Yun Lee

The Sculptor
Administrator
The Convergence Series GM
Staff Member on Hiatus
(Written by Ringmaster)

Part One: Lightbringer

19381b3a0db8c9380ed69a1e8162cc5c.jpg

A wasteland world, long since destroyed and mutated by the fallout of nuclear war. One possibility among thousands of them and thus a reality here. What was once Washington DC was now known to the locals as the Capital Wastelands. Las Vegas had degraded from the city he once knew, into a stronghold of unbridled violence.

Just another world in a vast multiverse.

Though not the only possibility. He would know better than anyone after all.

Wasn't he a living example of endless in potentia?

He still looked much the same, since the incident with the Eldrazi. His usual longcoat and hood pulled back protecting his priest uniform beneath it, the white collar faded and ever present near his throat to denote his fate. His silver crucifix dangled around his neck as his fingers rubbed it out of habit, bare and pale despite the journey he had taken. His hair was cut short, for more practicality than style as was his wont and in his features, dreamers eyes, colored crimson stared to his combat boots, of good quality but as worn as the rest of his clothing. There was no weapon carried openly.

Everyone had a home to return to, when they had done what could be done by them. Everyone of them but himself. And in that moment he was ripped from his law enforcement counterpart, he could see briefly the endless maze. Thousands upon thousand might-have-beens and confusions of worlds he knew he had never seen till now.

In one, there was a funeral where he saw Isabelle crying and raging at a somber wizard in black.

In another, he saw himself crying and writhing in pain in the heart of the Amazon Jungle under the shadow of the Old Gods, clad like a seventeenth century sailor.

He was sixteen, bored in a high school classroom and sneaking glances at his desk neighbor...

He was afraid, with the emblem of the red cross on his arm and running through the muddy trenches as artillery exploded all around and biplanes roared through the skies....

He was good.

He was evil.

So many, he almost cracked from the strain of processing it all until his mind shut down to prevent insanity. And when he awoke, it was in a strange world. A futuristic one, of cyborgs and the rule of Steel. Gangs stalked the ghettos and warlords, masked as upstanding members of the community controlled the streets in their savage games. It was not the home he knew in the least.

But his duty did not change whatsoever.

He stayed for six months, cleaning up the area he was in. Using all his skills of the blade and of the training he had gone through, of the experience he had obtained to wage war upon the organization he came to learn called themselves the Blood Institute. Irony at its finest at work. And as he did, he listened and he learned, acclimating himself to this newest variation on his life.

It was a world, yes...But one aware of other worlds. Separate, yet connected and answering to something known as the Coalition. Though as of late, their reputation seemed to be suffering.

Inept, sloppy, ineffective- These were the worlds held by those in the know, describing these multiversal heroes and their group. Lucifer personally had no opinion whatsoever to speak of, save that of a twinge of sorrow for such a thankless task. Taking care of one world was bad enough, exhausting to the extreme.

Doing so for countless worlds as the word multiverse implied, was quite another.

Still, his work done he made arrangements, carefully seeking out ways to return home, to the dimension he called his own. Finally, he believed he discovered it. A way to ensure his straightforward return to all he knew.

And it was somewhere in this world of fallout.

He leaned back in his seat, contemplative as he looked out the window as the train rumbled on. That was one of the nicer things really about world alliances. The possibility of travel, trade and reconstruction. This train being the predominant example. Cheap to make, easy to repair in comparison to a lot of other ideas, it not only made extensive travel in the wasteland possible without the dangers a caravan would entail, but also served to ensure safe transportation too. The Brotherhood of Steel was well served with their alliance, if his information was correct. But it wasn't them he was seeking.

Speaking of which, there were two of them now. Entering the largely empty train car(not many were rich enough to afford such lavish by their standards, transportation), both Paladins clad in their power armor stomped through the car. One by one, examining the few passengers before finally stopping before Lucifer's bench. Inwardly, Lucifer sighed in vexation.

latest

"Stand up."

"Can't it wait? I've been trying to sleep the whole time I was on this train, and I'm really cranky."

Subsequent and often violent encounters with bounty hunters, assassins, killer robots, mutants, aliens and everything in between since he started traveling the multiverse in search of his home had eroded his general polite nature in favor of his old, wisecracking persona to cope though when it came to the opposite sex, children and elders, Lucifer's courtesy remained much the same as it ever was. Some things never changed.

"We are the Brotherhood of Steel. The authority of our chapter lies in every Paladin and if you do not stand, by God you will crawl when I blast your kneecaps off. Now shut up and stand."

It looked as though it was going to be one of those days and Lucifer did as he was bid, hands raised at a gesture from them as one trained his weapon on him. The other began to search him for weapons, discovering only a singular revolver which was confiscated as well as the handle of a katana, without the blade. That was left hooked to Lucifer's belt as he rumbled.

"He matches the description. Red eyes, black coat and silver cross. The one who fought our comrades in order to protect synthetics."

"Men who make women cry come to ruin, I was merely Gods hand in that regard."

Truth be told, he had almost forgot. There was a synthetic woman, working as a waitress back a town or two back. She was being harassed by a crowd of Brotherhood recruits enjoying the local color and Lucifer decided to step in.

He left them alive, but ensured they'd forever be terrified at the sight of a spatula for life after the brawl was over. He then left without a word, putting it out of mind.

So that was what this was all about.

The train whistle blew and Lucifer flicked his eyes to a sign passed on by the train before smiling and looking at the Paladin's.

"You're not afraid of the dark, are you?"

And without warning, they vanished as they entered a tunnel, darkness obscuring everything but the sudden grunts and noises, the flash of gunfire briefly illuminating the room as a terrifying shadow with red eyes swung down at the head of a fallen Paladin-

-The train emerged into the light. The Paladin's laid on the floor, their guns twisted and bearing the indents of their helmets, as though someone smacked them with it, both breathing if unconscious.

And watching the train leave, in the middle of nowhere after he jumped off, Lucifer sighed out and pulled up his coat hood, one hand moving to check his weapons, his revolver snatched back and placed in its holster where it belonged.

He had paid for that ticket, fifty whole bottle caps. ;_;

And with a final sigh of regret, he stared into the sky and made his way across the waste, grumpy as he noticed the sign detailing the closest settlement.

