The Bonds That Tie Us

DMPMCNOV2014_TienChi.jpg

________________________​

The southern parts were the least ordered of the Orcish rule over the Nords, the lands were in a constant flux with the skirmish battles for control. Free Nords organized themselves in outlaw bands and would raise whatever havoc they could to free their kin and disrupt Orc plans. The greenskins in turn sent troops to reclaim lost footing. As a result, these were also the most ravaged lands, more battlefields than homes, and hard to keep informed of which village belonged to whom.

Three clans were the most prevalent in the area. The Volsung, previously known for their ancestor's prowess with the two-handed hammer and their lively feasts with several barrels of the strongest mead in Nordholm and the amount of brawls, which were like a sport to their kin. Scylfing, a forest clan that suffered unspeakable war crimes during the orc invasion and became a shield-maiden only clan, fierce, proud, known before the war for their skill with the bow and the astounding number of shamans that came from their loins. And finally Skolmunding, a clan known for their ruthlessness in maintaining the borders against the Lorrites and for their shrewd war strategies, never completely having fallen under orc rule, the first of the clans to rise as rebels.

Bands of these clanmen were plentiful, but the constant battles were so gritty many freed slaves preferred to keep to a simple life of labor, able to be assimilated by either side, instead of picking up arms. Tensions were always high, true to their warring nature, brawls would spark at the least provocation as some of those who chose to fight saw the ones that chose not to as cowards and worse than thralls. Knowing they lived in a delicate circle, where their rebellion could not be without the food and shelter provided by those who didn't go into battle, the Nord learned to compromise.

It was in such a ravaged small village Alfhild found herself. The small cramped tavern smelled of stale ale and even staler rushes. Haggard were most patrons, the embittered, downtrodden, tough to chew on that lived through the grim reality the Nord found themselves in. War made few good men. Hard eyes watched her pass by, and the few who chose a less bloody sort of life quickly moved off the way of the heavily armored Alfhild, not wishing any trouble. The quiet that covered the place as people measured the newcomer was thick and tense.

As her icy blue eyes scanned the place, they dismissed most as disgruntled locals trying to scrape by and eke out an existence between skirmishes, until the next orc command, and subsequent rebel release... Except for 4 proud Nord, who looked neither intimidated nor at ease with the armor-clad figure scanning the place as if up to no good. They all looked battle hardened, the eldest of them perhaps a testament to their people's resilience as nowadays, an aging Nord is a rare sight in armor, harsh blue eyes could force most to look away and settle down. The bald one was clearly the most boisterous and spoiling for a fight, his red beard a display of his drink and food, breadcrumbs, pork grease and spilled ale. There was a calm and curious glint in the stormy eyes of the dark-haired, younger male, watching the newcomer as if his eyes could draw her stories. And the woman... the shield-maiden had an aura of burden, like of all the people in the tavern, she was the one most weary. Her eyes were almost sky blue and her hair a platinum blonde tousled by wind and likely the moisture of the cold rain turning everything gray and muddied outside. Her stare was perhaps the most unsettling, a kind of peering-through gaze that made one feel naked.

The weathered barkeep scooped the copper into his apron, all but three, avoiding her piercing gaze as he set to the task at hand. "We want no trouble." The simple statement was clear. These people took no sides. He'd not gossip over what he believed not his place to meddle in, he would not risk bringing misfortune on his house, a common stance in the 'civilians' of these parts. The shield-maiden nudged the dark-haired male warrior and raised her chin Alfhild's way. The man glanced between the two, and after taking a swig from his mug, wiped his lips with the back of his hand and said, a crisp, masculine voice which broke well through the din and seemed fitting for the telling of stories around a bonfire. "What brings you this way, traveler? What's your interest in the humble timbers around us all?"

Suspicious though she may be, it was clear to Alfhild no one else seemed willing to give her any ears. The group all looked at her as the man spoke and behind her the bartender quietly set down a brass key and a cutting board with crackling piglet cuts, roast beetroot with dill and onions and a piece if hard bread, without being told, he set a foaming mug of dark ale which spilled some on the stained wooden counter.

b936f089226c258feb52c33948d88184.jpg
Portrait_Brutes.jpg
1b4f167b50639eda7e42c04f895034bb.jpg
cf4cb8e79784fc3794d78ea4e620f20d.jpg

@Shadras

Stavros stared at her as if he could strip her to the bones with his eyes and Elise felt uncomfortable, but she refused to let it show. Her stare was in turn harsh and accusing. As if it said "contradict me now... tell me about your noble pursuits and how you wish us no harm...". What followed was so surreal she remained stunned though most of it. Her brain registered the implication of Stavros' order to Illian a minute too late and even so, she thought if it wasn't ' construct conjured up from her state of pain and hunger. Was she mistaken? The slamming door in the youth's wake told a different story.

