Not open for further replies.

Yun Lee

The Sculptor
Administrator
The Convergence Series GM
Staff Member on Hiatus
(Written by Ringmaster and @Jeremi )

Part One: The Pledge

Oddly enough, I rather enjoyed the House of Mystery. Maybe it was a taste of home in the magic inherent in its atmosphere that I sensed whenever I came close. Maybe it was the fact that scattered among the members, I found familiar faces and I could pretend if even for a moment, that my friends were alive and well. Or maybe it was just down to my personal taste in friends and the people I knew. Sabrina, back when she was alive used to prod me when I had off time. Elizabeth too... They didn't deserve what happened to them. Of course, that didn't go both ways, at least not entirely. Not everyone appreciated my presence as a member, even with folks like Zatanna vouching for me. I understood perfectly, I really did. It was like seeing a gorilla in the same hotspring, like finding a discordant note in the symphony you were listening to.

On a deep, primal level it had everything to do with Magic.

Not magic as in the type of spells they could cast or the variety, but rather Magic as a whole. It was traditional and its rules were engraved in the passing of centuries. You've heard the stories at some point, right? Three witches on the heath, the Maiden, the Mother and the Crone. That sort of thing. I guess it didn't help much either that the last priest like me turned out to be some nihilist who pulled a Murder Game of his own. That kind of thing seems to stick with people, and I've learned to wear my cross beneath my clothes as a result. No sense picking a fight for no reason.

That and I can't cast magic at all. I never learned and never really had the inclination to learn the more complex spells. To do would require me to leave the Multiversal Emergency Unit and remain base-bound for years in apprenticeship. Years that would have been better spent using the skills I did have for the good of my cause. Which brings me back to what exactly, I do for the M.E.U. as a whole.

I'm not a wizard. I sure as hell aren't a witch. Nor warlock, sorcerer or summoner. I've seen my share of battles and I've hunted most things that hunt you, supernatural and otherwise. But those were a dime a dozen in the organizations we allied ourselves in. No, what I brought was something that added a new dimension to the casters of the House of Mystery.

Where others fought like mages or warriors, I fought like a detective. I saw the things no one else saw, heard the whispers missed by everyone else. I couldn't so much as produce a fireball at a monster, but I could identify it with a few clues beforehand and during. I dunno.

Maybe they just liked me as a mascot? All I know is that eventually, they more or less accepted me as their own and I've tried to remain worthy of those friends I still have around here since.

Which is why I waited at the door, with my new friend in tow who had been growing steadily more impatient the more we stood. Saber Alter scowled and spoke in a low growl.

"Why must we wait so? The messenger surely delivered the news we were here by now!"

"They did." I said absently before adding with a shrug."They're just testing us right now."

"Do they not trust you? Your own people?"
Saber smiled coldly, her gold eyes reminding me of my partner currently on her own missions. I missed her, I really did. She was a tall amazon of a woman, with the most amazing grey eyes and a formerly emotionless mask that had cracked, reflecting the woman beneath. I hadn't trusted someone like her since...Well, since the past. She was the best friend I had in a while now.

I wonder what she'd think of Saber, who seemed impatient with me the more I reminisced. Finally, I sighed out and spoke. "Its politics. They just like to push me, see how much I take from them. Mostly, I ignore it. I have no quarrel with them and we're in no danger now. Patience is a wonderful trait in times like this."

Saber pouted. "Witches were burned at the stake for less insolence in my time as King." I merely nodded, unwilling to continue the conversation. I knew of Saber- Both from my own world as well as the records of the Games that had passed down, describing a knight in silver and blue. Though superficially she resembled one such as those in the records, it was there the likeness ended. Among other things...For one, the sword I pulled on her making her flinch. Her weakness in comparison to the stories. She was skilled, no doubt...But the power was strangely absent and she seemed to have no trouble doing what she liked. Saber she may have called herself. But a Servant class spirit, she was not. Which begged the question...What was she?

Why did Locus and his team leave her crying alone in the dock? Why hadn't she gotten the command to kill herself to hide secrets? I eyed her- Currently dressed in a nun outfit, arms crossed as she tapped her foot and index finger. I may have wrangled an oath from her and she may have been obedient to my commands for now.

But if she was dangerous, I couldn't afford to let her in till acknowledged by an actual magus of power.

So better to wait, then for people to get hurt.

..... So with this in mind, I took out a silver dollar and began to perform stage tricks. Making it vanish, flick from hand-to-sleeve, all in the name of my niche. I may not be able to cast magic.

But at the least, I could understand the foundation and the principles.
The entrance to the House of Mysteries would open and reveal a quite fetching lady in a top hat and fishnet stockings.

ZatannaHello_zpsjzlpdwkd.png

"Hello, Lucifer."

It was quite rare for one of the Coven to open the door for a freelancer, but then again Zatanna was a rare one in her own right. "And Saber, or do you prefer Artoria?" While Zatanna had been around the block a few times the fact that female king Arthur's existed had her chuckling slightly.

"I take it you're here because of her? Come on in, and mind the gap. The House has been...acting up as of late."

Zatanna Zatara.

A smile despite itself flashed over my features in response to the real warmth she exuded. She was one of the few allies I could also call friend around here. Someone who saw beyond my gender and well...My blood. Maybe it was experience? I heard she knew another kind of bat, but I never did have much truck for rumors. Seeing her was always nice for me though and with a bow of my head, I stepped inside the House of Mystery. The invitation, given.

Alter unfortunately, seemed downright thrilled to finally meet someone to snap at.

"How dare you leave us standing out here for so long? Is this the courtesy of the magi of this era? We had been standing for three hours, at the whims of those who-"

"-Its fine."

I emphasized and to my surprise, Saber grunted and crossed her arms, pouting. It was strangely....Adorable? I shook the thought out of my head and turned to Zatanna as I spoke.

"Sorry. If anything happens, I'll claim responsibility. As it is though, I am glad to see you. Means I can cut out the middle-woman."

Hands in my pockets, I walked in step and explained what I had found out. "I was called in to a prison off the records- Coalition involved, for hiding away mystic practitioners. They wanted an M.E.U. member to examine it and I was the closest."

What he was especially curious about though, was why they didn't hear about it till they had no choice. Lucifer didn't like it- He could read the signs, see the way the wind was blowing. But that would wait as he continued on.

"They were so intent on making sure no one magical broke out or in, they missed out on a glaring loophole...Mundane means. At least five people, all folks with a very powerful array of skills. They left her behind." He gestured towards Saber, who was trying her best not to be curious about her surroundings and failing. He frowned and continued.

"....She was crying. She felt absolutely wrong to my senses, but she was crying. So I made a gamble with my life, long story short shes with me now. I know we've had people like her before...But I don't think shes like them. Skills right, but the reaction and strength is all wrong. That and she hasn't faded or been commanded to kill herself- Seems odd, doesn't it?"

I eyed the magician next to me as I said quietly.

"I decided then to bring her directly here, instead of the WAND division. Way things are going, I think she'd just complicate things for em....And I'd rather she felt less threatened coming in."

"Ah yes. The Servants. It's interesting I guess, using famous people as bodyguards." Zatanna replied giving Saber Alter a look over. "Well if you have magical woes you've come to the right place."

