A song for a kobold bard. Seeking aid for anyone who can help write music.

Royan

So I was making a kobold bard for a one-shot campaign for the fun of it, and I decided that he needed a theme song. Liniko the famous. A kobold who 'defied his evil calling' to rescue a town from the dragon he used to serve under......... Allegedly. Liniko didn't actually do the feats displayed in the tale, the truth is he fabricated a song catchy enough that it caught on and he managed to write his fame into the history books through magical performances that seemed very real and got his work published in the bard's college as fact, thanks to his skills in deception and persuasion, and his master performances.

However, I don't really know how to plot the different musical notes and how to end up actually creating the song. I have the tune in my head, I have the lyrics which I will put in a spoiler under this (and general tempo and idea of what I want to do with the instruments) but... I'd very much like this to actually be made into something very real for him to preform in the next campaign or one-shot I put him into. Any help would be appreciated!
Quick fun fact! Liniko is able to play 4 instruments, and does so like a one man band. Guitar, flute, drums, and lute. Strangely enough not a lyre, he just wrote that in because it rhymed! He uses a mage hand to ply the flute at the same time as the guitar, and he uses his tail to play the drums. Carrying everything in his bag of holding. The lute in particular is honestly just to play his Doss lute, and I intend to cycle it with something else, perhaps like a violin, depending on the setting. Making very liberal use of spells like thaumaturgy, prestidigitation, and minor illusion to give off magical effects to show what happens during the performance.

A tale retold by yours truly, Liniko the famous. Famous for what you ask? Well, let me tell you! His tail hitting the drum in a bouncing version of a march beat before he starts gently picking at the guitar for a gentle bouncing ride for a few moments, before a grand full chord is played to intro the lyrics after a crowd is gathered. There is a small flute solo played before the lyrics begin, mostly calling to the chorus.

There is a town far up in the north, that sings of this young kobold’s tale
Once ruled by a dragon, fearsome and strong, it bled them all dry ‘til they wailed.
Answering their cries, from the dragon’s own host
This kobold they sing of, to him they still toast

Linkiko the famous! He led them all
Betrayer of evil has answered the call
His songs inspire us all

The song starts to pick up and become more lively after the chorus with a more constant background beat and guitar strumming.

The kobold he saw the atrocities wrought
How his kin pillaged and raped all that they caught
So he turned on the evil that burned deep down inside

As they planned their next raid he left in the dark
To warn that this town, was their next mark
And in his song they took courage help finally had come

The townsfolk were armed with just tools and their might
And it was then the dragon took flight
As the host charged in and began their raid on their town
The music then gets low again, with a small interlood.

Smoke filled the sky
The townsmen all cried
But their wills were resolved by the kobold’s spirit and song

The song picks again up for the chorus

His songs inspire us all

As the kobold sung the smoke disappeared
The dragon, in its eyes, first signs of fear
A great roar rang out as the dragon charged for the kill

But the peasants they rallied as the hero inspired
He grounded the dragon with the tune from his lyre
Held down by his song the dragon they managed to slay

His songs inspire us all

Now Liniko still roams these lands with his tunes
If you’re lucky he may even be singing to you
The tale of the kobold who defied evil’s call!

His songs inspire us all
The music stops for the last, long drawn-out outro
His songs…. Inspire…. Us all……..

Criticism and helps on improving the general rhyming scheme of the song is welcome to! It isn't perfect, I never had written something like a song before. I mainly wanted it to have that old-time bardsong feel. The things you'd play in taverns and whatnot. So I didn't go for a perfect ryhming scheme or anything, focusing more on conveying a story then being completely perfect in the sense of sylable count and rhyme.

Last edited:
Back