Why are some still trying to god-mod?

Have other people than me tried to do a RP and suddenly there is this person trying to god-mod. Either not getting hit, changing the location, doing one-timer characters to benefit their own character or just deciding how others should react?

I have tried it a lot.

We have all started a place, I admit I did not know what god-moding was, so I ended up doing that until a friend taught me about it and why it is bad.

I've dealt with a lot of people not getting hit, putting in other random characters to make my life hard, and then a lot of the time I deal with people telling me what happens to my character.
It frustrates me beyond end.

What becomes very amusing is watching two people god-mod each other.

In a group rp there was these two people whose characters where fighting.
It went along the lines of:

Person 1: Character one bashes Character two in the head with a hammer causing them to topple over and hit the ground hard.

Person 2: Character two dodges character one's blow and steals the hammer from character one's hand. Character two then slams the hammer into character two's stomach.

Person 1: Character one dodges character two's swing and chokes character one instead.

- That fight got literally no where... it didn't even make any sense...

I think in the end it just does with maturity and experience.

Though one thing I have noticed is when people take what happens to their character too personally, they'll start god-modding.

I've dealt with a lot of people not getting hit, putting in other random characters to make my life hard, and then a lot of the time I deal with people telling me what happens to my character.
It frustrates me beyond end.

What becomes very amusing is watching two people god-mod each other.

In a group rp there was these two people whose characters where fighting.
It went along the lines of:

Person 1: Character one bashes Character two in the head with a hammer causing them to topple over and hit the ground hard.

Person 2: Character two dodges character one's blow and steals the hammer from character one's hand. Character two then slams the hammer into character two's stomach.

Person 1: Character one dodges character two's swing and chokes character one instead.

- That fight got literally no where... it didn't even make any sense...

I think in the end it just does with maturity and experience.

Though one thing I have noticed is when people take what happens to their character too personally, they'll start god-modding.
That sounded like some battle, lol. I have dealt with people taking stuff too personal too.

That sounded like some battle, lol. I have dealt with people taking stuff too personal too.

It was the most 'un-epic' battle of them all.

I hate when people take things personally. They can really ruin the fun of it all. If they weren't prepared for their character to go through hard things then they should not be roleplaying.
Go write a book.

I find that people godmod when they have next to no imagination, and the easiest way to respond is just to say "it didn't happen", rather than coming up with some legitimate, well written price of text about how their character did whatever they did.

The main type of godmodding that really pisses me off is when people give their characters so much power, and the only thing they can't do it eat uranium. I don't mind if they have a bunch of abilities, but they were abilities gained through role playing, but when some newcomer just godmods the hell out of their character merely because they don't want them to die, or create the edgiest bloke who ever lived, that's just annoying.

Oh yes, i had dealed with a LOT who decided how i should play, and as who,
one time, a person accepted a request, and then "you should play as a youtuber",
like... what the actual hell? how i am supposed to play as that? and besides, it's a real-life person, impersonating someone is directly a no, and this trend to play as a youtuber can be toxic.. thanks god, there isn't that stuff in my country..

then the person said, "you should play as a OC who have a crush on me", i refused, on a kind of rude manner, but i had no choices, the person clearly missed what i wrote on my bio, my list of characters (all fictionnal), and insisted each godamn times.

i had other cases like that, and it start to grind my gears.

To quickly jump into this topic, I'd just like to say that I think one thing that RP lacks is collaboration. You have so many players who roleplay together and yet still lack any real means to communicate, which leads to a lot of problems. Everyone has their own vision for how a story or scene unfolds, and I think that persons fear of losing control really feeds into this idea of godmodding. Nobody wants a character to die. They all want that invincible hero, which truly makes no sense to me because having a character who gets hurt or faces some trauma is truly a rewarding experience when building a story. It presents an opportunity.

That is why all of my fights are worked out from start to end before I attempt them. I don't leave anything to chance, and ensure that every scene lives up to the story I am attempting to tell.

~M

To be honest, I think it is just ignorance. I'm sure the god-modder is not purposely trying to make things difficult (otherwise they are just a troll) but I'm guessing they may just be young or unexperinced with acceptable role-playing. Other times, they may just have a Mary-Sue or Gary-Stu character, which in that case I just don't start an RP with them. Most of the time I try to explain calmly and move on with the RP, but depends how extreme the god-moding is.

As several people have mentioned earlier, I think a prominent reason that god-modding is still happening is because they are new to the roleplaying community, or are just new to creative writing as a whole. Everybody wants their character to be one of the badasses they read about it books and see in video games; they want to be like those creators. However, they simply lack the experience or insight to see that yes, while those characters are strong, they all have weaknesses and character flaws as well. It takes time and practice to be able to develop character depth properly, instead of just assuming their OC will be the next Ezio Auditore.

And if they're not new, well, somebody needs to give them a wake-up call.

Godmoders totally ruin the experience for me. But you know what's even worse? TWO GODMODERS.
Seriously. It just turns into a ticking contest.
I hit you with my Lucifer Blade!
Uh, no. My skin is made of Badarssium, and I've jumped into the Pool of Invincibility, so it misses.
But my Lucifer Blade has been dipped in the blood of Nike, so HA!
But Badassium + Pool of Invincibilty = It misses!
NUH-UH!
UH-HUH!

*facepalm*

God modding hurts my eyes T.T but I think like what everyone said, it's probably a lack of experience and dare I suggest an outlet for self-insertation? We all want to be badass time-nature-vampire lords that can collapse universes...but we're not with all the flaws we have. My one issue with godmodders is that their characters disrupt established storylines and they often expect people to 'just go along with it'.

Godmoding is just natural for all the new rpers. Godmoders are new to rp, because they get too attached to their characters and will do everything to prevent anything bad happening to them, as if they are their pet, friend, lover or themselves. It takes from few months to twenty years or so for a godmoder to stop their behavior and become a decent rper. Later they learn it harder it will be for them to find rp partners who are not biased.

Seriously, it's so bad out on the internet right now with this kind of behavior, I avoid practically all situations where players are fighting each other without dice or some authority figure.
It's half of what pushed me away from formless, 100% text based games for the past two years. If you don't know the person or spend a long time planning this out in side-chats you're typically going to deal with this in a group game. You may even see it in random 1x1's where people can just go 'omg wut a dick' and block the person they're writing with and thus never change.

It's natural; people get attached to what they create. Attachment isn't something you can intrinsically train or beat out of people with ease.
It requires a lot of practice and the right personality to get to a point where this is okay to a person. A lot of people haven't gotten that far despite years of experience because they haven't been held accountable for their actions, or haven't been introduced to the idea of being considerate to other writers. Maybe they never had a mentor.

It also doesn't help that people can blur the line between drama and violence, romanticize sociopaths and mental illnesses, and a lot of stories don't have a direction to keep people distracted from drama. With a bunch of people in a room that never met one another before, it's honestly quite unlikely you're going to get along without a reason to do so, merely be polite or impolite.
Mix this with emotional attachment, no perceived consequences, and a lack of self-awareness...

TL;DR: Some people really need a long talking to about the basics of how this writing thing works before they learn to behave like the rest of us and few people want to/can be bother.

Back