Zatanna skirted the issue, but it wasn't happenstance for her to be at the door when Lucifer came a knocking. "Come on, let's go some place to try and figure this out. You too your majesty." The magician replied giving Saber a mock bow before beckoning them both to follow.

"I will be honest..." Zatanna spoke breaking the silence from what seemed to be a very long and narrow corridor. It was as if the House itself was trying to keep them from their destination. "Once I figured out it was you on the other side of the door I thought it was best to come and get you. As you know we've had some...differing opinion about hired help of the...male persuasion, as of late."

"It would have been worse if I actually knew magic." Lucifer said with a somewhat characteristic sad smile. It all came back to ritual and to rules...That and his supporters were few now. Sabrina was dead, eaten alive from the inside out by a power she didn't understand. Elizabeth...Dead trying to help him on a lead to Yomi. Zatanna was a Coven member and high on the hierarchy, but she was just one. Wanda...Well, he hadn't seen Wanda in a while either. He sighed aloud and spoke.

"I know I joined only to keep an eye on my friends at first... But it feels now like home, despite everything. This was where they were happy, where they studied and where they dreamed of a better world, connected by their powers and gifts. I'd leave if they asked me straight out- I don't want trouble, but till then I'd rather...I'd like to honor their memory, doing what I can here. Does that make sense Zatanna?"

His smile turned twisted briefly.

"Because now that I say it aloud, it sounds horribly convoluted to me."

"I get it." Said Zatanna smiling at Lucifer. "Just don't mess with Morrigan and you can, even if begrudgingly from her point of view, stay." She continued to walk before turning back realizing something.

"Not the green haired one, the black haired one. The green haired Morrigan's like that to everyone...I think." She added before sighing in frustration. "Ugh, pretty sure this corridor isn't suppose to be this long."

"I've yet to meet her, beyond that first meeting when you vouched for me. I'd like to keep it that way, if only to keep the peace." He said with a smile. Strange how these things worked out...Hardly anyone would have pegged Lucifer for a violent man, until they saw him in a fight. Then he seemed to switch off, his eyes grew hard and calculating as he drew on experience and skills he had spent a long time developing. Bid the awkward, polite man goodbye....And enter the Executor. But he never sought out a fight, if he could help it. Not the verbal sort anyway.

Why rock the boat if you're in it too?

He sighed out at the news before frowning. "Odd. Maybe its me- Or maybe its her." He gestured behind him at Saber, who had devolved into silence as she frowned thoughtfully."Maybe whatever she is, the House doesn't like her? Who were we going to see who could identify her?"

"A woman named Harold." Zatanna responded. "And yeah, I made that joke to her the first time I met her...she didn't really care. Fair warning she's not much of a people person..."

Finally the corridor would turn to the left and soon enough the trio would find themselves in the research room of the building. Zatanna would stop them from entering. "Fair warning. Don't eat or drink anything she gives you. Thank me later." With that she opened the door.

Inside they would find a short girl working on some sort of experiment, oblivious to the people who just entered her den."Harold!" Zatanna finally shouted to get her attention.

Even with that the turn towards them was slow.

latest

"Oh Zatanna...is this the test subject?" She asked hopefully.

"The woman you are going to figure out what she actually is, yes." Zatanna corrected her. "Lucifer, Saber, meet Harold Berselius. She's our resident magical...uh well scientist I guess."

"Talk is cheap, get that girl on the table so I can get a closer look at her." Harold replied clapping the slab at the middle on the room beckoning Saber Alter to lay down.

bc89793967d16799ed9f57cff3348791.jpg

The look in Saber Alters eyes was answer enough, but Lucifer was more alarmed by the outfit change. From her nun outfit to her armor, as though prepped for a fight. Not the best idea here and he spoke sternly.

"Saber. Is this how you pay back your debt? How you conduct your service? Do not lay a hand on anyone here- They won't hurt you."

It was a small, quiet thing. Hardly perceptible but with Lucifer's eyes, there was a faint tremor. Something revealing and one she was trying her hardest to suppress, looking not at Harold.

But rather, at the examination table.

Lucifer cursed inwardly for his foolhardiness as he cleared his throat.

"....Would you like me or Zatanna to hold your hand-"

"-I do not require such base acts of affection!" Saber Alter snapped, glowering now as she stomped to the table and hopped on.

In full armor plate.

Thankfully, the table held as she clutched the edges and glared.

"....Conduct your examination leech. But know I will not tolerate attacks upon my person."

Artoria's outburst would only make Harold giggle.

"Hehehe...you wouldn't even know if it was happening." She'd flip a switch on the ground which caused some sort of mechanical device to lower down from the ceiling.

"Now let auntie Harold take care of you...also don't move unless you want to be fried by ethereal energies."

Wait, wat. The briefly worried look would flick over Saber Alters expression, before she went stock still.

With that the machine would burst to life and a light would shine down on Saber Alter to scan her on all considerable levels.

Zatanna would look on arms folded at the investigation. "What do you expect to find?" She replied slightly hushed to Lucifer. "She's a bucket full of sunshine isn't she?"

Lucifer was concerned as he eyed her throat, her eyes...Every little detail telling him everything he needed to know. Enough so that when Zatanna spoke to him, he was ready with a low rejoinder.

"Shes afraid...You can see it in her breathing, in her way her eye twitches on the table. She associates the examination with pain and fear and it affects her. I don't know what exactly we'll find...But shes not human. And shes not servant. I just want to know what we're dealing with. Beyond that?"

He was quiet for a moment before he said softly.

"She could have killed me in my sleep, but didn't. She could have gone back on her word, but refused. Her comrades left her crying and abandoned and well...I couldn't leave her like that. Much less at WAND mercy."

He threw another sad smile.

"Might have been harder for all involved, but this was the right thing. I'm sure of it."

"You're such a bleeding heart." Zatanna joked, knowing had she been in his situation then she would've know doubt done the same and brought her here.

"The important thing is that we have her now. Whatever she is the M.E.U. are not going to let her end up in whoever created her."

Harold meanwhile would still be scanning and looked transfixed on the numbers popping up on the screen. "Oh boy...I can taste the scope of this! You truly are a fascinating specimen..."

"I am no ones specimen."

Saber Alter said quietly, the air vibrating with the intensity of her words. Metal creaked with the clutch of her hand squeezing into a fist and Lucfer stepped forward. "You're not...I promise. Ma'am, what is it? What did you discover?"

Harolds reaction was startling. And throwing an uneasy glance with Zatanna, he prepared himself for the worst.

Harold wouldn't beat around the bush and just responded to Lucifer. "What's the word I'm looking for...she's...emotions."

"Come again?" Zatanna asked the resident scientist.

"Negative ones to be exact! Made flesh! A despair...golem as it were. Her use...more than likely a weapon."

"But why give her the form that she got?"

Harold just shrugged. "I guess that's something you need to take up with her creator now isn't it?"

There was only one particular group that dealt with that sort of power. Who had used it in the past, though never to this particular extent. Those who delighted in turning friends against each other. He had hunted them before...And lost friends in doing so. Sabrinas face flashed across his mind, standing in the ruins of a dead city as she crowed with triumph, before he plunged his weapon into her heart. Tzeentch's grasp on her released at the last, to better drive in his own grief at what he wrought.