This was going to be a loooong walk.​

Part Two: The Man in Black

If there was ever a town to represent the hope of a world reborn from the fallout of our forefathers, it was the town called Mercy. With the Brotherhood of Steel's involvement in the organization known as the Coalition, nay as one of the very founding members to the point that they'd adopt their own symbol, it gave our world something new. Something beyond simple survival and hand-to-mouth that characterized our life up to this point.

It gave us hope and nowhere was that seen more than the greenhouse, protected by the Brotherhood Paladins and tended by robots. A place where the soil was actually purified by the technology offworld, enough for old plants, long since thought extinct here to thrive. Certainly better than Mutfruit and Cactus Pears. The day the fruit of this Garden of Eden was ripe and ready to eat, would be an auspicious one indeed.

And I certainly didn't plan to miss out, all things considered.

Oh. Where are my manners?

bffbb21fae5d104c6f6bf234614f4873.jpg

Call me Piper Wright! I was Diamond City born and bred, till...Well, lets just say a difference of opinion came up and I was forced to leave. Still, the world was changing and someone had to record it all. So I made a deal- I stay away far from Diamond City, and my office keeps me on as a 'field reporter', traveling the wastelands for stories. Its not so bad, I get to keep my own hours and see most of a place I generally only can dream about- Between raiders, deathclaws and the like though, pretty face like mine could likely end up bashed or worse so I run a cautious track. Things seem to be improving though, here in the Wastelands for all concerned.

The Brotherhood of Steel chapters seem to have all united under one banner. Means instead of em snapping and snarling at each other, they get to turn their fancy guns and armor on all manner of dangerous folks for travelers. Made the roads and byways safer for the first time in years, to say nothing of the new railroad. Was torn honestly between following it and checking up on events way back east. Heard there was a heap of trouble over in the Imperial Wasteland, where New York City once thrived and the Brotherhood don't have so good a hold at yet.

Maybe I'll check up on it some other time, but for now here is where I stayed. Mercy was a perfect little town.

desert_pass_by_lema000-d93zlh1.jpg

Under the protecting gauntlet of the Brotherhood of Steel, it provided a haven for travelers and the workers who worked the tracks every day, returning here for rest and supplies. Was also more heavily guarded, but she supposed that was a given, considering they were working outside in the Wasteland. That and the Greenhouse made Mercy a very tempting target for raiders. Nobody but the droids were allowed to work back there and anyone trying would be pushed back, via a courteous if firm hand from the Brotherhood in this town.

All in all, it was a wonderful story in the making for someone like me and every night, I'd sit and write down my notes on the roof of my little shelter-room I'd rented for this occasion.

I guess that made me the first person to see the Man in Black when he entered Mercy for the first time.

Travelers came in from all over. Nothing new about it. This one had the look of a priest from days before the Fallout Wars. White collar and all, though dusty from the trail. Over this uniform he wore a black duster, worn as the rest of him as the glint of silver shone upon his chest. I recall scoffing then. That was a sure way to say 'here I am, shoot me here!' in these parts, despite things changing for the better. What I found really weird though which kept my attention for a few seconds was two things.

One was the lack of any weapon, save a single revolver whose handle flashed briefly into view from my position. Certainly not enough to handle the Wasteland Horrors.

The second was his getup on his face. Some kind of purple scarf, used to filter out the dust of the trail and the sandstorms all around his lower features as he walked wearily into town. Must have come a long way, closest settlement was at least a week away. Less now, that the railroad was coming through.

Anyway he walked and as he did, I'd have paid him little attention till he happened to look up right at me.

I froze.

My breath stopped and I swear, my heart skipped a beat. Fear? Anticipation? Even at this distance, those eyes seemed to burn like our sun and more intensely than a Deathclaw. And as he looked at me and I him, my reporter instincts- Instincts I had honed over a life of seeking out the truth realized something about this wanderer, this Man in Black. His eyes....

They were red and glowing dimly in the dark as dusk settled.

Ain't never saw that before.

He broke the staring contest first, limping off into what passed for our local flophouse and hotel and as he did, the shiver down my spine tingled as I was suddenly aware of the world around me once more. Somehow, for whatever reason my thoughts all a-jumble from that look told me clear as day.

This was gonna be a hell of a story.​

Part Three: The Bat and the Bull

As far as world hopping went, Lucifer supposed there were worse places, if less stranger. For one, bottlecaps of all things were the penultimate currency around here. But bereft of that, hard work was another commodity that people still seemed to need around this townstead.

And as he worked, he got to know the town of Mercy little by little. He herded Brahmin and brought them into the fold by night. By day, he fought off the biggest scorpions he'd ever seen with a crude shepherd crook, the head twisted metal salvaged from somewhere long ago.

Geckos, though bearing no resemblance to any gecko he knew were butchered and eaten, when they dared approach their water sources. Homesteads were fixed and people soon came to know him as a jack-of-all trades, his quiet manner and stories making him an easy favorite.

Every Sunday night however, he'd vanish and return long after the sun rose. Not a word spoken as to his whereabouts and all questions politely deferred. Otherwise, his charm gave him a lot of leeway to his own affairs and as always, town gossip raised the idea of him settling among them for good. What Lucifer might have thought of this, had he been aware was unknown.

For someone like Piper Wright, it was maddening.

One whole month and not a single scrap of new information. It seemed he really was some goody-two shoes with pretty eyes and a helpful manner. Piper smelled a rat and not the kind roasting in the cookhouse. Like most of the people in town(mostly the womenfolk and children), she watched Lucifer with eyes like an eagle with a telescope. She even resorted to bribery, paying the smarter kids to integrate themselves into his growing flock of admirers to learn more.

All she got was stories of how he'd play with them(a grown man playing the role of a Deathclaw!) and a growing headache at hearing the prattle of her own sex, wondering aloud if he liked the stew one or the other made for him, to take with his herding duties.

The only one to share her views was the town doctor, a member of the local Brotherhood faction. When she felt frustrated enough to vent to someone, he merely nodded and told her soberly.

"He walks like a man used to Death. Silent and sure-footed. Eyes deep as the pit if you let yourself sink in em. A mans past is his own though, but I'd bet my life on this. Whatever happened in the past to that man? Blood played a huge part in it."

Well whoop-de-doo. Piper couldn't care less. After all, you weren't a reporter unless you were in danger now and again for a big scoop. And every instinct in her was screaming this was it.

