The Bonds That Tie Us

@AJPhips

Isaac wanted to argue more, but he was exhausted. He had been using his powers all day, and he hadn't slept in nearly twenty-four hours. Twenty-four emotional, draining hours that he had barely had time to process. Ara clearly wasn't budging anytime soon, and at this point, Isaac suspected pushing her would only cause her to dig her heels in deeper. Maybe it was better to give her some time alone with her thoughts, let his words sink in, and revisit the topic in the morning when she had given it some thought, realized the truth in what he'd said. Ara didn't want to be alone, Isaac could tell. And maybe it was only his wish for stable family coming through, but he truly believed her sister didn't want that, either.

"Wake me at dawn," he sighed, using his arms to push himself away from Ara once more. "We'll need to get on the move early." He would take her partway to Braedon, as far as he could justify without putting himself in danger. It was a day's walk in the wrong direction, but Isaac felt the need to do something good before he left Lorr. Especially after he hadn't been able to save his father. His world had fallen to hell, but he would not let himself fall with it. With that thought ringing resolute in his mind, Isaac leaned his back against one of the trees lining their hiding place and closed his eyes. Sleep claimed him quickly and he was gone.

@Scalerender

She watched him with a steady, unwavering gaze while she held her breath with his every move. She couldn't see exactly what was on the page that he retrieved from his desk and for all she knew it could be some form of an arrest warrant. Valerie prepared herself, trying to steady her breathing and focus her energy into controlling her magic should the need for it arise. It might be the only advantage she had over being outnumbered and smaller than most of the guards here. The man seemed oddly calm though, a fact she didn't want to let fool her since he most likely ordered daily forced removals of hopeful applicants trying to cross into Braedon.

He spoke though, his words giving her a chilling calm that brought a vague, familiar prickle to her senses as she allowed her magic to ebb away.

Valerie nodded her head at his indication of what the document implied for her and her plea, the female taking a step forward to read the papyrus a little closer to make sure she wasn't being duped and conned. Many people may have been non-the-wiser when it came to the trickery of government officials, but as an ex-prospective councilor for her region (owing to her magic abilities and noble birth) she had been tutored in negotiations and documentation.

Atylis had always made special emphasis on reading the fine print, lest you miss out on a term or condition that was not to your liking. She couldn't help but smile at a fond memory of him using the example of handing over of a first born child as many elven myths spoke of when stories of the elven folk were whispered among camp fires. It was an archaic practice that had been long done away with, but rumors of it still spread between those who did not live with her kind.

At the mention of a steep price for the documentation, she felt her smile fade and her heart sink vaguely. She barely had any gold left after the purchase of her horse and knew that it meant parting with one of her belongings in order to cross. Val looked up to the clerk, seeing a small bit of kindness seeping into his previously emotionless features. This seemed a rare opportunity of fortune, the man taking pity on her when he had the right to arrest her, reject her entry or even ban her....maybe even a mixture of the three. Valerie understood that she shouldn't be taking this for granted and that more than likely this was as much grace as she would be given.

The female sighed slowly but gently, moving the strap of the satchel around her arm so that she could reach the opening of the bag. She shuffled through the contents for a brief moment, eventually pulling out a medium-sized elven coin. The silver it was made of shone almost white, the glimmerings of light turning into a mother-of-pearl sheen across the surface. Most elven regions were founded over mines of curious and unheard-of metals, stones and gems, the coins coated in one of the metals common in the region but rare outside of it. She had no idea what it's worth would be here, but did not wish to give away anything of true sentimental value that she carried.

She placed the coin down on the desk gently, the etched images of runes in the center of the coin surrounded on the perimeter of the coin by twisting vines facing up at him. "Will this be enough?" She asked the clerk softly, her eyes looking hopefully to him for his reaction.

She had heard stories of elven people being seen as beings of mystery and the unknown, but people reacted differently towards things they did not know about. She had been prepared for vulgarity and cruelty to be shown towards her, but figured that the clerk and border guards must have dealt with her kind before and thus were used to it. That wasn't exactly a trend she expected find inside Braedon however.

Last edited:
@MJK2431

The clerk looked at her curiously with a raised eyebrow when she offered the single coin, he sighed and reached out to take it between his index and thumb. He brought it closer, adjusting his spectacles as he appraised the worth of the foreign currency. Human currency was named after "Gold" or "Silver" but the actual coin was usually made of some alloy that only had trace amounts of the actual metal in it. As the human studied the coin his eyebrow raised and he scratched the edge of the ornate coin with some interest, he glanced up at Val over the edge of his spectacles before lifting his chin and sighing once again, revealing as little as possible of his thoughts.

[Clerk]"It will suffice, but I strongly recommend you find a way to pay your taxation with local currency, not all officials will be a merciful as I am..." The clerk pocketed the coin, the two guards on his side raising an eyebrow or frowning, they glanced at one other after seeing the unusual transaction, one of them shrugged. It was unclear if it was out of mercy, sympathy or greed that the Clerk accepted her offering, his stoic expression suggested none. With practised scribbling and writing the man filled in the document and placed seal on it. He rolled it up and then offered it to Val. "Keep this on you at all times and present it when required, It is also my duty to inform you that as a foreigner you will not be able to claim ignorance on local Law, be certain to inform yourself in the town hall.... That will be all..." The man nodded at one guard who loudly yelled "NEXT!!!!", the other one waving Val along so she could enter the Courtyard of the large gatehouse.

The area immediately beyond the outer walls was a large clearing mainly used by people who had little business inside the actual city but needed the protection of its walls such as trade caravans waiting for pick ups from local traders, travelling troupes of performers or gypsy families and the likes. Small markets had naturally come into existence there and as such it was bustling with activity and large numbers of people on their way to one of the three main gates into the city perimeter. There were plenty of sights to be had as the more colourful travellers of the realm gathered in this area , some never even going further then this point.

