The World Engine [Rewritten]

Jomber

Explorer
Benefactor
The World Engine

Throughout the Multiverse, a story constantly is told throughout. Whether heard from taverns or churches, written in books or plays, a place is said to exist between the planes of the Multiverse. The stories tell of great perils and challenges that lie in wait, but equally so of those who have returned victorious. Such heroes bring back astounding spoils, wealth just being one of them. Cures for incurable diseases, enchanted weapons to slay the most powerful of beasts, and even exoneration for heinous crimes. This, “World Engine,” as some call it, is not easy to enter. All across the Multiverse, multiple attempts have been made to enter. Robots have built portals, wizards have conjured rituals, and yet no concrete way has been found. Yet whether by fate, or a unique circumstance, some of these attempts have worked.

The World Engine is a structure floating within an empty blue void. From the outside, it looks akin to an unremarkable observatory. Two large double gates lead into the interior. The inside is that of a single massive singular room. Figurines are lined row by row around the perimeter, seemingly heading upwards for an eternity. Despite this, one can always find the figurine they are looking for. In the center is the telescope, peering up into the never-ending spiral of figurines. To the left is an archway, and to the right is an old-fashioned scale. The left side of the scale is gold and pristine, while the right is corroded and rusted. In the center is an hourglass, sand constantly dripping down but never filling or emptying. An ethereal Warden oversees all and maintains all of the devices. All of this serves the ultimate purpose of creating pocket dimensions. Within these dimensions is where adventurers hope to find what they seek.

To operate, one must first find their star by peering into the telescope, and then make a wish for what they most desire. A powerful thought, emotion, or memory will then overwhelm the user, good or bad, and will become the baseline for the world to be created. Next, figurines must be placed on the scale, although they must balance. Gold is beneficial, rust is detrimental. With more figurines added, the more the hourglass with crack, and the more the sand will drain. Less time, means the dimension will destabilize quicker. More time can be granted by placing an hourglass figure, but it must be balanced accordingly. Once completed, the archway will glow, but only the one who made the wish can activate it. Then, everyone may proceed. If time runs out, or everyone wishes to step out and reset the world, they are free to do so. However, the star cannot be changed, and all figurines placed may not be removed, although more can be added. Only once the wish is fulfilled can the next star be chosen.

There’s a catch to all of this however. Once you have entered the realm of the World Engine, you may not leave until all living members’ stars have been visited and completed. Only then you can leave... if you pass the Warden’s final test. The Warden’s star. It may or may not be kind depending on the actions one has taken.

Characters can be from many races and backgrounds, as anyone throughout the Multiverse has a chance of arriving, willingly or not. I will be the main one pushing events and interpreting the creation of the world. Sometimes the figurines/memories will be interpreted literally. Sometimes metaphorically. Sometimes mixed with each other. One does not always get what they aimed for, and thus some “resets” may be in order, or some clever workaround. Unless someone drops out, expect a pocket dimension for each participant, plus a final showdown.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Let me know!

Players
--------------
aryamajor
Korruption
marsbat

Last edited:
I don't think we need them. Obviously you'll need a wish and a powerful thought/memory, but I'm not sure if anything else is needed. You're free to make your own if you want.

much better then the last time! love the description! i'm definitely in, but thats not the question, the question is, who from the mighty realm of eris shall embark upon this journey?

Yeah. I still need to do a write up for the reboot. Still figuring out how to patch holes from the last campaign. I'll post here again when the official reboot is up.

If you want. You two already gave yours. I can post the guidelines I made.

Name: (Jen Eric)
Appearance: (An unremarkable canvas of a being)
History: (Was created for this character sheet)
Personality: (He’s happy until he isn’t. Then he’s mad because he is angry.)
Perks and Quirks: (You can paint on him. He can make the painting swim across his body. He also has a laser.)
Faults: (He melts when water touches him. Gets really mad when someone uses permanent marker.)
Other: (You aren’t constrained to this sheet. Add whatever you feel like.)

Back