Screaming Bloody Murder

**So, I have a horror RP idea I've been anxious to run, and originally I posted this on Dream Realms because they are an 18+ site and I was planning on making this pretty gruesome. However, it seems most of the user base there is only really interested in RPs involving sex, which is really disappointing. So I'm thinking about moving the RP to this site if I get enough interest. Anyways, here's the RP, drop a post if you're interested!**

BN_1.jpg

Yesterday, on August 13th, 2016, police officer Thomas Banks found a young man stumbling down the side of a rural highway in Deerfield, Kansas. The man was Jeremy Williams, who had been last seen early March of 2014 at his home in Medford, Oregon. He was declared missing after his wife called police when Jeremy did not return home after work that night, and could not be contacted by any means. Police investigation of the disappearance had turned up nothing and the case was suspended from lack of evidence, until today.

The following is a statement from Officer Banks on the incident. "I saw a man limping down the road as I drove and I immediately stopped my car to offer assistance. His clothes were all torn up and bloody and he was bent over holding his wrist. When I rolled down the window and called out though, he turned to look at me then bolted. I quickly called in with the station before exiting the vehicle and chasing him down. I thought he was running to avoid arrest, but by the time I tackled and wrestled the man back to the vehicle, it was clear that he was mentally impaired and seriously injured. He needed immediate medical care and so I rushed him to the hospital."

When Jeremy arrived, doctors were forced to strap him down to the gurney so he wouldn't further injure himself by thrashing. He was treated for acute head trauma, a compound fracture on his left wrist, internal bleeding, and various minor cuts and bruises across his body. Doctors told us, "[It was] a miracle that he survived and was walking down the side of the road." Psychiatrists have reported that Jeremy is suffering from severe PTSD and has put under cautionary surveillance. Police are investigating the location Jeremy turned up but have so far found no leads, and the victim has not been compliant with questioning.

"Whatever Jeremy went through in the last two years has seriously affected his mental state, more so than I've ever seen before," Psychiatrist Amy Wu tells ZYX News, "When he isn't screaming for help or sobbing the only thing he talks about is an unknown figure chasing and stalking him. He will sporadically switch between extreme paranoia and distress, something commonly seen with severe cases of schizophrenia. Nothing I've said to Jeremy has had any effect on easing his state of mind. ... He believes that everyone is here to harm him in some way and has, in a few incidents, attempted to attack me and other staff members."

The only details Police have been able to extract from Jeremy's ramblings is that he claims to have been in an old, medieval town for the past two years. According to the victim, there was a large castle at its center where his assailant lived, and that was where he would drag the victims he caught. Jeremy has been calling this place Wershire. Normally, police would chalk this up as stress induced hallucinations, as there are no towns with castles anywhere in the United States, however, a seemingly related incident complicates things.

Eight months ago, a woman by the name of Madeline Keller was recovered in Northampton, England. Ms. Keller had gone missing a year previously in Albany, Georgia. According to reports, she was suffering from the same mental state as Mr. Williams and also described the exact same town of Wershire to authorities. Unfortunately, Madeline died on December 8th, 2015, from self inflicted harm. The chilling correlation between the two incidents has left investigators scratching their heads, and it is unknown whether this mysterious event will ever be solved.

Welcome to Wershire

3c7abe7ef4a1146987cd4f006627fbac.jpg
Wershire shouldn't exist. It's not located on any maps and the town is not once listed in any historical document. There is no known way to find Wershire, Wershire finds you. From time to time, someone will go missing. Police will investigate and find no leads as to the person's whereabouts. They will have effectively disappeared from society, and this victim will find themselves in a village with a large castle looming nearby. Phones will have no signal, and attempting to leave the town will only lead you right back to it. There is no known way out, and nobody who has entered Wershire has lived to tell the tale.
Until Madeline. And then Jeremy.
Perhaps there is a way out... A slim chance for survival... But can you find it before he finds you? And what will it cost you in return?

----------------- GENERAL INFO ------------------

In this RP, you will be playing a victim who has gotten lost and somehow turned up in the mysterious town of Wershire. Your character will be an ordinary human without any magical abilities, and they will have to fight for survival, looking for clues on how to escape. Unfortunately telling you more would ruin the surprise, so that's all you know!

DISCLAIMER: Your characters are NOT safe, and there is a good chance that they will die. Getting out will not be a walk in the park, and nobody is going to hold their hand throughout the journey. All of your character's choices will have consequences that will affect their chances of survival as well as the flow of the game. So if they make a bunch of stupid choices, don't expect them to live too long.
That being said, if your character does happen to perish I will allow you to jump back into the RP with a new one. But you will lose all of the previous character's possessions and knowledge about Wershire and it's inhabitants. So there's definitely an incentive to survive.

