Once We Were Villains (HELP WANTED)

Shadowwell

Once We Were Villains

Superheroes exist in this world, as do their less righteous counterparts, Super villains. Most of the current youths of the world grew up heroes or reading about heroes, though they have been around since long before that. Throughout history and legends there have been stories of those who could wield fire or fly, or possessed unimaginable strength. Once these stories were thought to be the result of gross embellishment and superstition, it was only during the end of the First World War, that we realized how wrong we were. It was during one of the first British incursions involving Tanks to storm a town in France called Monche-Le-Preux. The armed forces were told to stay behind and wait while the artillery softened up the enemy positions, unfortunately The Armored division was not told this thus they advanced in the night. The incursion was mostly a success, until the enemy realized they had no infantry support, then the Tanks were stormed. They would have all been killed were it not for an Englishmen later to be known as the Colonel, due to his military bearing and upbringing.

The Colonel was a Meta,(Which is what Superhumans are called now) he could control Metals, though it was not until that moment until he had used his powers on such a scale. This marked only the first of such incidents, as well as the changing of an era. In the decades that followed, Metas played a major part in many notable battles across the world, though this stopped with the onset of the Cold War, another from of Mutually Assured Destruction. In the Early 2000’s the worlds first Group of Superheroes formed, they called themselves the League, They were based in the US though were from across the world. After the League formed, various supervillain organizations cropped up, the most notable and infamous of them being The Society. It is still not known how many members the Society had, The only well-known Villain was Samurai, a Meta called Hoitsu Inaba, who became most well-known during the push towards Japan during WW2. They were by far the greatest foe of the League, and they were almost their death.

It happened in 2013, on Halloween, The Society orchestrated a massive series of Crimes, culminating in the only successful robbery of Fort Knox. In the series of battles that followed, the League had the upper-hand, but that all changed in the final fight that happened in New York, an iconic place for an iconic battle. All was going well when the tables turned on the League, the Society had the League on the ropes, and even now it is not known why they didn’t kill them and finish them off. After the Battle, the League became even more famous while the Society and its members mostly faded from view over the following months. After the disappearance of the Society, the League became less unified than it once was, while the group still exists some of the Heroes in it are rather extreme in their treatment of Criminals, both Meta and normal ones. The younger members of the Society, those who did not fade entirely from public view have recently tried to reform the Society, and have extended invites to Villainous metas, both the other original members and newer Metas that show promise.

This is one of many Superhero/Meta rp ideas i have come up with. You will play as a former or Retired Villain, who due to recent events has chose to come out of the shadows along with their former colleagues after a long time. What those recent events are i dont know yet, i havent come up with any good ideas that arent a bit overused, or that wouldn't force people to play a reformed bad guy. The purpose for this is not jsut to gather interest but to get one or two people or possibly more to help me flesh out the world itself.

Last edited:
This for sure has potential. I love playing villains, and I love making villains with more depth than 'I'm evil and want the world to burn, mwa ha ha. ' I like villains who are flawed but relatable, maybe even likable. Again I like the idea, I'm not great with actual settings rather than made up ones, but I'll for sure help out if you'll have me

Sure welcome aboard. Mostly i want to figure what events will lead to the villains return without it seeming cliche.

I will make an OOC thread for discussion and stuff once a few more show interest.

I think this would be a cool role reversal story. Maybe during the New York fight when the Society had the upper hand and could deal the killing blow, they stopped and they did it to prove a point. They proved they had the power to do it.

What if the League had become a victim of hubris, almost like fascists? They forced everyone into their vision of how society should be. The crimes by the Society were set up to force this ultimate confrontation. The point they we're trying to make is that they need each other. People need to see order and chaos in action, and they proved that even though they are criminals, they have the capacity for mercy.

So now the League runs shit again to the point at which they've become corrupt. Outward facing they are the same squeaky clean, upstanding rock of wholesomeness they've always been, but beneath the surface they've become lazy, entitled, and even tyrannical. The Society is coming back together to finish what they started. It's time to destroy the League once and for all. So instead of the Society being villains, they're the underdog anti-heroes

Last edited:
This looks right up my alley. I love that idea of the moral conflict to anti-hero, but if we're looking at something more character driven, we could add a few villains coming out retirement to hear what the Society has to say but really not being keen on the idea of helping out society at all, saying that they got themselves where they are and they deserve the heroes they've got. So you could have a lot of arguing amongst the gang of villains before every event or just have a few who go rogue to mess up the anti-hero plans if they feel like it-in reality these guys would be saving the League in order to hurt society. Though going that far could get confusing haha. Either way, I'm in.