He thought of Elizabeth's death, the rift that had sucked her in where he lost a hand, seeing her scream as she fell away. And then there was the past records themselves, depicting the Order. Time and again, they seemed to come back to these monsters and their ilk.

But.....

Lucifer looked at Saber Alter, who was currently staring at her hands in her lap now that she was revealed for what she was. He thought of her tears and the way she acted...Before finally saying quietly.

"If she was a weapon, it was a failure for them. Thats why they left her behind. You may not be Arturia...But they gave you her shape. Her skills...And I'm willing to bet, her memories. Didn't they?"

Saber Alter looked up, glaring at Zatanna and Lucifer as tears threatened to spill.

And then a quiet look of resignation passed over her face as she looked glumly down at her hands again.

"....Yes. They did. I am a weapon- The first of my kind, harvested from the Black Creation and spun into...This. They selected Servants for their skills and experience. I was the first successful product...But when I left...I couldn't. I couldn't strike down anyone, despite orders. There was no honor in it. And so the green-armored man shot me and left me to die."

"Locus." Muttered Lucifer, thinking about his meeting with the mercenary himself as he rubbed his jaw.

"So now you know. I am a personification of your organizations worse enemy. Build from a lifeforce anathema to all you stand for." Saber Alter raised her chin defiantly. "What will you do with me now that you know?"

"Well if you asked around then we'd probably have to melt you back down to your basic components, but if you ask me." Zatanna pointed at Lucifer's. "You're his problem now, worst enemy or not."

A sly smile aimed at both Lucifer and Saber Alter. "Besides you seem to be all bark and no bite anyway so..."

"Ooooh, does that mean I can run more tests on her?" Harold replied hopefully.

"Well check ups..."

Saber Alter flared and would have leaped up at the insinuation, before suddenly freezing as Lucifer said simply."What do we call you then?" Confusion took the place of anger as she stared at Lucifer, the latter with his arms crossed before speaking.

"You'll need a name. If you want to keep the moniker of Saber, that's fine. But a name should mean something beyond the weapon they envisioned for you." Saber was at a loss for words, considering before she frowned and tilted her chin up. With a calm majesty, she spoke.

"I am Arturia. Implanted though my memories are, I will make them and that name my own." Lucifer smiled in reply before he glanced at Zatanna. "That said...People really will be after her, if they know what she is. I'll be hard pressed to defend her, if that's the case. Dr. Harold." He turned his stare back to her as he spoke.

"Could I count on you as well, so long as I return as often as possible to run tests? To show willing cooperation as well as the fact that she's not a threat." At least, not to them.

Harold's eyes would go all star eyed at the suggestion for more tests. "Yes! Yes! Yes! I vote for this to be what we'll do!"

Zatanna rolled her eyes at Harold's outburst. "Don't worry about it Lucifer. I'll get some of the Coven and we'll talk to Morrigan...she's not going to like it, but she'll do it all the same."

Harold would look over to Arturia with a smile on her face."We're going to become best friends soon enough."

Arturia's expression didn't change, but she made the smallest of steps in the opposite direction from Harold, the plate armor clinking as she did. Lucifer hid a smile as he addressed Zatanna.

"Thank you Zatanna. I appreciate this." A thought suddenly occurred to him though, brought on by an offhand comment from Harold as he asked Arturia.

"I hate to ask if it causes pain, but I need to know...Is there anything you remember about your creation. Anyone you could tell us?" Arturia looked startled at first, before pained as she looked at her feet. A moment later, she said quietly.

"I remember the roar of a crowd. Applause, darkness...And a man. No- A monster!" Fear flickered in those eyes again as she shuddered. "...There was a sign when he sent his men to pick me up. A neon sign, garish and gaudy."

"Is it possible we could examine this memory? With permission?" Lucifer asked. Arturia paused for a long moment before breathing out as she nodded. An act of trust that Lucifer hoped would not be disappointed as he looked at Zatanna.

"If we could find the place she was made, we could discover more on the process...And stop it in its tracks."

"Well my schedule's free, I'm sure I can rope some other people along to help." Despite everything going on in the M.E.U. right now, if opposing forces are working to create more beings like Arturia.

"Here let me give it a try." Conjuring up her wand she'd give it a little wave and pointed it Arturia. "!teg yromem"

Arturia stiffened and within the mind, the memory flashed across Zatanna's senses as though she was present there herself.

1*kkvMTSu1OYpMuDBIYffIKw.jpeg

A great city, garish and bright with pyramids radiating halos of light. The constant noise, the stench of technology rampant. A sign advertising a magic show with a familiar face upon it to Zatanna.

A flash and then there was pain. Bright light and a sore throat as a cane tapped impatiently out of sight.

"-Well then Mr. Kadabra, I'm not seeing any progress."

Another flash and a brief glimpse, a feel of deep horror. A room full of identical Sabers, all dead from various wounds.

Then darkness fell...And the voices spoke.

"Success? Finally?"

"Subject number 56 or so I believe."

"Good. Take her with the others. We'll see how well they operate in the field."

"Finally! A chance to blow this joint! New Detroit blows."

The memory ended and Arturia let out a heavy sigh.

Lucifer looked worriedly to both, prepared to step forth to help either one if they needed him.

While dazed Zatanna was otherwise okay. "T-That was something..." She replied turning towards Lucifer. "Seems like they really wanted their Saber army...but at least we got a location. A place called New Detroit. And if it's anything like regular Detroit we'll probably have a bad time there."

"...You puzzle me." They really did. The doctor was easy enough to uncover, mostly because of her obvious desire for her to examine. That was a reason she could get behind. This altruism that Zatanna and Lucifer displayed for her, even knowing the truth confused the construct mightily.

Even if it was a lie. She wasn't Saber- Not even a good Saber at that. Everything fake or implanted, to create something new. But...She could only go with the values she knew best and so she took in a deep breath.

"If you go, then take me with you. I need to...Face this as well. I give you my-"

"I'm fine with that." Saber blinked again. Lucifers words had no hesitation, no waiting. Simply agreement to her coming without a struggle. Saber felt more discomforted as she looked at the two.

".....You're not afraid I'll stab you in the back?"

"Should I?"

"No!" She said hotly, flaring as her honor was called into question. Lucifer smiled. "Then I wouldn't bother about it if I were you. That said- Zatanna." Lucifer glanced at the Coven member, a frown on his face.

"Its clear we need to investigate, but the only problem I see is the source of information....Do you think Lady Morrigan would sanction a mission based on Sabers memory?"

Somehow, he had a feeling the answer was no.

And if that was the case, then they may just be too late to find answers.

[TBC.....]​

Part Two: The Turn

Zatanna wouldn't even respond to his question about Morrigan and the possibility for a mission. "I'm too valuable to be ousted. She can come complain to me when we all end up dead."

"Then its settled. Dr. Harold- We'll return(hopefully) with success and news in tow."

I was grateful for Zatanna. She had always looked out for me in my time here and was as much a friend, as she was an ally. I have a lot of allies....I didn't have too many friends.

