The Bonds That Tie Us

Elise smiled at Ara's enthusiasm as she skipped over to her trunk and dresser. It was odd to be happy about her little sister going through her things, before it all changed, she hated to find her going through her modest wardrobe, dirtying her things with the mud and grass from the backyard. Now she was just glad she had a sister to mess her things up. Ara gawked at the full trunk and Elise had to chuckle, going around, gathering a water basin, scented soap, hairbrush, scissors and a hand mirror, all to groom and pamper her sister.

Elise set everything on the table and pulled a wooden chair for her sister to sit, draping a towel on its back to keep the hairs from sliding down her clothes and prickling her every time she moved. Ara pulled article after article from her trunk and dresser, she'd have to spend some time putting it all back together. She had declared she wanted something green, and Elise had quite a few items in the color. It made her remember her mother, it looked well on her, green to match her green eyes, like Ara's. When Ara was done piling up, looking through some garments that were way too inappropriate, Lis approached. "Alright, let's see what we have here." She started carelessly folding items and tossing them back in the trunk with statements like 'too fancy, too revealing, will make you look like a forest nut, too long to wear in the rain...'

She could tell Ara was starting to look disheartened, and that's when she found it. A long, forest green travel dress with a brown bodice decorated in swirls of golden thread. She had worn it once when feigning to be a recently arrived merchant, but it had almost made faint, for it was too tight around the chest. It's length stopped a good 20cm off the ground so it wouldn't get all damp and muddied out in the rain, and she had the perfect jacket to go along with it."Perfect." She smiled. "This one will look great on you." Elise laid it out on the bed, picking a few undergarments and separating a short velvet brown jacket and a pair of brown boots, mid-length. Her pleasant voice sounded approvingly. "All done. Come, haircut time."

Guiding her sister to the chair, she laid the towel around her shoulders, tilting her head back, and started washing her hair carefully. Her fingers were deft and her touch soft, even as she brushed out the multitude of knots. Elise washed and rinsed her sister's hair twice with the lavender scented soap, then dried it lightly with the towel and combed it back, cutting it more evenly with the scissors before attempting a little bit of styling. Short hair on women was uncommon, but Ara had a pretty face, it would work out. There were so many questions swimming in Elise's head about what happened to Ara, but she saw her fear, her anxiety, she knew better than to poke at the wound so soon. Besides, there were others whose wounds she'd be far more willing to poke for answers.

When done, Elise dried her sister's hair a little bit more with the towel and offered her the hand mirror. "Tell me what you think of the style, I can change if you dislike, but I think these bangs combed to the right will look cute over your green eyes. When you are done, we can work on getting you dressed."

Ara watched as her sister threw clothing back into the trunk, a little upset, but then her sister held up the most beautiful dress Ara had seen. Practical and pretty. She grinned imagining herself wearing it as her sister lead her over to the chair to get her hair washed and cut. Last time she had gotten it cut, the men had grabbed her knotted hair and chopped roughly at it with all too blunt scissors. It was supposed to be a punishment, a reminder before she left but in the end she enjoyed how light it felt.

This was different though. This reminded Ara of her mother bathing her lovingly and cutting her hair. She was surprised however, as she was handed the mirror, at how reluctant she was to look. She had not seen her true reflection for so long. She had tried to see herself in her tin plates or the cups of water but it was always distorted and blurry. Suddenly, she wondered if she was pretty. It hadn’t crossed her mind in a long time, not exactly being the most important thing when you are trapped in a tower with no company.

The mirror lay in her hands facing her lap as Ara chewed on her lip. Why was this so hard?
Taking a long strengthening breath Ara slowly turned the mirror over and brought it towards her face. An unknown woman stared back at her. She was familiar but also not. Ara saw her sister there certainly but her mother was there too, staring through her eyes. Ara’s hands reached up to touch her face and the woman in the mirror did the same.
“This is me?” She asked no one in particular.

Her fingers then found her jaw line where a deep red etching crept up from her neck. She traced it absently. She had seen similar marks on her arms and torso but she did not realise they had gone still further. It was worth it to be free, but she couldn’t help but think that it would decrease her beauty.
Ara lowered the mirror finally, a little subdued. She scrunched up her eyes shaking the feeling off. She was free and she had Lis and a new pretty dress to wear, who cares if she may not be beautiful. Grinning over the forlorn feeling, Ara turned her attention back to her sister.
“It’s great Elise, thank you”

Elise moved off to start get her sister a towel to wash off along with a fresh basin of water. She had a tub, but it would take time to fill it and heat it up, so this would have to do for now. As she returned to set the basin atop the trunk she noticed her sister chewing her lip and looking apprehensive. Lis didn't understand it at first, until she noticed the mirror lying face down on her lap. Quietly she watched from where she stood, not daring to move as if in the presence of a skittish woodland creature which might suddenly bolt away. Pretending to be busy, Elise watched from the corner of her eyes as Ara gathered the courage to look and watched in awe at her own reflection, not recognizing herself, tracing the marking on her neck with her fingertips and looking rather self-conscious.