This looks right up my alley. I love that idea of the moral conflict to anti-hero, but if we're looking at something more character driven, we could add a few villains coming out retirement to hear what the Society has to say but really not being keen on the idea of helping out society at all, saying that they got themselves where they are and they deserve the heroes they've got. So you could have a lot of arguing amongst the gang of villains before every event or just have a few who go rogue to mess up the anti-hero plans if they feel like it-in reality these guys would be saving the League in order to hurt society. Though going that far could get confusing haha. Either way, I'm in.

I think it's important to still have assholes in the villain's community. Maybe younger society members, or an off-shoot of the society that promotes general chaos and fuckery. The guys coming out of retirement should have multiple challenges to overcome, but they used to be the bad guys, so they know how to break rules and how to use rules to their advantage. If done right I think we could keep it all straight.

That is a possible idea gattle, what about the league broke up about how they should rule things and the extreme side has decided on a no tolerance policy towards criminals and villains.

That is a possible idea gattle, what about the league broke up about how they should rule things and the extreme side has decided on a no tolerance policy towards criminals and villains.

Elaborate a little. Broke up how? Like they divided up different responsibilities, the the prickish ones decided to be real strict on everyone?

Just like not all the bad guys decided to build a moral compass, not all the good guys decided to be shitheads. I get it. For sure

I'd be interested in this to. For some reason, the villain Handsome Jack springs to mind, perhaps my favorite evil-doer. As for a story, even though it could be considered cliché, perhaps it's a 'one last job' type of thing, and the new, younger Society is trying to convince the older, retired members to help them, or the younger members need someone to take the blame for something, and trick the older ones.

I was meaning that the League broke up literally and it was because they couldn't decide on how they would handle some matters.

The villains themselves dont have to be old or anything and some of the Socity will still function as villains but the group as a whole mostly faded out of view. I was thinking the targeting of villains and criminals could be one of the reasons the Society has reconvened. A variant of the latter could work though. Also The proving a point thing was one of the reasons that they did not strike the killing blow, but mostly that Samurai, the leader thought that there was no honor in defeating a foe who could not fight back, that was how thorough the victory was.

That is a viable idea Naaz. the younger members of the original society could have tried to reform it.

Also i just thought of this, but should i just restrict this to Meta supervillains or should i allow human criminal masterminds as well.

I would say normal humans could be involved if there's a practical way for them to hurt the Meta folks. If a mafia style organization (or maybe government spooks kinda like SHIELD) had the right tools, they could be an interesting antagonist for the Metas

We could come up with an organization or two that are comprised of mostly non metas, that would have such tech. One government backed that would be non playable the other would be a Criminal organization, that will for now be called the Syndicate, until a better name is suggested.

So what we have to finish the premise, thus far is pretty much:

After the disappearance of the Society, the League became less unified than it once was, while the group still exists some of the Heroes in it are rather extreme in their treatment of Criminals, both Meta and normal ones. The younger members of the Society, those who did not fade entirely from public view have recently tried to reform the Society, and have extended invites to Villainous metas, both the other original members and newer Metas that show promise.

Or something like that.

Last edited:
I will get an OOC up soon, and we can work on non meta organizations as we go.

Would any of you like to help me co Gm this, Since the purpose of the rp is to be Villains, no normal rper will be allowed to be a Hero, thus I and possibly my Co-GM's would be the heroes and the League. Though when we get the other organizations one of the GM's will control the government funded organization if we make it.

I will get an OOC up soon, and we can work on non meta organizations as we go.

Would any of you like to help me co Gm this, Since the purpose of the rp is to be Villains, no normal rper will be allowed to be a Hero, thus I and possibly my Co-GM's would be the heroes and the League. Though when we get the other organizations one of the GM's will control the government funded organization if we make it.

I suppose I'm down if you'll have me. We've worked well together so far. I need to stop involving myself in things, though! I'm starting to get busy :D

So i have limited use of my pc currently, it is working right now.

I got bare bones stuff for the relevant organizations and factipns.

The League: The most powerful and successful superhero Organization n the world currently
The Society:
The Syndicate:
The Untainted:
S.I.D: The Superhuman Investigative Division, is a government fnded and mostly human staffed organzation.

Back