Back to Zatanna, Lucifer frowned.

"I and Saber Alter here can go- I can handle the practical and tracking better then most and Sabers memories might prove useful. Do you have anyone in particular who might be able to join us?"

Zatanna thought about what Lucifer said and snapped her fingers. "Considering who we have with us...and how the place looked. I think I have just the woman for the job! I just need to contact her, since she's not one of our regulars."

"Alright then. We'll meet at...Portal six? Its discreet and close to my section. Hardly anyone goes there."

It all came back to hospitality. As much as Lady Morrigan might want me out, the laws of Hospitality and of a household member was as much an integral part of magic as that of the trio. Maiden, Mother, Crone...You remember. And I had worked and took breaks often enough here to earn my own place. Between me and the Knight Leader among all the women, we needed a section of our own and we got it. Wasn't the nicest...But it was a room. A bit smaller compared to most, but I was easy enough to please as it was.

That and I kept the more mystical tools of my trade as a sort of quasi-armory I've added onto since coming here. May not be magic, but rock-salt shells and other such goods came in handy more then you'd think.

And it kept me out of sight of most, so that much was a blessing now. Last thing I wanted was to cause a scene with where I and whoever Zatanna sent would go.

Saber scoffed slightly and crossed her arms.

"I have all I will need myself."

"Great. I'll contact her and we'll meet at portal six in a few hours. Get some rest, both of you." Zatanna replied with a friendly smile on her face.

"It's not like we need to rush head first into this after all."

"In that case, maybe I'll eat first."

Sabers ears twitched at the mention of food. Her eyes began to shine, a slightly hopeful look coming into her eyes. Lucifer blinked...And then sighed out before smiling ruefully.

"...Maybe take-in would be better. Zatanna, I hate to ask but...Would you mind leading Saber to my room? The house shouldn't mess with you and the less who see her, the better. I'll make plates and...Bring it over I suppose. Should make it easier all around."

"Sure, come on Arturia. Time to find you a place to rest." As Zatanna lead Saber Alter out of the room Harold would wave them off.

"I am looking forward to further meetings with you!" The good doctor replied after Saber.

As the duo stepped out into the corridor Zatanna would speak up. "You're an awfully quiet girl, a penny for your thoughts?" She was hoping for some small talk as they made their way to Lucifer's room...but Zatanna wasn't quite sure if she was going to get anything.

For a moment, it seemed like she wouldn't. Saber seemed lost in her own thoughts, some twist of emotion making her hesitant before she finally spoke. "Its just... I had expected the pragmatic thing and steeled myself for it. To be disposed of, considering what my essence means for you all. But he trusts me. And you go out of your to help, though you of all people know better."

She hesitated once more before shaking her head. "Even under the idea that I could prove useful, its nothing you couldn't work against. Yet here you are....You lead me to keep me hidden. He goes to find food for both, as though I were not a weapon. And...."

Her gaze softened as she said quietly.

"Its bits and pieces...Like impressions of something you knew once, long ago. But now and then, something makes me think on events and people I've never met...People related to the enemies of my creators."

"I'm from a world where I've seen the baddest bad turn good and heroes turn evil. I've come to learn that everything isn't as black and white as it seems." Zatanna assured Saber as they walked the halls.

"I can't speak for Morrigan but I'm a hero, and I try to help where I can."

"A hero?"

That one, little word seemed to spark a recollection in Saber as she frowned thoughtfully. Images of someone, whose face was obscured and whom she- No, another felt an acute fondness for. Someone in which the word 'hero' meant something too. But it was a static state. Like a picture without color, that she felt was beyond her understanding.

Making a choice, she sought to understand.

"What is a hero?"

"A person who tries to do what's right, but doesn't always succeed." Zatanna replied. "But they fight on regardless..."

After having said that she would've gone quiet until they had reached Lucifer's room. "Here, Lucifer's probably going to come along soon enough. I'm gonna go and contact my friend. Try to stay occupied until then, we'll come get you and Lucifer when everything's done."

Zatanna was ready to leave before she stopped herself. "...Unless of course you want me to keep you company until Lucifer shows up?"

Saber shook her head.

"Its fine. Besides, people might question if you stay overly in his room." Such as it was and it'd be selfish to impose on the Coven leader, who was doing her part to help them. Honestly when Saber walked through the door, she had expected almost anything. Just...Not this.

The bed, a desk and a chest such as the one sailors used to take on journeys meet her gaze, the room cramped and small. Despite it, there was an almost fanatical cleanliness to it all that Saber associated with undertakers, who removed bodies and left everything spic and spam. It was a place devoid of any feeling of life and the only thing to suggest otherwise as a bookmarked copy of Earnest Hemmingway on the desk. On the wall over it, hung several weapons from a shotgun to a brace of pistols, as well as two swords.

"....."

It was the room of a person, who absently used it to store items and had little illusions that he would ever stay here for long. It was...A little sad honestly. Saber frowned and slowly, ran a finger over the desk before rubbing her fingers gently together.

Dusty.

Way too dusty.

And with a heavy sigh, she found a rag and began to clean....

When Lucifer returned with food, it was to the sight of the stoic knight dusting everywhere, frowning as though it did her a personal wrong before throwing him a look- That quickly vanished in the face of a starry eyed glance at the food he brought. Lucifer wordlessly, handed over her plate as he watched her go to town.

A moment later, he passed over his own and watched her eat that too.

"....Thanks for cleaning. I hadn't been here for a while."

"Obviously." Saber threw back, looking up at him as she slurped noodles between her lips. "Do you eat at all, master?"

Lucifer winced. "Please, don't call me that- As to food, I'll get a bite later." Unaware of the ominous undertones, Saber shrugged and continued to eat.

"Lady Zatanna said she'd be back to fetch us both when we're done. So till then, we're to wait here."

Lucifer stared across at his new companion, a homonculi formed from the most sinister of energy...Currently slurping noodles with every evidence of enjoyment, dressed in lolita fashion.

...His life had taken a turn for the weird, he had to admit.

A few hours passed for the duo before they would hear a knock at the door.

When Lucifer went to open he'd find a foxed eared beauty on the other side of the door.

"Hi hi~! It's your favorite Caster Tamamo No Mae reporting for duty!"
She stuck out her tongue and made a mock salute.

"Mistress Zatanna told me to pick the two of you up for out super secret mission! You better be ready." She got a mischievous look on her face. "I mean who knows what you two were doing in here when you were waiting. Hmm...?"

"Hello to you too, Lady Tamamo."

Lucifer smiled, charmed despite the idea of impending trouble. Armed for the battle ahead as well as anything else that might happened, he turned to Saber on the bed and called out.

"Its time."

Saber slowly, opened her eyes. After eating, she had gone on her knees on the bed. Slipping into a meditative repose that had lasted up to this point. Gracefully, she rose and stepped forward to move out the door as she gave a curt nod. Lucifer followed in turn, closing and locking his door behind him. To Caster, he asked in a low tone.

"How much did Lady Zatanna inform you of this mission, exactly?"

"Ooooh, you know...this and that." Tamamo said with a sly wink. "No need to worry your pretty little head! Mistress Zatanna's got it all covered! Now if you two will just follow me..." She replied motioning towards the corridor.

