for a Midnight campaign that unfortunately didn't go far, so I didn't have the chance to really take the character for a proper spin, which is very disappointing, but these things happen... Her name is Eritranna and she is a Snow Elf Wildlander, which is a sort of Ranger.

I'll be posting some more writing here as the mood strikes :)

_________________________________​

"Rub your chest. Your arms will warm themselves." Eritranna could hear her mother, Alyssara drilling her as she shuddered violently from the cold, wearing only a thin leather shirt and pants as she stood against the biting winds of the snowy tundra. She could swear her nose and ears would fall off. They did not. She was 8.This was a lifetime ago. Or so it seems as she recalls the memory, trekking through the snowfall and freezing winds on her way south.

Her mother had left their house in the evergreen winter oak Eritranna had been born and always lived in 5 days ago. They lived there alone, keeping the area clear of orcs and other creatures for the nearby elves, while her mother taught her the trade. Of her father she knew nothing, but a case of his with two beautifully engraved curved daggers didn't speak well of his fate.

It was supposed to be a quick search for dinner while Eri tanned the hide of the elk they had caught a while before. Her mother left in the early morning. The traps should have caught some rabbits, which were plenty this time of the year. By nightfall there was no sign of Alyssara. Eritranna knew what she had to do. Instead, she chose to take her father's daggers, her mother's old, yet tended scout leather armor and her training bow to check all the traps they set. There would be no tracking her mother, she was too good a Wildlander.

"If I one day don't come back, do not go after me. Stay true to your duty. " The words bit hard on her spirit. Eritranna knew her mother would be deeply disappointed, but she was all the young elven woman had. At the third trap she had gotten her answer. There had been a scuffle. Blood. Eritranna tasted it. Rabbit... Elf... She spat. Orc. She didn't need to wonder. There lay her mother's icewood longbow on the snow. The elf didn't panic, she observed. There was not enough blood for her mother to be dead. At least 4 orcs. No. 6. One gravely injured. They were easier to follow despite the night.

By morning she had found the orc corpse, head caved in. The Fell. In the next three days she had lost and found again the trail a dozen times. The snow was an issue, but orcs left more than footprints. As she heeded her mother's words, rubbing her chest for warmth, the elven woman looked down from her high perch in the massive evergreen winter oak. She had reached the edge of the Erunsil lands. She wondered what had happened to her mother and how far she would have to follow these orcs' trails to their owners. Eritranna did not wonder, however, whether she should.

Back