Sunday came. Piper was ready, lazily lounging in a corner as Lucifer finished his story, surrounding by the small community, including an off-duty Paladin who was pretending not to be interested, as kids stared wide-eyed.

"-I guarantee princess, you will get no such promise from the eels!"

He made it interesting at least, Piper grudgingly admitted. Honestly, the sight of the kids made her slightly homesick too, as she wondered how her sister was doing without her. But no time for that. Lucifer was getting up and as he did, Piper eyed him furtively.

He dressed like a native, with a rough shirt beneath the open coat of his priests uniform. The cross was beneath his clothing now and he had exchanged his longcoat for a poncho, rough-woven. A wide brim hat completed the picture, as he smiled gently, ruffling a wide-eyed girls head as she asked if Boomercup or whatever the princesses name was survived.

Piper took the opportunity to sneak out. She was well prepared for this moment, planned out in advance. A motorbike fueled for her purpose and some equipment would serve her needs. Both to avoid danger as well as to fight if need be. It was a moonlit night in turn, which meant she wouldn't need to run her lights. All in all, she was confident in her ability to shadow Lucifer.

Which was why, she was currently trying to pick up her jaw as two miles walk from town, she saw the bastard suddenly run, a dust cloud in his wake far beyond anything human or mutant. She revved her bike and followed.

Things had suddenly gotten interesting and she had no intention of missing a single bit!

Due East, the trail led and at one point, Piper glanced at her speedometer and blinked. Thirty miles per hour and climbing, at a steady pace. What was he? An offworlder? A vault experiment? Whatever he was, it certainly wasn't human. So what was he doing here? Why hang around in Mercy? So many questions but by god, she was going to get answers.

She paused at an overhanging cliff, binoculars out as she scoffed, seeing a dust cloud that could have only been him. Somehow, he'd manage to avoid the cliff and continue on his way. By the time she found a way down, his trail would be long cold.

Piper kicked a rock in frustration and immediately regreted it. Curse words of a long and studious travel life filled the night air.

Around that time, the screaming began. Like a ghastly chorus in the night, it rose and chilled Piper to the bone. It was a cry borne of intense terror, grown men reduced to blubbering children as gunfire punctated in between.

Piper turned around, binoculars up as she peered for the source.

And she found it. A camp on fire, a beacon of terror in the dark as she adjusted her sight. With the raging fire, she was able to see an emblem. A flag, burning like the rest. Caesars Legion. Slavers and bullies, but with great local power. And in the midst, killing those men she knew in her heart it was Lucifer.

The screams stopped.

Somehow, the silence was even more horrible.

An hour later, Lucifer flipped up from the cliff edge, landing with a crouch as his back was to Piper. Piper drew in a shuddered breath, plasma blaster pointed at his back. Lucifer made no move to stir.

"...You're not from around here. Aren't you."

Despite the phrasing, it was not a question as Lucifer rose slowly, turning to look at her as she repressed a shudder.

The dark of the night twisted her perception of Lucifer. Like a macabre scarecrow he stood there, eyes blazing red like their chance locked gaze, a month ago.

Lucifer licked a trace of blood at the corner of his mouth, considered carefully.... And shook his head slowly.

"Its a long story."

Piper cocked her head, weapon hand unwavering as she smiled.

"I ain't going anywhere."

Part Four: The Four Horsemen

"They call it "Damphir." An old legend of the Balkan regions of the world, describing the union of a human and a monster."

A campfire had been set up, Piper sitting warily opposite Lucifer, with the plasma pistol still in hand. Lucifers idea, to give her some sense of security as his hands dangled openly as he warmed his hands. The firelight did much to ease away the nightmares the darkness evoked around him for Piper, but she hadn't forgotten the screaming. Pretty face or not, her grip on the pistol refused to waver as her reporter side emerged.

"So that's what you are then? Some kind of...Monster?"

Despite herself, she felt a pang of guilt at the way Lucifers features fell at that moniker, but nor did he defend himself to her as most would as a beat passed.

"....Yes. I am. My father in particular was a powerful creature of the darkness and all it entailed. From him, I earned much of my powers but also his weaknesses. Its why I go hunting, every Sunday night when I can't take it anymore."

His eyes when sorrowful seemed less terrifying in their shade of red, as he considered where to start. Piper prepared her pen and notebook, poised to write before Lucifer began his story. In slow, steady tones tinged with sadness he began.

"You know this world to merely be one of many- I come from a world where nightmares yet exist, and strange things creep in the night. As a child, I was discovered and brought up by another of my kind. She taught me how to control my urges and helped to instill something I've always striven to live by...Compassion."

Piper couldn't help but interrupt, curious as she spoke.

"Sorry, its just... Really?" It was sounding almost like a bad, pre-war romantic novel, of a sort she had managed to scrounge at a high personal cost.

What, even reporters liked to read.

Her tastes in books aside, Lucifer would smile wryly as he cocked his head, his hat placed to the side as he ran a hand through his hair. His expression was wistful, as he tried to place it in words before speaking.

"Yes. Its all a matter of choice, in the end. Nature can only go so far as an excuse as far as I'm concerned. I am a thinking, sentient being. I feel, I hope and I know unlike animals, I have a choice. I can choose to abase myself- To be a monster, utterly and without a care. Or I can choose to fight myself...To become something I'm inherently not, in order to fool myself and thus my nature. I was born a monster, Miss Wright."

She blinked, startled for a moment that he knew her name, as she didn't exactly make it a point to ingratiate into his circles prior this meeting. Perhaps noticing, he smiled and shook his head as he turned to look at the fire and continued.

"I was born a monster....I choose to be human."

For a moment now, the only sound was the crackling of the fire and the scribbling of Pipers pencil before she glanced up and asked.

"So every week, you've been hunting people?"

Lucifer nodded, his face solemn now.

"I require blood to survive...To ensure I don't go feral during the week, I've taken to a few bites here and there, with the Brahmin. Its disgusting stuff, but it keeps the edge off until the end of the week. One night, I had left to clear my head...And I ran into a group of six bandits, seeking to rob the town. I...Was not in the best of moods. One swung at me with a machete- I ripped his arm off and then his throat, in that order."

Piper blinked, looking ill at ease now at the easy way Lucifer seemed to say it. Lucifer himself shrugged self-consciously.

"I...I woke up after, feeling sated for the first time and surrounded by the bodies. I took them and ran, throwing them down a pit and salvaging their gear. It was then I had the idea...Every Sunday night, when I could no longer take it, I'd go hunting. I'd find bad people and feed from them, to spare others close to me."

