Neocrites [Academy]

Cidrae

Smol and soft
A twelve-year-old boy steps inside, dragging a suitcase behind him and gripping his backpack tightly. The hall is quiet, although he can hear footsteps from the other rooms, and chatter of other children. The woman leading him in smiles at him and squeezes his shoulder as she tells him to wait. She returns with another woman, a tall, charismatic looking woman with dark ebony skin and wide grin.

“I can see you’re nervous, but there’s no need. Trust me, this will become your new home sooner than you’ll realise,” the woman speaks softly and shakes his hand, looking into his doubtful eyes as she speaks.
“I’m Ava Goeber, the principal of Hausler’s Academy for the Neocrites - or for children with special needs, as the others know us. Shall we?”

She takes him through long hallways, high staircases and spacey classrooms, speaking softly and explaining his studies, but the boy can’t help but notice that small flowers appear in her hair when she gets excited. It makes him a little more comfortable - he’s not the only one. But when they get to the small hall with a lot of kids of different ages, roughly from twelve to seventeen, it gets obvious.

They sit up instantly when Professor Goeber steps in, but she smiles and emotes the students to sit back down with her hand. There are children with wings, or scaly skin, one is sitting in the ceiling, throwing a ball to another kid floating not far from her. A fifteen-year-old girl is focusing hard on making her teacup float above the saucer, while another girl is brushing her wolf-like tail.

“Trust me,” he hears the principal’s voice above him again and turns to return her smile, “you’re never going to be alone again."

Neocrites

xUGOM89.png

‘A new kind of creature’, as they were called before, is someone with a special kind of skill or condition that separates them from the rest of the world’s population. It’s been said that 4% of the whole population are Neocrites, but there’s no proof of it as in some cultures people see them as demons and might even execute them if found out. They live among the rest of people in peace - mostly. They have jobs, homes, families and kids, and some people keep it a secret from their own families - out of embarrassment or fear of losing them. Most people don’t even know if they exist or not, and there are some Neocrites that devote their whole lives on keeping the rest of their kind a secret.

The skills can be put into two categories; those that can be seen, and those that can’t. What can be seen are things like gills - an ability to breathe underwater - or wings - an ability to fly. What can’t be seen varies as much, it can be from controlling time to understanding animals. The skills can be inherited, and in families it’s usual that family members have similar skills, for example a father can’t be burned by flames, and his son can set things on fire with his mind. Neocrites can be born to the so called normal families too, and it can make things difficult for their parents. The skills can appear at any age, although usually it happens at a very young age. That’s where government takes action. They of course know about Neocrites, but it’s their job to keep it hidden from the common people. Hiding this and keeping people quiet takes its toll on governments too, it sucks up money and as Neocrites are born all over the world, the world leaders have to keep the leash in their hands together.

When a Neocrite child is found out, the family is guided to take the child to one of the few schools for these special children. One of them is placed in Switzerland, close to its Italian border away from big cities and most people. To average people, it’s just a school for kids with special needs and they get to live in peace. For Neocrites, it’s a sanctuary and a place for children to learn how to use their skills, how to hide them and how to deal with the fact that they are different from the rest of the world. The last part is the most important goal for the school.

Hausler's Academy for the Neocrites

k5bZ4fm.png

The building itself was built in 13th century, but the interior has been redecorated and more rooms has been built underneath the original castle. The castle is surrounded by a moat, with only one path leading to the interior. First thing to see when one arrives to Hausler’s is a garden, filled with flowers and plants fitting for the season. More often than not, all the flowers are blooming, despite the weather. Around the garden there are doors to the different parts of the castle, in first floor can be found four classrooms, school cafeteria and the library, the second floor houses the students and the teachers, and above them is the principal’s office, where she lives too. When going below the ground level, there are more classrooms, pool and gym. Anything causing noise or otherwise things that might draw attention to the school has to be kept under the ground.

There are few smaller buildings on the other side of the moat, like a place for cars and a small café for the visitors and students both. Next to it are stables for horses, housing five animals at most - a remnant from the past, but still usable if anyone so wishes. There’s plenty of room and nice places for short trips outside school, and the closest lake to swim isn’t far either.

Hausler’s is open around the year for those wishing to live at the school and study during the summer, although there’s no classes in summer. It houses students from the age of twelve to twenty, and the main aim is that when graduated, they would have a place outside to go to, a job and so they are able to live their lives to the fullest without creating any hassle. People graduating will leave with college level papers. They accept people around the world, mainly from Europe but further too, so all of the classes are held in English.