The Multiversal Emergency Unit.

They could have called themselves anything really. Witches Abroad, The Coven, The Craft- Instead, they chose a name that in a nutshell, encompassed everything they wished to convey about themselves. An emergency unit, a team of casters whose greatest wish was to help those in need, wherever they may be. Names had power after all and perhaps it was as much reminder as it was a badge.

Which brought them to where they were now, standing in the midst of the dark, neon-lit city. It was Detroit...Or a Detroit. Saber brought her sword up the moment they stepped out as Lucifer rolled up his sleeve, revealing his pipboy as he adjusted it. Sure, the technology was vastly different and many of the features on it he didn't need. But the radio program was always a boon.

Though for now, there was nothing but music channels as he finally clicked off the radio.

"Lady Tamamo. This place feels...Strange. There's a pulse to this world, but nothing I'm familiar with. Its alien."

Saber Alter glanced over and nodded.

"I feel it too. Like being doused in bugs."

It was a more apt simile then thought, as any scan would reveal the following sensation.

Bugs. Thick and in swarms, crawling in every orifice they could and originating from what seemed like the town entertainment district.

"Oh does that stuff really matter?" Tamamo shrugged. It was a city after all. "We're here now so we'll just try to figure things out right?"

Zatanna too would make her presence felt. "Detroit huh? Well could've been worse...we could've ended up in New Jersey."

Tamamo would laugh. "I don't get the reference, but it was certainly a funny joke if it came from you Mistress Zatanna!"

Whoever the two had ended up in this relationship was anyone's guess but Zatanna would let out a heavy sigh. "Please don't do that." With that she'd change the subject. "So what's our lead in all of this Lucifer? What should we check out first?"

"Saber."

Alter blinked and then growled as she looked around. All shadows and lights like daggers in the cloak of night, the city seemed less like a place to live and more like a creature slumbering. Steam hissed from vents in the streets and the sounds of various people whooping in the distance as gunfire rattled set her teeth on edge.

But for all of that, there was something out there. She gestured out to a direction and Lucifer frowned.

"That way?"

"Its where I sense the most...Familiarity."

Lucifer nodded and turned to the others.

"Alright then. Lets go. But first? We're going to need a ride."

--------

The Jamaican Voodoo Posse were among the baddest of the gangs here in this cyberpunk dimension. Armed to the teeth, their radio blaring they drove through the neighborhood in the sure knowledge that nothing in this place was stronger.

At least till tonight, as the driver braked as a single, solitary knight in black stood in their path.

The rest was a blur as the door opened and another dark figure made himself known.

Five minutes later....

Lucifer dropped the last thug as Saber stepped away from hers. Out of a command, she had left them breathing but frowned over the choice. Lucifer ignored her as he concentrated quietly and the winds began to pick up, a storm brewing small at first before he let it go. Saber blinked in confusion.

"You are a magus?"

"No...Just something on my fathers side of the family. Though it'll help if we're facing off against enemy mages. Running water tends to short out most magic I find. And against the cold backdrop, they'll show up all the better in my eyes."

"A soldier then." Saber decided decisively as she tossed out absently the worse parts of the inside of the car, such as the gaudy tiger skin on the back seat with a grimace, the car itself airing out.

"Not exactly- There."

As clean as possible for the others, Lucifer making a gesture to come along as he got in the drivers seat.

Saber moved to shotgun before pausing as Lucifer said sternly.

"Let Zatanna sit in front. I need to talk to her anyway."

Saber pouted but went to the back.

Tamamo patted to the seat next to herself with a smile on her face. "Come on Saber. Let's get to know each other better!"

Saber looked less then enthused to do so, but sat regardless.

Zatanna meanwhile would sit in the front with Lucifer. Eyeing the fuzzy dice hanging on the rear view mirror for a while she'd turn towards Lucifer. "Now isn't this one of the most garish things I've ever ridden in..."

"Really? What was?"

He asked in curiosity as they drove. As they did so, the more it became clear just how strange this particular world was. The mix of technology and the feel of magic....The creatures that walked openly among the humans ranging from orcish beings to elves in outfits garish and bright.

And Lucifer wasn't sure, but he could have sworn an aging poster he passed was urging people to vote for a dragon. Perhaps it was just a symbol of whatever political party was here?

No matter. He spoke to Zatanna quietly.

"I appreciate your help. This feels a bit nostalgic, to be honest."

"Don't mention it. It feels good doing some work and not just the bureaucratic mess." Zatanna admitted. It had been quite a long while since the Coven had actually done anything personally that could be considered adventuring or any of the sort. "And whatever this is will be big. I'm looking forward to seeing Morrigan's face when you of all people will have cracked this case wide open."

Meanwhile in the backseat Tamamo would continue to smile at Saber. No words...just a what Saber could assume was a friendly smile.

"I couldn't do it without any of you."

He admitted. It was an easy truth and one he had come to terms with in the organization. Pausing at a stop light, the storm he had called up began and he turned on the wipers. A moment later he added quietly.

"Not the least of all you. Morrigan is harsh, but her hearts in the right place. My presence is political- By keeping me around, doing what I do it sends a message to WAND that maybe the M.E.U. isn't so exclusive after all and they try to put pressure on them. I respect her for not snapping under that. I don't think I'd manage personally."

In the back, Saber finally snapped and spoke.

"Why are you so happy?"

"You're still around cutting a paycheck because not all of us are terrible bitches." She replied bluntly before chuckling softly. "We need all able bodies with us in the M.E.U. We're not call the witch or the magical teen girl squad. We're all magic one way or another, and we need to help each other. What's important now is to try and figure out what we can do to your lady friend in the back and stop it before it becomes an even bigger problem."

He winced. Funny how that worked. He'd seen things to drive a persons sanity to a shattering point, fought nightmares and worse like anyone else who lived long enough, in their line of work. And yet, despite it all?

He still winced at bad language.

At her words though, he was respectfully silent before he offered a rare, if shy smile back. There was nothing more to say here... Zatanna knew where they stood. So he took a chance.

"So how is the Coven nowadays? I'm mostly gone from the House of Mystery, so I've not much opportunity to keep up with local affairs." Meaning the current state between WAND and the MEU.

"Strained." Came her short one word reply. "Well that's not really true, since anyone from the MEU are honorary members of WAND...It's just the fact that we who are part of the Coven aren't considered part of the administration...so we don't have leader privileges." She shrugged at that. "Not that it really bothers me. The Coven, MEU and my duties back in my world are more than enough to keep me busy. But I'm sure some of us find it insulting."

Purely bureaucratic nonsense. But there was a lot of pride involved in the situation. "So how are you holding up? And how is...she holding up?" The she in question was Saber who she motioned her head towards.

Your average witch is not, by nature, a social animal as far as other witches are concerned. There's a conflict of dominant personalities. There's a group of ringleaders without a ring. There's the basic unwritten rule of witchcraft, which is 'Don't do what you will, do what I say.' The natural size of a coven is one. Witches only get together when they can't avoid it.