It broke her heart. She looked away and swallowed the lump in her as shame, guilt and anger overtook her. With a deep breath she came over to her and said. "I'm glad you like it, you look so much like mom. Sis... if you mind the markings, I can give you a silk handkerchief to tie around your neck, but it doesn't change how beautiful you look." She took a short pause and a deep breath, trying to change the seriousness of the conversation. "I have some gifts for you." With a chuckle, more to Ara's benefit than genuine, Elise led her to the bed, behind the folding screen. "I laid out some warm water for you to wash yourself with and here is the underwear, I'll help you with the dress and whatever you don't know how to put on, but this... this is for you."

Elise opened a small jewelry box containing a beautiful golden band, engraved with wavy lines, set with a square, clear emerald. Simple, but beautiful. Only that wasn't the biggest treasure. The modest long rope of gold had been polished again and again and it shone as brightly as old gold could, from it hung a single pearl, an unfinished thing, not perfectly round, but of a good size. It had belonged to their mother, for their family a small treasure, laid in late sentimentality by their father at her headstone. Lis swiped it before a thief would. "I know she'd have liked you to have it. So it's a gift from her and one from me." Of course she'd not say the ring was stolen... She held the necklace up, offering to slip around Ara's neck.

Ara blushed, hiding a smile at her sister’s complimentary comments. She adored the idea of looking like their mother, and was keen on concealing the etching with a handkerchief. When her sister had announced that she had a gift, Ara was filled with a giddy excitement.
Lis led Ara back over to the bed as Ara’s thoughts jumped around. A gift? For her?

"I know she'd have liked you to have it. So it's a gift from her and one from me."

Ara could not stop her jaw from lowering or her eyes widening. They were beautiful, both of them but the necklace in particular. She could clearly remember this same shining pearl necklace sitting atop her mother’s bosom. No way could Ara take it. It was too grand, too special.
“I-I don’t want it.” She said quickly backing away, her hands out stretched, “I mean, it’s beautiful Lis, it is, but I can’t wear it, I can’t have this. Please.” She gently pushed the hands holding the heirloom back towards her sister.
“I’d rather see it on you.”
As if to try and convince her sister she picked up the ring brightly.
“This is heavenly.” She said popping it onto her finger, “This, I will take.”
She stuck her tongue out playfully, swiping the underclothes as she turned towards the wash bucket to start cleaning herself.

Ara hoped her sister would take it, and especially hoped she would wear it. If their mother was alive, she would have passed it on to her eldest child anyway. In fact, Ara could distinctly remember the conversation she had listened to through the crack of her mother’s door. She had gotten into some sort of trouble that day while Elise was supposed to be watching her and her mother had pulled Elise aside for a talk.

Through the crack of the door Ara could see Elise and their mum sitting together on the end of the bed. After a lecture on responsibility and caring for Ara, their mum had promised the necklace to Elise. At the time 6 year old Ara was overwhelmingly jealous, refusing to speak to either of them all through dinner, though they hardly knew what she was harrumphing about. Now it seemed fitting. Ara had her mother’s eyes, Lis could have their mother’s necklace.

The refusal came as a surprise. Elise had expected the necklace to be a treasured keepsake to her baby sister, but instead it was like it was the last thing Ara had wanted. Ironically enough, it was how Lis herself felt. She didn't want it, her mother would be fine if she hadn't attacked the guards. She was unworthy of that family heirloom. Still, Elise wasn't about to let her sister feel bad for refusing it, Ara needed a break, so she closed the decorated jewel box and set it in the hidden compartment of her dresser, where she kept her most valuable (or illegal) items.

"It suits you, sis." Elise smiled looking at the ring on Ara's finger, as if nothing weighed on her mind. She went back into the sitting area to tidy it up and get herself a much needed drink from her mead canteen, letting her little sister wash herself and get ready. Her mind was a jumble of thoughts. She needed to take care of her sister now, but the life she lived was far from safe and far from appropriate for someone whose life stopped on childhood and became a nightmare she seemingly only recently escaped from. And there was revenge, it was a burning need in Elise's heart since her mother's death and now a bunch of people just got added to that list since she found out Ara was still alive and got a glimpse of the kind of suffering her sister was subjected to. Elise just couldn't figure out how to reconcile life as her sister's guardian once more with all the ugly things she has to do. Ara couldn't know about it, and Lis was rather sure she'd not understand it either.