Piper frowned at that, tapping her pencil against her thigh as she pointed out the hole in that story.

"But wouldn't they notice, eventually? They discover their people disappearing in the area around Mercy, they'll be angry. Possibly even take it out on the town."

Lucifer nodded, agreeing.

"I left no survivors. I didn't want to scare any of them off, but eventually I had to start hunting far afield. My...Victims became scarce and eventually, I was running out of food. You've seen me run. I can go far afield without anyone the wiser, before returning back. But I'm curious, how exactly did you come to try to find me?"

Now it was Pipers turn to shrug self-consciously as she glanced away. The pistol lay next to her, forgotten now as she felt at ease in his presence. Call it instinct, call it experience....But while Lucifer might be the boogeyman of the wasteland to some folk, right now she knew he wouldn't harm her.

"....The first time. When you came to town, you looked at me. I don't know why, but I felt...Something. A rush, a chill. I was a little scared and giddy at the same time. Your eyes were glowing and you wore some purple scarf around your mouth."

"The Shroud of Job." Lucifer said quietly, one hand moving to his stomach, where in the past month he'd been wearing it wrapped around his lower abdomen to prevent it getting in the way.

"Sunlight is less harmful to me, than it is my full blooded cousins. But it has its price and so I pay it. The Shroud prevents this. It was a boon in my work, back when...Well, back when I knew where home was."

Piper raised an eyebrow, her own mouth taking on a pert expression as she half-needled, half-teased.

"And what were you? I'm thinking the whole shepherd, babysitter, janitor and handyman trade is a bit of a niche thing, isn't it?"

That startled a chuckle, Lucifer's mood brightened as he flashed a smile.

Piper bit the inside of her cheek.

Not now girl, damn it.

"Perhaps so. But its more peaceful than what I used-"

He froze...His pupils dilated and in one, smooth motion he was on his feet and facing the west before Piper realized it. There was a dangerous expression to his features now, one that had the reporter shudder inwardly as she realized what the doctor meant.

Gone was the friendly manner, the open eyes and smile. In its place was steel and ice. It was the face of an animal, who scented prey and a moment later, as though to complete her macabre thoughts, Lucifer spoke grimly.

"The wind...Theres something foul about it."

Piper gulped and forced a laugh as she rose to her feet.

"Just maybe the slightest bit dramatic, don't you think?"

Lucifer didn't rise to her joke. That worried her more as she dared to take a step closer, one hand hesitatingly reaching out to his shoulder.

"Hey....You alright?"

Her touch was light, soft and yet was enough to bring Lucifer from his mindset. He glanced at her hand and as though it burned, she withdrew it swiftly and skipped back a step. Her face might have been red. In the dark, it was difficult to tell. Her voice was steady enough though as she asked.

"Whats going on?"

Lucifer inhaled deeply, looking out into the west before speaking.

"We have to go back. Now."

Meanwhile, back at Mercy....

"BURN! BURN YOU LITTLE SHITS!!"

4cd0f8a2e6c92eadf6441719e9f02bad.jpg

Smoke rose from the remains of the buildings that had been set to the flame, the crazy pyromaniac cackling as the greasy smell of roast meat filled the air. Smoke, thick and black rose up, matching its counterpart in the distance, where the railroad construction was taking place. A pity he couldn't have been there to help out, but this was just as fun. Just listen to the screams!

Within what had once passed for the bar, the remains of another battle was seen. If such a scene of slaughter could be called that. Scant hours ago, it was a community. A place where after the hard day of work, everyone had come to have dinner and share stories. Now? Farmers and herders, who had armed themselves to protect their families and children were cut to bits, shot in the back by a minigun. The only survivors, two people. One was a Paladin- A member of the Brotherhood of Steel. The second was the child he had covered with his own body when the attack came.

The girl whimpered, looking up into the armored face as the behemoth of steel shielded her with his bulk, eyes wide and terrified. The Paladin grunted, his duty clear as he punched a hole in the wall, big enough for her to run.

"Go child. Now."

She was scared...But she was also a wastelander. To hesitate meant death. She chose life, squeezing through the hole and was gone. The Paladin felt relief...He had done his duty. She had her chance at life.

It was all he could do. Behind him, the sound of someone completely at ease walked towards him with heavy tread. The Paladin gritted his teeth, hatred suffusing his body as though replacing his lifeblood leaking on the floor. Deeming its owner close enough, one hand would close over a metal spike, once a support for the bar. Now an impromptu shiv and instrument of revenge as he roared, turning and pouring his last strength into this final act.

"YOU TRAITOR-!"

He was backhanded, casually so yet with enough force to smash the Paladin to the ground. On his back, he gritted his teeth as a heavy boot grounded him into the floor. He would not cry out in pain. He refused to give him the satisfaction, the man he once called brother-in-arms.

Paladin Sentenza.

bc880f1f06df7424e18c2ffd1624ad86.jpg

The traitor of Mercy. It was him who waited for the opportune moment, who when the attack came directed everyone to enter the bar, to barricade it against enemies outside. They just never suspected the true enemy to be within.

The minigun cut them all down like so much pork, leaving only the defenseless in this town. Well....Those who escaped his companions psychotic tendencies. He lowered the minigun, the barrel an inch away from the Paladins face as he smirked.

"What a horribly cliche thing to say in your final moments."

Outside, as the girl ran for the outskirts, the sound of the minigun roared briefly and was silent. Tears fell silently, her fear solidifying into a mass of adrenaline and emotion. But still she ran. She had no choice left. To stay was to die. To leave into the wasteland was to die. To hide was to delay, to enjoy life for a few scant moments more. She scrabbled for cover, hiding behind a hill on her belly. Her tattered dress ragged from the attack and smelling of smoke as she dared to peek out.

Her heart broke all over again.

Fire. Her entire home was bathed in it. Corpses, too crisp and blazing to recognize crackled in the heat. She wasn't sure if that was more preferable to knowing who they were. The door to what was once the bar crumbled, punched through by the Paladin she once thought was a protector. The worst of it all though, the straw that broke the camels back? It was the location of a fire, where once the greenhouse laid. She couldn't bear to look anymore.

Curling up in a ball, she sniffled. Eyes scrunched tight. This...This was wrong. And aloud, voice cracking she whispered.

