Deus Ex Machina Twilight River

Monster the Vamelfaer

Sells all the Shubi
Twilight River
Dedicated to Dilucos, God of Twilight, the Twilight River was once an actual river that wound its way through Auroris naturally, but it has since been channeled and become a canal, evolving with the rest of the city. The canal reaches every main part of the Moon Level, the the bulk of it runs straight down the center of the Moon Level, running from one end of the city to the other. This portion is always filled with barges taking goods to and from the city, making it the main vein of export for the city. There are locks on either end of the canal, built into the city walls in order to control boat traffic. The locks are operated 24/7, and though most people on the Moon Level have learned to tune it out, newcomers are always complaining about its constant screeching and banging (not to mention the smell of the canal).

Of this main part of the Twilight River, boardwalks line each side, well-illuminated by electric lights. Several shops are found in this area.

*There is a red brick chimney near the main walkway that has smoke billowing out of it constantly. This is where you will find the Granville Smithy, workshop of the premier Blacksmith on the Moon Level, Julius Granville. His open workshop looks cluttered, but examples of his craftsmanship can be seen everywhere and the interior design feels as friendly and inviting as the man himself is.

*credits to jrusso20

Last edited:
Julius Granville - Granville Smithy

There was a one eyed blacksmith working away on a new sword by the furnace, the man Auroris knows as Julius Granville, acting as if he didn't even know what today was. He did, of course, know but the celebration was for Sun level participants only. The celebration wasn't worth his time or effort, all that mattered was finishing the orders that were due today for his loyal customers, then heading off for some moonshine tonight. He worked away, hearing the river come to life with people behind him, he'd have customers soon, and he was ready.

Adelaide Bennett - Granville Smithy
Ada hesitated outside the door of the smithy for a moment. She didn't come to the Moon Level very often, and if she ever did, it was usually on business. Of course, this was business as well, but that didn't make her any less nervous coming down here. Even as a kid she'd always had a fear of the dark, or rather, a fear of what lurked in the dark. The Moon Level was the perfect symbol of everything she feared in this world, and she preferred to face that fear as little as possible. Still, this was the best place to come to get the materials she needed for work, and today was the best time to do it, since most everyone was up in the Sun Level.

Ada took a small breath before turning the door handle and hesitantly stepping inside the smithy. Not seeing the blacksmith immediately, she stood awkwardly in the door for a moment before clearing her throat, making her presence known.

He'd just finished up the metalwork of a new rapier when he heard a throat being cleared in the main shop. "Be with ya in a minute!" He called out to whoever was out there. Setting the rapier in the coolant, he pulled off his gloves and stepped into the main store. "Welcome to the Granville Smithy, name's Julius Granville, good ta meet ya." He held out his hand for the girl who had entered his store, inviting her to shake it. "So what can I do for ya, lass?" He asked, his tone warm and friendly.

Ada looked around the smithy for a moment. What had she come here for again...? Oh! That's right. She pulled out a list of items written in tight, slanted letters, squinted at it for a moment, then put the paper in the man's outstretched hand. "Uh, materials! Parts. For the, the airship. Engine. Parts."

What am I even saying? She shook her head in confusion. "Sorry, that's not... Sorry." She took a short breath before continuing, "I'm Adelaide Bennett." Then she realized just why the man had stretched out his hand in the first place, and she blushed with embarrassment. "Oh. Uh... Sorry." She clasped her hands behind her back, thinking it was probably too late to shake hands by now.

The shorter man raised his eyebrow at the girl's panicked response, choosing to take the list in stride and forgive her unintentional rudeness. "It's alright, Lass. But word a advice? Relax a little, the twilight river is one a the safer places in the moon level and here at the Granville Smithy, I pride myself on quality customer service." He said giving her a friendly pat on the arm.

Looking over the list, Julius scratched at his beard and grunted in affirmation. "Welp, Adelaide, I got some good news and bad news for ya. Good news is that most of the parts you're looking for can be found here, bad news is that some of them cant and have to be custom made by me, which could take anywhere from an afternoon to three days depending on your quality. I can get ya whatcha need, but it's gonna cost ya quite a bit."

Ada couldn't help but cringe internally. She had heard that the service here was good and the parts wouldn't break down as quickly, so she'd decided to try it out rather than the usual providers she'd go to in the Sun Level. Still, the price might be an issue... But such would be the cost for quality. Her dad was always so much better at these things than she was; dealing with people, money, and all those other practical things. She just did physical labor and let him handle everything else. Not anymore, unfortunately.

"H-how much will it cost?" Ada asked warily. She didn't have too much money to spend, what with her father's hospital bills.

He ran the numbers silently in his head. "Welp, for all the parts you can find out here, I'd say that would cost about ten silver. Custom made parts however run up quite high. Normally it'd cost about one hundred silver, but you seem like a nice kid, so I'll knock off a quarter of the price and make it seventy five. Fair enough, right? Making these kinds a parts is hard work, lass." He gave her a smile, he could tell the poor kid didn't have much money, but wanted to help her out regardless, he blames it on his bleeding heart.

"Oh yes, of course. I understand," Ada replied. It was still pricey, but if she remembered correctly she should still make enough money to still make a profit. Hopefully if the parts were all that good, she might even make more money than usual eventually. "Thank you. I'm just... Not used to this part of business. I guess." Ada looked down at her feet before noticing how dirty her boots had gotten. She absently knocked her boot on the floor, watching a clod of dirt fall off.

He nodded in understanding, the girl must've been a full time mechanic sent on an errand by the business owner. Come to think of it, Julius could actually see a bit of someone he knew in the girl's features, but he couldn't actually place his finger on who he was thinking of.