Outside the storm had receded to a steady pattering rain, making the city look grey and drab. The streets were somewhat muddy, especially in the outer edges of the city, farther from the castle, like this one, and tall oil lamp posts were diligently lit so that the gloom was banished, like the flickering light could keep the crime at bay. Elise supposed it worked for small-time thieves. Elise was more of a springtime person and these end of summer storms didn't suit her. She was also no small-time thief. Digging through a woven basket full of scarves, handkerchiefs, shawls and gloves, she found a couple that Ara might like and set it aside. Then, Lis poured the rest of her mother's tea in a china pot decorated with green swirls and yellow flowers and set it aside, she could heat it up and drink later. "How's it going, ladybug?" She'd have to find a solution to her problem soon. How to reconcile revenge, crime and family?

Ara smiled, good, Lis wasn’t pushing it. She grabbed the wet cloth rubbing it over her face and behind her ears. Returning it to the bucket, she undid the tatty lace at the back of her dress and pulled it down. The white puckered scars littering her back shone in the firelight but Ara was unaware of their presence. Her ribs poked uncomfortably behind at her pale skin as Ara rubbed herself down, enjoying the warmth of the water on her skin.

By the time she felt clean, and returned the cloth to the wash bucket for the last time, the water was no longer clear. Grabbing the underclothes she worked herself into them before grabbing the dress. Holding it at arm’s length, she admired its beauty. Ara giggled excitedly before pulling it over head. Her right arm managed to find the arm hole but her head decided it would also try to fit itself into an arm hole and not making it through, leaving her left arm partially stuck above her head. She squealed as she tried wiggling free.
“Erm…” she managed finally, “Can you help Lis?”

Lis was watching the rain through the window by the table, the droplets beading against the blurry window panes. Her mind was pondering on her predicament, even though she had vaguely touched the subject of her shady lifestyle with Ara, she was certain the younger woman did not comprehend it fully the meaning of it and might grow fearful over her elder sister's well-being.

It was then that her sister squealed and Lis' head snapped in the direction, ripped from her musings in confusion. "Ara?" She moved around the decorated folding screen to find Ara's head stuck in her sleeve. She chuckled amused, but it was short-lived. Her eyes caught the glistening of scars criss-crossing her sister's pale, bony back and bile surged up Elise's throat as guilt and rage roared up. How dare they do this to her sister?! How could she not have pushed further to try and get entrance into the Tower to find Ara? Succumbing to selfish fear of being arrested was humiliating. Elise was the eldest, she was supposed to keep Ara safe and now was confronted with her utter failure in having done so.

The heels of her palms pressed harshly against her honey eyes as tears threatened to flow down her face and putting up her best mask, Elise said. "Oh ladybug... let me help you..." She could have done it faster, but she fumbled with the fabric a while longer to be able to gather herself from the sight of her sister's starved, battered form. She'd make up for it. And tonight, someone was going to pay. "There, there." Lis said as her sister's head finally came out the right exit, adjusting the dress on her shoulders and then working on tying the decorated bodice, intent on not letting her sister study her face for now. Once done, Elise offered the selection of scarves and handkerchiefs for her sister to choose and a nicely warm pair of socks to put under the supple leather boots.

"You know, Ara, The Black Flagon is a den of scoundrels, but Mama Kerr makes the best stew around these parts, you'll love it, she's loathe to tell anyone the secret to it, though. Not that I have prodded her for it. You know my cooking would be better called poisoning..." The inane chatter served to distract her from the roiling emotions inside her just then, even is Erica Kerr, otherwise known as Mama Kerr did make a delicious stew. Mama Kerr's other activities, as one of the fronts for the local Thieves Guild were what had drawn Elise to the Flagon in the first place. "There are bottles of scent on top of the dresser if you wish, pick one and it's yours." It occurred to Elise that if she agreed on a few extra jobs she might get Mama Kerr to place a few of her spies to watch and protect Ara in Lis' absence. Getting in debt with the Guild was never wise, but it would be worth it to keep Ara from trouble.

Ara grinned as she was freed from the blasted cloth confining her. That grin dropped when she noticed the change in her sister. Ara could see the tension Lis held, avoiding her eye and ducking her head as she worked on the back of the dress. What had changed? Had she done something to upset her? Over stepped her mark perhaps? Ara nervously picked out a random scarf no longer caring about the inane idea of beauty. It couldn’t be easy on Lis, to suddenly have her sister back. It was a huge burden and to just waltz back into someone’s life and expect them to accommodate you was extremely rude. Ara was a burden that shouldn’t be placed on her sister and it was selfish of her to have expected Lis to take it on.

Lis hadn’t come for her in the tower, hadn’t even visited her. Ara wasn’t wanted, she knew that but she had been so caught up in the reunion, the dream of family life.

Ara would have to find work somewhere and rent out a place for herself, until then she could bear with the street, find somewhere secluded to sleep. Not that she slept much anyway. It’d be cold but she’d had worse. Ara knew her sister wouldn’t kick her out by choice and would of course insist that her sister was wanted. She’d have to leave in secret so that by the time Lis found out, Ara would be gone and Lis would be relieved to be able to continue her life without a needy little sister who could not even dress herself without help.

