The meaning of life.

Trust

The Nobody in particular
I like to think of myself as a.. Somewhat philosophical one, and this is probably the question I tend to dwell on the most.
What is the meaning of life?
I, personally, like to think that the purpose of our lives is to simply enjoy ourselves, and that there is no real greater meaning, that there is no goal but to be happy, but we find this so difficult sometimes due to people manipulating others for what they think they want.
I'd like to hear some opinions on it, feel free to tell me I'm wrong, because if there's one point to philosphy, a point is never wrong, just.. Different.

Sorry if you find this a kinda boring subject..

I'll engage you, sweet summer child.

The purpose of life is to find the purpose of life. All of life, all the material that life is composed of, was first born in the heat of a dying star. We are, in essence, pieces of the universe, attempting to understand itself. Children, orbiting in a fragile cradle around an entity of such furious intensity that it sends off millions of nuclear bombs worth of energy every day into space--just a fraction of which reaches our world.

The meaning of life is the driving force behind life itself. The day we crack it is the day we unravel ourselves. However, like perfection, it may just be a goal that is impossible to truly achieve. Something just beyond our reach, but which we reach for anyway. We live in a marvelous moment of the timespan of the universe, in a blink of the universe's eye, we're gone.

Yet all that we achieve in that blink is far beyond that which nature achieves naturally at its own pace.

We are mother nature's replacement, evolved to change and grow faster than any natural process ever could. We're the apex of the natural process.

Where we're going, I do not know. It should be fascinating, though...

But.. What is the meaning of life?
We know what we are already ^_^
All that has made us up, has itself been made up of something else, which is a strange thought to think when you think about what we eat.

There is no definitive answer to give that a higher cause has definitively proven to have declared onto the world as being our true purpose. In lieu of a concrete answer, you must assume there is not one. The purpose of life is whatever you make of it.
You cannot possibly know the history of the ground beneath your feat. The people who have walked on it, talked on it, nothing you do in life is permanent and few people will remember it even just a few generations from now. By the time we reach the level of over-surveillance and over-saturation of knowledge regarding the most trivial of goingson, what you do will just be lost in a sea of irrelevant information. This is all fleeting. Why not enjoy it while you can, since it makes no difference?
My goal, the one I've made for myself, is simply to enjoy life and lead a good one.
A good life to me is a life not spent making it hard or impossible for others to find joy, at its most basic.

Meaning of life. It means alot of things. Your family. Your relationships! Your religion! It all takes a step in faith. Just go for the world!

Wow this site is just filled with existentialists huh. It is easier to just stop trying to look for a definite answer and just choose what you feel like I guess.

Well.. Everything should have a purpose. Without a reason to do anything, you have no will to do it ^_^

There's no purpose, I'd think. Everything was formed from glorious, haphazard chaos and chance, and that's beautiful in itself. This 'meaning' of life varies from person to person - their goals, beliefs, hopes and dreams. Life doesn't give you an instruction manual, no list to check off, no end goal. You have to blaze your own path, experience things for yourself. You'll have your ups, your downs, your gray areas. It's crazy, hectic, random, but that's the part that makes life worth living. No answer to this question, really.

There's no purpose, I'd think. Everything was formed from glorious, haphazard chaos and chance, and that's beautiful in itself. This 'meaning' of life varies from person to person - their goals, beliefs, hopes and dreams. Life doesn't give you an instruction manual, no list to check off, no end goal. You have to blaze your own path, experience things for yourself. You'll have your ups, your downs, your gray areas. It's crazy, hectic, random, but that's the part that makes life worth living. No answer to this question, really.
well, if there's no point in living.. There's no point in living.
I'm not saying we have some big, universal purpose we should all collectively work towards, but what is your goal in life?

But.. What is the meaning of life?
We know what we are already ^_^
All that has made us up, has itself been made up of something else, which is a strange thought to think when you think about what we eat.
The meaning of life is what you make of it, child. Beyond that, the universe provides no certainty--only mystery.

There is no meaning to life. You're less than a megapixel in space and time. Nothing you do will have a lasting effect on the universe.

You need to find your own reasons to live within the frame of your limited experience. Be your own authority on what you consider meaningful. Either that or spend your time simply fearing death more than a lack of meaning, or press the exit button.

We are, in essence, pieces of the universe, attempting to understand itself. .
Fan of Alan Watts? We are a way for the universe to experience itself. I think the meaning of Life is simple and often overthought, the meaning of life is whatever you make of it.
"A universe without purpose should neither depress us nor suggest that our lives are purposeless. Though an awe-inspiring cosmic history we find ourselves on this remote planet in a remote corner of the universe. Endowed with intelligence and self awareness. We should not despair , but should humbly rejoice in making the most of these gifts, and celebrate our brief moment in the sun. " ~Lawrence Krauss

Fan of Alan Watts?
I am a fan of many people, either my peers, or my superiors. Men of wisdom, intellect, or simple sharp wit, who brought to my imagination the fireworks of creativity.

If, however, I had to pick any particular quotation to describe, in short, my view toward the meaning of life, it is thus.

"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." -Jack London, Jack London's Tales of Adventure.

I think that the meaning of life is to find something that gives meaning to your life, no matter what that might be!

Nihilism. There is no meaning, nothing is alive or dead. We as lifeforms are all just matter that figured out how to move, and someday we'll forget.
If you want to follow the synthesized chemicals within the matter that makes up your brain, then you will find a purpose - whether it be a mainstream one within the world of life, such as reproduction or consumption, or maybe a more elaborate one of your choice. Ultimately the answer is up to you and only you, because if you think life has a purpose, then that purpose is yours, and it is you.

Some say life bites but I say bite at life as much as you can and then chew like hell!

To me, the logical meaning of life is reproduction, no reproduction, no life. No life, no reproduction.

As a traditional nihilist, I mean, old-old nihilism, I believe our goal in life, is to find the meaning of life. Don't ask for it, because you no-one can give you the right answer. That's a question for yourself. I personally believe life is a constant war between utilitarianism and hedonism. We gotta keep this things in equilibrium. But, these things may not apply to you. I hate to be dismissive, but, find it yourself.

All we do has an impact on the world, whether they are small or big. Someone's death may cause World War III, while the other's birth can cause the air to shift just enough for someone to get an idea for a rp character. That is our meaning in life: to influence the world around as naturally as possible with our acts.

Back