What is Anime, and why is it so popular?

Inconspicuous

Super classy secret agent
Well, basically what the title says. I see it on about half the profile pics and in a lot of character sheets (Pictures for reference), and it is often discussed. I don't have TV, so I usually just watch Netflix or borrow something from the library. So, please explain. Just for the sake of curiosity.

Because it's foreign. Most things that are not immediately familiar or identified with western culture evoke interest, good or bad, in western viewers.
It's also why some people have an immediate disdain for anime, as it's something that's atypical to people who are not Japanese. Your Mileage May Vary.
It's the same reason as to why one of the most popular cartoons in Korea is Steven Universe or, for the while, Tom and Jerry was the most popular cartoon in Japan.

No one can give you an exact because all anime is is animation, anime being short for animation, from Japan. It encompasses many different art styles, genres, themes, and programming for different age groups.

It's like asking what makes cartoons popular in America. There's many cartoons, something for every person.

Animation opens up to possibilities that are impossible to enact out well by means of Live Action. The Western attempts to do this are frequently called "cartoons", which I like to refer to as "trash". However, the art style and plotlines in animes are appealing. In addition to a properly written story line, animes can be both are entertaining and interesting to watch.

And Waifus.

Well, a lot of uncertainty and contempt circles around anime and its viewers. Personally I like anime -- not a huge fan, but there's some good stuff out there that I just haven't been able to find in Western animation. (Btw if you want a really good anime studio, Studio Ghibli is the way to go. It's probably the least anime-anime out there, though, because movies like Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are loved even by people who don't like anime.)

Commonly those who dislike anime associate those who watch it with the negative term 'weeaboo', and that's another reason why there are so many mixed opinions on it. In addition, there is a lot of trash out there in the anime community, no doubt. Some of the most popular shows are plagued with ecchi harem crap, lolis, and over-sexualized fanservice, to name a few. And I'm not going to even get started on the fan base. However, there are good ones out there; you just have to sift through a lot of the garbage first. And, ultimately, what appeals to you is based on who you are.

The users above me have all explained it pretty well but, in essence, anime is just Japanese cartoons. There are some good shows and some bad shows, and there are even anime that are English dubbed, if you don't want to read subtitles. Nonetheless it isn't popular in the mainstream media in America, so it's seen as somewhat unorthodox to many. If you want to know more about it, I would suggest just watching it for yourself and drawing your own conclusions. Netflix does have an anime section, and there are also plenty of free anime streaming sites on the internet. Kissanime, Gogoanime, and Ryuanime, to name a few. Whether you like it or not, it's important to remember that everyone is diverse and have their own tastes. Trash-talking someone for liking something that you don't like is really just immature, and vice-versa. Try and see their side of the story. Keep that in mind for all aspects of life. :)

Of course you can joke about it tho, fuck I jokingly call people 'weebs' all the time but I still watch anime once in awhile.

I really think for me, what it comes down to is animation with more adult themes. They aren't just your average cartoon. There are a lot of mature themes touched on by many animes that have this amazing ability of really transporting you to entirely new worlds. Some animes are dramatic, others are funny, and many of them can even be sad. Many of the animes I tend to watch have their own respective story to tell over the course of each episode, and I think are more relatable to many of the network TV shows than cartoons. The only different is they are animated, and a lot easier to produce because it is easier to animate than it is to use, say, CGI. It has its own style and method of delivering a story that is drastically different than a "cartoon" in my own opinion. While not everyone may like it, it really is an art and a genre of its own that is quite enjoyable - offering a little something for everyone considering just how many animes you could find.

~M

Back