Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Nasazura's Rest: Training Yard

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Script

Tentative footsteps brought Kallis forward from where he'd been lingering just out of sight, or perhaps just out of mind, of the combatants in the yard. One was easily confused for the other, given that for the most part the latter happened subconsciously. It wasn't quite invisibility, but when he didn't want to be seen, people tended to just ... overlook him.

He hadn't been sure whether he should disturb the ongoing spar, but when Ritza had arrived, he'd taken it as cue to move into view. His dual blades hung at his sides, sheathed, but his hands hovered at their hilts, ready to draw should he be drawn into the session in the same manner as the other new recruit.

It was certainly a far cry from the structured, disciplined sparring sessions with his teachers at the monastery. There, his lessons had been formal; as much about form as efficiency. There'd been regular pauses to correct his stance, his grip, to chide him for over-aggression... Somehow he doubted such would be the case here.

He stopped at the edge of the yard, hesitant again to interrupt.

as written by Emperor Jester

Hendrik, having forgone breakfast, was the next to arrive after Kallis. He arrived almost silently, despite his large frame, flapping coat, and heavy, iron lined boots. Anyone with an ear that could recognized prowess knew that eliminating the noise from ones steps wasn't something one did accidentally. That had to be trained into a person. Could it be that despite his quiet, withdrawn, scholarly nature, there was more to the young biomage than would appear at first glance? What sort of experience with combat could a medic this young possibly have?

"...Do you know if there is a place for cardio? I am aware you are as new as I, but I am hoping you know the answer."

He stood stooped forward, but head held straight up. It certainly looked like it would be an uncomfortable way to carry one's self. It was almost as if his entire upper body was weighed down, and he was struggling to lift it. With how dark those racoon masks around his eyes were, perhaps it was a severe case of sleep deprivation that ailed young Dr. Keitel.

as written by duramon

Jogging up behind Hendrik was the Undead Noche, lost in her own little world with a piece of meat held between her teeth. The woman was lost in a little self pep-talk, or rather a pep-talk with her other self. This morning she'd opted for a clean tank-top and sweatpants, and a hoodie was tied by the sleeves around her waist, her gloves were already slipped on and she hopped from side to side on the spot for a moment.

'Alright soul, you like me, I like you, we do fun things. We're in the mother of all RPG havens, and there's a...' She looked up and saw the ghost fighter, containing herself at melting when he grumbled "An enemy won't wait for you to ready yourself!" 'Shit, it's perfect, there's a ghost and he wants to fight things. Calm down Noche, calm down. Soul, we need to impress, so name your price later and back me up. There's a friggin' GHOST with a BIG SWORD, we NEED to get in on this!' She smashed her knuckles together to bring herself back into the present, a good luck charm for before a fight.

She looked to Hendrik and Kallis and checked them up and down, speaking fast."Hey there, I'm Noche, orc, beefcake, potential friend." She untied her hoodie to hold in her hand and took a deep breath in, small flower tattoo's blooming across her arms and neck, continuing under her clothing. "If you don't mind if I skip the queue I'm going to see if I can rile up old ironsides." She announced quietly, taking a step forward and stretching her arms behind her back. "Aaah geez, I need to blow off some steam, I'm all stiff." She complained, stepping away from the pair.

She let out a heavy yawn and flopped the hoodie over one shoulder, sitting down with her legs outstretched in front of her and loudly chewing on her meaty snack that had openly hung off one tusk during her conversation, one arm resting on the ground behind her back. She looked utterly unimpressed, unalert, ignorant even.

Hopefully that would rub the taskmaster just enough in the wrong direction to attract reprimand.

as written by Lobos

Striding towards the gathering crowd, Joshua peered past them at the demonstration in play. Flat eyes studied the combat carefully, keenly even, even as he slid his hands into his pockets nonchalantly. He'd seen it before.

Despite what he was, his appearance was fairly ordinary. Lighter clothing than what would be the normal for this climate, but the mind found ways to ignore such details in the presence of the strange and new. Remarkably solid, though he'd long had the practice to unconsciously maintain the concentration that kept people staring at him, rather than through him. His expression was of one detached, studious and not particularly inviting conversation.

Coming up to the rear of those already there, he veered to the right, finding a place where his view was unobstructed. Still uneasy in other's company, he paid the other recruits no mind as he continued to observe.

as written by Script

"I'm not-" Kallis had scarcely begun to answer Hendrik when Noche barrelled into the conversation. The younger boy's lips thinned almost imperceptibly as she spoke. It was becoming apparent that there were several somewhat... forceful personalities than he was used to amongst his fellow initiates. The orc ghoul's sloppy appearance and lackadaisical attitude rubbed him the wrong way immediately. It had done for the entire journey to the temple, although there it had been tempered somewhat by the rigours of travel.

"I don't believe this is a queue, Noche," he answered once she had finished. He kept his tone neutral, so as not to betray his irritation. It wouldn't do to antagonise her, and no doubt he'd get used to her in time. "Dame Shelby described this as a demonstration. I don't expect we're all going to be invited to participate."

He folded his arms across his chest as the orc slouched down, not quite keeping the frown from his face. Again, however, he refrained from comment. It wasn't his place.

The combat demonstration continued, with Brent showing no sign of acknowledging Noche's attitude. Despite Ritza and Rayen having the advantage of numbers, it was obvious that Brent had them outmatched. The two girls displayed plenty of skill, as their blades danced with the instructor's, but up against what Kallis presumed was the experience of more than one lifetime, it was no surprise that it was all they could do to hold their own.