"Big brother, where are you?"

It hurt so bad....

Ten miles away and closing fast, two figures rushed across the Wasteland by night. Dawn was hours away, and the critters seemed to know better than to interfere. Radscorpions clicked their claws, as they saw the twin clouds of dust in the wake of the two. Nightkin, at rest grunted as they peered out into the dark at the race against time. In the skies, carrion birds smelling battle in the distance woke with shrill cries, flying in great flocks as they moved out. A black cloud of wing and death as below, Piper Wright rode alongside Lucifer, his great stride keeping up and his teeth gritted. Eyes blazed and lit the trail as he led Piper through the easier paths without stopping. Somehow, for whatever reason Mercy had come under attack. He didn't care why or what they wanted, if they so much as laid a hand on the people he had come to know?

They were going to pay.

They were all going to pay.​

Part Five: The Face of War

He was incredibly violent, even insofar as his kind went. As a child, he killed his siblings for scraps and discovered shortly a more palatable fare in the form of his brothers corpse. That feeling of being sated for the first time, of the hot meat and blood sliding down his throat and filling his nostrils with its scent? For the creature, that was truly the time he was born.

On the very first day he tasted blood.

Slavers came one day. Caesars Legions, killing his tribe and taking him and others in chains. Too unruly to train for labor, they turned the mutant into into a gladiator. Armed him and set him loose upon the best of the worst they could find. Again and again, he killed and he feasted to the joyful cries of the crowd. In time, they named him in turn.

Mars. The god of war.

A cunning brute, he was sold eventually to a strange man. He smelt of something foul, something that stank of a similar scent, in places deep and hot within the earth.

He told Mars he would serve him and opened the door to his cage.

Mars had laughed and threw himself at the little man. He wasn't particularly hungry, true.

But there was always room for dessert.

b14e6f147a99af07bc79535ece0f3749.jpg

That was then. Now? He had flourished after a fashion beneath the Masters thumb. His gladiator armor, crafted for his massive frame fit him snugly, spikes of metal and bone all over his body. He was literally adorned with the scraps of his past victims, all of whom had died, still living as he devoured them.

Upon his left wrist was his weapon of choice, taking four of his acolytes to arm him. A modified chainsaw wristblade, to ensure the victims pain.

Fear made for a wonderful seasoning. And there was much fear all around them now. The railroad construction site was crushed, destroyed by his hands and his minions. Workers and guards alike were scattered, those untouched by his legions anyway. Hungry for blood and battle, they fought over the remains even as Mars watched on in silence.

There would be no escape nor help in this direction for Mercy. Just as the master planned.

From the east, the winds blew in from the darkness and all froze, turning to stare as though by an inaudible signal.

Mars clenched his fists, ignoring those moving closer to him as he peered into the night, the deeper black beyond the bonfires they had built.

I watched from the safety of a hill, far from the fight according to Lucifer. Honestly, while I told him I was fine fighting alongside him, there was a part of me that felt an intense sense of relief.

The explosion from the direction of the railroad construction site was a surprise to us both, but also faint hope. Any survivors would try to get to the train, though the closer we came to it, the more that hope died.

When we found the first body, bisected I think Lucifer was hit pretty hard. From the clothing, he was only a worker. Labor to pound the nails and lift whatever was needed. Not a fighter. Just someone in the wrong place at the worst time.

It did something to him, thats for sure. In the dark, he stood and I was reminded of glass in his posture . So easily broken, so fragile. He then collected himself and moved on, telling what came next was not going to be a fight.

It was going to be a slaughter.

He walked into that hellish scene, facing that monster in the armor and his goon squad and as I watched, I vowed to myself then and there.

He would not stand alone.

I still had a plasma pistol and was fifty shades of pissed enough to use it.

Because one way or the other, whatever happened now? The only way this was going to end was in a grave. Their own.... Or his.

Part Six: Showdown on the Tracks

He had never gone to war. Not truly.

He wasn't a soldier. He wasn't an assassin. He didn't know the battlefield, nor the music of sirens and explosions. He had never dug into a foxhole, nor aimed with an array of others upon those who might have been just like them. He had never experienced that horror. What he knew, what he had done... Was a simple thing.

He fought evil. But what was evil? Was evil a monster? Was evil something insubstantial, lurking in the hearts of everyone? Was it something that originated from a force demonic, or something utterly animal in the minds of men? This was a question Lucifer had always asked himself, in the line of his duty. It was something that bothered him for as long as he could remember.

Evil was not a vampire.

It was in a village, devoid of souls in Alaska, during the dark months and foul with the stench of death.

It was not in the dagger alone, but the force behind it who'd skin victims for the joy of hearing them squeal.

It was in the imperialistic queen, who kidnapped children.

It was the hungry god, who became greedy for more.

It was all around him now.

Fires burned out of control, providing the only illumination. Fighting over the bodies were humans, twisted and deformed. With cloth masks and chain saws, all of whom were staring warily at Lucifer. And in their midst, was their leader who they all emulated. A massive figure, even for his kind. A super mutant, twisted by the irradiated wasteland into something more primeval and twisted.

But even by his standards, Lucifer was dwarfed.

Twenty feet to his own six. A huge, looming figure in the firelight, Mars like his namesake stared down at the executioner of a another world. Lucifers head could have easily fit in the palm of Mars hand, comparable to coal shovels and made for crushing. In the flickering light, the hodgepodge armor that characterized the feral feel of the wasteland gleamed with bone. This was a man who paraded his victims, to inspire fear.

All Lucifer felt was rage, hot and heavy. It lingered in his mouth, his heart beat like a war drum only he could hear. He had been disciplined...Once. His training and his job, preparing him to enter situations dark and twisted. In such times, it was the only way. To cut your humanity, to seal it in a box that the job might be done. But he was no machine nor was he a good executioner. Lucifers ultimate problem was and would always be the following, no matter the incarnation.

He felt too much.

He saw friends when he should have seen cadavers.

He felt anger, when he should have been steel.

He saw not a monster to remove, but a creature utterly deserving of death a thousand times over.

And for the second time in his life, he gave into his rage.

From the hill where I had taken my position, it was a story that any reporter would have killed for. All I could feel was intense worry, worry that my friend wasn't thinking clearly. He was only one man and speed notwithstanding, I had yet to meet a person to outrun a bullet. Not a word was spoken, so far as I could tell. The big guy and Lucifer stared at each other, for at least a good minute before Lucifer made the first move.

