What Are You Watching? 2022 Edition!

Ver

Endearing Misanthrope
The Convergence Series GM
For the longest time I'd had the urge to make a thread somewhere to record everything I'd been watching, and I figured I may as well put it on a forum so others can feel free to record and post about what stuff they've been watching, whether it be movies or TV shows, since I love learning about what stuff other people are into as well!

So, for anyone looking in here, what have you been watching lately, and what are your thoughts on it?

I'll start! Since I intended for this to be a record of the year's activities, I may as well start with everything I finished over the past month.

Movies
  • Belle - Usually I'm actually not much of a Mamoru Hosoda stan, but this honestly might be my favorite movie from him, blasphemous as it may sound since I know more people are head over heels for his other works like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children, but hey, that soundtrack was a real banger if nothing else.
  • Scream - Or as literally anyone else would call it in casual conversation, Scream 5. Was a fun time, even though I spent quite a bit of time stressing over how much I'd enjoy it since I remembered nothing about the elaborate, intricate Scream lore. For a movie drolly aware about the pointlessness of its own existence, it does a good job holding up that distinctive Scream brand of self-satire and commentary indicative of what's going on right now.
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula - The 1992 movie, directed by Francis Ford Coppola. Funny how he made such a bold claim to Stoker's name for this movie, but it's definitely more Coppola's vision than Stoker's. Good for what it is, ultimately. Amusing to see a very young Keanu here, before he'd reached his prime in the following years. Despite my words, this is in fact the most faithful adaptation of the novel you'll get, unless you really feel inclined to hunt down some obscure European adaptation from the 70s also starring Christopher Lee in the role.
  • Fate/Grand Order: Divine Realm of the Round Table: Camelot -- Paladin;Agateram - Don't worry about it.
  • Fate/Grand Order: Final Singularity: Grand Temple of Time -- Solomon - Don't worry about it.
  • Nobody - I simply cannot believe Saul Goodman just snapped like that. Fun time, doesn't put up any airs about wanting to be something it's not.

TV
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Wing - Started this last December, but finished it on New Year's Day conveniently enough, and also watched the Endless Waltz continuation about a week later. I know this is evidently a really popular entry in the West since it aired on Toonami, though I myself never grew up with it, so I was able to approach it with fresh eyes. To that end, I'll admit I wasn't wholly impressed with it; nothing too terrible about it, especially when you know you're just watching a bit of '90s schlock, but it just didn't wow me very much, especially coming off the previous Gundam entries that came before.
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED - Yeah, I started this like right after Wing since I saw it was also on Hulu. I actually liked this quite a bit more than Wing, though I've also observed SEED is pretty polarizing overall, though overall, it was another thing that I walked away from with a bit of a resounding shrug after I finished. I told my sister I watched this shortly after finishing and she was like "oh, the worst one" without missing a beat, so that was amusing.
  • Doom Patrol Season 3 - Pure fun all around! This show is easily one of the best things DC has done over the past ten years and is emblematic of cape media at its best, being able to deftly juggle tones ranging from bizarre and comedic to emotional and tearjerking. Also, Brendan Fraser continues to be an absolute king.
  • Uma Musume Pretty Derby - Listen, my friend told me to watch this, this one's not on me. But yes it pisses me off how weirdly good this was. The second season, at least. I will not be taking further comments.
  • Horimiya - Cute little rom-com slice of life anime. Not too much to really say but it got the job done. I suppose one of these days I ought to pick up the manga since that's already finished as well.

I'm watching Hellsing Ultimate. Personally, I think it's better than the original Hellsing anime since it's BASED OFF THE MANGA, unlike Hellsing.

I haven’t seen any films lately, but television wise I’ve been watching:
Archive 81: A really good Netflix horror show based on a podcast that uses elements of Analog Horror and two separate but interconnected timelines. Probably my favorite show in a long time.
Reacher: Yeah they made a TV series of Jack Reacher minus Tom Cruise. It’s been quite interesting, if a bit predictable plot-wise so far.
Keeping Up Appearances: An old British comedy series from the 90’s about a woman trying to act upper class but keeps annoying everyone around her and fucking up in front of people.

Series
The Legend of Vox Machina
- I'm having a lot of fun with this series. So far, they release a few episodes every Friday. I guess it's a condensed version of TTRP sessions from Critical Role, but I've never seen them. Still, it's full of fantasy, drama, humor, and action, but it's very much NSFW so be aware of that if you plan on checking it out.