All the while he was watching, Kallis continued to try and ignore the obnoxious crunching and squishing noises coming from Noche's eating. His lips grew steadily thinner as he did his best not to show his frustation, but after a particularly revolting burp, he snapped.

"Must you?" he hissed under his breath, leering down at her.

Hendrik had been hoping for a quick answer, but the interruption provided by Noche soon cut that possibility short. Still, despite his obvious size advantage, and the fact that he had been in the middle of an inquiry, the young biomage felt himself shrink back from the much more aggressive personality. Among many things, it was one of the flaws he hoped to improve during his time at the temple, but for now, it didn't so much as cross his mind, not when placed in the path of long standing, almost indoctrinated behavior. So, he let his question fall flat, but did not entirely retreat from the conversation.

"I'm not too...terribly interested in any physical training beyond the basics...I've already learned enough, or at least, thats what my handler told me..."

Though some might not know what it meant, handler was as close a word to describe his old agent as he could get. The man had taught Hendrik how to defend himself, how to cure the sick, heal the wounded, punish the wicked, and most importantly, had encouraged his youthful mind to grow beyond science, and look at the arcane for potential solutions as well. "Although, if this is a demonstration then I suppose I shouldn't ignore it."

as written by duramon

Noche wiped her lips clean and shot a brief toothy smirk at Kallis, sitting up a little and allowing her eyes to follow the demonstration more attentively.

"I must, yes. Seeing as I'm out of meat, and I managed to rile up an old ironsides however, I think I'm sadly done." She returned, shifting on the cold hard ground so that she could put her hoodie under herself. Just because she was dead, didn't mean she couldn't feel discomfort, nobody likes cold concrete on the butt, nobody.

"I had hoped for a demonstration with a bit more of a 'test your mettle' flair to it, but by action-adventure standards unless a horrific monster attacks were sitting at a 4 on the scale of epic. I guess I'll go for ditto to you. quiet man in the giant coat." She hunkered down a little, looking a little down-trodden that she'd been unable to experience what she'd apparently been attempting to generate.

"Ditto to you..." She sighed out, studying the fight with a keen, but bored, eye. Her interest was born of necessity, not excitement now, and it showed with her slouch and her head resting on her arm and knee.

At least the ghost is still cool. She grumbled internally.

as written by Sentry

As Kamini entered the training yard, she was surprised to see that a few others had gotten there ahead of her. She had stopped for a morsel, sure, but she thought everyone else had taken to the tables for a seat and a chat. There was more interest than she had expected. Still, that wasn't at all a bad thing. She hadn't once spoken to any of the other students here. Perhaps the demonstration would offer a favorable time to connect.

as written by Script

"I wouldn't pass judgement so quickly," Kallis replied to Noche. "I expect there's more to this demonstration that's to come once the others arrive."

He turned back to Hendrik, then, shrugging. "To my understanding, we're not required to attend those lessons that don't interest us," he said simply. "So the choice is yours. But I'm of the belief that there is never a point where one has 'learned enough'. There is always more to learn."

as written by Tiko

The demonstration continued on with fervent intensity and it was beginning to show in the two girls engaged with Brent. Ritza who initially showed more discipline and expertise was swiftly beginning to lag behind Rayen. Despite her apparent physical fitness, she was panting heavily and struggling to keep her sword up. The higher altitude was taking its toll on Ritza, whereas Rayen had been at the temple for several weeks now and had already begun to adjust on a physiological level. It was giving her the stamina to outlast Ritza.

Meanwhile as the minutes wore on, the others began to trickle their way into arriving.

as written by Script

"There actually wasn't any formalised teaching before you guys got here," Ari was saying as he, Priscilla and Jake approached the training yard. "Some of the wardens had time to show me some stuff, but there was nothing like a schedule, or classes, or demonstrations like this. I guess they're upping their game for the new wave of students. Wasn't long ago that it was just me and a couple others here."

He took note of the sparring taking place, watching with interest as blows were being exchanged. "Looks like they started already! They weren't kidding about dawn, huh?"

Hendrik would've begun to speak in his normal quiet manner, but found himself needing to speak up slightly to properly answer Kallis. "Well, if that is truly how it works, than please, excuse me." The tall youth would bow at the wait, only ever so slightly, but enough so that his collar drooped for a moment. Some one with quick, keen eyes would be able to spot some pretty serious burn damage, and possibly exposed jaw bone in the lightning quick flash. He'd then turn away from the group, eager to escape the coming swarm of peers.

If uncontested in his attempt to retreat, the doctor would begin a brisk jog around the training yard, doing his best to give anyone who approached wide birth without getting in the way of any of the other's training. It was important to start the morning with cardio. Good for the heart.

as written by glmstr

"Really?" The blonde cocked her head slightly to the side and raised an eyebrow at Ari's statement. So, you're telling me that they not only called almost a dozen new trainees but also are just now adding organized training?" Her mother had told her the church back home has done so more than once to induct new members into the Order, particularly during the skirmishes just half a century ago. "Makes you wonder if they're preparing for something."

Priscilla shivered as the frigid mountain air bit into her sides in a particularly strong gust. The witch-child clapped her hands together and rubbed her palms against one another for a few seconds. Upon pulling them apart a gentle ball of flame flickered to life and floated lazily between her hands to provide at least some warmth to herself.

as written by birdee10

Jake followed them into the yard. "I wouldn't be surprised if they were. After everything that's happened." He said glancing at Priscilla and her little flame. He returned his attention back to the fighting. "What do we do now? Just watch?"

Back