As Val moved along with the stream of travellers towards one of the main gates she would notice a slight change in uniforms of some of the "guards " there. These guards were dressed in more finely crafted blue uniforms and armed with better looking equipment, one of their number was an obvious practitioner of Magic as he stood there holding a faintly glowing orb that expelled a strange sort of magical "vapour" which swirled around the sphere continuously. It obviously required some form of concentration as the man holding it was with his eyes closed and mumbling some form of mantra.

The majority of travellers ignored the different group of guards and people just moved through the gates as if there was nothing odd about the sight. When Val passed the threshold she felt something however, a feint little itch, tingle or whatever sensation she tended to attribute to the feeling of summoning Magic. If she looked around after feeling this she would notice that the magical mist that was swirling around the orb previously had travelled over the crowd and was currently circling above her. Three Mage hunters had dispatched from the group and were following the slow moving mist to its intended target, the young Elven woman. One of the mage hunters, a stocky build fellow with bald head, golden loop through one earlobe and a mean looking scar across his cheek pointed out to her and spoke in a commanding voice.

[Mage Hunter1] "You there! Halt!...Present your permit and registration at once!..."

As if she suddenly was outed to be a bearer of some infamous plague the people around her moved away from her quickly, leaving her alone and unprotected by the herd of bodies that had carried her into the city moments before. The Mage Hunter and two of his companions closed in, each holding at least one hand on a weapon, a bit further two riders wearing similar uniforms were slowly advancing on their position but seemingly not in any haste to do so, or not at all involved in this matter. The magical mist that betrayed her started drifting back to the Mage at the gates who refocused his ritual to find more mages among the travellers entering the city.

Last edited:
@inkdragon

Ara felt a rush of relief and satisfaction as Isaac seemingly dropped the issue. She had won. Arguments with her sister had often lead to screaming matches that would continue until their Mother would intervene. But Isaac had given in and hopefully they would travel together like panned, leaving the argument forgotten.

As she heard the boy's breath even out with sleep, Ara began to feel the darkness close in. She was alone in the darkness. Her heart quickened as the shadows from the crystal's glow seemed to morph into threatening creatures and the wind began to howl. Her head darted to and fro, hearing things all around. Magic stirred inside her, attempting to make her fear known but once again it was unable to escape.
"Keep calm Ara." She whispered to herself, trying instead to focus on the crystals conforming glow, "Not real, you're safe, you're okay."
They were words she had told herself dozens of times before, only this time she had more to see her through the night. As her eyes watched the slightly pulsating crystal, she focused on the steady sound of Isaac's breathing and attempted to out all else. Ara felt the fear begin recede, grounding her enough to clear her head. She was an adult and she would make it through to morning.

@Scalerender

Valerie was suddenly free, the stress of needing to get through to the other side of that wall finally subsiding. She felt grateful to have made it through, thanking Atylis in whatever dimension he now resided in for all the lessons he had given her....even those she had seemed so disinterested in. She found that the dialect that this region spoke felt strange in her mouth, but speaking to the clerk had been easy and almost instinctual because of the many grueling hours of practice with some of the linguists from her community. She took the documentation given to her, stowing it away safely within her satchel.

The grin on her features was subtle but unmistakable as she retrieved her belongings from the steed she had used to travel before setting it free, hoping that it would find somewhere far from here where it could continue it's existence without too much toil. It felt almost surreal as the guards ushered her through the gates and into the courtyard, the giddy excitement building within her as if she was a child once more. The noise was almost comforting, the mixture of smells and sounds reminding her of the market days at the end of the month when she would purchase new leather, apples as green as emeralds or books of her liking. This place was different to the hustle and bustle of her home however. The people seemed more course and weary, the leathery skin but shabby clothes telling her that they had worked hard to barely scrape by. Some still let out a merry laugh though, the gypsies tamborines and cow-skin drums going as quickly as her heart and giving her a feeling of surviving hope among the crowd that would bare down and survive just about anything.

This was a place for her to blend in and hide, the girl feeling at ease at the thought that she would be able to gather her strength and perhaps some allies while here. She would need to return to the elven kingdoms eventually to take back power from the rebel forces, but she would need help. This place seemed to be filled with opportunities that she could grab a hold of with both hands.

Her wistful daydreaming as she was being carried along by the crowd was suddenly broken at the sharp bark from a nearby guard. The sudden absence of a protective throng of people was immediately noticeable, Val feeling like a weed among a flower patch that needed to be culled without a second thought at the sudden avoidance of her the people around the elven girl were displaying. She followed their eyes, looking up to see the mist that floated above her head. Then there were running feet and all too quickly she felt blinded by the surroundings of armor that glinted in the light and blue-hued uniforms.

She was a rabbit caught in a hole, with the foxes sniffling down the only exit. Valerie was trapped and the feeling made her feel frantic. The girl turned sharply, looking for any way out away from these tremendous men. Her sharp movements caused her cloak hood to shift, falling down and exposing her unique characteristics that marked her as a foreigner. Papers....the papers! She remembered, briskly trying to open the satchel to retrieve the documentation that would assist her. The girl's voice quivered vaguely at first, but she soon swallowed her words and spoke with a sense of bravado that barely shook under her nerves.

"I...I...I have them here! They're in my bag!"

One of the Mage Hunters immediately noticed her foreign features. The short slender man with wiry frame, black messy hair an buck teeth that gave him a more ratty appearance pointed at her and exclaimed.

[MH2] "She's a Larkin elf! Don't let er speak her own tongue, that'll be a Hex Fer sure!!!"

The third Mage hunter and largest of the three of them was also the youngest. He was the type of lad that was grown tall on a farm, strong, resilient but uncultured, impressionable and not to bright as far as the stereotype went. He somehow had landed a spot with the Mage Hunters, the local chapter had swollen its ranks with less capable member which gave them more sway in the city when it came to sheer numbers.
The "lad" looked more alarmed then the leader of the trio did and drew his blade halfway out of its sheathe.

[MH2, holding out a hand to MH3 to stop him from fully drawing his blade. Eyes set on the pretty elven girl in a more predatorial way.] "Wait... Let's see what the lass has on her eh? Maybe tis all a little misunderstandin... Maybe she did nae know that all Mages need to present their documents when crossing a district checkpoint eh?" His words were heavy with a patronizing tone, something about the way his gaze slithered up and down Val was entirely unpleasant.

