The IEF Venture (Sci-Fi, Exploration, Spess!)

Nilum

The Wanderer Returned
Benefactor
“The trip from Earth to Mars used to take six months to the planet, eighteen months to remain in orbit, and another six months to make a return trip. The chains of gravitational forces kept the exploration of space limited—grounded. The dreams of many science fiction authors and business entrepreneurs were kept in check.

That is, until 2030. While most of the world was dealing with a new political crisis in the Middle East, NASA cracked a new thrust mechanism that could operate off of nuclear power. They christened this new engine the ETE (Electric Thrust Engine), and used it to almost erase the need for fuel entirely. Now, a ship could leave Earth’s atmosphere and reenter it several times without needing to refuel, and could make the trip to Mars in just three months. What happened after was an explosion of scientific, economic, and militaristic endeavours. The Space Race began anew, with countries all over the world competing to build space stations, and to colonize various planetoids with outposts in the system.

In the year 2090, planning and construction began of five, capital ship class, exploration vessels via an orbital shipyard. These vessels would be outfitted with an experimental FTL drive that could allow humanity to escape Sol itself, and explore the galaxy around them. The Interstellar Earth Forces—or IEF—came to be formed as an international organization that would serve the interests of all mankind in its endeavours to explore all of space.

The year is 2120. Humanity has ventured beyond its cradle... And soon, it will reach out to the stars, like destiny itself commanded. The five capital ships were christened on the 1st of January, 2120. The crews were selected in advance, and trained in a gruelling program that required all of a person’s wits and strength to pass. For the past two years, you have been preparing for this.

Out of millions of applicants, you were selected to join the Expeditionary Forces branch of the IEF, aboard the IEF Venture. You will be one of four hundred men and women who will reach out to the stars. Your goal will be to act as the first and last line of exploration and defence—you will go in first, and leave last. Whether it’s a mission of peace, or a mission of conflict.

We do not know what we will find out there. It will be far beyond even our imagination, and when you are out there, you will be on your own—cut off from contacting us. Make humanity proud... And don’t forget to come home, and tell us all what is out there.”

Fleet Command Final Preparation Letter, circa 2120.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The IEF Venture is a role play about the beginning of mankind’s exploration into deep space. You will play as a member of the IEF Venture’s crew, in the Expeditionary Forces (EF) branch—which is a military branch of the IEF. You will be the first to leave the ship, and the last to return to it—for missions of exploration, or conflict. You will explore a variety of exotic locations, with the ultimate objective of discovering more about the universe, and finding candidates for human colonization. The Earth is overpopulated to a borderline unsustainble level, and this is the only escape from draconian birth control policies that would plunge the world into anarchy.

I’ve opened things up and given players the greatest flexibility of choices possible. In this universe, Telepaths and AI’s exist, and you can play as them. In terms of science fiction hardness, this is about a middle of the road endeavour—it loosely follows principles of physics and biology, but will gleefully follow the logic of Clarke’s Third Law at points—like with FTL. It does have internally consistent logic, that it will try to abide by as best as it can. If, however, you are looking for something that is strictly realistic, you will likely be disappointed.

Nonetheless, this a roleplay about exploration and the unknown. You will play as a single character in this, as a member of the EF detachment aboard one of humanity’s finest capital ships. If this sort of thing interests you, let me know in this thread and I’ll add your name to the list of people to alert when the role play goes live. If you have any questions, ask them—I will be glad to answer them.

Regardless, good luck out there. It’s a large universe, filled with many things...

SPEEEESS!

Edit: I like Axl's idea, so I'm copying it.
T2-M80-DM17R1

Last edited:
I am interested in this. :D
I can dig it.
Interested
Ooh, very interested!
interested
SPESSSSSSS!
SPEEEESS!

Edit: I like Axl's idea, so I'm copying it.
T2-M80-DM17R1
Placing this as a note so I don't forget:
AVSTERE
Very, very interested.

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

That's the RP OOC. Don't mind me, I'm just sleep deprived.

Back