The Skills and Conditions

hvmjii9.png

The skills vary on where they can be used. Obviously, one with a skill like breathing underwater can’t use theirs on land, someone able to fly can’t fly underwater and so forth, but someone able to control fire can learn to use it in rain, while someone still discovering their skills can not. There are teachers for different categories of skills, as well as for ‘regular classes’ like English, math, gym and so on, and more teachers can be hired if enough kids of the same type are brought to the school or if it’s otherwise needed.

Using the skills takes its toll, as one might imagine, and using it in lesser degree takes less energy than using it for something big. Also the amount of time one uses their skills affects. This can also be improved by training, so what might require one to rest for an hour afterwards, might be piece of cake for the other. Still, overusing their skills can’t be lethal, at its worst it can make them pass out - which can be lethal of course, if someone’s flying or swimming or so.

In RP it’s to be kept in mind that all of them are students - aside from the professors - and that none of them will have their skills fully figured out and trained, and that first class students won’t be as strong as the seventh class students. Most of them will have different skills, however, and some things will take a bit longer to figure out than others. Being able to read other people’s minds might take a bit longer than for example flying - to keep it fair too. This still needs some figuring out.

The Conflict

4NUeE3h.png

Naturally, a secret this big couldn’t stay secret forever. Rumours had been going around for decades, but governments have brushed it under the rug, manipulating media enough so it never got actually discussed in public. But times change, and with the access to the internet and people being able to talk there, freely from the government’s manipulation or straight out blackmailing, people are getting unsure. Not only are they starting to wonder if Neocrites are actually real, but if they’ve been lied about this, what else are the leaders hiding from their public?

This restlessness isn’t ignored by the radical few who believe that Neocrites are the truly powerful ones, and that they shouldn’t have to keep their uniqueness a secret. There are plans to let the world know in a way that would stay in history, a way that not even the government could hide, in a way that the whole -world- would find out. What will the rest of the Neocrite population do? Do they agree, do they want to out themselves or keep their secret to themselves?

Seeing as the school is an ideal place to meet new Neocrites and to guide them in a way that only a professor can, there are people -inside- the Academy that have different views on how public the Neocrites should be. Some more radical than the rest. Are they found out and removed from the school, or do they stay hidden and manipulate the children? Or do they change the atmosphere of the whole school, and have most of the students and teachers agree with them, that there’s nothing to hide anymore?

~~~

I'd like to hear if there's anyone interested in this idea, I know I am! Also, most importantly, let me know how to improve it, what you think could be added, what you think doesn't work. Thank you!~

- Cidrae

Last edited:
Alright! I'm on my laptop.

I'm getting a huge Harry Potter/X-Men vibe from this. More so the latter. I don't have too much to stay about the setting, but more so about the conflict that you're hinting at.

Since we're writing as the students at Hausler, I don't see much governmental interventions being the focal point of conflict, but perhaps there are radicals within the government or pro-Neocrite takeover groups that insert persons into teaching positions. While the school is still peace oriented, perhaps it's a chance for the radical groups to recruit young adult neocrites to build a larger following and such.

In a nutshell, extremists are in teaching positions. That can be really dangerous. Of course, the spectrum on neocrite status is represented in the teachers and students. The difference now is the accumulating leaning towards secrecy or supremacy.

Kind of reiterating what you already said haha ^^"

Yeah, at first I struggled a bit because it's an idea that's been done before - several times - but I really wanna see how it works out as RP. Hopefully in people's hands it would turn out to be something more. If I get people interested, that is!

And true, what's happening outside the school wouldn't affect the students directly but it might turn them to one way or another, more likely to be turned into an extremist or the opposite. ^^

I'm interested! And having an extremist student and a few rallies to sneak out to could bring the political aspect right into the fold easily enough. I'm up for being corrupted in this one haha

That's a cool idea! That way it would affect the school way more too. Ooohh, hope we get few more peeps lured in so we can start soon. 8) Can't wait!

Would a custom race be allowed? He would have to stay inside the school as he looks quite different...?

There's a lot of potential with this, it does sound a lot like Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

I'd definitely be interested though.

I think I would be interested in this. Sadly at this moment my tablet is going to die. I will read it over when I have time. :)

@Cidrae I was just wondering when are you planning to push this through? I mean, I think you got enough people interested. :D Though, the discussions hasn't continued much since I last saw this thread. :eek:

I am also interested in this, how about a student who can manipulate objects around him/her into different items (kinda like transfiguration) For now it would be small things like turning a spoon into a bracelet, the object's material remains the same with this ability, just the shape changes, and all of this is done mentally, not physically. Eventally a spoon could become some kind of weapon, like a dagger or dart with enough practice, and learning

Back