The man took her document and unrolled her, eyes looking for the proper seals and markings that would identify her as a registered Magic user. when he didn't find any he snorted and looked at her, waving the parchment in the air.

[MH1] "THIS... Is a admission form... You daft girl? Them pointy ears not helpin yer earin then?! Mage permit... I-need-your-mage-permit..."

[MH2, sniggering] "I don't think she has one Mace, early to catch a spell slinging scum innit, didn't even use a stinker...."

(tag @Maeriel @MJK2431)

Last edited:
@Scalerender

The girl was frightened, her green irises almost gone with how far her pupils were dilated as the mage hunters closed in on her like a pack of wolves chasing a wounded, absent-minded deer. She gave the ratty-looking man a quizzical look as he proclaimed her gift to lay a curse on them, rolling her eyes and saying in a barely accented voice "I will do no such thing, I'm not looking for trouble, although you gentlemen appear to be dragging me into it."

She turned,trying to take all the men;s strengths and weaknesses into account in case a fight ensued. Her eyes paused on the 'lad' though, something odd about his features striking her. He seemed to young to be carrying a weapon so sharp and the glint of unknowing innocence in his eyes made her calm herself down as her magic surged through her and demanded a release. She felt her fear rise and her throat tighten as the one hunter suggested a searching of her belongings, the girl handing over the documentation willingly.

"This...this is a checkpoint? I've never been here before, I was on my way to the hall to find out all the rules and regulations because I only just arrived..." She tried to say quickly, knowing that she was unnumbered. Even if she did use her magic, she didn't want to hurt any innocent people....especially after what she had experienced with the culling and murder of nobles in her own region. An echo of the screams from that night threatened to consume her mind but she shoved them down before they could take over.

She growled under her breathing, feeling like an infant being lectured on right from wrong on a very simple issue by men who seemed uninterested in hearing what she had to say. Valerie placed her hands on her hips, trying to seem confident and authorative as she explained further. "The clerk wasn't clear. I have elemental manipulation, if that counts as 'magic'"-she said the word with a certain irritation, knowing that her efforts might all be for nought- "then I have made an error. If you could simply tell me where or how I can clear this up, I'll be on my way and won't be bothering any of you anymore." Her knees still shook, the girl locking them back to try and quell the motion as her fear remained.

Elise had stepped out of The Black Flagon to nearly run into Connor. The man was still in the same clothes from the night she had slapped him. His face was drawn by mood and lack of sleep. It was strange not to see him flash a cocky half-grin at her from under that wide brim hat of his. Instead he looked down, a mantle on shame and guilt weighing his shoulders which struck Lis for a moment. He had failed her. He knew it. There were no words for him to make it any better. Judging by the rougher beard and the layers of mud and grime on his boots, he must have walked all the city. Connor looked up, his thin lips parted as he searched for something to say. "Vi...-"

"Save it, Connor. I'm heading out of town to find her." Elise interrupted harshly, accusing honey colored eyes moving away from the burrowing gaze on the man and looking to the street she was to follow through.

"Give me a few minutes and I'll come with you-" Connor added quickly, disregarding his exhaustion and jumping at the opportunity to try and make up for leaving his post.

"No. You've done enough." Again Elise ruthlessly interrupted the man in a callous response. A part of her felt terrible for being cruel, but most of her just took solace in having someone other than herself to blame for Ara's disappearance. The man grew quiet. In a fit of anger, Elise grabbed his precious hat from his head and put it on her head, lowering the brim so only her full red lips were visible to passer-by's, a final jab at her former lover. "I'll be taking this to go through the gates."

Connor had stopped himself from reacting to the sudden gesture, his dirty brown hair tied back from his flint-colored eyes, two creases deep between his eyebrows as he watched the woman saunter away like a force of nature, unable to stop her from her fool-hardy quest.

d46c28cb3209dcaf9027d4f6ed17942a.jpg

____________________________________​

Elise hated having to go through the gates. It was always a rather tense moment as at any given time, someone might recognize her from her Wanted! posters, a Mage Hunter might be good enough to recognize the fraudulent documentation she carried, she might bump onto an old mark... maybe even her father. So Lis was tightly wound. It didn't stop her from deftly picking the heavy purse of a newly arrived merchant to help her pay for the horse rental at the courtyard before the gates, though. She was leading the pinto mare, white and brown with blue eyes that she was sure would make Ara squeal in delight, preparing herself for the repulsive Mage Hunters to 'smoke her out' with their vile orb, when she caught wind of the crowd making way... not for her.

The oddest sight greeted her honey-colored eyes as she approached discreetly from behind the small gathering of curious eyes. Most people fled the scene quite quickly at the spotting of a mage, but some had lingered at the odd sight of an Elven young woman. She didn't look much older than Ara, but she was a striking sight. Gleaming golden hair and beautiful features that caused Elise to arch her eyebrows. Elves were uncommon these days and Elise had only glimpsed one male by afar. This one seemed lost in the human city. Won't last a day in Braedon... The girl looked so very helpless as the most incompetent looking trio of Mage Hunters hounded her like hungry wolves. It was none of her business. An elf apostate was hardly something she should meddle in. Lis was a rogue mage, a hunted one at that, and she was after her sister.

As she started trying to make way, seeing the girl trying to reason with the vile Hunters, a stray thought crossed her mind. Maybe she's someone's little sister. It made her stop. Oh why, Elise? It was like cold water poured down her spine and she swallowed hard, thinking of all the terrible things her sister seemed to have suffered, that would no doubt be inflicted in that Elven maiden. Lis hadn't been strong enough to stop the Mage Hunters then. She had cowardly executed one last night and it made her feel soiled. Maybe she could stop this, one harmless con. A chance for the girl to slip away from the fate her sister had to endure because of Elise's incompetence in being a big sister. You're gonna regret this...