She would leave tonight, while Lis was asleep, saving her sister the burden.

Ara smiled, trying to hide her racing heart as her sister offered the scent.
“I’m fine, thank you.” She wouldn’t take anymore from her sister. She had taken enough already. Besides if she reached for the scent, Lis might see her shaking hands.
“Thank you Elise….for everything.” Ara whispered sincerely, smiling weakly.

Elise frowned a tad at the choice of scarf. The long brown linen was lackluster to say the least. Shaking her head, Lis picked the silken handkerchief instead, the soft fabric of a light brown, painted green leafed vines decorating delicately the edges of it. She came in front of her sister and could sense some enthusiasm having been sapped of her younger female. Had Ara noticed Elise saw her state and grew self-conscious? Should she bring it up? Elise didn't think it would do any good to remind her of the things her sister went through, it was over, they were together now. She stepped in front of Ara, slipping the soft fabric around her neck and tying it in a knot, shifting the knot to lay slightly askew to the left of her neck and making sure it covered the mark her sister seemed to deeply dislike.

"There. This one is much prettier. You look lovely. And you are very much welcome." Elise had a better hold of her emotions, her more deceitful dealings aiding her in such occasions. She planted a kiss on Ara's forehead and smoothed her brown hair, saying as she looked into the glittering green eyes who seemed somewhat duller right now. "Come on, sis, don't feel down. You're with me now and we'll find a way to make up for all the harm done. With any luck, Mama's famous lemon cakes will be on offer tonight." Lis winked and stepped back. Ara didn't seem interested in any scent and Lis didn't push it not to give her the impression she was saying she smelled badly, sisters could be prickly that way.

"Do you need any help with the boots? They have laces... I don't remember if you had those well practiced before." Elise offered the woolen socks to her sister, studying her eyes for signs of improvement on her mood, or if she had missed the mark on her assessments. Ara could shut down at times, it was frustrating growing up. She'd pick on some perceived insult and clam up, sometimes going days without speaking a word, just scrunching up her face, pouting and huffing. Was that girl still there? Did Elise step outside the borders and would now be subjected to the old treatment once again? That was one thing she didn't particularly miss about having her baby sister around...

Ara blushed furiously as her sister implied she was unable to tie laces. Granted, she had barely learnt as a child before she had been taken and yes, it had been many years since, but it was time to be a competent adult. She couldn’t keep relying on her sister.
“I’ll be fine.” She swiped the socks from Lis quickly, turning away from her.

Ara set herself up on top of the chest with the boots and socks. The socks were the easy part and she managed them with no trouble. When she had gotten the boots onto her feet as well she hesitated, sneaking a side glance at her sister, hoping she wasn’t watching. She threaded the laces through the hooks and up the boot, creating a messy but passable pattern. Now was the hard part. Make a loop then... what was it? Her mother used to sing her a rhyme as a child to help her remember, but it had been so long and she could no longer remember it. She fiddled with the laces for a good couple minutes before huffing in annoyance. Giving up with the neat standard of laces, Ara configured them into a knotted mess and quickly did the same with the other boot.

She stood hurriedly, hoping her sister wouldn’t notice the mess.
“Shall we go then?”

Ara seemingly ignored any attempts from Elise to lift her spirits and instead started spiraling down into a sulky state. Was it the offer to help tie her laces? It occurred to Lis how it must be frustrating to not know how to do tasks you should be well-practiced in as an adult. Ara snagged the socks from her elder sister's hands. Yes, definitely about the laces... Elise pursed her lips and stepped away, busying herself with one thing or another while giving her baby sister some room to breathe and figure out her boots.

When Ara was done and stepped out seemingly ready to go, Lis fought the urge to inspect her handiwork, her honey-colored eyes not drifting down to her boot ties. Likely they were a mess or all knotted together. Probably would unravel and she'd find herself with muddy laces or even tripping down. Elise always protected Ara, but never coddled her too much. Their mother would go on and on about how they should do this and that and Ara was always the most stubborn, while Lis was more the kind to readily agree and decide whether to follow her mother's words afterwards. When Ara refused to do things like accepting her help with her lacing, Elise would simply let her. Nothing like some scraped knees to show her baby sister she was being pigheaded. Worked then, should work now.

Instead, Lis smiled like nothing was wrong and said. "We shall!" with some enthusiasm. Grabbing her cloak and offering a half-length brown one to Ara, Elise stepped down the stairs and made her way out into the alleyway which hid her door. Pulling up her hood, she held the door open and after her sister stepped out into the steady rainfall, locked behind them, traveling the short few steps out of the alley and over the corner to their right where the ill-reputed Black Flagon tavern was located. She pushed open the creaking oaken door and the heat of the hearth, the rich smell of stew and stale ale wafted out like a wall to hit them.