Then it all went like a fog of a dream, she got snippets of what Stavros said and what Valerie spoke. She vaguely thought once again the woman was bright and perceptive. And the Lord Inquisitor... he was not what she expected. For a brief moment guided by the giddiness of thinking she may actually live to see another day, live to see Ara, she thought she might be mistaken about this one Mage Hunter. Then his rather emotionless threat brought back up her walls along with their barbs and her bitterness over those he served. Hunt us like the dogs we are, huh?

Elise had no words to the man. Not so much out of stubbornness, but true speechlessness. He released her and her hands first rubbed her sore, pinprickly hands, massaging the blood back in, feeling more herself. When off came the collar she made the mistake of repeating the gesture, wincing at the pain of the sore, pinkish-red flesh in the wake of the burn she received for her loss of control. It served to remind her who they really are. Her jaw set tightly and she stood, moving to the table with a hand resting on her aching torso, where the man mercilessly punched her into unconsciousness. She should seek Mama Kerr and have her call in a healer, only she had no time for such things. She needed to find Ara. Lis cut herself a slice of cheese, and munched it slowly, despite her hunger, the knife held between fingers twitching to use it on her enemies, but she held it at bay. She let the Elven maiden speak. Lis... bid her time.

@Scalerender @MJK2431

Stavros halted when Val spoke to him and turned towards her, his expressions betraying nothing but eyes burdened by a grave matter indeed. He sighed at looked at her silently for a moment before letting his gaze move towards Elise. He responded, looking between them.

"I imagine little of this makes sense considering what you know about my Order. Suffice to say there is a division without our ranks and the Braedon chapter is tilted fully towards one extreme of our duty. I was warned of this by a friend, a Mage, who had been part of the Braedon chapter.... I have not received any answer to my last missive to him and one of the reasons for coming here was to see if he was well. If what miss Gale has told me is true then I fear for his fate as much as I fear for the fate of any Mage not completely aligned with the chapter. I must gather evidence before I can do anything about it... What has been done to Ara, I can't let that go by unpunished... Leaving you both here in chains will leave you vulnerable to the predation of the local chapter... It is not a risk I am willing to take, all things considered...

We can speak more when I return, if I do not return by nightfall assume I have been detained. I should go now, lest my motivations are no longer hidden from the chapter. "

Stavros nodded once and then turned and left. He sighed deeply, this felt like a mistake... Something he'd come to regret. He told himself he had no choice, that his hand was forced. It didn't sound convincing in his own mind but he clung to the excuse. He felt something stir in the shadows of his mind, he knew the real reason why he was doing this... He just refused to bring it to the light.

@MJK2431 @Maeriel

Alfhild took her time responding. Removing first her hood and helm, allowing her golden hair partly free which was, today, tied in three separate braids. One that undercut the back of her hair in a small loop; the second hung down around her left ear, while the last sat upon the back of her head and trailed down to the collar. The rest of her hair remained tucked away, behind her armor. Her face was dusted with a layer of grime and dirt from travels, but the icy blue eyes, now released from their shadowy prison, shimmered with calculating intelligence. Alfhild knew she didn't want to take all of them in a fight, but that won't stop me from hacking my way out of here if they start want to try it. Silently, she took the three coins, the key, and the hunk of bread. Taking a bite out of it, she surveyed the party, swallowed, and finally spoke in a relaxed manner, dropping her intimidating tone. She knew that this group wouldn't be so easy control with a glare. So she changed tact, lightened her mood as if she was merely glad that her journey had ended for today. As if this were nothing but exchanging pleasantries of news, rather than possibly engaging in a desperate struggle for information, any information, regarding shamans and the Sword of Blood.

She began, with the truth, "I hail from the north and seek news of the doings and rumors of the Fenrir and orcs. For now, I'm traveling from village to village in search of it. In return, I bring news from the doings of our people and the orcs from the north." It was true that she was from the north, and true she was looking for news. But she didn't care too much about glory stories. Not unless they included words a warrior rising up with mighty blade. What she thought was more probable was to find nuggets of information hidden within them. Perhaps it would something that these warriors wouldn't even understand, but she had read all the old stories, she knew the lore and legends of her people, and knew what to look for in case a shaman had began to subtly influence events in this region.

