The Chronicled World - Fantasy Nation Building

@Amdarh I understand that but I realized that the Eldrin population is for the most part divided into warriors and workers as is fitting with their castes. While I realize 2,500,000 is a lot they’re lightly armored (often unarmored) and lightly armed with bronze weaponry so they’re only a threat when in significant numbers. Also, to be fair I’m not gonna throw all of my warriors at anyone at once so it shouldn’t be a problem.

My concern with everyone's armies is not so much that I think you're trying to over-power yourselves, but realistically it simply is not possible to raise an army that is anywhere close to half your population; The US military, right now, is 0.4% of the nations population. I cap the military at 10% for us, even though historically that's still very large, because I don't think a country could produce enough goods to comfortably feed, arm and pay (even if your only doing two of those) more then that for any length of time. Obviously creative liberties can be taken, but 10% is a soft-limit for immersion and fairness.

So basically; You guys need to calm down with your armies, please.

I understand this but like I said the Eldrin only have two main casts, warriors and workers. They have no concept of civilians or anything outside of the castes and they are bred specifically to be in one of these castes. The only reason I’ve made my army as big as it is is because it doesn’t make sense not to, it’s how the hive works. And it shouldn’t be an issue because they die very easily. They wear no armor, wield bronze weapons which are inferior to steel, and they have poor training.

Also, feeding isn’t really important because soldiers and civilians are gonna need food alike, paying isn’t a problem because the Eldrin don’t use a monetary system, and weapons shouldn’t be too much of an issue because they’re very lightly armed.

The issue isn't that: If only half your people can produce food (your soldiers simply can't unless they're like conscripts with very little training, even then they still can't while marching, otherwise all their time is training and living in forts so they can mobilize when there is a threat) then you won't have enough food to go around. Now I'm fine if you want to say, for balance, that your million-strong army is equal to, say, my 350,000-strong army. That's okay, it's just the logistics of halving your whole population to be army during times of war that wouldn't be good for very long.

The issue isn't that: If only half your people can produce food (your soldiers simply can't unless they're like conscripts with very little training, even then they still can't while marching, otherwise all their time is training and living in forts so they can mobilize when there is a threat) then you won't have enough food to go around. Now I'm fine if you want to say, for balance, that your million-strong army is equal to, say, my 350,000-strong army. That's okay, it's just the logistics of halving your whole population to be army during times of war that wouldn't be good for very long.
Ye your points are valid but most of them are staying in Silverglade I can make a post describing how they’re assisting in good production and such if that helps. That could pose a problem for the Eldrin who have never left the Glade and thus never really experienced large scale war, so I can represent those problems in my writing if that’s ok.

Now I'm fine if you want to say, for balance, that your million-strong army is equal to, say, my 350,000-strong army.
Yeah, I think we should definitely work on the basis each army is equal to the other, save for specific circumstances (outside/inside for candeleb, water for basnans, forests for eldrin...). Which means 1 Forged Born equal roughly 5 eldrin. Pretty good :). And thus losses and impact on economy are 5 times worse...

Yeah, I think we should definitely work on the basis each army is equal to the other, save for specific circumstances (outside/inside for candeleb, water for basnans, forests for eldrin...). Which means 1 Forged Born equal roughly 5 eldrin. Pretty good :). And thus losses and impact on economy are 5 times worse...
Sounds good :emoji_ok_hand:

@Enki : we have been moving slowly tbh, but I haven't given up just yet. Just busy. And yes, now is an excellent time to join. (EDIT: Misread that.) To answer how, I honestly think that we can take more players, and am certainly not opposed to working new blood in. I'll close it when I feel it gets to be too many.

@ChelonianCommander : I'm not waiting for you at the moment. You might monologue if your bored, or reach out to one of us IC. How much would you realize about the elves and basnan ganging up on you?

@TheGreenerGrey : The Blizzard is going to make our trading tough, and the elf players and Amdarh are 'all up in Chel's business', I think they might declare war.

Y'know what, I'm gonna go ahead and introduce a wild element to get things running again. We need some excitement!

Let's go wild boyzzz!

And to my dear friends up north that I hold in such a high esteem *hum* , I imagine the candelebrans would notice the troop movements at the borders and the mustering of forces across the nations. That might give them ideas one way or the other.

I don't know about everyone else, but my military isn't that big. I took everything into account. The total number of people is everyone. Non combative people included.

For example, I just read somewhere (That I haven't fact checked), that about 80% of the US military is in a non combative role. My armed forces number is everyone on the government payroll in the military. Just like in the real world, not everyone is a soldier. It includes even the janitors and cooks. People who maintain the bases and ports. They are still employed by the military.

It also includes reserve forces. In the US, Reserve forces are part time. Similar to what I do. They aren't full time.

It would be similar to a draft, if they were called up. Or similar to the national guard. For example, I mobilized some of them for disaster relief when the plague hit. Similar to what the US does with it's national guard and disasters.

So don't worry. If Athea goes to war, half the population isn't going. It isn't sustainable.aybe about 60- 70% of that number, are combat roles. Of that, I haven't done the math, but I think only 60-70 % of them, are active. And even nye saying active, doesn't mean they are all working. They are on rotation. So about 33% of the 60-70% of the 60-70% are in combat roles at this very moment in any given time.

So don't nobody be throwing fits.

Back