The small voice in her head didn't win, though. Lowering the brim of the hat a little again to obscure her features and opening a button of her cleavage to provide enough distraction, Elise swaggered closer to the hounding dogs that passed for authority with the Mage Hunters these days and raised a hand in greeting. "Ah! Ariel! You are more beautiful than I was told. Ambassador Palavel will be most pleased with your arrival. He is awaiting you anxiously to meet with Inquisitor Damien Pratt. You are almost a full day late!" Elise dropped the name of the one Inquisitor in the Mage Tower she had learned about, looking at the Elven girl she raised the brim of Connor's way-too-big hat enough to wink at her, hoping it was a recognizable gesture among her people. "Gentlemen, I am Viola Hayes, attaché and bodyguard to the liaison for Elven Affairs, Lord Trell. This is a misunderstanding, the girl is to be given a mark in the presence of her Ambassador, she couldn't well present it to you when she has only just arrived, now could she? Check my mark, I have a soldier's permit, as per my Lord's command."

Elise presented her marked fist for inspection without a trace of worry. She had discover her ability to 'bullshit' her way fairly early after finding herself in the streets, without home or coin. Words just rolled off the tongue and she acted with enough confidence and charm to convince most of its veracity. Stepping between the three who surrounded the girl had shown her they weren't the choicest pick of the Mage Hunters, probably too dense to understand half the words she used, and impressionable enough with the names of powerful men, even though she had no clue whether Braedon even had an Elven Ambassador. This should work...

@MJK2431 @Scalerender

The three Mage Hunters were only spurred forward by Valerie's excuses. They looked at one other and grinned cruelly at their luck, the bounty for bringing in an unregistered Mage would be a nice addition to their stipend, alhough the interests of at least one of them seemed to be more then simply financial gain. The bald "leader" stepped forward, rolling up her parchment and patting it on his open hand as if it were a club he readied to hit her over the head with.

[MH1, empowered by his petty sense of superiority] "Oh I'll show you where you can clear this up you little knife eared witch... Sneaking into the city without a permit is in direct violation of the Bi-Wha?"

The three men were dumbstruck by the glib tongued woman walking in on their little preying and for a moment it seemed they were ready to resort to violence were it not for the name dropping in Elise's expertly delivered string of words. The scrawny man and the lad seemed immediately intimidated by the mentioning of city officials and an inquisitor of all things.

Their leader was less intimidated but no less fooled by her explanation and as much as it vexed him he couldn't just blatantly ignore this, if it were true he'd be in more trouble then the elven girl was worth. With a curse muttered under his breath he took a good look at the permit. As limited their training had been no Mage Hunter would receive their rank without at least knowing how to recognise the magically applied symbols that marked "legal" Mage. He rubbed his chin looking at the sygil on the back of the woman's hand... Completely missing the sound of hooves approaching and coming to a halt.

[MH2] "Erh.. Mace?"

[MH1, angered at his inability to find any excuse to get his hands on the elven girl] "What?!..."

=========================================

Stavros was getting weary with the investigation despite its promising inception. The lack of clues and leads had been as surprising as they had been frustrating considering the carelessness of the attack on the Sentinel. Both the northern gatehouse and harbour had not yielded anything and his hopes for the southern gatehouse was sinking despite it being the largest one in the city. Usually his hunches panned out more, but he was not infallible despite his years of experience, something Stavros has come to accept more and more the older he got. Everyone had flaws, everyone made mistakes and nothing is absolute. A lesson he felt his young companion needed desperately. Stavros glanced at the young man riding next to him and wondered if the path he was leading him on was truly the best... A line of thought that had sadly plagued him quite often recently.

Illian was on the hunt, the killer had been ruthless and cruel in her treatment of the Sentinel and he would offer her no quarter if she revealed herself. The young man was desperately looking for a scent, a trace of familiar magic that lined up with what he felt in the victim's home. He wasn't quite sure if he'd be able to track a Mage like that as he was discovering more of his abilities every day. Sadly he needed to be in the vicinity of a magic user in order to discover more. If only he had access to- Illian's thoughts were disrupted when he saw the scattering of people... A Mage had been spotted, trying to find his or her way into the city. He turned to Stavros and pointed.

[Illian] "Stavros, over there!" Illian did not wait for his companion to initiate and gave a little heel in the side of his Mount, making his approach a little quicker.

Stavros looked a bit surprised when Illian suddenly called his attention to something. He sighed, another Mage unable to present a permit no doubt, he wondered what kind of desperation or situation a Mage had to be in to even attempt such a foolish thing, and to be caught by such a simple trick was even more perplexing. Stavros felt alarm when he saw Illian moving ahead.

[Stavros] "Illian wait!"

Stavros moved after the youth ready to reprimand him, when he caught up with his charge Stavros instead fell silent and noticed the peculiarity of an elf standing accused by three... men in Mage Hunter uniforms... Elven Mage were not something seen in Lorr at all. Intrigued and alarmed Stavros changed his approach.

[Stavros speaking to Illian who nodded in return and complied] "Be ready, but wait for my sign and let me do the talking...."

As they approached the woman's saviour intervened and bits of the proclamations reached their ears. Illian's senses were probing g outward trying to catch the sign of fractured reality and dissonance he attributed to magic. He sensed the sphere and its wielder at the gate and tried to shut it out, he was searching for something else to latch on to.

Stavros frowned a bit hearing the words of the woman and cleared his throat once he commanded his steed to stop. One of the Mage Hunters noticed him and recognised the markings of a Lord Inquisitor and visibly paled, he called the attention of his colleague.. "Mace". Stavros waited to be acknowledged, Mace turned ready to shout but immediately sank into his boots and saluted to Stavros once noticing the seal on his shoulder. Stavros nodded and spoke, sitting straight into his saddle and regarding the two women with some interest.

[Stavros] "Problem brothers?"

The Lord Inquisitor allowed the three men to give some stammering explanations, internally he cringed at the level of composure these men had and he quickly measured their worth as beneath the standard of a Mage Hunter. He raised his hand to silence then and instead turned his attention back to the women. He was quite certain the elven Maiden was caught in a situation out of her control, but the other one couldn't even look up at him... using the wide brimmed hat to hide her features, it got him suspicious.