Alfhild took a healthy swig of her ale, then said, "After I finish with the lands down here, I will return to my Jarl in the north. And that is my interest in these humble timbers." She continued watching them, even as she cut into her piglet.

@Maeriel

Last edited:
The strangers words were odd, Ara could barely make sense of it. He, was offering to help her. At least she thought he was, it was hard to tell. Ara stopped on her wobbly legs trying to process his offer. Information in exchange for help. There wasn't too much of a choice, she didn't like the thought of relying on a strange man but she needed to get to Isaac and her body was useless. What she would do when she got there, Ara had no idea. Her mind could only focus on getting to him. She needed him and if saving him didn't work out she needed to find Lis and maybe she could help.
"Okay." She nodded to the man "Please, I need to get there quickly... but no carrying."
The thought of being helpless in the arms of a male stranger was an uncomfortable thought. For now she could walk, she would think about that offer if the situation became more desperate.
She looked at him, waiting for him to initiate the "helping", before realising that he was probably waiting for the her to offer some information.
"He's been taken by Mage Hunters to Braedon. Please," She urged, "I need to save him."
Ara, couldn't help her eyes from welling up. This interaction was costing her time and she couldn't help but imagine Isaac getting closer and closer to his terrible fate.

@Shadras

They looked among each other as the woman revealed her travel worn face. It wasn't that rare a thing to see 'half-bloods', as Fenrir called them. The practice of gathering thralls was still alive and the orcs were always pleased to gather more slaves, be it by raiding or reproducing. It was a rare thing to see one in armor and acting on the behalf of a Jarl, however. Such pairings yielded children who were weaker than a pure blooded Fenrir and the Nords spared little time with those who were weak, especially in such harsh times. 'Half-bloods' served in other ways.

Of course her presence there altogether told them a few things. That Alfhild's Jarl perhaps sent her down to die or to test her strength and that she wasn't just any weakling to have survived the trip down this far. Provided what she was telling them was the truth... The older Nord made a gesture with his chin and the bald one with a disgruntled huff put a large hand on an empty stool and dragged it to their table. The older man's voice was like stone scraping the ground and the chatter in the tavern went down an octave in response to the sound.

"Take a seat, traveler. Let's swap tales, yes? What news have you from the north? Are the Waegmundung still fighting the good fight?" It struck Alfhild immediately. She happened to know because of her father's connections that that clan was one of the first to submit to Orc rule and relish in raiding in their name. No one under her father spoke the name without spitting afterwards. The man's hard gaze rested on her face, on her eyes... studying her. His authority was clear, as the others remained quiet as he spoke. The dark haired man looked between the two still in a rather relaxed manner. The bald one was much too busy scarfing down impressive amounts of food and drink and the solemn woman sometimes raised her gaze to Alfhild, a certain air of strangeness hanging around her.

@Shadras

The man's words woke all sort of thoughts, doubts and suspicions in Elise's mind. Could he be truthful? A Mage Hunter friends with a Mage? Trying to stop the abusive treatment of the spellcasters in town? More relevant seemed to be the question underlining all of it: what would he gain by lying?

Stavros closed the door behind him, leaving her alone with the elven maiden. Elise moved to her weapons belt and fastened it about her hips, honey colored eyes regarding the young woman for a moment. Every fibre of the street rat in her told Lis to bail, but she felt reluctant to leave Valerie to an uncertain fate and even more so of having Stavros and his bitter apprentice after Ara, separating the sisters once again.

"I'll... Be right back." She finally said, stepping out of the room.

Connor sat in the corner, hat lowered as usual, watching. His mind swam with questions. Why would Mage Hunters take Elise to an inn by the docks? It had taken every ounce of his self control not to grab the younger one when he stomped down the stairs none too pleased while Connor entered the tavern. But when the other man left too, Connor was thoroughly puzzled. Had he left Elise on her own? What has he done to her?!

Just as Connor was ready to go investigate, down came Elise. The mark around her neck was raw and telling and nearly made him go to her, but he simply couldn't tell whether that was a good idea. The tavern was full of rowdy sailors having their meals and the man disappeared in the crowd, watching Elise grab hold of one of the guild's little spies, one of the urchins who worked as a sort of courier for messaging around town. She slipped the boy a coin along with a message, then ordered her mead and went back up. Oddest thing Connor's ever seen. Off he hurried to catch up with the boy...