Since characters are able to join the plot mid game, this makes it very easy to add new players at just about any time. So if you're reading this and the RP has already started, don't be afraid to ask to join in!

----------------- RULES ------------------
Please, no one liners. Your replies should be at least a short paragraph, maybe two. Don't just write what your character says, include what they are doing and what they are thinking. Describe the emotions that are going through their heads or get descriptive about the scenery around them. There's always something more to write about, don't be lazy.

I will be using dice to randomly decide things during the RP. Anything your character finds, and the success of any actions he/she takes, will be ultimately decided by me and the dice. Don't take this as me being overly controlling, it's the only realistic way to provide structure to the RP. I'll make sure everything is fair. Plus, its not like I can realistically steal the spotlight from your characters, because I'm not going to be playing a survivor. I'm the killer.

I'll be the force that pushes your character to their limits. They'll have to decide between things they never imagined they'd have to. But your character's decisions are still ultimately under your control. I am simply the director, the scene setter, the incentive. The rest of you are the meat of the story, and it's up to each of you to make your characters shine in this dark reality.

If you guys want anything in the RP you need to PM me about it first. For example, if your character needs food/water/medical aid send me a pm asking for food/water/medical aid. I will then roll a die and show you the results. If you want to preform any arbitrary actions that you may not realistically succeed in, you need to PM me first so I can roll a dice. For example, if you're trying to jump from one roof to another, there's a good chance you may slip and fall between them. That's something you need to ask about, you wont need my permission to run down the street for example. Even though there's a chance you may trip, it's a trivial action and I don't want this to turn into 'GM may I...'.

-- Searching for items (D8 roll will decide if you find something, I will choose the item)
[8] - Jackpot: Good, useful item
[7] - It'll Do: Worn item, but still usable
[6] - I Just Picked Up Trash: You find an item, but it's essentially useless
[5-1] - Empty Handed: Nothing found
**Note, if you are frantically searching, where you don't have enough time to look carefully, the 8 will be rerolled
-- Taking an action that one might realistically fail in (D6 will decide if you succeed)
[6] - Your Skills Are Fire: You succeed easily, add some finesse
[5] - Got It: You complete the action with a little work
[4] - That Was Close: You did it, but it was a close call/It took a while.
[3] - By The Skin Of Your Teeth: You BARELY succeed/It takes MUCH longer than predicted
[2] - I Got An F: You fail the task
[1] - Shitty Day: You fail and get injured somehow (roll for damage)
-- Taking damage (D6 will decide the severity of the wound)
[6] - Tis But A Scratch: Superficial wound
[5-4] - Ouch: Minor wound
[3-2] - Call An Ambulance: Major wound, some compromised movement
[1] - Fucked: Seriously injured, Death is breathing down your neck
-- Running/Hiding (D4 will tell if it works)
[4] - Poof: You get away from your pursuer, who has no idea where you went
[3] - Escaped: You get away, but the purser knows the general area you went
[2] - Breathing Room: The pursuer knows where you are, but you are able to slow them down
[1] - Hot On Your Heels: You fail to improve your position in the slightest
-- Killer chasing 2+ survivors who split up:

I'll roll a Run/Hide check for each survivor, narrowing the list until one remains
-- [PvP] Attacking/Blocking/Dodging (D6 decides success of action)
Each party rolls a D6, whoever has the highest number succeeds
If Attacking wins, roll for damage

Note: Any injuries your character may have will be taken into account when preforming these actions, and they may affect the dice roll.
Also, you will not be able to kill the murderer who is after you, that would end the RP, but you can wound/stun the killer to give your character a chance of escape. Attacking him will likely put your character directly in harms way though, so be careful.
Lastly, in some unique situations the dice rolls may need to be altered, this is up to GM digression. I will let you know of the alterations before hand though.

If you are injured, I expect the injury to be played out realistically. Someone with a broken arm will not be able to use it to move a bookshelf later on. Also, I may randomly PM you about something that you need to include in your post. This will likely just be some random item, descriptive details that tie in with the story, or clues on how you might escape. How you include and describe it in your post is up to you.

PvP: I have thought about this and decided that I will allow PvP in this RP. Because you are able to rejoin with a new character, the death of him or her will not be detrimental to your participation in this thread. However, I do not want this to become a death match RP, so I will be implementing an attribute called Karma.
Karma is a number that will track how good or evil you have been. Karma will be gained by acts of altruism, and it will be lost from malicious acts against an innocent survivor.