Inside, a few round tables were laid out atop the dirty rushes covering the floorboards, soaked with all manner of dubious liquids. Few had anyone at this time of day, but a few dour-looking older men sat playing cards in the center, turning to look at the women by the door who looked more than a little out of place. On the right side, a stone hearth was kept at a low fire, a large cauldron bubbling away with the famous stew Lis mentioned so much. The walls were lined with some more private seating in the shape of booths of several sizes, and a man wearing a hat sat in one, legs crossed at the ankles, wearing dark clothes and a long duster, a saber and a pistol at his hip. The wide-brim hat covered most his face, laying back as he was, but his lips were thin and his bear unshaven on his sharp features. A mug of ale sat mostly finished in front of him and an empty bowl where stew used to be.

"A lil' early to come saunterin' in, innit Vi?" a rather high-pitched female voice called out from the counter. Unlike the rest of the tavern, the counter was kept impeccably clean, the oaken surface polished diligently, even though it had been marked by years of use. Behind it, the odd sight of a Halfling woman, hair turned snow white by age, looking almost gentle as she dried a tin cup, polishing the thing to a sheen. "And who's the young'un?"

8a2e88e73ea85a4ffcb48f90acfecaa3.jpg

Lis made sure her head turned away from the Halfling's sight as she whispered to Ara. "Remember... Viola." Turning back with a smile and walking over to the counter, Lis opened her arms with a wide smile. "Mama! Is that lemon cakes I smell?" The woman's wrinkly face scrunched up bemused and said. "That's Bill's spilled ale... but I might have some lemon cakes... Well now... who'sit?" Lis gestured to Ara. "This is my sister Annabelle..." The Halfling frowned looking suspicious. "I dinna know you had no sister. Well young'un... come over here, let's have a look-see." She beckoned Ara closer eyeing her up and down. Lis looked at Ara, not quite sure her sister would sit well with the impromptu name she'd given her and expecting her not to be able to fool the wizened old thief in the least, but intending for Mama to understand that it meant 'Viola' needed to conceal Ara's identity. It would all be implied in a manner that would not escape the shrewd old Halfling, Lis was certain, but it would likely fool the uninterested ear.

Ara left the apartment attempting to present herself as confident and independent, but as soon as she set eyes inside the tavern she couldn’t help shrinking behind her sister. It was too hard to present herself with confidence in here, with other strange people, in this part of town. Why did Lis insist on living her life here? Ara had been without the company of anyone besides a handful of guards for so long, seeing others was terrifying. How could she know what their intentions were? What if she did something horribly wrong or inappropriate?
Her anxiety bubbled inside of her as they made their way towards the little woman behind the counter. She focused on her breathing. In and out. It’d be okay. She could do this.

Ara barely heard as her sister reminded her of the name Lis was now known by and almost said something when she herself was introduced by the wrong name. Annabelle. She didn’t want a new name, she was only just able to retake her old one.

Ara paled as the woman gestured her over. She swallowed hard. She was an adult. She was independent. Fighting the urge to hide behind her sister like a coward, Ara squared her shoulders and took a couple steps towards the lady. She fiddled nervously with her scarf, uncomfortable with being looked at and hoping the marks wouldn’t show.

“Evening ma’am.” She managed with a slight curtsy.

Elise could practically feel the unease radiating from her sister and Mama's sharp eyes certainly did not miss it. The dour-faced men kept glancing at them, but no person gambling at The Black Flagon would take their eyes from the table and their partners for long if they wished to keep their coin. The younger man at the booth didn't shift a finger since they entered, his chest rising in a steady manner as he calmly breathed, though if he was in fact asleep was anyone's guess. The pair of women did stand out in the tavern, but unlike Ara, Elise seemed not at all bothered by it, leaning against the counter as if she was at her second home.

The wizened Halfling woman had the qualities of someone's pie-baking grandmother combined with a rattling snake, her shrewd eyes sized up Ara like the human girl was in fact the tiny one, and Ara had the unsettling feeling she could peer into her very soul. Lis laid a gentle hand on her sister's shoulder knowing well the effects of Mama's studying gaze. The silence lingered, heavy in the air as the old woman's steel colored eyes settled on Ara's startling green, then, without being bidden she set an empty bowl and a wooden spoon on the counter in front of Ara and said. "Ye're skin and bones, girl. Go on, shoo... go get some stew at the hearth and sit right there. Mama is gonna get ye sum bread and cake. Ye'll get Viola's cake too... Go on, git to it." The gnarly tiny hands shoo'ed her off to the simmering cauldron with the authority of one who wouldn't be denied, despite her low-class accent and diminutive size. Lis looked at Ara and nodded that it was alright. The Halfling woman was already getting a mug and pouring the honey-smelling strong mead Elise was so fond of. The brief look she gave Elise was enough to tell her they'd be having a small chat when Ara was out of earshot and the human woman winced.

