The Contest of Mortals [OOC]

I noticed a question: Do our weapons count as abilities or not? Aka should a simple swing of a staff be an ability or not? Unsure as I do not want to accidentally make something OP

I noticed a question: Do our weapons count as abilities or not? Aka should a simple swing of a staff be an ability or not? Unsure as I do not want to accidentally make something OP
no don't worry

I have a few questions:
1. Can we prep multiple abilities simultaneously? If so, how much?
2. Does setting a disadvantage by lengthening the required prep time have any benefits?
3. Is it possible for a weapon to deal damage to a combatant in an armor with enough blows? If so, how much would I need to chip at his/her armor to destroy/disable it?
4. How versatile can our non-ability powers be, and how much will they affect the fight? I see that other people have a few of these. How many can my character have them? I don't want to grant my character unfair tactical advantage but I want my character to be relatively well-equipped to have a decent chance of winning.
5. I want to PM you the character sheets but I want to post general info here, like race / description / etc. Would that be possible?

Thanks and have a great day!

Name: Ankiara
Nickname: The Viper
Race: Genetically modified human, a failed supersoldier, human-snake hybrid. (Shortly put she was since birth part of a genetical program where newborn children were to become genetically modified supersoldiers, specialized in something. She was made to have certain genes of snakes, with the goal of giving her the ability to be far more agile. Things went awfully wrong as she was injected mostly wrong genes, resulting in her having her body covered in yellow scales and get snake eyes., with only a tiny boost in her agility and nimbleness.)
Sex: Female
Homeworld: Genetics lab 23, Kalion V
Galaxy: Milky Way (leave this)
Description: Yellow scaled around the size of 5 feet and 10 inches, with weight around 60kg. Yellow snake-like eyes and a pair of snake's retractable teeth. Lithe and athletic figure. Failed child that the laboratory decided to profit from by training her until she was 18 before sending her off to be sold as a slave to fight in the arena. She turned out to have few extra things received thanks to the genetical modifications that were not known until she was sent to the arena, which will be the ultimate and intermediate abilities.
Abilities: (Three special abilities)
Primary: (Serpent's rush.) 1 turn (Using her serpent-like agility she can quickly jump in and out of combat, if the foe is within the reach of 15 feet.
Intermediate: (Pistol with a laser sight, Hollow point round) 3 turns (She pulls out her gun and uses one of the five hollow point bullets that her clip has, which will be a good thing to use in combination with a spitting attack. For people who don't know, hollow point bullets are able to penetrate moderate amounts of armor with ease[which is why they are illegal to use in RL wars.])
Ultimate: (Venomous saliva.) 5 turns (She produces venomous saliva that she can either use to coat her weapons in poison, coat her snake teeth in it for a good bite attack or just spit it forth. Spitting decreases damage output of the poison, but has range of several feet, around 20 feet. The poison is a quickly working poison, that when entering the enemy's body through touch (note, it will have a quite low PH level of 4,2 so it'll produce a nice scratch on skin) will be able to cause paralyzation and temporary ineffectivity of the cognitive functions. Biting has a delay of one turn, but then kicks in and paralyzes the enemy for two turns. Good enough for slicing the throat in peace. Spitting makes the paralyzation last for only one turn.)

I hope this is acceptable?

Last edited:
There's some stupid stuff going on in the first fight, so I'm gonna get more strict now (my fault really)
@Enki Yea it looks pretty balanced except I would replace the second ability with something more powerful (You don't need to Prep to play dead.)
Just change ^ that ^ and you should be fine

@Kain the Necromancer
1. No
2. No, lengthening prep time is just for a stronger ability to balance it out
3. It will deal damage regardless, armor would just reduce it. Also, If the weapon is special (like a plasma sword or an electric rod) then that effect could also apply to the persons armor
4. Non abilities are just regular fighting things, it can be anything from kicking them in the face to tossing them over your head. You should try to make these relativley low damage because it wouldn't be very fair other wise
5. Yea, go ahead.

NOTE TO EVERYONE: Look at the character sheets of @Littlemankitten or @Enki , these are what you should STRIVE FOR in terms of 1)REALISTICNESS 2)BALANCE 3)NOT BEING AN ACTUAL GOD, THE NAME IS CONTEST OF MORTALS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

Can you clarify what you mean by "some stupid stuff"? And also, can I get a brief description of the arena?
My guess is stupid stuff like being far stronger than a typical mortal being, trying to argue that being demigod with amazing superpowers is being acceptable, being op, metagaming retconning little piece of shit who does not ask for permission for different things that are related to the other person. Y'know, the usual stupid things that people can do to cause extreme cringe and frustration.

Reactions: WiZ
My guess is stupid stuff like being far stronger than a typical mortal being, trying to argue that being demigod with amazing superpowers is being acceptable, being op, metagaming retconning little piece of shit who does not ask for permission for different things that are related to the other person. Y'know, the usual stupid things that people can do to cause extreme cringe and frustration.
Oh okay. I thought he meant something else since he specifically mentioned "stupid stuff going on in the first fight". I looked at it and it looked sort of fine to me. Also I wanted to know a definite answer to Littlemankitten's first IC post.

What I was thinking for the Arena was just a Colosseum styled field about 50 feet in diameter. We can say that, since this is Sci-Fi, the Arena is mechanical and can change fields from a metal floor to a grassy field to a dusty circle. Also, there are several robotic barriers that come up before a fight in random places around The Arena, just to provide some form of cover.
colosseum_2.jpg

5190957-9971525276-58273.jpg

Back