For example, Sue and Fred are two survivors together in the RP. Say something starts chasing them, and in order to ensure his survival, Fred pushes Sue down the stairs towards their pursuer. Fred receives -1/2 Karma. Sue, however escapes her pursuer, and later sees Fred again, who is trapped under a fallen log. The evil returns and instead of helping Fred, Sue runs. But she does not lose Karma from that action because Fred is not innocent to Sue (but now Fred is innocent to Sue again). After that one "payback" action, if Sue performs a malicious act against Fred later, she will get -1/2 Karma.

If, on the other hand, Sue helped Fred out from under the log, she would get +1/2 Karma, but would still retain that one "payback" action for later use. Payback actions do not stack.

So what's the big deal about Karma? Why risk my character's life to receive the points?
Thanks for asking, you see, Karma is actually pretty important. Its number will be added to any/all dice rolls. So the more Karma you have the more likely you are to succeed at skill checks, and vice versa for negative Karma.
If your roll + Karma isn't an integer, I will round the number up. So 3.5=4 and -1.5=-1

Lastly, I have not decided this for certain, but I may implement Activity checks. This would be in place to keep the RP moving. How it would go is that each player would have a set time frame to get a response in. If someone does not respond or send me a PM about it, they will receive a warning. After a certain number of warnings, their character will be killed off. With this method, the RP will avoid getting hung up on one person with everyone else waiting for their response. I realize everyone gets busy, and I'm willing to be somewhat flexible on this, but I don't want this to start getting too drug out. That causes a domino effect where people stop checking the thread as frequently, and so time between posts becomes longer and longer. As long as you respond within a timely manner, and I'll be reasonable with the time period, you don't have to worry about your character getting killed off.

Use this character sheet template to submit your characters. I have to approve them before you may play.
Code:
[color=#FF0000][B]Name:[/B][/color] FIRST AND LAST NAME HERE
[color=#FF0000][B]Occupation:[/B][/color] PREVIOUS JOB, IF ANY HERE
[color=#FF0000][B]Age:[/B][/color] HOW OLD ARE THEY?!
[color=#FF0000][B]Appearance:[/B][/color]
[spoiler]
[center] IMAGES GO HERE [/center]
[/spoiler]
[color=#FF0000][B]Bio:[/B][/color] GIVE A SHORT DESCRIPTION OF YOUR CHARACTER'S PERSONALITY AND BACKSTORY

[color=#FF0000][B]Strengths:[/B][/color] WHAT SKILLS AND TALENTS DO THEY HAVE?
[color=#FF0000][B]Weaknesses:[/B][/color] WHAT ARE THEIR WEAKNESSES? (NO ONE IS PERFECT)

[color=#FF0000][B]Noteworthy Possessions:[/B][/color]
[LIST]
[*]LIST ANY NOTEWORTHY ITEMS THEY HAVE ON THEM (SIMPLE TRINKETS, NOT SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT) (COPY AND PASTE THIS LINE FOR MULTIPLE ITEMS)
[/LIST]
I put the words that you should replace in all CAPS. If that makes it feel like I'm yelling at you, it's because I am.

(This thread here will become the OOC thread for the RP.)

:emoji_smiling_imp: I look forward to killing all of you. :emoji_smiling_imp:

Last edited:
This is the most interesting idea I've read in a while- I'd love to be a part of it, if you're still looking for participants!
Quick question, though: is the character form supposed to still be in code form? It's a little confusing to look at ^^""

Nah, I put it in BB Code form so it could easily be copied and pasted into the reply box. Once you hit reply it will look normal, and if you need to see the final product, hit the more options button in the bottom right and then that will take you to a page where you can preview your post.

So yeah, I'm still looking for characters. I have two already approved on the other site (more are interested but they haven't really been getting back to me), so as of right now it looks like I'm going to be running the RP over there, so less users have to move. I also like their dark theme which suits this RP better than yellow. But if you want to join go ahead and post your character for approval here. I'll let you all know when and where the RP will be taking place once we're ready to go!