Mama Kerr was not one to be trifled with and not easily deceived. She had been the one to aid Elise in her carefully constructed new identity and in finding the secure and out of sight apartment Lis had. So the need to be called 'Viola' was not because of the tiny barkeep's ears. It was clear Mama was unhappy about finding out about this 'sister' just now, and that she would be demanding a story. It had not been her intent to conceal her family ties, merely an unwillingness to discuss the painful subject. For all Elise knew, Ara had been long dead, after all...

Ara, dumbfounded by the stern response, moved to obey. She had much experience in orders and knew what would happen if she didn’t obey. This order came with more than the simple stern demands the guards made but Ara was too anxious to think on just what that was. She reached for the bowl and spoon but in her haste she knocked them loudly to the floor. Ara Let out a small squeak before dropping quickly to her knees to retrieve the lost items. She did not dare look to see the reaction she had caused and hurried to the hearth to make up lost time.
Any delay back in the tower was met with pain and although part of Ara knew she was no longer there, she could not help but to revert back to old ingrained reactions.

As she reached the hearth she let go of the breath she didn’t know she had been holding. The distance from the woman helped until she noticed the other men, attention drawn to her after the clatter, and suddenly she was all too far from her sister. Her breath quickened and her heart battled against her chest. Once again her magic rose in response but was safely blocked from releasing.
Breath Ara, everything is fine. You are not in there, you’re safe. You’re safe.
Taking a deep breath Ara returned to the task. The stew. Act normally and they would lose interest. She bravely turned her back on the occupants, grabbed the ladle and scooped some soup into her bowl without issues. By the time she turned back, the attention she had garnered had waned, though she could tell they were all keeping a third eye on her.

She looked over at her sister, trying to judge whether she should return or not. She did not want to go back over but nor did she want to stay over here by herself. She hated this. They should have stayed in the apartment, if was safe in there and no strangers. She could live off bread and cheese. In fact she had for several years.

The thoughts of independence crossed back over her mind. How could she do this while she was a nervous wreck? Strangers terrified her and yet if she was going to live on the street or get a job she needed to deal with many and without the help of Elise, Or Viola as she was now known.
Once again Ara took a deep breath. She needed to show Lis she could do this, she needed to prove it to herself. Marching back over, Ara took a seat at the booth with her bowl placed in front of her. The smell of it was almost enough to distract her from the situation. It had been so long since she’d had a hot cooked meal. Glancing over at the Halfling and the sister, are wondered whether she had to wait for them, to begin eating. She remembered her mother always telling her not to eat until everyone was seated with their meals. She was always so eager to stuff her mouth as a child.
Fearing the wrath of the Halfling Ara sat, trying to patiently wait for approval though her mouth watered hungrily at the rising steam.

Eyes moved Ara's way at once when the utensils dropped and her squeak sounded, a more out of place noise there couldn't have been in such a place. Even the man who had sat by his lonesome at the booth pushed the brim of his hat up enough to check out what was happening. His eyes were shaded, but dark and sharp, it didn't seem like he had been asleep at all. Elise crouched along with Ara to help gather the things, but Ara had been faster, hasty even. Lis frowned somewhat worried about her baby sister, but preferred to let her go get herself some stew, it wouldn't do her any good to coddle her publicly, the girl had already expressed her anger for being treated like a kid.

Elise turned to the inevitable conversation which awaited her, meeting Mama Kerr's inquisitive clear eyes as she did so. The woman had just sent a serving girl (who had come curiously peering what had caused all the noise) to fetch the lemon cakes, but her attention now was solely Lis'. No question was uttered, the old Halfling simply waited. Elise let out a sigh and then explained in broad strokes, voice lowered to almost a whisper. "Mama, she's my baby sister. She'd been taken prisoner by the Mage Hunters at young age, back when my whole issue with them started. When I sneaked back into the city I was told no one by her name was in the tower... I thought she was dead, but somehow she is here, I found her by mother's grave."

The bartender, standing on this little raised step which lined the entire back of the counter, so that she could see over it, regarded Elise while mincing her words for a long moment. Mama Kerr was known for such stares, grown men would sweat under the piercing, steely gaze. "Why was she suddenly released after so many years?" The question was, of course, very pertinent, and the woman had cut through all the small sentimentality and gone straight to what she deemed more pressing. Lis looked sideways and rolled her neck uncomfortably, swallowing in the discomfort of knowing that the answer wouldn't please the Halfling. "As I gathered, she's just been released from years of confinement and torture, discovered her home is burned down, her mother is dead, her father the cause of it all and her sister a criminal. I think she has had quite an eventful day for me to go interrogating her, don't you think?"

