Need Help with Describing.

The Doge

The All Memeful Doge
Hey guys. I've been roleplaying and writing stories for a while but if there's one thing that I find real hard to do, it's describing something.

I often stare at the screen trying to find the words and how to put them into the sentence so it wouldn't seem off, but it usually takes me a pretty long while and sometimes prevents me from doing anything for a decent chunk of time.

So, like the title says, how can I improve on this? Is there like, a general thing I should follow when it comes to describing something?

PS: Sorry if this seems vague. I have, like I said, a very bad ability to describe stuff.

I think something that helps me a lot when describing things is asking questions based on what it is that you need to describe. If it's scenery, what can you see? Hear? Smell even? What's the mood like? Lighthearted? Foreboding? How's the weather? Are there any important things that you need to draw attention to? If it's an object, what stands out about it? Texture? Shape? Purpose? Size in relation to other things? Etc. I could go on for a while, but these are just prompts. I also find it useful to use similes and metaphors (ack I feel like my English teacher), and as odd as it may sound, I find that they help to describe and compare things that are happening really well, but this is more for a story setting rather than a character profile if that's what you're looking for.
If you're stuck on a word that doesn't quite seem to fit, you can always use a thesaurus to help you find something that may work out better. There's no harm in looking up synonyms, but just make sure that you actually know what the word means and how to use it so that it doesn't appear out of place.
Hope this helps!

Expand on your vocabulary. Read books and see how they describe things. Learn how to use the five primary human senses to describe things. ("The paint smelled fresh." "She could see that the paint was red." "She decided not to taste it, as it was likely made out of lead." "She touched the paint, and the tips of her fingers turned red like the wall." "The paint brush produced a soothing sound as it rhythmically brushed across the wall, coating it in paint.")

Another way to aid in describing is to just relate to other things that are similar. Saying that a warm blanket feels like a hug is a very simple example. Stuff like that.

Personaly, I think of simple words to describe it. Write them down in a list, then google synonyms. Maybe even spend 10 minutes studying those words.

Try to describe things in a way that allows the reader to get a good image of it in their head as they read it. After writing your post proof read it to see if you can get a clear image in your head from the descriptions you have given. While describing your RPC let the reader know what he/she is thinking, how he/she is feeling emotionally, what the environment around he/she looks like and feels like, what he/she feels physically. Think of every detail and then find a way to describe it so that the reader can feel as if they are there in person seeing these events take place. Why don't you try to imagine your self right there with your RPC that may help.

Hey guys. I've been roleplaying and writing stories for a while but if there's one thing that I find real hard to do, it's describing something.

I often stare at the screen trying to find the words and how to put them into the sentence so it wouldn't seem off, but it usually takes me a pretty long while and sometimes prevents me from doing anything for a decent chunk of time.

So, like the title says, how can I improve on this? Is there like, a general thing I should follow when it comes to describing something?

PS: Sorry if this seems vague. I have, like I said, a very bad ability to describe stuff.
I feel sympathy, I am bad at describing in conversations. Since I am not sure what exactly you mean, I will give two methods.

Real Conversation: You can have trouble describing tastes, smells, or something you simply draw blank on. Think of the name of it, and try to branch out on what you do know, to try to force your brain to link details together. Let's say you are describing a spice. You do not remember the name, but it smells strongly, it has a savoury taste, it tingles your mouth, it has an aftertaste like ___, etc. Just cover what you do know.

In Roleplay or Writing Fiction: This is something I used to struggle with sometimes. Remember though: You are the inventor. You know what it is, so if you cannot describe it, add details, or rewrite the ones you forget. For example; "The Locket of Divinity was very peculiar, it had a smooth metallic texture, the portrait was of a ghastly pale woman, and the hinge was worn from years of use. Closing the rusty accessory, it squeaked loudly." This is a rough example, but you just fill in the blanks to describe things.

I am legally blind in one eye. So I use the trick of describing things as if I was blind, by touch first. Or like I was explaining it to a blind person.

Things like this can be helpful for branching out into more in depth descriptions, with fewer words.

dbb98646965d95ab12f331289df12b05.jpg

Back