Somehow, between his fingers he produced throwing knives of a sort I'd never seen before. Long, elegant things so thin I almost believed they'd break. It seemed to be a signal and with whoops, the big guys thugs rushed forward to attack. Chainsaws, clubs, some nasty looking implements- These guys were all about getting up close and personal, using numbers to overwhelm opponents and disdaining ranged combat.

About a minute later, they and I would realize just how much of a bad idea that was.

I saw six go down before they even reached him, choking on their own blood with blades lodged in their throats. Anyone else would have seen it as a warning, that there was something more to this fight. But we're human, we hold our lives dear. These were animals.

All they saw was an unarmed man.

The first to reach him was sliced in half, a gleaming blade in the hands of Lucifer that glowed and reflected the light, giving it the appearance of a flaming brand.

The rest of them fell quickly in turn. They were used to helpless victims. To crippled folk and lone wanderers, to women and children. These weren't fighters. They were butchers.

So Lucifer treated them in the same manner. He moved like an animal, his weapon an extension rather then a separate tool in his hands, displaying a brutality that shocked me utterly, completely at odds to the man I thought I knew for a month.

He aimed for limbs, chopping off arms and letting them crawl away. Eyes blazing red and savage, like nothing the wasteland had ever seen. The ground around him lay with the littered arms of his victims- I refuse to say opponents. That implies the other has a chance of winning.

And through it all, the big mutant watched on in silence, like some pagan god accepting sacrifice. When the last one fell, I remembered to breath. It had only been ten minutes at best, but it seemed like an eternity. Why didn't the world stop? Why didn't all creation shun this carnage, the earth soaked in blood and the corpses tooth-marked and stripped of flesh? This was not a fight.

This was Hell, brought by these monsters and visited upon them by Lucifer.

Slowly, the big mutant yanked hard on his wrist weapon. The chainsaws roared into awakening, its owner having found someone worthy to use them on.

Before him, Lucifer slid into a stance strange to me. A crouch low to the ground, sword angled like a pool cue and the blade held lightly between his fingers.

Both monsters took each others measure.

And then the world went black.

I turned, all my rage vanishing into thin air at the noise. A quiet huff, so silent as to be nearly inaudible. The giant growled, thinking I was ignoring him. At that point, all was made clear and fear turned to certainty as a whooping noise came from darkness.

"Daaaaaamn, you fuckers have been busy! Hey Mars, look who I found!"

Coming down the hill, with the most insolent smirk I had the misfortune to see was another person. A hoodlum, with a wild poof of hair and what looked like a canister of fuel on his back, presumably for the instruments on his arms. I hated pyromaniac fighters. Anyone who indulged in such a way to kill people, were of the sort missing a screw or two. But in that moment, I didn't care.

For over his shoulder, out cold was Piper.

Things just went from bad, to worse.​

Part Seven: Red and Black

Strictly speaking, this was not the worst situation I had been in. But it ranked pretty damn close, all things considered. Piper in the hands of a psychopath.

The big mutant with his chainsaws looking at me. I could have taken them both out. But not like this. Not without endangering Piper.

I felt suddenly, very tired. A weariness in my limbs that had nothing to do with physical exhaustion pervaded me. The town I had befriended all but dead. Piper captured and most likely, dead on my account.

So much blood. Alaska, Italy, Ireland, America or even a thrice- damned alternate world like this, things were the same. Violence knew no boundaries and monsters were everywhere. Monsters wrapped in human form, of which in my anger I had abased myself to their level.

Give up.

I-.

Sleep.

My friends. How-.

You've done more then enough. Its hopeless.

...No. I refuse. I won't. I can't.

My hand clenched the handle of my sword, new strength flowing through my spirit. And then I caught a new sound. My eyes widened imperceptibly. Could it- I had to take the chance. I glared at the pyromaniac.

"So. What happens now?"

He smiled, so sure in victory as he laughed at the bloody priest. One hand reaching to idly grope Pipers breast and savoring the intense look of rage it elicited from Lucifer.

"Now? You drop your weapon. Or I snap her pretty little neck and give her body to Mars for a snack."

Lucifers eyes narrowed, the dull glow of red beneath the shadow of his hat brim giving him a savage appearance.

"As though you weren't already planning that."

He smirked, listening to the sound of a sword dropped with relish. Amiable in his victory, he shrugged nonchalantly. It was true enough.

Didn't mean they couldn't have fun though. His eyes flicked to Mars behind Lucifer with a nod.

And for Lucifer, pain became his world.

Ow... My head. I remember taking notes on the fight, ready to intervene. And then someone knocked me out. My legs felt like jelly, my stomach flip-flopped to match the hammer in my head. When I woke up, it was to a nightmare.

Me, captured and groped by some hick with a propensity for sadism and less for good hygiene.

Lucifer, without a weapon and enduring in silence the big mutant breaking his bones slowly. Both of us caught and in the blackest of positions. Wasn't like that execution I dodged neither, at least then I could have outsmarted my captors. Doing that here required a working brain on the part of those I seek to trick.

All the while, he didn't say a word. His left arm was bent in a way more suited for gnarled branches. Bone portruded like a macabre spike, the huffing of breath his only indication of pain. He didn't cry out, didn't give them the satisfaction.

I saw something in him at that point. More then the blood the town doctor did, then I had when he first came to town. I knew why he did what he did. Why he let himself be lured into situations any Wastelander wouldn't have cared about.

He could have lived. Hell, he could have won. I knew what he was capable of at this point. But for the sake of my life, a near stranger to him he took upon this pain. He suffered that I might live. I saw then what must have been his life before. I saw an empty room, bereft of the little things that make it a home and not just a place to store luggage.

I saw nights of intense training and lonely stakeouts, in spirit, gone and alone from those he may have worked with. I saw a hill of bodies, all slaughtered by his hands that people would live happily, in a way denied to him.

It infuriated me.

I saw a man who played with children, uncaring of personal dignity for the sake of fun. I saw someone who fixed roofs and herded animals for little more then something to eat and shelter. I saw not a drifter from the Wastelands, but a member of the town of Mercy. Someone who irrevocably, was everything at once... The man. The warrior.

The monster.

Self-sacrificing idiot.

"Get up."