Well, the most traditional at any rate in his experience. Nevertheless, he could see some of the problems that'd arise. Zatanna was born in a more modern era of witchcraft and magic- It'd follow she had little problem regarding that sort of thing, in addition to her experience with teamwork. Morrigan on the other hand, from her particular world and persecuted for magic? He could see how that would color a persons perspective.

Thinking about her sent a pang through his heart in Hawkes memory again and he sighed.

"Sabers alright. Just...Confused, most of the time. She expects a certain standard from me and doesn't understand why when I don't fulfill it."

Lucifer's reply caused Zatanna to chuckle softly. "That's just what being a woman is all about." A little sexist joke there. Lucifer set it up too well for the magician to pass it up though. "You'll get her to soften up. She's new. Like a baby. There's just a lot to take in for her. What that means as far as any end game goes I don't know, but you'll work it out."

"I'm not exactly good with women, so I'll take your word for it."

He was only half-joking. But he appreciated the words of wisdom. Meanwhile, the psuedo-servants seemed to be getting along swimmingly as the foxgirl beamed.

"Because it's been ages since I did something with Mistress Zatanna!" Tamamo finally exclaimed to Saber. "I've been stuck alone in...that place for sooo long too. I was getting really really bored. That's something I really don't like to feel."

"She's your master then?" Saber deduced as she found her eyes flicking toward the back of Zatanna's head. There were a lot of things that confused Saber Alter to be honest, but the majority of them had to do with interactions. The Grail War and the knowledge henceforth was clear cut...But Zatanna didn't fit the idea of the magus she had known.

And nor did Lucifer that of a master as well. Moreover...She stared at the smile as he talked and frowned slightly. She looked to Caster and asked quietly.

"Why do you follow your master? How does she command your loyalty? Power?"

"Well...not exactly." Tamamo replied to Saber. "She's my Mistress...but not my Mistress. You get it?"

"No." Saber Alter said flatly, looking at Caster before adding quietly.

"Though I suppose I'm hardly one to talk on unconventional masters."

Tamamo would look intently on Saber Alter. Like she was trying to read a really complicated book. "Well you're not really a Servant either are you? You have this really...dark and bitter thing surrounding you. But that's okay! Even bitter things taste good from time to time, right?"

Saber Alter would regard Caster with a strange look of bemusement before saying flatly.

"You're very strange....But its...Pleasing?"

An awkward attempt at paying a compliment back, though a sudden flare that rippled on the metaphysical plane had all of them tuned in suddenly as the source of darkness was seen.

Saber peered through her window and blinked.

"Its...Familiar."

Lucifer frowned.

"Also radiating some serious mojo even I can sense."

fa726147544a07fa296afefd295272a6.jpg

A giant, modern looking pyramid...And a popular destination if all the vehicles were any indication. Lucifer breathed out as he looked at Zatanna.

"Glamour our way in, or do you think their protections would sense it?"

"Anyone who takes care of their business inside something like that probably has glamour protection up the wazoo." Zatanna replied looking out through the window.

"Let's just act up the visitor angle and see where that takes us."

"That is certainly a statement." Tamamo replied at the pyramid.

Lucifer removed his white collar, followed by his cross which he stored in his pocket. Without them, he looked less like a priest and more like a socialite as he stepped out of the car, parking it a small distance away. Heading around to Zatanna's side, he opened her door for her and extended his hand.

Saber would do the same for Caster, though with a frown at her armor she concentrated....And blinked as she ended up in a suit, oddly enough matching Lucifer well. They could have been exotic escorts or bodyguards to the two mages and Lucifer hid a smile, which Saber scowled at. Nevertheless, with mirrored courtesy they each waited on their partner as Lucifer spoke.

"If they saw our vehicle, we wouldn't match. At least this way we have a chance of bluffing our way through."

"And if any get in our way, we can kill-."

"-No."

"You're no fun, 'master.'"

Tamamo frowned at Saber's extended hand, but with one look from Zatanna she finally obliged.

"We're going to be the coolest cats in town." Zatanna replied grabbing unto Lucifer's hand. "Let's try to stay under the radar for as long as we can. Maybe I'll try my luck at the slots?"

Oddly enough, the slot comment was more accurate Zatanna would have expected. The security was high and the turnover was massive. And when they came to the guard, he gave them all a once-over before waving them through. Thieves or mercs would hardly come, dressed as they did. All four exotic looking specimens, even by the standards of the pyramid itself.

A casino. At least, the moment they walked through its doors that's what it looked like. Gilded tastefully in red and gold, the fortunes were won and lost in a near instant, its customers ranging from the alien to the humanoid. And all the while, that same dark miasma only seemingly sensed by them would be felt.

Sabers arm locked with Casters suddenly began to tremble, Saber Alter looked on wide-eyed in shock at a screen portraying a current prize fight.

Where none other then herself seemed to be fighting a hulking, black creature before being ripped apart.

"-AND SHE'S DOWN! FIAWLESS VICTORY BY BERSERKER!"

Saber Alters eyes were wide, her pupils like pinpricks as her mouth pressed flat. There was anger, yes...But beyond that, horror as well. It was one thing to be somewhat sure that she was an experiment.

It was another, to see proof of it before her eyes.

Around that point, several people in suits and shades began to surround the four as their spokesman cleared his throat.

"Good evening to you. I've been given instructions to lead you to a private guest room."

"Hiya boys!" Zatanna replied tipping her hat as the nice people in suits surrounded them. "I didn't even have time to hit the tables, but it looks like I've already won something."

Lucifer for his part was silent. He still had his weapons as well as Zatanna, Caster and Saber. Saber, he reached out an arm to squeeze her shoulder gently. Hoping some of what he attempted to convey through the gesture went through, he cleared his throat.

"Of course. Do lead the way."

To Zatanna in an undertone as they were led, he spoke.

"Either they recognized Saber or one of us. Which narrows it down to a few enemies, responsible if its the latter."

Could it be her? That mysterious force back at the prison pointed to this direction. To the person he had been hunting down for too long now. If this was the day of reckoning...His arm began to tremble. Unknown to anyone but Zatanna, due to their proximity.

Finally as the door opened into a vast penthouse, a voice would speak.

But not the person Lucifer had been anticipating or dare he say it, hopeful for. He didn't recognize it at all. Zatanna on the other hand, would.

latest

Saber gave a start, eyes widening as she looked up. That voice.

That voice!

"You! That was your voice I heard, in my slumber!"

"And so the prodigal child returns."

Abra Kadabra smirked and clapped his hands once.

"Shall I put my ring on your finger? Shall I kill the fatted calf?"

Lucifer disengaged gently from Zatanna and slid into a battle stance. This seemed to amuse the man as he chuckled.

"You have my thanks for returning my property to me. However...You have no authority here, do you? Either of you!"

He said with a savage grin towards Zatanna and Lucifer.

"Oh, I've heard the stories. But to see it in person is a little...Overwhelming at first. But not in vain. You are limited by the shackles of your authority, unable to act unless there is a threat, hmm? And while somewhat nauseous to the weak minded, I don't think magical cloning to be a crime against the Multiverse, do you?"

Ugh of all of the Flash rogues it had to be the pompous asshole who acts like he's a magician. "Maybe not Abra, but do you know what is a crime?" Zatanna replied towards the 64th Century magician. "Being as far away from your home universe...Since you are acting like a pompous ass that means you haven't read through the Multiverse Directive."

