How Green Becomes Wood

After not too much time had passed, Daizi came back downstairs bouncing Ivy, who was as cheerful as ever. "Thanks for making breakfast," She said, setting Ivy in her high chair and presenting her with a toy rather than holding her in her lap while she ate.

"Sure," Xander said with a nod. He watched Daizi out of the corner of his eye. He had a lot of questions, but even if he could figure out how to ask them, he wasn't going to. Some things you just didn't ask about.

Later, while the twins were cleaning up from breakfast, Daizi's phone rang. It was Sally, and she sounded much more cheerful than the last time they'd talked.

Daizi might have recognized something just a bit off about Xander that morning, but she hadn't slept at all that night, and was frankly too tired to pick up on anything about it. When she answered the phone she hoisted Ivy with one arm and went to her office, "Hi, Sally, how are you?"

"I am doing absolutely fabulous, darling!" Sally said cheerfully. "As it happens, my darling, ridiculous son was hiding a most wonderful secret that he is finally prepared to share. Are you doing anything on Monday morning? Please say you are not!"

"Oh, I'm so glad it wasn't anything more serious!" Daizi said cheerfully, truly relieved, "I'm completely free on Monday. I don't suppose Monday has anything to do with his secret?"

"It has everything to do with it," Sally chuckled. "I'll text you the details, but if at all possible, can you and your family come to the town square at ten in the morning? You only need to bring yourselves. Wear comfortable but nice clothing and shoes for standing."

"Hmm, it should not be too loud, but you may wish to bring her ear protection, just in case. Beyond that, act as though you are taking her to a restaurant. I think you should be fine outside of that. Oh! Yes, it will be outside. And there will be standing. A sling or a stroller would likely be best."

"Fantastic, thank you. I don't need to tell you how much thought goes into bringing a baby somewhere," Daizi chuckled, "How secret is it? Can I tell the twins we're meeting you, or should I just suggest we all visit the town square? Oh, now that the flowers in my garden are blooming so nicely, we still need to take those pictures we talked about with Jack!"

"Oh, my, yes! The pictures!" Sally gasped. "We definitely need to set something up there. And, yes, you can tell them where you are going and why. It is going to be quite the formal event with a lot of people involved."

"I didn't want them when the flowers were dormant, and then I worried had we waited too long? Had Ivy gotten too old? But then it occurred to me, they're family pictures, and she's going to keep getting older, we specifically decided against an official newborn photoshoot... Anyway, I know we'll forget it if we don't get them taken eventually." Daizi explained, sharing perhaps more information than she actually needed to, "And with all of this mystery, I can hardly tell how I'll manage to wait until Monday. I can't wait to experience what your son has put together!"

"I'll talk to Jack today and discuss schedules, and once I know his schedule, I'll get back to you," Sally promised. "And I am so proud of him! It's so... No, I can say no more or else I will give too much away. I need to go now, and I will let you know his openings so you can decide what time is best for you."

Peter, meanwhile, had texted Sloan, asking her if she could come to the town square as well, and some of his other friends. He didn't tell anyone, but Daizi was the most important person to get to arrive.

"We'll be there!" Daizi chirped and made her goodbyes to Sally before heading back downstairs and finding the twins to relay to them what she had been told.

By then, Dark was waking up for real and he went into the kitchen for water and ibuprofen.

"What on earth could he be up to?" Alec mused. "A secret surprise big enough to invite his friends to the town square?"

"Maybe he's throwing Christmas in May," Xander snickered. He noticed Dark and turned to watch him go. He saw his father in the mirror. What did that mean? Did he dare ask? Xander shook it off. Forget it. There was no way he could ask that without giving away what he'd heard. Maybe, instead, he could somehow encourage him to follow his dreams? Maybe. He wasn't sure he was subtle enough for that.

"I guess we'll find out on Monday," Daizi said, "Isn't that so exciting, habiti? A big surprise!" She kissed Ivy's cheek, "so many people to show off your brand new tooth to, huh? How fun is that!" Ivy babbled back at her mom and squeaked at the sight of her father. After he drank some water so he wasn't as dehydrated, he came back over to them and took his little girl.

"What is happening?" He asked, after sufficiently greeting her.

"Peter has put together some sort of surprise in town square," Daizi answered, "We were told to dress nice, but comfortable."

"I agree with you," Dark replied, bringing Ivy back into the kitchen and, while holding her on his right hip, started trying to prepare breakfast for himself, "People have been asking me that often. I am okay. Daizi and I simply had a late night, that is all, but I do appreciate your concern."

Alec narrowed his eyes at Dark, doubting his words, but he let it go and allowed Dark his secrets.

"I've got it," Xander told Dark firmly. "You make breakfast like three hundred days out of the year. I can do it a couple of times. Go have fun with the Mini."

Dark caught that look and knew he was being questioned but, frankly, there was no part of him that wanted to admit to the breakdown he had experienced the night before. "If you are sure," He told Xander, and then, after a moment, went to the living room, "Thank you.'

"Welcome," Xander said simply. He put together a simple but filling breakfast for Dark and then took care of the clean up. Alec sat and talked with Daizi about mythological creatures he'd been learning about. Xander eventually joined Dark and brought up a discussion of patterns on wood versus patterns on leather and whether or not they could be interchangeable.

The rest of the weekend passed by quietly enough, and while Xander did keep an eye on Dark and Daizi - especially Dark - he tried not to draw attention to it. Alec knew something was up, but not exactly what, so he took it upon himself to keep up their spirits with his cheery mood. He even helped Daizi weed the garden.

Finally, Monday rolled around, and it was time to finally discover Peter's secret. Alec dressed using yellow and dark green as his color pallet, feeling like a cheery spring flower. Xander was in black and dark grey with a silver belt. Alec had suggested the belt. They helped make sure Ivy was packed with everything she might need and piled into the car.

A lot of people had already gathered at the square with more people coming by the time they arrived. Several were recognizable from school, the museum, and local businesses. A simple stage had been erected, and a covered item that looked a lot like some kind of vehicle stood next to it. Peter and his family lingered near the stage where Mr. and Mrs. Hollis talked to the mayor and the chief of police. A rope strung around the perimeter kept people at bay.

"Wow, It's packed!" Alec said in amazement, staying at Daizi's elbow with Xander right next to him.

"Dr. Bill - I mean, Pryce is over there, I think," Xander said squinting. "At least, looks like him."

Back