Name: Lawrence Hawkins
Occupation: Grocery store cashier; occasional performer (singing and guitar); high school student
Appearance:
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
Bio: Lawrence was born and raised in southern Mississippi, his family's house only a couple of minutes from the coast. He's the oldest of three brothers, with a single, overworked mother whom he helps to support their family with an after-school job. His father abandoned them when his twin younger siblings were born; he was four at the time. Ever since he was old enough to really understand the position they were in, he's felt responsible for taking care of his brothers and mother. He tends to put too much weight on his shoulders, but he doesn't mind; all he really wants is for his loved ones to be safe and happy. However, sometimes the fact that he's a pacifist gets in the way of protecting them: he despises violence, and the smell or sight of large amounts of blood makes him nauseous. It's definitely been a problem in the past, but he sticks with his beliefs through thick and thin. He's comfortable and confident with himself, whether it be his appearance, his personality, his beliefs or otherwise. It doesn't get to the point that he's overconfident, though- he's simply at peace with who he is. The blond tries to be as helpful to others as he can, but sometimes this can result in him being taken advantage of by unscrupulous or malevolent people. He's improving in this regard, but it's a work in progress for him. Lawrence is the one that will keep a level head in an emergency; you can depend on him to not panic in a pinch.

Strengths: Stamina (doesn't tire easily; endurance runner), Good Arm (pretty good shot when throwing things), Steady (hard to knock off balance)
Weaknesses: Squeamish (not good with blood/gore), Slow (not particularly fast), Hesitant (his pacifistic ideology often gets in the way of crucial decisions), Rapunzel (long hair gets snagged on stuff sometimes), Children (if he sees a child in need, he will help them regardless of how suspicious it seems)

Noteworthy Possessions:
  • A tarnished harmonica his brothers got him for his last birthday
  • A worn gray wallet, containing his driver's license, a couple of old receipts and ten dollars

Last edited:
I have someone who might fit:
Name: Anne Ritter
Background: Anne Ritter was born in Pennsylvania at the turn of the century. After her mother's death due to Smallpox and her own near death from the same she was raised by her father, Dr. Heireid Ritter and spent most of her young life trailing behind her father as he made house calls in and around town treating the wealthy and the indigent alike.

By the time Anne was a young adult she was fully committed to the path of medicine. Her father enrolled her in the Women's Medical College of Pennsylvania. She graduated at the top of her class and took her residency. The Ritter family itself has a history that dates back to the American Revolutionary war. The Ritter name comes from Anne's few times Great Grandfather who was one of the Hessians that surrendered to George Washington. After surrendering he settled down in Pennsylvania and converted to the Quaker faith. The Ritter family itself has a number of people in the Quaker community or "Friends" as they call themselves. Anne herself is quite devout in her faith. This is especially true since the Quaker religion has always placed women in roles of leadership for their communities and thus her role as a Doctor is seen as a good thing by many "Friends".

Personality: Anne is a gentle caring soul with a certain amount of cast iron in her spine. She is more than capable of ignoring the sexism that is prevalent in her chosen profession and works twice as hard to prove herself.

Appearance: Anne has short cropped red hair and fair skin. Her eyes are a deep brown and she stands just above five feet. She would smell clean and wear the minimal amount of makeup and even that would only be when she is not working. She doesn't wear any perfume and would most likely smell of the soap she is often using to ensure cleanliness. When not at work she would wear slacks, a blouse, and sensible shoes that are good for walking in.

Strengths: Medicine, Logic, Faith

Weaknesses: Unable to accept things that defy rational explanation, Won't easily accept other's authority, Too slow to run in bad situations

Noteworthy Possessions: Cross, Medical bag with stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, bandages, ibuprofin, baindaids, cloroform

images

Last edited:
The character looks like it will work so far, but I can't accept it quite yet. I need you to use the template I gave you guys in the OP because it has other information you need to fill out too, like strengths and weaknesses. You'll also need to find a picture to represent your character.

Name: Nadia Sullivan
Appearance: Nadia has fairly long, messy blonde hair and amber eyes. Standing at merely 5"1', she was tiny, petite, and has a frail, delicate figure. Coupled with her ivory white skin and passive expressions, one would be reminded of a porcelain doll. The callouses and roughness of her hands, however, shatters the illusion, and proves that she was not quite as delicate as she looked.
cb288cd3d859cead90602276e6c0e993.jpg

*Credits to the owner. This will be removed upon the artist's request.
Bio: Nadia is a strange girl. She was born and raised by a simple family in a simple apartment in Manhattan, New York City, but it was seen in a young age that she was not quite fitting with other kids in her the neighborhood or at school. In class she would usually skip to run somewhere off in dangerous alleys as well as the Central park, finding junk like broken phone parts and rusty pipes and making something out of them. She never seemed to like engaging in things that she wasn't interested in. Even when she was kicked out and was home schooled, she continued to be a headache to her parents, with her teachers not quite lasting more than a few weeks. Nadia is a serious but rather energetic young girl. To people she was usually shy and rather noncommittal, but once you catch her interest, she will latch onto you like a leech. She likes working with her hands most of all, creating something out of junk, and usually holds pride for her creations. She never seems to show any more emotions except for surprise, doubt and delight, and it was usually hard to see whats going on in her mind.