[Stavros] "Inquisitor Pratt is not a man to be kept waiting, a good man... but he has a thing for punctuality. You are dismissed, I'll escorts the ladies to the Tower myself..

The man spoke with a regality and command he gained by birth and earned through years of experience. It was obvious he belonged to a different stock of Mage Hunters not only by his bearing but his equipment as well. His steed had expensive barding and carried a multitude of different weapons and tools. His personal armor was of fine quality and his uniform showed signs of wear and tear. The embellished longsword suggested nobility which the rings on his fingers confirmed. The badge of Lord Inquisitor on his left shoulder was displayed proudly next to the sigil of the Knight order he belonged to.

Illian was somewhat surprised by Stavros's actions but did everything to keep his focus, allowing his senses to stretch outward and feel the space around him. He felt the slight tugging behind the veil of reality as Magic was already drawn towards one of the two women. Part of him begged for her to try something so he could tear the Magic away from her and banish it back to where it belonged. The young man had a hard expression on his face and his green eyes were locked with the elven woman. Where as Stavros seemed helpful and indifferent at worst something about Illian felt instinctively hostile and wary at best.

@Maeriel @MJK2431

Last edited:
Isaac woke to the feeling of grass on his skin and cool wind ruffling his hair, and for a single moment, he didn't remember the way his life had fallen apart around him. Then he shifted and the crick in his neck, the sore muscles in his legs and the ache in his chest all returned. Well, he thought, grunting as he opened his eyes and sat up to look around the still-dark camp wearily, it had been nice while it lasted. There was no time to waste with idle wishes, not anymore, not for him.

"Morning," he muttered to Ara, fumbling for his bag to grab something to eat. Isaac was used to rising before the sun, but the couple hours' rest he had managed to get hadn't been nearly as refreshing as he had hoped hey would be. Once they got moving, he knew, he would wake up some. "Your watch was clear?" He pulled out a long strip of jerky and tore off a piece, offering it to Ara. She might have eaten before waking him, but he didn't know.

Isaac ate quickly, eager to get back on the road even though he dreaded it at the same time. Once they started, he knew, they would stop for nothing more than short rests until it was time to set camp again. If they made the time they had managed yesterday, they would reach the city by nightfall. Isaac tried to ignore the way the thought made the jerky taste foul in his mouth and sit heavy in his stomach.

"Let's go, then," he announced when they had packed up. He used the tree to brace himself as he slowly pulled his weight up with the power and took a couple testing steps. Not too bad. The muscles were sore from overuse, but the magic was as plentiful as ever, and its cool energy soothed the ache. Without waiting for Ara, he stubbornly set off south, towards the city.

@AJPhips

Ara's eyes were just beginning to shut when she was startled awake by a sleepy greeting.
It took her a moment to realise where she was, and remember the argument they had had last night.
"Morning. The night was fine." She replied cautiously, unsure of how he'd act towards her now.
She accepted the food he offered, eating and swallowing it quickly. He could still be mad and he certainly seemed resigned and unwilling to engage. She followed his lead, saying little in return. Putting her crystal away and slinging her bag of her shoulder she stepped out of their hiding place. Her feet felt strange wrapped in cloth but she figured it would be better than bare feet. When she looked up from her wiggling toes, Isaac was already on the move. Ara couldn't help but hesitate. She could have sworn they came from that direction but overnight she must have gotten turned around. It wasn't as if she had much practice in navigation so she followed Isaac quietly, not wanted to push his seemingly strained mood. Her body was stiff and sore from yesterday's trek but she could deal with a little pain.

It took a solid hour of Ara seeing things that seemed vaguely familiar before she began to catch up. At first she assumed it was just because trees and bushes seemed to look the same after while, but as flat land came into view in the distance, Ara knew what was going on and she stopped in her tracks.
"You're taking me back." She growled.

Isaac had been surprised to have made it that far without Ara noticing, so he had more than enough time to prepare for the fight when it came. When Ara came up spitting fire, he met it with a level gaze of cool ice. "We're going to give your sister a chance," he said firmly. "I don't believe she hates you as much as you think she does. I won't let you turn your back on something good."

Without waiting for a response, Isaac turned and kept walking, even faster this time, though it made his legs ache at the strain. "You can come or not, but I thought you wanted to stick with me." He was perfectly aware he was being an ass, but he didn't much care. It was for a good thing at the end of the day, or so he hoped. If he was truly taking Ara back to a sister cut from the same cloth as Carson was... well, he wouldn't think about that. His gut told him Ara had run because she was scared and felt guilty, not because her sister wanted her gone. And his gut hadn't been wrong before when it came to who he could trust.

Ara growled in frustration, refusing to move her feet though Isaac continued
"Stop trying to change my mind!" She shouted over to him.
How could he do this? She was sick of people trying to control her. Why did no one trust her to be adult enough and make her own decisions? She had promised to stay with him and he was using it to his advantage. She had promised to keep him safe... and yet he was wandering closer to danger.
Panic began to fill her as she realised he was wasting the little time he had to escape the Mage Hunters.
The stupid, stubborn, reckless, idiotic boy.
"Isaac, you can't!!" She yelled over to him, suddenly terrified that Mage Hunters could be seconds away.
He didn't seem to be listening so with an angry huff, her thin legs carried her over to him.
She reached for his shoulder, her heart pounding and breath fast.
"Please, Isaac. Stop! It's not safe!"
Her eyes pleaded with him, argument forgotten.

Even though he knew Ara wouldn't hurt him, Isaac flinched at the touch. He was used to arguments with Carson ending with him on the floor, it was hard not to expect a blow as he stood his ground. "I'm not an idiot, I know that," he hissed, keeping his voice low. "But the rest of my damn life is gonna be dangerous. I can't change that. I can go with you nearly as far as the gates. I'll wait a day before leaving again. More than enough time for you to find your sister and come back to meet up with me again if need be." Though he expected Ara's return would be met with nothing less than utter joy, he wanted to make sure she still had an out should she need it. It would be a risk to hang around, but as he had told Ara, his whole life was a risk, now. He wasn't about to become a different person because of it.