The smirk on her face was evident as she continued. "Let's just say you've broken at least two of them only for the fact that I'm looking at you right now, and I'm positive you've broken a whole lot more. Long story short. Wipe that grin off your place because you're about to get schooled."

Lucifer flicked out an array of black keys, the blades forming into existence like the wrath of God almighty in weaponized form. Saber Alter clenched her fist as her sword appeared in hand.

Altogether? They all appeared to be prepared for battle.

So why was Abra Kadabra smiling?

"My, my. You seem to have me outnumbered. So for my next trick!"

He raised his wand and grinned toothily.

"I'm going to make my enemies disappear."

Lucifer spun suddenly, swinging up his blades to deflect a shot away and into the ceiling as a figure materialized.

"You didn't think I had come here alone in the event of you people, did you?"

818891-ghost_1.jpg

Gentleman Ghost tipped his hat towards Zatanna, before turning to the Executor.

Saber roared and leaped for Abra Kadabra, blade up with the full intent to bisect him. Unfortunately, she was intercepted by a black spear that flung through the wall and knocked her out the penthouse window, her armor the only thing that saved her. Its owner laughed madly as he leaped out without hesitation to follow.

6ltVIVq.jpg

"GIMME A GOOD FIGHT NOW! AHAHAHAHAHA!"

A cat yowled and before Caster, materialized a new figure as he snarled.

994513-klarion_25.jpg

Abra Kadabra smirked and turned to Zatanna as their opponents squared off.

Lucifer vs Gentleman Ghost.

Saber Alter vs Lancer Alter.

Caster vs the Witch Boy.

And Zatanna vs Abra Kadabra.

"NOW GIVE US A GOOD SHOW!"

[TBC....]​

Part Three: The Prestige

Oh boy all rejects of her own neck of the woods, and she ended up against the big fish. "!pu mih tuhs" She aimed her wand at Abra trying to seal his mouth shut with her magic.

Well, it shut him up at least. A marked improvement as it was, considering who she was fighting. Though it didn't make him any less deadly as he flicked his hands and from behind, flung a couch right at her back.

Tamamo meanwhile would size up her own opponent. "Oh this kid seems to need to grow some more. Maybe put him back in the oven for a bit longer?"

Klarion smiled. And then laughed as he clapped his hands, eldritch bolts of green energy flying towards the fox as he smirked. Teeki yowled as the Witch Boy said with relish.

"I agree Teeki. She'll make a wonderful muff by the time we're done."

Off to the side, Gentleman Ghost laughed, guns akimbo as he fired them repeatedly in Lucifer's face, the Damphir countering with black keys as he spun and and deflected them away to the sides as he got closer.

Outside, Saber falling would growl as she prepared herself, Lancer Alter meeting her in midair as she roared her battle cry.

The impact from the weapons shattered windows as they fell downwards, neither opponent giving up a single inch as they swung, slashed and stabbed in midair.

Excalibur-Fake swung to parry the false Lancer, Saber Alter momentarily dumbstruck, even as muscle memory allowed her to block his blows. There was....Such a wild look on his face. One that disturbed her mightily, seeing it opposite. Was this the goal of her creation? Or was it simply just the being it- Himself? Surely she couldn't be alone in wanting to be more. Could she? Between blows, she managed to hiss out.

"Why? Why do you fight, Lancer?"

-------

"Oh thank God..." Zatanna mumbled under her breath. That was one thing taken care of at least. As for the flying couch. "!lepeR" The couch would fly weightlessly away from Zatanna as she was ready to fire off another spell. "!seeb fo mrawS" Stinging bees should keep him at least a little bit distracted from casting his spells.

Fire flashed from his person in waves to counter the bees, before coiling in the form of an octopus as living tendrils of fire lashed out for Zatanna, directed by the magician as he worked on his mouth.

Tamamo yelped as she unsurprisingly dodged the bolts like a fox. "It's adorable! You actually think you can beat me!" A folding fan emerged from her sleeve that she flipped open. "You should just cool down." A barrage of ice shards would fly towards Klarion as she waved her fan around.

The couch repelled by Zatanna would intercept the ice before behind it, a monstrous cat-like creature would leap out from behind it, seeking to tackle Caster to the ground.

In the background, Lucifer would be fanning out the revolver, the hand-cannon barking aloud as he fired bullet after bullet in Gentleman Ghosts direction, though the latter just phased through the wall.

Outside, the various smashing noises indicated the clash of Saber and Lancer as car alarms shrieked and so did bystanders.

---------

Saber Alter kicked a parked car, watching it flip towards Lancer as he merely sliced it in half. And right behind, in its wake her trap would be sprung as the Hellfire blast she had summoned washed over the psuedo-servant. More and more, she had been unnerved by the Lancer...His cries of joy, his excitement. It seemed everything else was secondary, if that at all.

"...Fun."

Saber Alter paused, willing to listen as Lancer propped himself up.

"Its fun. Its what we're made for. Designed in the images of powerful avatars, despair made manifest- We gain our meat and drink from the battlefield and revel in the victims we harvest for ourselves. No masters. Nothing but endless, unceasing war. How could I NOT fight for that?"

"The Cu Chulainn I knew would not have been like that."

Lancer grinned.

"I'm not Cu Chulainn. I'm at peace with what I am babe...The question is, are you?"

Saber's only response was to slide back into her ready pose, back to the fight. Lancer grinned even wider.

"Boring ass conversation anyway. HAHAHAHAHA!"

And once more, they leaped at it, hammer and tongs.

------

"!noohpyt remmuS" Strong gale force winds combined with heavy rain would be aimed towards Abra to put more pressure on him.

Bleh. Abra Kadabra finally managed to rip off the material over his mouth, cackling as the fire octopus transformed into a protective rock as it hid him from view.

"AHAHAHAHAHA! YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE COME HERE, MAGICIANS ASSISTANT! I AM BACKED BY POWERS YOU HAVE SEEN ONLY IN YOUR NIGHTMARES!"

Tamamo would be tackled to the floor due to Teeki's interfering. Getting an arm free she'd try to slice at it with her own sharp claws and if successful would use her magic to cast a fire spell to engulf Klarion's familiar.

"TEEKI!"

The familiar roared, swiping at the flames and Klarion snarled as he clapped his hands together. Every loose bit of furniture flew towards the Foxy Caster in his attempt to get even.

Gentleman Ghost swung his sword down, nicking Lucifer's cheek and revealing a long slice as he laughed. He had his measure of the Damphir.

"Hmm...Unwilling to kill, impossible to maim me. You can't do much against me, can you boy?"

"Perhaps not. But I don't need to."

Lucifer's eyes flashed as with his free hand making the sign of the cross he smiled.

"I just need to keep you in place."

The blood dropped...And the magical circle Lucifer had made with slash marks and sealed with his blood trapped Gentleman Ghost as Lucifer began to chant.

"Omnipotentis Dei potestatem invoco Omnipotentis Dei potestatem invoco Aborro te ut Angelum omnium obsequendum Domine expuet Domine expuet Deum adempiremus veritas!"