Elise closed the door behind her looking at Valerie and taking a seat grimacing a little. Her magic surged as she put effort into increasing her stamina and decreasing her pain. She sighed relieved, even if the wounds would still be there to be dealt with when she could no longer keep this up.

Taking a nice gulp of mead, Elise broke the silence. "So... Ariel... What's your name? And why are you being hunted? I thought you elves were a tight-knit bunch, must be pretty serious for you to seek refuge in Braedon, of all places..."

@Scalerender @MJK2431

Valerie was stunned by the man’s abrupt departure, having been preparing herself for the worst after the swift act of immobilising them and then his admittance of having a need for vengeance against any magic users. He seemed to have passed that desire on to his ward as he had changed with experience and age and now the younger male was the one to hold such fiery hatred.

Elise’s reaction shocked Val more though. After everything she had admitted and everything the elven maiden had been able to piece together from the tidbits of a sorrowful story the woman had told she had expected her to bolt as soon as the man was out the room. Yet, she had stayed…or at least, that is what she had led her to believe with her statement of ‘I’ll be right back’. The elf knew that more than likely the woman had fled, wanting to relieve herself of the nuisance Valerie had become after her attempt to help her and resulted in the other woman’s capture. She still waited though, giving the woman ten minutes to return before she herself considered her next action.

********************************************************************************************
She was just about to leave, the ten minutes up that she had given Elise to return, when the women entered back through the door once more. The elf was standing when she entered, her mind still in a chaotic whirl about where she would go next in Braedon when the female was addressing her.

Valerie squinted her eyes at the female, saying in a bit of a huff “My name is Valerie, not Ariel.” She heard the query in the woman’s tone, knowing that she was curious about her unusual solitude in this region. Her voice softened when she next spoke, saying “Elves are ‘tight-knit’ with those they know…although it appears of late that when someone is standing on a pile of dirt others want, the first way to get it is to slaughter those who it belongs to rather than go through peaceful negotiations as is the custom.”

Her mind sprinted back to that dreadful night, her expression darkening. She soon gained control of her thoughts though, her face becoming like that of a marble statue….stony, cold and unreadable.

@Scalerender @Maeriel

He started off at a leisurely pace, as if there was all the time in the world to save Isaac, in the direction of Braedon.
"No carrying?" he said, "a shame. We could get there much faster if you rode on my back then wanting to walk on the support of my legs. However, it does have the added benefit of giving us more time to talk. Tell me, what is Braedon? I assume it is a place and not a person in this case. At least, it sounds as such. I have never been there. Is it a large city with walls? Is it a small, open village? Although, judging by what your spirit is giving off," Vidar turned his face to her in a sudden twist of the neck that looked painful and said, "your will is still ahead of your wit, and that will not service you or your Isaac."

@AJPhips

Alfhild gathered her food and drink in one arm, her helm in another, and sat down with the crew of warriors.
"The Waegumdung," she spat, "gave in years ago, perhaps before I was even named, and now gorge upon the scraps that fall from orcs' table by raiding in their name. However, the Throndrin still hold the high passes of the Kallada mountains while the Thells have risen and cut a path to another arm of the same range and raid the orcs from it. Also, the Aedomag still harass out of northern woods of Pamlak." She continued to describe the positive situations of thirteen of the major northern clans, then moved onto the clans who had not raised in rebellion, then clans who were themselves split as to resistance or submission, and lastly listed the clans of which she had no idea what they were doing. Throughout her descriptions, she told notable tales and deeds of both sides, but never truly favored any one clan in the telling, though she slandered all those who served the orcs and merely mentioned that no shaman had risen from any clan. In total, she discussed around twenty-seven of the clans, not even a third of the number of clans in Nordholm.

"And there you have it," she said, "now tell me you tales. What has been happening down in the south? How hold the Skolmunding?"