The genuine concern in Ara's eyes cut like a knife in his stomach, but he wouldn't allow t to get to him. Isaac would never be able to forgive himself if he tore an already broken family apart for good. He pulled his shoulder from her grasp and hid the flinch that came along with the motion. Ara was not Carson. She would not hit him for arguing. He just had to keep reminding himself of it. "Keep your voice down. You'll draw attention to our position."

Ara was completely lost as Isaac pulled away. It hurt, everything hurt and she was scared and she was confused. She couldn't afford to argue and risk drawing attention to them but she had such a terrible feeling about returning. She knew it would end in disaster. She just knew Isaac had to leave now if he wanted to be safe. Ara felt helpless and she couldn't stop her legs from shaking beneath her nor her heart hammering so hard she could barely breath. Not a panic attack, not now.
"Isaac.." She whispered in desperation "Please."
Her magic was boiling to a painful level. She could feel it fight against its barriers and her head hammered with the effort of it all.
It was too late. Somehow she could tell, they were coming, now. Her head killed and her chest felt like it was burning, forcing her to her knees. With so much going on inside her she struggled to remember how to talk. She needed to warn him but she couldn't seem to access the world around her. Surrounded by panic and dread, and the fierce battle inside her.
She gasped for air, feeling like she was drowning.
"They're.. coming.." She managed through her thick throat, though she wasn't even aware of where Isaac was at this point.

Last edited:
"Ara?" Isaac stopped as he heard the desperation in her voice. She didn't seem entirely lucid, her eyes glassed over like she was staring straight at him without seeing a thing. "Ara! Come on, let's- let's sit you down, alright? That's it." He glanced over his shoulder as he eased her into a sitting position, though she didn't seem to notice. No one was there. Yet.

Something was wrong, that much was clear, and more than a simple panic attack. The air itself around them seemed to shimmer and shift with a dangerous energy beyond his control. Isaac took a deep breath, trying to let it pass harmlessly through his body. The trees that bent in a storm were not the ones that broke. "Ara. Ara, breathe. Focus on my voice, can you do that?" The energy was growing now, a cold wind inside his chest despite the sun rising above them in a cloudless sky. He couldn't put a finger on what it was, but...

"They're coming."

But it seemed Ara could. As she spoke, Isaac knew, with an absolute certainty, she was right. The world stilled for a second with a crystalline moment of panic, and then all at once, like a spooked horse, jerked back into motion.

"Alright. Come on. We have to find somewhere to hide." Isaac hauled Ara to her feet, but in his haste, his hold on the magic slipped and his lame legs sent them both crashing to the ground. Grunting in effort, Isaac pushed himself up again, refocused his energy, and stood, pulling her arm. "Ara, I need you with me, now. I can't carry you, do you understand?" They were only around a hundred meters from the safety of the woods, where they could surely find somewhere to hide.

From the distance, Isaac heard hoofbeats.

(for our readers :) )

MJK2431, 08/08/2017

The Elven girl could see the malice and ill-intent glinting in the bald man’s eyes, recognizing the look on some of the enemy troops Atylis had cut down to help her escape before they reached the entrance of the tunnel. She felt that same fear now, knowing what these men could be capable of. The leader of the group certainly seemed to have some cruel game in mind, one that involved him as the cat and her as the mouse cornered by him.

Then, the girl sauntered into their presence. Valerie couldn’t help but looked surprised, since this woman had bothered to put herself at risk to intervene when all those surrounding them earlier had not had the gall to do such a thing. She stood there gape-mouthed for a second before seeing the wink of the woman’s honey-hues and felt some sort of trickery in play. She knew in order to survive and escape the bald-man’s greedy clutches she would need to fit into the woman’s words she was spinning,

Val straightened her poise, gritting her teeth together firmly so that she appeared more certain and relieved of the female’s arrival.
“Well…um….yes. Yes indeed! Lord Trell is expecting me. I was informed that I would be met by some sort of accompaniment who would guide me to the Elven embassy.”

She dared not say more, not wanting to embellish her lie so much that the falseness of it started to appear. She was still in a state of shock from the woman’s aid and knew that in her current condition with all this unfamiliarity a slip of the tongue would end poorly for her.
The sound of horse hooves clomping against the cobblestone road rose to her ears, the elf turning towards the well-bred beasts approaching them with their menacing riders astride them. She cussed in elvish under her breath, knowing what trouble looked like when it was coming towards her. These three men, although brash and uncouth, were manageable according to how easily they had seduced to the hatted woman’s charm. However, Val could tell merely by the way the elder of the two approaching them sat upon his steed that he was someone who was practiced in this and in a position of importance among the mage hunters. The reaction of the men around her when they too spotted him confirmed her suspicions.

She gulped quietly, suddenly feeling her mind itch and prickle as if she was being probed and tested. She had experienced something similar when one of the older, rare elementals had been training her. Someone was trying to test her out and she didn’t like the intrusion. The female closed her eyes for a moment, trying to build up a wall around her thoughts by mentally picturing one. If someone were to delve deep enough, that might come to know what and who she was among the Elven people and that information might be passed on to the rebel force.

Maintaining the wall took concentration though, concentration that was limited as she watched the interaction between the soldiers, riders and Viola while she felt fear sitting like a drunken, fat man on her chest. Some holes appeared in the wall whenever she faltered, the female trying to patch them up as quickly as she could while still seeming calm and subdued to the riders. She flicked her gaze between the two, the younger one causing her to gaze longer than she should. He looked…different to the others, familiar almost in a way she couldn’t quite understand. He looked almost….almost like her. But yet, didn’t. She realized she was faltering more, the female looking back to the older knight.

He spoke with authority and firmness, his words coming across friendly although commanding. The words may have implied that it was a kind gesture that he accompany them to the Inquisitor, but the tone made her feel as if it was more of an instruction she dare not disobey.