I growled, uncaring of my position and enraged to the point I couldn't see straight. It reached Lucifer, as the snapping noise heralded another bone shattered. Beneath the haze of pain, he seemed confused.

"Get up! Don't worry about me! Send these fuckers to hell! What are you waiting for?!"

Red eyes that held no terror for me in the least anymore, looked into mine. A faint niggling at the corner of my thought distracting me slightly as he smiled and mouthed to me.

A.... Distraction?

My eyes widened as that faint niggling turned to certainty, as I realized what it was.

It was a plasma pistol charging.

In a burst of light and heat, Pipers captor's head shattered from the blast. And from the darkness, plasma pistol smoking was a little girl.

Death was a part of the wasteland, it hit everyone everyday. But while taking innocence, in its place it gave strength. Strength to stand, walk or crawl. Strength to keep moving forward despite everything. Somehow, she survived and followed to help. She killed the man, who had most likely killed her family.

Good. Sometimes, we need to put down our own monsters to ensure they stay dead.

And when I heard her in the dark, I decided to risk it. Mars, realizing what had happened stopped playing with his food, bringing down his chainsaw gauntlet to take my head.

By the time it swept through, I was already gone and swarming using an ability that came in handy for moments like this, as where I had once been flew a swarm of bats, going for the sword dropped.

I reformed in midair, tumbling and all my bones back in place as my bloodline asserted itself and I turned to face him. Standing right where I always would.

Between monsters and the people they preyed on. I angled my blade upwards, poised with my right hand holding it between my fingers as I crouched low to the ground in preparation for the spring.

A drop of sweat rolled down my cheek to hit the ground.

Like the starting signal for a race, we both moved in that instant as we came at each other. He was fast, for someone his size.

I was faster.

My blade stabbed upward as I ended up within his guard, going right under his chin on a direct collision course to the brain. By the time I landed on the other side, he was long since dead, crumbling like the tower of Babylon, blood spurting from the stump where the force of my blow ripped off his entire head.

With a grimace, I dislodged it from my blade and stumbled as everything hit me at once. That... Took a lot out of me. The regeneration, the transformation. I was a half blood... More gas to run the same miles required.

But it wasn't over yet. I turned in the direction of the town, feeling the weight of my years and the events of the past few hours all jumbling into one, big mass of exhaustion that settled somewhere around my stomach.

"Brother."

I turned at that plaintive voice, my heart breaking at the sight. Piper hugged her, giving her comfort sorely needed, but she didn't even feel it. Not a few hours before, this little girl was asking me if princess Buttercup survived.

Now she stared with haunted eyes, as she asked me.

"Are you going to kill him? The paladin who killed my family?"

I thought on what to say, for a minute. Finally, I simply decided on the truth and gave her the slowest of nods in confirmation.

Her eyes hardened, her tears long since exhausted.

"Good." Piper glanced at me, still rubbing her back gently with a mothering air I didn't expect from her. But with the same strength she showed earlier, she looked me in the eye and nodded.

"End it."

And so I did. The rest is barely worth mentioning. There was no showdown. No exchange of philosophy, no monologue on why he did what he did. A Damphir by night makes less noise then the night breeze.

Before dawn, I simply snuck close enough to decapitate him. Humans get fights.

Monsters get put down.

I spent the following day salvaging what I could, with Piper and Mary, the little girl. We buried our dead and I said a few words. Dust to dust. A few days later, a merchant caravan came to what was once the town of Mercy and that was that. Piper decided it was time to head back to Diamond City and she'd take Mary with her. Before they left, we had a little talk.

She was a little frustrated, obviously struggling for words. Finally, she just shook her head and asked.

"You sure you don't want to come back with us? Room for another, if you earn your keep."

It was sincerely meant and I actually considered it, before shaking my head.

"No. I think its time I went back on the road. Theres something I'm searching for and I've delayed long enough. For what it was worth? It was... Nice."

There was more I wanted to say, but Piper seemed to understand, a smile on her face as she cocked her head.

"Yeah. Gonna be one hell of a story. Doubt anyone will believe it though." I groaned in reply, rubbing my forehead and nudging the desperado hat I had added to my usual clothing. Back to my priest garb and longcoat, like an old friend. Worn, but not rent... Kind of like me.

"If you do, please don't mention me by name."

"Not used to the limelight?" She teased openly, a big smile crossing her features. I just shook my head, an awkward silence falling before I finally nodded my goodbye and turned to go.

"Wait."

I paused and Piper smirked, skipping towards me with hands behind her back.

"Close your eyes."

Resigned, I did as I was told and flinched at her hands touching mine as something heavy was strapped into place. I opened my eyes, blinking in surprise. Piper beamed.

"Its a Pipboy! If you're gonna travel, I figure you'll need a map. Got it at a sweet deal, bartering that bastards armor."

I was stunned and touched at the gesture. Sensing it, Piper scoffed and waved a hand. "Hey. Just promise you'll- I dunno, look me up if you ever hit Diamond City?"

Frankly speaking, it was more likely this would be the last time we ever saw each other. But we pretended otherwise, hating goodbyes as I just smiled.

"Hey." Piper came closer, leaning forward to press her lips on the side of my cheek. Five seconds later, she pulled back and gave me a sadder smile.

"You're not as bad as you believe you are."

Time to part ways. I stood and watched the caravan leave, till they were a dot in the distance as the sun began to set. In the graveyard that was once Mercy I paid my final respects and turned to leave, the Pipboy still an unusual weight. I'd have to get used to it. I played with the knobs and as the sun went down, I accidentally found the radio station.

Marty Robbins filled the air and as it did, I decided to let it be.

Time to go back on the road.

Things have changed, a lot not for the better. I had no idea why Mercy was attacked or if there were other towns, about to experience the same thing. I was still a long ways from home and all I loved, in a world I may very well live out my days.

There were worse fates.

Evil, despite what others would say was a universal thing. It consumed all it touched, it took everything and was here in this world as starkly as my own. So be it. Wherever I go, no matter the situation I knew my place. Between the victims it preyed upon and the face it showed to others.

Its my job after all.

My name is Father Lucifer Matthias Anghelscu.