@Maeriel

Ara was beginning to get annoyed by this strange man's jabbering. She could barely follow what he was trying to say and she certainly had more important things to focus on. Unfortunately, currently he was the only thing getting her closer to Isaac, so for now she could put up with his odd tongue.
"My wit," She muttered through clenched teeth, struggling to put one foot in front of the other, "is fine. It's my fault, I have to help."
with each step Ara struggled a little more, her body fatigued and uncoordinated and fading fast.
"Braedon is a city. It has walls, yes." She managed through laboured breaths "Isaac will be imprisoned there if I don't help him."
She felt herself start to lean more and more on the stranger's strength. A man she didn't even know the name of. He seemed so unusual like he was an alien from far away. He was built so large and strong, unlike anyone she'd seen before. Bigger even than any guard at the Mage Tower. Stranger still, his tongue. His words reminded her of old riddles her mother used to give her to keep her occupied while stuck in the house. She hated riddles. To find herself relying so heavily on such a foreign man, of whom she didn't even know the name, was so strange, and yet, in the moment she did not care. Whatever got her closer to Isaac, whatever she had to do.

Ara stumbled a little, here legs no longer agreeing to hold her weight. There was a pause in their process as she struggled to hold herself up. Finally, with a defeated breath, the fading girl looked up at the stranger beside her.
"Okay, carry me."

She had no idea what she'd do when she got there, in the state she was in she'd be no help to Isaac but she couldn't think of that now. She needed to get the Braedon, after that she could think about what to do.
@Shadras

Elise arched an eyebrow to the Elven girl's tone and huff. I've found the Elven version of Ara... The curving of her lips showed amusement. Valerie was not a name she found very exotic, Lis had expected something almost impossible to pronounce, accompanied by a little grimace and roll of eyes every time she mispronounced it. Such thoughts were brushed aside as the subject grew serious and grim. It was more than a little unusual to hear about some inner struggle over lands inside Elven territory. It went very much against all Lis knew about Elven culture, which granted, was very little and likely more stereotypical profiling than anything else. Valerie was very bitter as she told the unforeseen snippet of information. The word 'slaughter' hung heavy in the air as the maiden took a few moments to recompose and looked more like a sculpture, locked into an expression of poise and solemness.

The silence lingered. Elise wasn't entirely sure why the mood felt a little sour against her. Perhaps Valerie resented the human touching the clearly very sensitive topic. Perhaps she blamed her for her current predicament, even though it was infinitely better than what those three men had in mind. Lis found herself somewhat disconcerted, like with Ara when her sister had suddenly gotten very mad at her. Elise's approach then had been to give her sister space. That space turned into Ara running away and a bitter taste came to Elise's mouth, one she washed down with another good gulp of mead. She couldn't let it head that same way, even if Valerie was mostly a stranger. Her voice was even and gentle as she spoke.

"I'm very sorry for your losses. I don't know what Braedon could possibly offer you in means of succor, but if you wish to remain in the safety of its walls I know people who don't mind giving a hand to those that like us possess magic. They can also help gathering information, finding a place to stay and keep hidden from the Mage Hunters. It comes with its prices, but generally they find a use for everyone, a job of sorts. I don't know if venturing out alongside us is what you are looking for, you must have your own worries that don't include my sister's location..."

@Scalerender @MJK2431

Vidar remained unphased by Ara's growing impatience and continued steadily towards Braedon's walls. His smile broadened as she claimed her wit was fine and shifted to better support her. He dropped silent as she talked, allowing her to say her piece then responding to each in turn
"Really?" he said as calmly as if they were discussing what to order for dinner and Ara had just picked a unique dish, "and yet I wonder. Have you thought about how we will even enter this Braedon? This, city with walls. Will they allow us in with ease, or question why we want to enter? Will we need payment in those flat, pointless coins, or will we be able to trade other wares? We are on but the first step of your quest to save your Isaac, and the simple basics have yet to be considered."

He allowed his thoughts to finally break from the situation and what he sensing from the girl and turned to what his five senses told him. She was hungry, that was obvious, drained, even more obvious, but she had calluses that suggested some hard labor. However, her muscles suggested anything but. So what caused the calluses? he mused, but more importantly, what are those tatoos? In his experience, red was rarely a safe color. It was the color of fire, of sweet smelling flowers with thorns, and unhinged things inside the forest. It's also the color of some delicious fruits, he added fairly. However, those appeared naturally, and these markings upon Ara were anything but. They made him uneasy, but he hid it. He hid it for the sake of scaring this girl off.

"Okay, carry me."

The words shook him out of his thought line. He hoped he had continued smiling throughout it. Being the lone human throughout most his life had led to him talking to himself quite extensively and rarely hiding his facial features. So Vidar made sure his smile was in place, shifted so that he was in front, and said "climb up, don't mind the...what is it called...pack! Yes, don't mind the pack much. Nothing breaking nor pokey. We'll get there much quicker."