What now? What happens when we reach this ‘Inquisitors’ location and it becomes apparent that we have no such arrangement with him?! Valerie forced herself to breath, calming her mind and rebuilding her wall after it just about crumbled down with her sudden panic. Get out of one situation first Val, get rid of the extra three men and away from the watching crowds so that you can slip away.
“Thank you sir, that would be most kind.” She said simply, unable to help herself as her eyes looked to the younger male once more to gaze at his features curiously.

Maeriel, 08/08/2017

Easy, girl. Thought Elise as the Elven young woman started piling up on her string of lies. She seemed very nervous, but it wouldn't seem out of place for a stranger to these lands going through such an experience, so the lie was intact. Of course... but of course the moment Elise gets out of her way to help someone, a Lord Inquisitor would show up. It was like ice water down her spine and for a moment she couldn't breathe and honeyed eyes caught sight of the man's markings. No no no no no... Not today, not now.

It took all her might not to loudly scoff at the man's comment that Pratt was a good man. The old sycophant had a fame for being a cold, calculated 'researcher', to say he experimented on mages, ingratiating himself with whoever powerful figure might stand in his way. Lis didn't even know there was a Lord Inquisitor in town. Just my luck. The young woman made a point of keeping the hat low over her face, though her red lips were visible in their white toothed smile as she kept the ruse, along with the elf, who seemed to be rather quick-witted. "Ah, thank you so kindly, Lord Inquisitor, only I was told to lead her to the Ambassador, then the matter would be handled with Inquisitor Pratt. You must be well acquainted with Braedonian bureaucracy..." No walking me to the damn Mage Tower!

The young man next to him gave her the creeps. It was a striking youngster, for sure, somewhat... similar to the elf next to her, if truth be told, but he had a fire in those green eyes that bordered zealotry. No. They were not in good hands. The Inquisitor must have been carrying something of power, because Elise could feel something in her teeth, like magic, but... wrong. The girl was out of the hands of those creeps and now Elise was the one most in danger. She needed to do something.

With Ara, at the graveyard, Elise had managed to conceal the both of them, maybe it would work. Just a tad longer... Just far enough from the trio they left behind, at the end of the busy courtyard, where it met the several streets leading into different districts. Lis' heart beat in her ears, she hadn't been this close to capture since the day she tried getting into the tower to find Ara, shortly after her capture.

There. A swift hand grasped the elven girl's wrist and Lis raised her hand to cast the shimmering field of invisibility, the effort of expanding her powers to work on someone else causing a prickly pressure on her temples. The shimmer started covering them, shifting the view like hot stone under the sun. And then it fizzled, dissipating, like sucked away by... The boy.

Elise's honey eyes widened, breath caught in her throat. Normally, she'd have bolted by now, running into the familiar maze like alleyways she knew so well. But she was exhausted and stunned, and all she could manage was to whisper to the elf. "Don't do anything stupid." Like this. Elise drew her weapons and threw her head back to throw the hat off her head and get a better view.

Isaac's words drifted over her like a fog and she could barely understand. I can't carry you. She needed to get up, to run and hide but her body wasn't responding. 'Get up Ara' She urged to herself. The fire inside her was burning white hot and she could barely focus on anything else. Her body felt foreign, like she was a estranged from it, no longer in control and whatever was, stubbornly refused to move.
Stay.
She felt the command but not in words. A compulsion, forcing her body to refuse her own instructions.... but she wanted to stay, she needed to stay.
What was happening? The pain was almost unbearable and her panic furious but this was more than that. There was a wall of fog between her consciousness and her body, between her and the world beyond. She wanted to listen to the command, she wanted to please, but the thought of Isaac spurred her to fight. 'Get up!' She could feel her whole body trembling with the effort and yet she had no more success than that.
Instead she felt the need to grab him to keep him with her and her arm began to move before she could even comprehend it.
'Stop Ara, don't' The arm slowed and trembled hard as she fought against it. She wanted to grab him with all her heart and she was beginning to lose the fight. Why won't he leave her? Why couldn't he save himself?
She needed to warn him, he needed to flee with out her before she could stop him. With her last resistance she felt the retched yell escape through the mist.
"GO!"
For a moment she could see the world freely once again and a second later it was gone.

Last edited:
@MJK2431 @Maeriel

Don't do anything stupid.

Stavros thought to himself as the woman engaged him with conversation, the ruse was played well but the elven woman had already given him all he needed to know about this exchange. The fact the elf was he alone and un-escorted was odd on it's own. Not impossible but uncommon to say the least, if she would indeed be here in an official capacity she certainly would have an escort as the elves were not known to be very trusting of humans. Stavros didn't consider himself an expert but he was well travelled and had come across the elven kin more then your average Mage Hunter. He smiled a little at the slight jab of the woman and replied, seemingly taking it in stride.

"Forgive me My lady, I don't share the Braedonian love for bureaucracy but please, let me offer an escort all the same." As such he dismounted calmly and offered the reigns of his horse to Illian, careful not to turn away from the two women. Illian nudged his horse forward and grabbed the reigns, forcing himself to break his stare and bound the reigns of Stavros's steed to his own mount. Once accomplished this he took a deep breath and refocused, letting his senses reach into the eather and watch for breaches of the veil.

Stavros was calm and composed, at least he appeared to be outwardly, His pace accommodated the two people he offered to escort but always attempting to keep a good eye on them. He attempted small talk, as a gentleman would in this situation. informing if the travel to Braedon had suited young elf well and naturally apologising that her welcome had not been more pleasant. It was Illian who was at odds with the Lord Inquisitor's intent. the way he glared, his cold focused expression...no... Illian was not at all in a favourable disposition.

It happened quickly, not what Stavros expected. Illian gritted his teeth and threw every ounce of his will against the breaching magic. "No.." He grunted through his teeth , eyes wide with outrage. The Magic was pushed back, back to the place it came from and Illian lost his sense of balance for a second. It gave Stavros all he needed.