Strengths: Simply put, Nadia is a mechanical genius. What she can think up in her mind, she can usually create with just the right kind of improvised supplies. Aside from her intellect, she is fast and agile in running as well, developed from the continuous practice of running from her parents, teachers and fellow students that wanted to catch her and bring her back to the classroom, or prison, as she called it. She has a sharp mind, a quick thinker, and coupled with her fast reflexes, she was good enough to think herself through any situation... or is she?
Weaknesses: Nadia has a weak, frail body. She would not be able to lift heavy objects so easily, or give actual damage to people with physical attacks. She was also very asocial, not quite used to social cues, and that's why she finds it so hard to get along with people. Despite her gentle looks, she could sometimes have a sharp tongue, able to hurt people's feelings without her actually realizing it.

Noteworthy Possessions:
  • Because of the headache she had been giving her parents they had struck to her a deal to always carry these three things wherever she goes: A phone, a bottle of pepper spray and a rape whistle.
  • Other than the three things stated above, she also likes to bring a multipurpose pocket army knife (as it holds all the precious tools she could ever need while on the go) and some candies and a lighter, always in her pocket.

Last edited:
Nadia's approved!

So, I think I'm going to be starting the RP now that we have a total of 5 characters. I'm going to host this on Dream Realms though, my reason being that it was the first place I posted this RP and I think the black/red theme of the site would fit this RP really well. More immersion, you know? Also, I think they're more lax as far as violence goes and I don't want to cause any issues over here, considering this is going to be a mature RP. So if you guys don't mind, can you create an account on DreamRealmsRoleplaying.com? They use the same forum template that Storyteller's Circle uses, so all the buttons and functionality is almost identical to this site, you'll see what I mean. I'm going to go ahead and post each of your characters over on that OOC and work on a first post for the thread.

Hmmmmmmm... I honestly prefer to only roleplay at one site at a time (I can never seem to keep track of everything so I want all my rps in one place). But I will be willing to make an account there, except for the fact that I have a couple of concerns. I checked the site and the site rules: As Nadia is merely 15 and will be thrown out in deadly and dangerous situations, unless there's some exceptions I am not aware of, she seems to break the rules of the site. Are you sure hosting the rp there is okay? :eek:

Well, as far as I've seen, you can play characters under 18 as long as they aren't involved in any adult, sexual situations and that wouldn't be happening in this RP. I also posted about this in the other OOC. You do raise a good point with the violence though, but I think as long as we don't get too detailed she should be okay. I'm honestly not sure how gruesome I was going to get with this, but its a horror RP and I didn't want to be restricted at all when writing up some shocking moments. This is another reason I chose to use Dream Realms, because of the RP's nature. I suppose I can ask a moderator on the other site if your character would be okay, but if they say no, how willing would you be to make her 18?

EDIT: It might honestly just be best to make her 18, because even if I hosted this RP here the situation would still be controversial and go against this site's rules. There is a chance that every character will get butchered, and having that happen to a child wouldn't be ideal. I thought about her age earlier but didn't want to intervene with your character. But it looks like it might be a needed change.

Should I adjust Lawrence's age as well then, if there's a possibility of breaking a site rule with him being seventeen? I don't want to cause any issues.

Hmmm.... I'm conflicted now. I liked Nadia to be young as I will have an excuse for her naivete, and I have a feeling imagining her as older diminishes her charm to me. Makes the idea of playing as her less appealing, as the contrast of her innocence on the bloody world of Wershire was the thing that made me decide to join in... what a bummer. o_O

*shrugs* I made an account on the site anyways. I personally do not like the atmosphere dreamrealms have, but I will.... lurk. And see if the hassle of having two sites to rp in is worth it. *eats cookies in a corner*

If you need me to see something there just tag me or something. The username's still Revelree. :)

Last edited:
I made an account, "SilentRaindrops", but I'm the same as Revelree- I don't really like the vibes DreamRealms is giving me.
I'll keep the account for this RP, but I probably won't do anything else on there.

Yeah, I like this site's community and atmosphere better as well, but I think this RP is better suited there than here because of the nature of it. I'll mention you guys on the OOC and PM you over there.

Back