Vidar himself didn't quite know the reasons why he was helping this girl. Only that his gut was telling him that this was the right first step down a road he had to travel. In any event, he thought, I need a new pack.

@AJPhips

Ara was now faced with the task of climbing on to the man's back. The girl blushed, both at the prospect of being carried by an unknown male and at her inability to stand for herself. With much effort Ara managed to cling onto the man, her arms linked around his neck, holding on with all the energy she could bear. The man's word echoed in her head, taunting the holes in her plan, or lack there of. Ara was beginning to dislike this guy, yet here she was, clinging to his back.

"I have a release order." Ara struggled to say as she was jogged around by the man's movement "I'm a free citizen, they should let me in."
The scroll documenting her release sat untouched in her satchel, along with her doll, ladybug. She hoped it would be enough to get her in. They hadn't taken her when they had taken Isaac so maybe they still considered her free. That lead Ara's thoughts into unwanted streams. Why had they ignored her? Helping a wanted criminal, surely that was enough to damn her name. Yet, she hadn't helped him, not really. She had done the exact opposite. She had delayed his escape and did nothing as he was taken away. Ara couldn't help the shiver that ran through her. That feeling of not being in control and yet choosing to do exactly what she didn't want to do.
But that wasn't quite right either, because in the moment, she did want to do it, and that was far worse.

Ara buried her face in the man's back, not thinking about who it was she was touching. A fresh wave of shame washed over her. Isaac must think her a monster. She had single-handedly destroyed his life, his future.
She could never truly make it up to him, and she frankly doubted her ability to save him, but if she didn't try she would not be able to live with herself. For so many years she had been reminded of the monster she was. She had been called it daily and tried so hard to restrain the monstrous magic within her and attempt to be a normal human. If she did nothing, then she might as well resign herself to the fact that she was no more than a plague on the land. Isaac needed her, so she would go.

@Shadras

Vidar made certain that Ara was secure, supported her grip with his arms, then bounded into what he considered to be a light jog. In reality, he was moving as quick as a man who would see Vidar's movement as hard jog, or perhaps even a run.

He responded to her words quite cheerily, saying, "A good first step! Although it leaves out how I will enter. No matter, I will find a way. Now then, where abouts would those...ruffians? rogues? knaves? Jertankoth? Kadraiin? Daemons?...Well, whatever they are, where do you think they took your Isaac?" As Ara pressed her face against his back, she smelled something strange. Or rather, unexpected. Instead of smelling the reek of a traveling vagabond, she smelled something deep in her memory. Something so simple and sweet, but it had been blotted out by the years in the tower. It was the smell that came after a rain shower. To be specific, a rain shower upon a field of flowers. It was so soft and intangible that it had gone quite unnoticed until she had pressed her face up against Vidar.

While he talked, Vidar allowed himself to feel again the radiation of her spirit. It amazed him how unguarded she kept her emotions. He didn't even need to pry into her emotions or thoughts to feel them. Not that I know how to, or if its even possible, he thought. Still, it worried him how the shame radiated off her. Worried him that it would begin to eclipse her own abilities. So, not waiting for an answer, he changed his tact.

"Your determination will carry you," he said with soft, absolute certainty. "If nothing else, trust that. If you let it, it will lead you to thinking. And thinking will lead you to a plan. And a plan will lead you to a solution. And a solution will bring you victory. Only witless recklessness will thwart what determination will build." Vidar suddenly seemed realize he was bouncing. He smoothed out his stride and bent forward more, enough that Ara could even let go with her arms and she would not fall. "But you won't need to worry about that because you won't be doing this alone. I'm here to be your legs and bring your wit back to you."

"Now then!" Vidar's manic energy returned to his voice, propelling the pair down road, "shall we discuss the next step in the plan, or would you rather have a rest? We'll need locations, allies, and information. I can't catch horses with my legs alone, so we can assume your Isaac will be being imprisoned before we even reach the Braedon city.

@AJPhips

Last edited:
The news Alfhild gave were soaked up quietly by the three, the bald man kept on eating and drinking and leaving the talking to the others. They seemed to have grown slightly more at ease after the Waegmundung talk, Nord were not known as deceivers, after all, one of the reasons why they had issues with the other races. Honor was paramount to the Fenrir. The dark haired man seemed to mince word by word, committing to mind, perhaps placing it all on a great map in his head of how their world looks like now. The situation of the Nords was a precarious one. The orcs had bitten more than they could chew, but the division between the Fenrir made them an easy mark for the savage horde of Orcs under their cruel king.

