Talos: Storm The Heir...

Joshua Raxter

Lord Henry sat on a chair as the ship rocked through the waves. Marge, the long time nanny and maid to the kingdom sewed the graze in Henry’s shoulder. The cabin they sat in was dimly lit from a hanging lantern from the ceiling. The cabin was small being mostly filled by a cot and a small writing desk, which now held the sewing kit Marge was using on Henry.

“You damn old fool!” Marge grumbled trying to sew with the waves rocking the ship.

“For what now? I never told you to stall to get me…” Lord Henry winced as she pushed the needle through his skin again. “Did we lose the ships?” He asked wiping his face.

“Stop moving!” Marge said slapping his arm down. “I don’t know, I’m down here with you, I should be with our Majesty, but you had to get shot.” Marge complained. “I should have the doctor handle that bolt, I’ll go check on his Majesty…” Marge said leaning down and cutting the string with her teeth.

Lord Henry sighed. “He is no longer a prince, or I a Lord. We are the remnants of a defeated kingdom…” Henry sighed with a bowed head.

Marge stood there with a slight shocked look on her face, before, resigned she bowed her head. “He will always be my little prince…” She said softly leaving the room.

She walked down the main hall to the stairs, steadying herself as she climbed up to the deck. The night had broke to day, she quickly looked around the horizon. She didn’t see anything but the rising sun and the blue sheet of glass that was the sea. She jumped as a old man in a captain’s uniform snapped his heels in front of her and saluted.

“Morning Captain, “ Marge greeted with a bow. “Lor….Henry was asking if we had lost the ships, but it appears we have…” She said checking the horizon again.

“Yes Ma’am, we were lucky that we are on our fleets fastest vessel. How fairs Lord Henry?” The Captain asked.

“He is alive, but we need the doctor for the bolt in his shoulder, if you could please?” Marge asked looking at the Captain again. She reached out and held the man’s shoulder. “Thank you Walyn...Where’s the young Prince?”

Captain Walyn looked up towards the sky, pointing with his hand up to the crows nest. Marge looked up where the Captain pointed. She emitted a sound that was somewhere between a squeal and scream. Looking back at the Captain Marge fumed. “You let the last decent ruler of our kingdom up on the crows nest? Are you mad?” Marge yelled at Walyn, hands on hips.

Captain Walyn chuckled at the fuming nanny. “Relax nanny, Charlie took him up there, he’s the best sailer we have.” The Captain assured her. “I want our Prince to be safe, just as you do. But since we are all on the run...It would be a good idea for him to start learning to sail.”

