Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Narita

Big Brother

Grand Confessor
as written by barney_fife, Script, and Tiko

It was midday in the Sato shogunate palace, with the emergency session underway, it was fairly apparent what was to be discussed. With the earthquake and subsequent meltdown of the ShinTen electric power company's New Port reactor, and the drought in Volaria. Food was scarce, disease and famine were rampant in both countries, and the food riots only continued to get worse.

Sato sat silently at the head of the table, a large map of Valore splayed out before them.

"We all know why we are here." Sato explained. "We've heard nothing from the AXIS and there hasn't been a food shipment in almost a year. We need to do something or we're all going to starve."

Kaida nodded her head. Whilst Losenji had been faring better than its neighbours in terms of food due to their smaller population, the rise of attacks by strange dark spirits across the island nation had the entire populace on edge. In places, entire crops had failed with no clear cause, and an almost unprecedented rise in aggression from the coastal naga tribes had been hindering the fishing industry to no end. "The situation is dire." she agreed, "And we have few options available to us."

"Volaria has heard nothing from the ships we sent to investigate the situation within the Andromeda Galaxy," Avantia added heavily. "I fear we are on our own. And without the resources of the AXIS, we lack the necessary ships to began a concerted effort to seek solutions off world."

Sato nodded. "My military advisers have begun to suggest we seek our solution here.." she said gesturing to the Eastlands on the map. "The population is sparse and the land is fertile." Sato said. "But I do not think the TNG will share the land freely, what I propose is the formation of a new supranational organization, the Greater Shintenchi Co Prosperity Sphere, combining our militaries, I advise we consider seizing these lands by force. The survival of our nations depends on it."

"Sparse as it may be... we're still looking at numbers into the millions that would be displaced by our actions," Avantia countered. "Civilians."

It wasn't a no, but neither did she seem to be rushing forward blindly at the prospect of war. The matter weighed hard on the young Matriarch.

Kaida's mouth tightened at Sato's words. "An invasion is a drastic measure." she stated, though her tone did not make it clear whether she counted that as a negative. "Notwithstanding the strained relationship between Shintenchi as a whole and the TNG, my own dealings them have remained peaceable. This would, in no uncertain terms, be an unprovoked act of aggression on the part of Losenji."

Sato offered a slight frown. "Displacing millions of civilians is a preferable alternative to billions of our own people starving to death. Our food store is almost dry, and we've had to ration what little we have. People are murdering each other over cans of dog food." The shogun pleaded. "I am sworn to do what's best for my people." Sato added, lowering herself into her seat. "The TNG has offered no help, nor would I want to rely on them, because any help would be at the expense of our national identity and sovereignty."

Kaida's expression was grim, and she remained silent for several long moments. "You make the assumption that aid would come at that cost. I do not believe that we have specifically broached the matter with them." she stated, before hesitating. "That said... my intelligence from within the TNG would suggest they too are suffering from a strange increase in natural - and supernatural - disasters. In light of that, I doubt that they would consider themselves in a position to lend assistance, irrespective of the form or expense."

"Foreign aid would only be a temporary bandage anyway, we need a permanent solution and that solution is to seize more land," Sato replied.

Avantia pursed her lips as she stared at the map before she too spoke once more.

"If we were to commit to this," Avantia said carefully. "I want minimal civilian casualties. Volaria will not condone, nor support the genocide of a foreign peoples. We will target military installations, and the Terrans who reside within these lands will be afforded citizenship should they wish it, or safe passage west."

Avantia knew full well that there was no way to avoid civilians being caught in the crossfire, but neither would she condone them being slaughtered deliberately.

"I can warn the TNG to withdraw their military and citizenry from the land in question so a peaceful solution can be had, if collateral is a concern. Those that remain behind could become citizens." Sato agreed. "If the TNG refuses though, this can only lead down one path," Sato warned.

"I fear that I could not commit any of Losenji's military to supporting a war effort if this were to go ahead. However... in a situation where this action is deemed a necessity, I would see to it that the Imperium provides what aid it can, in the form of resources and intelligence." Kaida said, speaking hesitantly.

"I will put the matter before my military advisers," Avantia offered finally. "In the meanwhile I would know more of this Greater Shintenchi Co Prosperity Sphere," she continued.

"The foundation is very similar to how the AXIS runs things, by ensuring freedom of movement, a common currency, and free trade among all nations to better show our solidarity. In the absence of the AXIS itself." Sato explained. "We would be part of one supranational government, coherent in matters of trade and defense." Sato said.

She slowly slid a document towards both Kaida and Avantia. "Here are the details."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back