Gentleman Ghost screamed as he was banished back to the spiritual realm. Lucifer scowled and huffed out.

Tamamo meanwhile would try her best to avoid the furniture flying her way. "That's it kid! You're making me really mad with your antics! The only way to cure this is...REPENTANCE THROUGH CROTCH VIOLENCE!" A dangerous battle aura would surround her. "Polygamist. Castration. Fist!"

She'd crash through the sofa thrown at her aiming her kick right at Klarion's nether region. "Haaaaaaa!" If she connected she'd unleash a fury of attacks aimed at the poor Klarion's magical orbs. The final attack would end with a magical explosion.

Hell hath no fury like an angry woman and Klarion for all his power, was not prepared for a dirty blow.

He crumbled to the floor like a bad penny and whimpered.

Through the broken window, Saber Alter flipped through with a snarl. Her visor was halfway shattered, her armor battered and bleeding in points. In her hand, her blade gleamed.

In the other, the broken spear head of her opponent she used to help climb was tossed absently into the wall, where it embedded itself deeply.

"Assistant?! Now I know you're just being petty!" Zatanna replied waving her wand around. "eci sa looc!" A freezing cold would surround the area where Abra was standing. The cold winds would add more to it. "You and your boss are finished. Cause I know you're not clever enough to set any of this up by your own!"

"Not clever?! ABRA KADABRA IS THE GREATEST MAGICIAN OF ALL TIME! YOU ARE NOTHING COMPARED, YOU ARE FOOLISH TO TRY! FOR I AM-!"Bursting from behind his cover, he blinked.

The damphir had banished Gentleman Ghost, the Witch Boy was whimpering where he was curled up in a fetal position. Saber Alter looked pissed as hell.

"-Outnumbered it appears."

"I guess no encore for you." Zatanna replied. While he might've been outnumbered she wasn't going to risk it. "dinb!" Rope would emerge from thin air and wrap itself around Abra just in case he was planning something funny. "So before we'll be sending you off for due process. Mind telling us what the hell you've been up to in this place? Unless you want Tamamo over there to give you what she gave to poor Klarion." Zatanna pointed towards Tamamo who would wave back at him.

"THE LITTLE RATS BEEN BREEDING MORE OF US!"

Saber Alter was a study in fury, seeming a thousand times her size in her anger as she stepped forward and picked up Abra Kadabra one handed. In a frigid tone at odds with the heat she radiated, she spoke.

"That Lancer I fought was just like me! Another replica! And the Berserker....And the other me! All of them! From weapons to sideshow freaks!"

Lucifer looked startled, suddenly getting why Saber was so furious. Her pride had been trampled and she had taken the humiliation as one applied to herself.

"How many of us died in that pit of yours? How many were killed for the amusement of others?"

Abra Kadabra looked startled and stared at Zatanna with an impressed look.

"Amazing. It thinks she's real."

Sabers eyes widened and Lucifer was a shade too late as she punched him square in the stomach. As he doubled over, she drop-kicked and watched him fly into a table, before flicking her hand.

Immediately, her blade gleamed to life as it was summoned by her will as she began her march forward.

"I. Am. Real."

"Real enough to kick your ass." Zatanna replied giving an approving nod to Saber Alter. "Like I said you aren't clever enough to relocate and start fiddling with stuff like this on your own so I'll ask again. Who hired you and your friends to do this?"

"I don't know!"

*THUNK*

Abra Kadabra paled as a split saved him from a lifetime of eunuch-dom as Saber Alters sword plunged deep into the floor.

"I NEVER KNEW HIS NAME! CLASSY LOOKING MAN, DRESSED IN WHITE WITH A CANE! WALKED AROUND WITH TWO BODYGUARDS! A GREEN ARMORED MAN AND A CRAZY WOMAN WITH A ROCKET LAUNCHER!"

"Locus and Jinx." Lucifer said with a frown, arms crossed as Abra Kadabra nodded furiously.

"Yeah, that was it! He started me up and never came back! So....We used them. Not like they were ever real people, right? And people paid good money to bet on the fights."

"So what you're saying is that you're useless." Zatanna replied before turning to Lucifer. "This guy in white doesn't sound familiar, but he has to have some pretty powerful mojo to set up all this stuff."

"If this place is any indication, yes."

Lucifer mused aloud as he looked around before frowning. Every bit of furniture had moved from the Witch Boys attack. Everything except the display cabinet in the corner. Stepping forward, he began to examine it carefully before noting a lack of dust on one of the glasses.

*Click*

Pulling it would reveal an elevator as Lucifer spoke.

"Going down it seems."

"God forbid the secret lair would for once be up." Zatanna snarked stepping into the elevator closely followed by Tamamo.

When the elevator opened, it was to the following chamber. Steam hissed from the vents, giving an almost tropic feel to the atmosphere. Pipes ran everywhere, for what purpose was yet to be understood. Worse perhaps was the innumerable rows and rows of pods, each one transparent and with a number. Each one containing a variant clone of a Servant.

The look on Saber Alter's face was a study in horrified fixation as she looked into her own face, in hibernation.

latest

Her grip on Abra Kadabra who she brought with them grew tighter and Lucifer moved to examine the main computer. A careful examination of it all and he spoke in a musing tone.

"The tech is advanced, but nothing special. What makes it unique is how it channels magic as well, integrating sorcery with science. Some of these formula derive from Prague- Or a Prague. Others I recognize from a case file in the Coalition. Something involving those giants Agent Annie was familiar with."

His eyes gleamed and he peered carefully at the keypad before entering a code, following the most polished keys.

"It seems its a combination of Homonculi work, Golem theory and Darkness...Or Despair."

Extensive...But for it to be abandoned and turned at the hands of entertainment? He leaned back in his seat and frowned.

"Whoever was in charge originally, they got what they wanted. But why leave all this behind?"

"It doesn't matter."

Saber Alter turned to look at them, as she blinked away tears and stood straighter.

"This place needs to die."

"That's something we can agree on." Zatanna replied to Saber Alter. The sight of it all...a flesh pit of malleable dolls built as entertainment for the masses. "The sooner we wrap this up the sooner we can leave this place."

"I'll do it."

Saber Alter frowned as she looked at them before summoning her sword to her. Tossing Abra towards Lucifer, she hesitated and spoke towards them.

"I will join you outside, when I'm done."

Lucifer hesitated before he finally nodded. Once going back up, he said quietly to Zatanna as the elevator shook from the impact of her first blow.

"Hopefully, this gives her closure she needs. As to who she is and where she came from. Its more then a lot of us get."

"Where she came from doesn't matter." Zatanna responded to Lucifer. "It's what she'll do next moving forward that's important. A shame we didn't figure out who funded all of this. Maybe our psychics back in HQ can get something out of Abra's little head that we can use."

She smiled. "Even if we don't we still managed to put a stop to one huge operation."

"True. But what concerns me is this. This was a major operation. It required resources of considerable magnitude and clout to establish it here. In addition, there's only one organization I know of that uses Despair to such extent. So I guess what I'm trying to wonder is this."

Lucifer frowned and below, Saber Alter stomped away from a cleaved emblem.

latest

"Just what exactly could the Order be planning? And what will they do next?"

[END]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back