The answer came out a lot sharper than Elise had intended and it did not escape the woman. A short young woman, long wavy auburn hair and a rounded, hourglass shaped body approached carrying a tray with Mama's tasty pastries, sticky with honey-sauce and smelling fresh off the oven. Not even looking at the girl, Mama Kerr set a mug of sweet dark ale on the tray and shoo'ed the serving girl with a bony hand. Used to the treatment, she didn't even bat an eyelash, just pleasantly smiling and sauntering off to Ara's table. The Thieves' Guild Lieutenant, pointed a gnarled finger at Elise and said. "You better find out soon, girl. Mage Hunters don't just let people go like that, free as a bird. There is something fishy to it. Your procrastination might cost you dearly."

Elise was glad Mama Kerr at least let the disrespectful tone the woman had taken with the her slide. She of course knew she was right, but there were many reasons Elise 'procrastinated'. To protect her sister, yes, but also out of fear for what the answers may do to her, and which path they might lead their relationship down. Their tenuous relations only stood now because Ara didn't blame her for all that had happened, but is her baby sister's view of it all shifted to align with Lis'... then she may well never see Ara ever again. Elise's shoulders sagged and a single nod was all the answer she could muster, eyes averting from the steely, piercing glare she received. "Mama, I want to get eyes on Ara. I'll pay what you wish, I'll work what you want me to work. She's defenseless and like you I don't trust this sudden release." Of course there was the small bit of Ara's powers she left out, Lis didn't even know how exactly they didn't seem to overwhelm her sister like they used to. Mama waved a hand dismissively and nodded, setting a bowl and spoon and moving along. Lis knew that meant they were in agreement, but an unease settled on her stomach from the lack of terms. What had Elise gotten herself into? She took two big gulps of her mead and then went to get herself some stew, glancing at Ara, who seemed not to have touched her dish.

The curvy serving girl looked at Ara with doe-eyes and a pleasant smile curving her lips. "Hi, sweetie! What a lovely dress! You're new here, I'm Kyra, what's your name? Is the stew not to your liking? You should eat it while it's hot!" The girl set the foaming mug, along with a dish with two of the sweet-smelling lemon cakes and another dish with piece of hard bread. "The cakes are delicious, I'm sure you'll love it." The perky girl beamed at Ara and Elise slid onto the seat across from her baby sister with a steaming bowl and her mead. "Not hungry, Annabelle?" There was a little stress on the name, so Ara kept up the charade. It pained her to have to do that to her Ladybug, but in this tavern you could trust people to be discreet... and also to be thoroughly self-serving.

Ara frowned at Elise sitting across from her.
“Just waiting for you, Viola” Ara replied with an emphasis on her sister’s the faux name and a roll of her eyes.
She turned to the server, her nerves shaken off now that her sister was near. Despite the agitation she felt towards her sister at the present, she couldn’t help but feel more comfortable with her close by. But that needed to change, Ara would soon be out on her own.
“Hello Kyra,” Ara replied with what she hoped was a charming smile “My name is Anna. Thanks so much for the food.”

She glanced quickly back at her sister with a look that said ‘See? I can do this fine.’
Turning back to the table, Ara eyed the new drink that had been placed before her. She could recognise the smell. She used to smell it on their father on occasion and in more recent times, the guards who used to come in smelling of it some late and early morning shifts in the Mage Tower. They were always far nastier on those occasions.

This was an adult’s drink, Ara was an adult now. An independent adult, and as such she could drink her sophisticated drink. Ara cupped the mug in her hands bringing it to mouth with a satisfied look.
The liquid hit her tongue and it was nothing like she had imagined. This was foul and bitter and it burnt! How anyone drunk this stuff she would never know. Her face screwed up harshly in distaste as she opened her mouth, releasing the vulgar poison back into the mug and dropping it onto the table. She then hurriedly scooped several spoonfuls of stew into her mouth to rid herself of the awful taste.

Elise caught the sass in Ara's voice and sighed softly. It was clear the girl was in one of her moods and if it was anything like when Ara was a kid, it was all downhill from here and soon enough, Lis would be getting the could shoulder and silent treatment the girl was feared for. The woman played with her stew while her baby sister spoke to the waitress, suddenly robbed of her appetite. What a day this had turned out to be...

Kyra missed completely the nuances of the interactions between the two sisters, maintaining the friendly smile and winking at Ara. "You're quite welcome, Anna. Call me if you need anything else, sweetie." The woman looked over to Elise and winked. "Vi." Then sauntered off to the counter, where a few mugs awaited her to be delivered to the gambling group of men. Slowly there were more people coming into the tavern as outside the day started turning into night. Elise took a mouthful of stew and her honey-colored eyes followed the waitress where she caught the man in the wide brim hat, leaning onto the counter over his elbows and listening to whatever Mama Kerr was telling him. Her jaw clenched as his brown eyes glanced at her booth following Mama's discreet head indication.