Invincible - Another animated series like Vox Machina and also very NSFW. Some people might look at this show as just another Superman archetype flipped on its head and that's fair. There is one particular character whose story and even very presence annoys me, but I think there are a lot of other parts of the show that are well done enough that I glaze over the parts I dislike.

The Boys -Not animated but another series that is NSFW and should be avoided by those who are easily triggered by sex and gore. You might be noticing a trend, but I am more diverse than this in my taste. This just happens to be what I've been watching recently. The original comic book is about superheroes written by a guy who will gladly tell you about how much he hates superheroes. Season 2 came out a while ago, but I haven't watched it yet.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - It's from 2017 but I just started watching this on Prime. I'm a few episodes into the first season. So far, it's hysterical. It takes place in the 1950s-60s and follows "Midge", a housewife living in New York who pursues a career in stand-up comedy. It's only up to 4 seasons and for my own sake, I hope it doesn't continue too much longer.

Movies
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
- I'm a fan of the MCU movies. I love a few of them, I enjoy most of them, and I only really dislike a couple. I enjoyed this one and would like to see more of the character.

The Eternals - It was okay. I didn't hate it, but I'll never want to watch it again. If there are ever any major callbacks to it in future movies, I'll probably miss them. There is one scene that I loved and that really got my imagination going, when the Celestial appeared over the planet.

Shaun of the Dead - I've seen this movie a dozen times and then some. This is one of those movies that I can watch over and over and never get sick of it. Even among non-comedies, I consider this one of the greatest zombie movies ever made.

Documentaries
The Eye of the Beholder: The Art of Dungeons & Dragons
- Pretty obvious what this is about from the title. It primarily follows the careers of classic D&D artists Larry Elmore, Jeff Easley, Clyde Caldwell, and the late Keith Parkinson. Gerald Brom's work on Dark Sun is also heavily covered. This is one of those documentaries that I've watched over and over again, sometimes just letting it play in the background.

Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown - This talked about the life and work of H.P. Lovecraft. I'm more a fan of the world Lovecraft created than I am of his work and even then, I'm more interested in the weird worlds and stories he inspired others to create. Still, I found his life and the time he lived in to be fascinating so I really enjoyed this documentary.

New month calls for a bump and another update on what I've had my nose in since I've last posted!

Movies
  • Death on the Nile - You've heard of "chewing the scenery." Now watch Kenneth Branagh eat it whole as Hercule Poirot here.
  • Uncharted - It's pretty interesting how the idea of adapting video games into film or TV has sort of become both reductive and redundant ever since the video game medium established its own unique strengths in the field of storytelling. Anyway, just watch the fan film instead, with Nathan Fillion. Or play the games. Or both.

TV
  • The Book of Boba Fett - One of George Lucas's greatest accomplishments is tricking Star Wars fans into believing Boba Fett deserved his own solo show. Seems like they could have just saved half of the material here for The Mandalorian Season 3 instead.
  • Ultraman Season 1 - The CGI anime, exclusive to Netflix. Usually I'm not a fan of the style of CGI anime to begin with, but this was better than I expected. Interested in what season 2 will bring in April.
  • Peacemaker Season 1 - Oozing with style and heart, this has James Gunn written all over it, and is already shaping up to be one of the best DC projects of the last few years.
  • Komi Can't Communicate Season 1 - An anime that is exactly what it says on the tin. A bit repetitive with its gags and scenarios, but still cute and amusing all the same.
  • Supergirl Season 6 - Empty calories in TV form. Same applies to the rest of DC's CW shows.
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin - Let it be known that Char Aznable is one of the greatest anime characters of all time.

Back at it again. Anything new with you guys?

Movies
  • The Batman - So far, this is the best movie of the year for me, and one of the best comic book movies of all time.
  • Jujutsu Kaisen 0 - Hi, my name's Yuta. My girlfriend Rika hates your vibes, so we're gonna kill you now.
  • Morbius - So far, this is the worst movie of the year, and one of the worst comic book movies of all time. Perfectly balanced.

TV
  • Star Wars Rebels Seasons 1 and 2 - It's okay so far. Season 2 ended on a really strong note at least, so I'm interested in how the rest of the series will play out. Otherwise, I'm mostly here for Sabine right now.
  • Demon Slayer Season 2: Entertainment District Arc - TENGEN "THE MAIN MAN" UZUI LET'S GO BABY
  • Tenjho Tenge - I thought the premise sounded cool but then it sucked instead, and then to add insult to injury, I saw someone say the anime's plot is actually nothing like the manga's, which is much better, so I just wasted my time.
  • Smallville Season 6 - The CW really has just been using Green Arrow as Diet Batman for like 15 years. Perhaps the same could be said for DC too.

Back