Stavros moved far quicker then a man of his age should, possessing a fluency and ease of movement that suggested the man had not felt the hand of time on his body yet. He closed the distance with Elise just as she started turning sword drawn, her speed was commendable and at full strength she would not been caught by surprise.but it was already to late. Any semblance of knightly behaviour was replaced with a brutal aggression reserved for accomplished brawlers and pit fighters. It took one punch directly to the solar plexus, Elise was lifted of her feet by the sheer force of the impact. He caught the woman as she toppled forward desperately gasping for air before passing out from the shock moments after. The other hand wrested the blade from her hand and raised it, tip stopping an inch short of Valerie's throat while he allowed Elise to slide to the ground.

"Don't make this worse then it already is..." His voice was stern and commanding and yet there was something pleading in his eyes. Stavros sincerely did not wish to cause more harm then he already did."Illian, collar her at once...manacles as well..." Illian moved with expedience regardless if the woman was knocked out or not. The Mage Bane collar around her neck would prevent her from using magic without seriously injuring herself, the manacles were mundane but of excellent condition. Illian acted with prejudice and bravado, proud at his accomplishments and capture. When he saw Elise's face however he blinked for a moment. and canted his head to the side, for the first moment revealing the slightly tipped ear as his pale hair moved a little with the gesture.

[Illian]"No...can't be..."

[Stavros, still staring Val down with the extended blade.]"If you have hopes in staying in Braedon legally and not be hunted by every Mage hunter in the region I suggest you cooperate My Lady..." Having Illian deal with Elise Stavros reached for a set of Mage Binder Manacles and reached them out to the young elf. "Put these on and we can sort this out... I promise..." Again Stavros was completely sincere in his intent, he wasnt sure what exactly was going on here but he knew something wasn't exactly right. A mage turning on Mage Hunters did not do so easily.
There was a small crowd forming around them after the immediate area was vacated with the outburst of violence and Magic.

@Scalerender @Maeriel

Valerie felt as if the man was looking through her instead of at her whenever he observed her from head to toe, the girl's eyes narrowing as they walked even when he continued to appear friendly and accommodating. She could sense the waves of discomfort passing over the woman beside her, the woman's facade in tact was it not for the way she appeared to be walking more stiffly than before. When she had been with the three men earlier she was in her natural element deceiving and charming in Valerie's eyes, but now she seemed more reserved and reluctant. Valerie herself felt scrutinized constantly, the wall she was attempting to maintain in her mind slowly coming down brick by brick from some unknown force. It was tiring to say the least and on more than one occasion she had almost tripped on something protruding from the ground because her concentration was more in her head than on where she was placing her feet.

The female squinted, moving a stray curl of hair out her face as she continued to exchange pleasantries with the man who had dismounted. He was different to the others, that much was clear. His attire was more polished yet worn in, as if he cared more about a job that he had also been doing longer than most of the uniformed men she had seen around. His attire seemed to match his characteristics too though, he carried himself with some regality and pride that she did not see in the trio Viola and her had evaded.

Then there was the younger male, who Valerie could now truly watch as he seemed to be focused on something occupying his mind. His features pulled at her memory, the girl trying to place his face among any of those she had met, especially the rare foreign dignitary who had wandered into the Elven regions, but none stood out. All that she could achieve from studying him though is that the younger man was in a dark and brooding mood, one she knew she did not want to be on the dark side of should things turn sour. In the direction they were heading, she felt like that was the way things would be regardless. So instead, she focused her efforts on trying to find a method of escape.

Valerie was looking to the joining streets and hidden corners when she felt the woman beside her suddenly grab a hold of her wrist, the motion and the frantic manner in which it was conducted letting her know that her plan-making was done too late. It seemed that Viola would be trying to take matters into her own hands. The elf felt a surge of magical energy, the beginnings of it surging halfway up her arm when it suddenly receded back into nothing. Then there was a flurry of motion, one she tried her best to orchestrate to her benefit by at least withdrawing a weapon for her defense but the older man moved with a grace and poise that his physique shouldn't have allowed. Too little too late. She thought to herself, gritting her teeth as her already retracted hidden dagger glinted in the late morning sun. A bigger glint from the sword at her throat prevented her from doing anything with her small weapon though, the elf recognizing an unfavourable position for her to fight when it just about prodded her in the throat.

Atylis' words prickled her mind, his wisdom echoing in her panicked thoughts. When you don't have the upper hand, be patient until you do. Forcing people to act when they have an advantage over you will almost always end poorly. She slowly sheathed her dagger back into the leather piece woven around her waist, keeping her actions slow and deliberate as the man spoke with her. His words seemed stern and warning enough, but it was his eyes that Valerie watched most keenly. Truth shone in them. Experience and understanding. She knew that even though he was talking of trying to help her, if she caused him more trouble than she was worth justice would be dealt swiftly. It would appear that magic of any non-permitted form was allowed here and this did not bode well for her. She could surmise from the 'No' that came from the younger male straight after Elise's magic had surged that he might be the one behind her mental barrier being broken down, since it must have been the thing to stop Elise. With someone around her to stop her elemental manipulation, she lose the only advantage she had.

The Elven girl did not like her odds, but she had better chance of being able to formulate a fool-proof plan if she cooperated and had time to think rather than trying to escape and more than likely be captured in this unknown territory...especially considering the younger male had some sort of ability to detect and control magic. She wordlessly took the contraption the man offered, placing it on her. It felt thick, cold and heavy. A halter to the wild animal that they viewed magic-users as. She felt trapped once again, with nothing to comfort her but the sincerity in the man's voice.

She looked at him with honesty in her emerald hues, saying quietly but firmly "I do not enjoy being a dog led around on a leash. It is somewhat demeaning. Please ensure you do whatever you need to swiftly so that this mess will be sorted. I have bigger things to deal with than the petty regulations of magic occurring among the Lorrites."

Her people at home were suffering, most likely being put into slave-like conditions to mine the metals beneath the Elven regions. That's at least what Valerie had guessed the rebel force would do. If they wanted power, the first thing they would need was wealth and that was the quickest way to do it. She did not understand this immense pressure to control the wielders of magic. Where she came from, the rare elemental magic only found among the elves was a gift, one to be cherished and used to help your kind. Here it seemed shrouded in cruelty and hatred, a fact which made the previous brightness of this place dull immensely to Val.

Back