Marge shot the Captain a dirty look. “Though that may be true, our dear Charlie could have started on deck...where it’s a little safer.” Marge said stubbornly. “I’ll be down with Henry...Can you send the Doctor down please? And tell Charlie to be careful…” Marge said giving the crows nest one more look before heading back down below deck.

~~~~~

Cecil stood on the crow’s nest holding the banister. A rope tied to him and in turn tied to the mast anchored him to the ship. Looking out over the open sea the young prince saw nothing but water and sun in all directions. The sea sounded as if it were a waterfall that the vessel was climbing. The loud cutting of the water by the bow below the bowsprit could even be heard high atop the main mast. Above the unfurled sails all could be seen. Charlie leaned against the mast holding loosely onto the prince’s anchorline. The epitome of young ship hands Charlie chewed watching to be sure young Cecil did not slip through the rail, since he was only tall enough to have his head reach the top.

“We stand watch up here. I shouldn’t have brought you up here, being that we are technically running...But you’re only a kid once.” Charlie said smiling at the back of Cecil’s head. “Remember when I taught you how to sail?.....Your Majesty…” Charlie added with a bow of his head.

Cecil turned his head to look back at Charlie. “Charlie please...I am no longer a Majesty. I am only Cecil now…Running from the monster that killed our King.” Young Cecil said a single tear streaking down his face. “I miss him Charlie. Why did he do that?” Cecil asked tears now flowing freely. Cecil carefully stepped over the rocking crow’s nest to wrap his arms around Charlie. After a heartbeat of shock, Charlie rubbed the boy’s head.

“Some men want only power. Knowing that my King would never let him have the kingdom, he gathered or bought followers to take it for himself.” Charlie untangled himself to kneel down and be level with the boy’s face. “And he wants you to take the blame so you cannot take it from one day, since it is your right. Lord Henry can explain it all better than I can.” Charlie explained, holding the boys face.

“But I don’t want the kingdom!” Cecil squeaked mid-sob. “I just want Father back…”

“I know, Little Prince, we all do…” Charlie said pulling the boy back into an embrace.

Charlie held Cecil tight against him. Hoping that it console the heir as much as he wished it to. Charlie’s hair whipped making the ship hand to look up. Where clear skies greeted them just moments before, a mighty storm now hurled their way. As if demons themselves controlled the weather, this storm raged heading up from behind them far faster than a storm should ever move. Standing with Cecil still in his arms Charlie hopped to the rail.

“Storm to the Aft!” Charlie screamed over the rail. “Coming up fast!”

“What’s going on Charlie?” Cecil asked trying to look around.

“I have to get you below deck Prince...Hang on tight!” Charlie instructed. Pulling a knife from his belt he cut the anchorlines off the mast. With the ease of years practice Charlie jumped over the rail of the crow’s nest, catching a line from the sail, sliding down to the deck. Charlie’s leather glove burned through biting into his skin as he stopped, handing the Prince to Marge that emerged from below. Charlie ran to return to his duty.

Marge sprinted Prince in her arms below deck, smacking into the stair wall as the ship lurched to the side. With a cry of pain she continued to run down the stairs, ignoring the bruise she would surely have across her left side when this was over. Reaching the bottom of the stairs she tripped as the ship lurched again, sending her again into the wall. She turned just enough that her bruised side took the hit instead of the prince.

“Henry!” Marge called. “Henry!”

Henry shot out of his room, stitches still hung from his shoulder, the Doctor chasing after him. The Doctor snipped the thread as he came upon Henry again.

“What in the blazes is going on? I thought we lost the ships….” Henry asked pulling away from the fussing Doctor.

“An unnatural storm is closing fast behind us…” Marge explained between gasps. The Doctor ran past them heading up to the top deck. The ship lurched violently, Henry grabbed the wall to steady himself, as Marge leaned against it to not fall. Henry made his way past Marge and the Prince using the walls of the hallway to steady himself making his way up to the deck. Marge took the Prince back into the room placing him down on the bed as the ship swayed violently, the sounds of the storm coming through the wood. Cecil cried scared as Marge gathered her things into a small leather bag. Henry almost fell through the door, startling Marge.

“This has to be magic, we need to get to the long boat the ship feels like it’s tearing itself apart. Not that the long boat will fair much better.” Henry said grabbing his sword and armor. “But...if it is magic they might not be able to know the long boat left…” Henry thought out loud reaching out and touching Marge’s shoulder lightly. “We have to do something to get Cecil away from this…”

“I know…” Marge sobbed. They scrambled around the room gathering what little they could before grabbing the Prince and swayed up to the deck. The crew had prepared the long boat and was placing supplies in it as they slowly made their way to it. Sea water foamed up and across the deck as they trekked to the railing.

The Captain said something but he couldn’t be heard over the strong with that came with the storm. Henry attempted to ask him what it was but the Captain just shook his head and saluted. The entire crew stopped scrambling and saluted in the rain as the three of them were lowered to the sea level. The Captain cut the ropes to the longboat sending it the last few feet to the sea the faster way. The swell of the waves pushed the little boat away from the ship. Henry paddling fiercely to gain distance from the floundering ship in the rough seas. Marge was flat on the bottom of the boat holding Cecil tight covered in a tarp to keep some of the wet off them.

The Sky screamed. The clouds opened as a lightning bolt split the air and the ship they had just left. Henry rowed for their lives, tears in his eyes as the men that got them away from their forsaken kingdom now burned with the ship. Forced to watch as he rowed through the horrible stormy sea as the burning ship was swallowed below the tall waves.

Back