"And there you have it," she said, "now tell me you tales. What has been happening down in the south? How hold the Skolmunding?"

The older man had again leaned back on his chair, with an aura that called to mind a king on his throne. The bald man had finally finished eating, though whether it was because the dishes were empty or he was actually satisfied was a mystery. He was leaning on the table, eyes more concerned with what was happening in the room than with the table itself, still drinking... The woman had something between her hands she was fidgeting with, though it was under the table and Alfhild couldn't see it. It was the dark-haired man who finally spoke, voice softer, not intent on being heard by the whole tavern.

"I'm Terus Fanrikson of the Skolmunding and this is Erund Tharulson, my clanmate." He gestured to the older man next to him, who offered Alfhild a light nod. "Our famished friend is Bass... Bassrunn Engmensson of the Volsung and the silent shield-maiden you might have guessed is one of the elusive Scylfing, Deirdre Feranahrdottir." Bass simply gave a hum that sounded more like a growl and Deirdre raised those sky-blue eyes straight to Alfhild's for a moment, as if she could see inside of her, then lowered them to whatever she fidgeted with. It was clear they expected some sort of introduction back, but the fact they were treating with the woman regardless of her mixed blood was something.

"The Skolmunding managed to gather the support of the Volsung and Scylfing. Together we have managed to free most of the southeastern villages. The Lorrites have been making some forays into the borders, trying to reclaim land in the skirmishes. Orcs have refocused to the West from where they send the occasional forces, mainly to gather bodies rather than land. They have reinforced their garrisons in the attempt of forming a stronger line against our advances." He paused to drink from his foaming mug and then discussed a little about rumors of other clans they heard about. All in all, it seemed the alliance between these three clans was a singular effort not yet mimicked by others.

@Shadras

Alfhild inclined her head respectfully to each in turn as they were introduced, but almost shivered under Deirdre's gaze. She hated when people could do that. Her father could do that; pick into a person's thoughts and expose every flaw of a man before laying them all to bear before his companions. With an internal grimace, Alfhild pushed through it and introduced herself in the same, soft voice that Terus did. "My name is Alfhild Thell of the Thells, naturally." While she respected that they would deal with her mixed blood, Alfhild didn't allow it to affect her too much. After all, even if some Fenrir would treat her with respect, it didn't get her any closer to being in the eyes of her father.

Listening to the news from the south did little to comfort her. While she could admit that at least three clans getting along was something useful for the war, she couldn't bring herself to be happy about it. That, combined with the aura that Erund was projecting made her even more uneasy. If a clan was uniting the others under one banner, and possibly pushing their way towards become High King, it would make it that much harder for the Thells to bring them all under their banner. All the more reason to keep my mission quiet, she thought.

"I see, thank you for the information, my Jarl will be most pleased." She continued to leave out that the chief of the Thells was her father and hoped they assumed that she was only distantly related to him in some way. Of course, she thought, being his bastard is distant enough. Then said, "I suppose you've heard nothing about a shaman then? Our people have lacked direct spiritual guidance for many years." Alfhild knew that a direct question was risky. Any shaman left alive would have gone into hiding or have been hidden. Moreso, the Orcs could easily have spies in this tavern, listening for any hint of a shaman. But she hoped her appeal to the spiritual needs of the Fenrir would at least endear her to this group because, despite her own distrust of strangers and worry about the rising alliance, three clans as one meant that it covered more land and, therefore, was more likely to know something about a shaman. Of course, this could all backfire and they then decide that I'm a spy, she thought with an internal grimace, but I'm ready for that. She had continued to eat while they had talked, keeping a solid grip on the carving knife she was using to cut her pork.

@Maeriel

His words stung her. She hadn't been thinking about the fact that Isaac could already be imprisoned by the time they got to him, but the Mage Hunters were on horseback; they would make far better time than she and the stranger. Ara also hadn't thought about the man's own entrance into the town, and she felt slightly guilty about it. He was helping her, for seemingly no benefit to himself and she hadn't even questioned it, nor thought about would become of him once she got to her target. She was bringing yet another person to their doom. But, she couldn't abandon the task now; she would never make it on her own. Ara needed this nameless man, she would just have to try and lose him when they got to the gates. He'd be better off without her. Still, the guilt of using him like this plagued her, adding to the shame already there.