"It's different everywhere you go, lass. The way I conduct my business is that you pay for all the parts you can find here immediately. Then you place your orders for custom made parts, pay me in advance, and if I completely botch up the job, you get some of your money back. I haven't botched a job since my first year though so don't count on that." He chuckled heartily. "So tell me, Adelaide, which company are you working for that needs these parts? Just so I know there aint anything shady going on here."

Ada blinked, looking slightly flustered. She hadn't been expecting the question. "I uh, I work for my father's mechanic shop. Bennett Repairs. Or, my shop. I guess it's mine now..." She winced and trailed off. Even though it had been a year, Ada still wasn't used to admitting out loud that the business no longer belonged to her father, but to her. It felt like admitting defeat, somehow. As if she were confirming that he would never be coming back from that hospital.

His face lit up at the mention of Bennett Repairs. "That's where I knew your name from! You're Henry Bennett's little girl aren't you?! Me and your father have been doing business for around fourteen years now. Broke my heart to hear the old man came down sick. And look at you! All grown up into a fine young woman, I'm sure he's proud. Tell you what, for a loyal customer of mine, I'll knock the price down to fifty percent. It's the least I could do." His smile the largest its been in quite some time.

Ada almost turned down the offer. It felt like exploiting her father's condition, though she reminded herself that this had less to do with his illness and more to do with longstanding business partners. Plus, her father had always told her to never turn down a true act of kindess. He'd said that kindness was so rare in their world, and it had to be nurtured at any cost, even if that meant laying down your own pride.

Ada smiled weakly at Julius. "Th-thank you. You're very kind, thank you," she managed.

He gave the girl an encouraging pat on the shoulder. "Don't mention it, lass. Now go and collect the stuff you need so I can get to making the custom parts you need." He said as he went to his counter and began running the numbers. "Tell the old man I said hello when you see him again, eh? Dear ole, Henry was a good friend. I'm gonna miss him terribly when he's gone. Your total price is 60 silver, check back tomorrow to see how much progress I've made."

Ada did as she was bidden and made short work of collecting the parts she needed, moving as quickly as she could to get out of the smithy. Her frantic behavior didn't have anything to do with Julius - he seemed like a nice enough man - but she couldn't shake the feeling that something terrible had just happened. She had to get back to the Sun Level; had to see what was wrong. So Ada paid, then rushed out the door, materials in hand. Have to get back, have to get back...

Mr. V. - Twilight River

He resented being thrown at the front of the group like a glorified scout. He was a good tracker but being ordered around by a woman he didn't even know, it irritated him greatly. He relished in an opportunity to toy with the young assassin who'd been sent to kill him though. She was foolish enough to tell him that she was hunting him, so the least he could do is take advantage of the opportunity.

They were alone at the front of the group together, so he walked right beside her, his head observing the river. "So tell me, how did such a pretty young woman such as yourself get hired to kill a man like me? I don't exactly have many enemies still breathing, so it was either one of the figureheads or someone new."

After the young mechanic had left, Julius had returned to work. Having made remarkable progress on most of the weapons he needed to forge today. He was locking up to head to the Moonshine pub when he saw what looked like a small group of sun dwellers strolling through the area. He decided to observe but not interact for now. Get a sense of what they seemed to be doing.

Sid - Twilight River
"As you wish, madam."
The human's abrupt command had him slightly taken aback, but he did as he was told and took his place by her side; walking along side her in silence. Soon, they reached the Twilight River and the automaton's curiosity got the best of him.
"Madam, may I be so bold to ask what our destination is?"

Ginger and Nadri- Twilight River
"If someone was to commit a murder, there usually is a weapon. Where would that weapon be hiding?" Ginger said with a smile towards Sid. "Before we continue," she paused as she took her hood off, looking at the group with a saddened expression. "This is rather personal to me, part of my family died and to get the news that it might be Luna, your grandmother, you would want to know why, right? I apologize if I seem rude or disrespectful to all of you." With that she turned to the river and began to search through the water.

Nadri chuckled at his words, her hand lazily draped around her dagger. "Someone new? I think you know this person well, Harold. Enough to where I could sit on wealth for the rest of my life, if I kill you. I do appreciate the compliment but you should know that flattery doesn't work well with people with the same profession as yours, hunter." She patted his mask again before walking away to help with the search.

Mr. V. and Julius Granville

The masked assassin could only scowl behind the mask as this rookie continued to toy with him. Someone he knew quite well, and could offer that much wealth. There was only one man who both fit Nadri's description, and was ruthless enough to hire a bounty hunter to take him out. William Harris, owner of the apartments of the Sun Level. He's gone to great lengths to keep his monopoly intact, and many of those lengths, Mr. V had personally destroyed for high pay.

He followed the group to the river, unfortunately his infrared vision wouldn't be of any use here, but his eyes were still sharp enough to keep an eye out for anything suspicious.

Julius had a hard time taking this group seriously as they seemed to be searching the river itself for some sort of clue. Then the smith remembered the visitor who'd thrown a perfectly good sword into the river not an hour ago. He pressed his luck. "Ho there, strangers. Gotta say, you're an interesting group. Ya seem to be looking for something, and I don't mean to brag, but I know this river better than anyone in the Moon Level. I could be willing to help ya, if the price is right."

Ginger didn't face Julius to acknowledge him, continuing her search. "I won't put a price on finding a murder weapon. Either you help us or don't, it will be found eventually. You, girl, take someone with you and look further down the river." she pointed to Nadri, before moving further away herself.

Nadri was pulled out of her thoughts by the 'order' Ginger gave her, walking off towards the direction the demi-god pointed too. Looking towards Mr.V, she made a motion for him to follow her. "Our glorious leader wants me to take someone with me. I choose you, come along now."

Back