Lis' mood soured at the sight. Of all Guild's agents, the Halfling had to select Connor for the task? The two had had the occasional tryst and Elise was not proud for her cliché choice. Especially considering the man was a popular choice for the local female population. Rugged looks, bold, arrogant and deadly. Elise huffed and rolled her eyes, only to see her sister spitting the dark ale back out with a grimace. Lis pressed her lips together to keep from chuckling, it wouldn't do wonders for Ara's mood. The woman reached for her mead and drank a nice gulp of it, she'd need to face the moody sister.

"So, not your favorite, huh? I'm sorry, but that's the softest drink they serve here, the water is muddy and used for cleaning. There's tea at home, though. We can leave as soon as you are satisfied."
She then proceeded with eating her stew, unsure whether or not her sister would speak to her, and slightly distracted by thoughts of Connor and plans of where to begin her revenge and search for answers that night.

Ara grew more uncomfortable as the tavern began to fill with more people. Stuffing a couple more mouthfuls of stew quickly into her mouth, she stood up.
"I'd like to go now." Ara stood straight, still working to accentuate her independence, she began to walk towards the door without looking back, hoping her sister would follow her.
She hated to treat her sister like she meant nothing to Ara. In reality, Ara wanted nothing else but to stay with her sister. To weep and to be cared for. That wouldn't be fair on Elise though. She did not ask for this and Ara knew Lis would prefer she had never found her. Who'd want to look after their pathetic baby sister anyway? Especially one so dangerous. No, it was time. She would save her sister the trouble, she would try and make her way on her own. Her anxiety grew, heart beating faster at the prospect of being alone once more, and suddenly she regretted leaving her old pouch back at the apartment. At the time is seemed out of place and filthy in comparison to her new outfit and she had wanted to seem mature, unattached to such childish things. Now though, Ara wanted the comfort it brought her. The comfort the items inside it brought her.

8 year old Ara had been ripped out bed wailing, the burning inside her all too real. Her small hands clung tightly on to the small doll her mother had made her, even as she was taken away. That doll was a lot more tattered now and far dirtier. It had been her only source of comfort in her cell and she had clung to it every night. It had reminded her that her life before the Mage Tower was real and not just the dream of a lost child. She craved its comfort now and the thought of it sent her steps faster out of the tavern. She needed it, she needed it now and she couldn't breath. She couldn't breath until she was out of this awful tavern and safe with her doll, her Ladybug.

Elise was stunned at the sudden stiff departure of her baby sister. She knew Ara to be peeved, but she had barely eaten enough stew to do any improvement to how malnourished she looked. Lis swallowed down a half-chewed piece if stew than went painfully down her throat and took another swig of mead to help it down, coughing a little. She had expected Ara to stop and looked all ticked off and expectantly at Lis, but no, she just stormed out into the rain. Elise hastily got up, dropping a few coins on the table for the drinks and meals and snagging the bowl with cakes from the table, maybe the sweets would help her sister's mood.

The woman just had time to twirl around on her heels to mouth a 'sorry, will bring back' to Mama Kerr in reference to the bowl she was sort of stealing and saw Connor swaggering his way out of the tavern as well. Damn it. He's the one who's gonna watch Ara. The little curving on the corner of his thin lips may not look like much to others, but Lis knew well he was very amused at how much that bothered her.

Choosing to ignore Connor, Elise burst out of the tavern after Ara, just to find her almost gasping for air on the outside. Laying a gentle hand on her shoulder, Lis started guiding her baby sister to the alley and the door which was covered from view by the stacks of empty crates and barrels outside The Black Flagon. She ushered her in once she had the door open, looking around to make sure nothing had particularly scared Ara, and catching Connor moving across the street to get a good view of the place. She was secretly happy the weather was so miserable, at least something to dampen his amused mood for spying on her.

"Ara, is everything alright? What did I do wrong? Was it about the boots?" her voice was soft, not to provoke her sister's already flared mood.

As soon as Ara was lead into the apartment she rushed to the bag she had left behind the changing screen, opening it with reverence. Inside lay the order of her freedom and more importantly the doll she had named after her own childhood nickname. Pulling out the ragged figure, her back to her sister so there could be no spying, see the hugged the doll tightly to chest. The head brushing her cheek soothingly. She could feel the wave of comfort wash over her and her heart slowed to a more normal pace. It was only then she felt she could reply to Elise.
"I'm fine, Viola."Ara couldn't help the sneer that accompanied the cover name as she hid the doll back in her bag, slinging it around her neck and shoulder.

It felt as though, with this name Lis was denying who she was, the family she belonged to. It felt like Lis was reject her. Well soon enough Lis could just be Viola and not worry about the little sister interrupting her new life. Ara and Ladybug would be fine on their own. They didn't need anyone, not Lis, not a mother nor anyone. Ara eyed the darkening sky through the window wondering how long it'd take for her sister to decide to sleep so that Ara could leave. Now her decision was made, it hurt to wait. Every moment she waited was a moment her resolve could crumble.

"What do you normally do in the evenings then?" Ara asked trying to sound natural though she felt anything but.

Back