Determination will carry her. That's what he had told her. Well, she was determined and if that was all it took, then she was sure life would have been a lot easier for a lot of people. Life, unfortunately, didn't work that way. Just because you want something and worked for it, didn't guarantee you the prize. Still, she took hope in his words.
His new positioned allowed her to loosen her grip and relax her aching muscles a little. The adrenaline was wearing thin, no longer enough to overcome her fatigue. She could feel the heaviness in her eyes, screaming for sleep. Ara shook her head aggressively; no time for rest.
"My sister," Ara mumbled, fighting the drowsiness, "we can find my sister. She'll help me."
The rhythmic bouncing of his steps did nothing but lull her closer to slumber. Must stay awake. Must.. save.. Isaa....
Her eyes drifted shut and her body grew limp, finally giving into her fatigue.

Vidar felt her fall into sleep. It was as if her worry and shame had slid slowly down a river, leaving behind clear and refreshing spring water. While he knew it was temporary, Vidar was glad that she slept. It had been evident to him that she needed it, but wouldn't allow it to be forced. Perhaps her dreams will guide her, he thought, they always seem to be ready to direct me. Although, they have been growing more and more discordant as of late. He puzzled over it for a moment before deciding that now was not the time for it. Vidar then turned his mind to the business of the distant future. A future that approached with each step he took towards the walls of Braedon in which lay his next challenge with humans. It was already fraught with danger enough, even without the rescue as it seemed that mages, or people with power unlike others, were being hunted. To some degree. Depending if they were guarded and controlled. This made the girl Vidar was carrying an anomaly. Why is she free to roam, but her Isaac is not? he thought, why not take her? He felt he could safely eliminate that she was a willing traitor; a person who sought out free mages and sold them to the danger. But perhaps there was a way they tracked the girl, perhaps through the red marks across her body. Or do they do something else entirely. Vidar wasn't worried about capture, not yet at least, as he could easily feel any approaching spirit before he would even see them.

Vidar quietly growled to himself. Perhaps her sister had some answers. The word itself was one Vidar interpreted as "female, blood pack-mate." Why humans needed to differentiate between male and female blood pack-mates was beyond him. It was then that Vidar realized that he was still thinking about the immediate, and not about the future, and then found it almost pointless to do so. His current best source of information was asleep on his back and he couldn't take the time to dream or meditate to try and gain a glimpse of the city. Certainly, he could try and scale the walls, sneak through a gate, or find a way to pay for entry as the girl had implied that there was some requirement to enter the city. So it seems that recon will be the first order upon arrival he thought. But that would have to wait until he could see the walls. Or until she woke up and he could get more than vague answers about the city. Nope, nothing to do but keep positive and make it to Braedon. Which, by his reckoning, the walls should come into view by the late afternoon. So he strode down the road, singing aimlessly, but softly, to himself as the fields rolled by.

@AJPhips

It was rather obvious that Terus highly doubted it was truly 'good' for the northerner woman to hear that there was a union forming in the south. His nod was demonstrative of the grace to accept her politeness. Erund measured her words carefully with his gaze, but Bass' eyes were on the tightly held blade in the woman's hand. Of the four, he seemed the one to treat Alfhild more akin to what she was used to, the disregard most Nord warriors had for thralls and their spawn, weaklings in their eyes. He had noted her grip however, and his stance was less nonchalant and more hulking, threatening barbarian.

There were exchanged looks traded between the others as Alfhild bluntly inquired about Shamans. The spiritual guides of the Nord had been so mercilessly hunted that the existence of any was a carefully guarded secret. Their reaction could be seen as a spark of hope, perhaps. Terus shifted for a moment and Erund leaned on his elbows over the table to regard Alfhild. His voice sounded, strong like a general in the field of battle. "Clearly you are not here to guide a Shaman alone through half the country to your clan's Jarl, not that anyone in the South would allow you to do so and deprive us of such an important figure. Why is it that you seek a shaman, girl? What makes a half-blood such as yourself set out alone and brave overwhelming odds to confer with the ancestors?"

They were his words, but everyone's curiosity and the eyes around the table turned to her. Terus arched an eyebrow and sipped from his drink, sitting back, the younger man had not expected Erund to speak out by the manner he reacted to the older man's words. Bass studied her carefully at the straightforward question posed. Deirdre's haunting eyes, strangely enough, were the most eager to hear her response, the woman carefully gazing, doing whatever she was doing under the table as her hands never ceased to work and fidget.

@Shadras

Back