And my story is just beginning.​

Part Eight: Ace of Spades

Dispatch 39
To: Agent Li Kleef
Subject: Western Coast Settlement Attacks

Due to the remote locations within the western territories, it has been difficult to get a clear picture of the extent of the damages suffered. Nevertheless, through various sources it has been abundantly clear that some party has declared war upon the Brotherhood of Steel. Villages have been razed, the Edens burned to the ground and our railroad construction workers attacked. Our Paladins have been thus far unable to determine the chief cause or reason, which is where you come in. Your standing orders are thus.

Discover the reason why these attacks have been happening.

Discover the responsible parties.

Send all information forwarded to the BoS chapter houses, wherever you find yourself. Keep us updated on your progress.

Li crumbled the dispatch, having long memorized its contents as she chucked it into the fire she had set up for her camp tonight. She wasn't particularly worried about anyone sneaking up, her turret she had set up humming quietly as it scanned the horizon. To the side, her bike laid quietly to the side as the majority of her spare equipment laid at rest in the briefcase she took them in.

She was a fan of traveling light, save for the odd sentimental trinket or two.

Hey, she even named the turret and everything.

f8ba9e6bd916e1ed07f2dcf9a3c61c78.jpg

Half Asian, half Cheyenne. All ornery and as rocky as a mountain path, as her granny used to say fondly about her. As time went on, there were several paths she could have taken in this world. One was to become a farmer, like her granny and the rest of her tribe. The second was to become a merchant and while traveling sounded nice enough despite the dangers, she had no patience for quibbling over caps. No, for Li the path she walked was fraught with peril- Defended with gunpowder, speed and more than a little luck.

And if she happened to help a select few along the way, so be it. Settlers and farmers had a tough time of things as it was. And people like the Brotherhood of Steel could well afford her prices. It worked out for everyone.

Well.... Almost. Very few could read between the lines, or if they did, hope was winning over pragmatism. The Brotherhood of Steel had been united into one group, but with other factions such as the NCR and the Legion, just to name two major groups? It was abundantly clear that they would not go quietly into the night, which would bode ill for anyone caught in the middle.

The Eden project? To cleanse the earth sounded like a wonderful idea, but hailing from a farmers community and in her travels she knew it was an impossibility. What would you do about the radioactive weather patterns? The water requirements alone would be better used for people. It might work as a community project, but not on the wide scale pitched to people. If ever the world would be cleaned, it would be a distant age when they all were long since dust.

And this was discounting what she knew of the Brotherhood in her long career working for them. Xenophobic, quasi-religious and powerful, none of which was a great recipe for any group, no matter the world. Maybe it would have been easier to relocate, to get away from this world and all it entailed. In the end however, they couldn't. The people of this world grew up rough and rugged, gaining an iron core to their spirits. They tamed the land, some inheriting it from their families. Savage, radioactive- it was home. Li couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

At any rate, like most who grew to adulthood in the Wasteland, Li was first and foremost a pragmatic at heart. Time enough to examine her personal thoughts at length later. She had an investigation to run. And if her charts were correct, her first lead should be within a two hour drive from here.

The ex-settlement known as Mercy.​

Part Nine: Ashes to Ashes

Li was not a superstitious person by any means.

Nevertheless, even coming within a two mile radius of the settlement ruins sent a chill up her spine. The sun was high in the sky, but she felt chilled to the bone. Colors seemed muted, grainy even in her sight and there was a constant, background whisper underlying it all. Words half understood, that when focused upon vanished to become the wind.

It got worse when she actually saw the ruins. Charred spikes of wood jutted from the earth, like the ribs of some great beast. Anything salvageable had long since been taken, picked clean by scavengers. But the most disconcerting thing was the headstones.

Crude crosses, scattered across what had been the town square. Some dug up, by predators for things that made her queasy to contemplate. It was still the Wasteland after all. Some people weren't particularly picky where they got their protein. This was a ghost town, in every sense of the word. And both her Chinese and her Cheyenne heritage were standing at attention, screaming that this was a bad place to be.

Li ignored it.

Now according to the Diamond City newspaper, the reporter behind the article had a lot to say regarding the events. Claiming to be one of three survivors from a population of a hundred souls, the article read more like a Silver Shroud radio drama. A traitorous Paladin, a wanderer from the Wasteland. Monsters and last minute rescues- It certainly made for entertaining reading.

Li herself kept a copy of the article, ripped out from the paper for light reading in between jobs. Now it would come in handy, as she unfolded it carefully to look it over. She skipped over the more fantastic details, looking for a list of locations of the old settlement. Aha- There it is. Looking up, Li's gaze would fall upon the ruins of what had once been the bar, the site of Paladin Sentenza's betrayal. Perhaps she would find what she was seeking there.

--------------------------------

She was wrong and now she was getting annoyed as the sun began to set, a long and fruitless search done and accomplishing nothing. It was a long shot, but it had been too much to hope that any power armor or equipment would have been left behind. Scavengers were too keen and bulky and selective as such things were, it was too rare a prize to pass up. Well, there was nothing here but ashes. A sad, twisted spectrum of a town lost in its prime.

She turned to leave.

From the ground, it burst free from the earth.

aae39d0d3d7469b7546a810f75a87ce1.jpg

It was a nightmare meld of machine and flesh. She could smell the stench of decay heavy upon it, hear the creaking of artificial limbs as it freed itself from the earth, as though it had shot right up from Hell. It moved like a spider, an unnatural twitch to its appearance rendering it more inhuman than her first impression had already had. Her first reaction was fear.

Her second was to shoot it in the eye.

Out of instinct and reflexes honed by a lifetime of trouble, Li screamed bloody murder as she fanned her revolver, the bullet spread smashing into the right eye as the creature staggered from the blows. She didn't stop to think if it bled or was just a robot.

All she knew was that it was the perfect opportunity to get the hell out.

She leaped on the bike and didn't let up, till an hour later. Tired, freaked out and more then a little confused she looked back in the direction of Mercy and groaned aloud. Contrary to her usual thoughts, there was something fishy about all of this. That was nothing like any Wasteland monstrosity she had shot in her time...Which meant whatever it was hiding, she had to return.

She should have become a farmer.​

Part Ten: The Caged Bird

"From one cage, to another. Seems rather indicative of your life, doesn't it Miss?"

In the heart of the Imperial Wasteland, upon the seat of power overlooking the entire area the leader of the Triads and the de facto master of the Throne stared out with a smirk from his personal quarters. The safest place imaginable, guarded by his forces and allies- Which considering his current guest, truly wasn't so surprising. She was a valuable commodity after all. He turned to look at her, stepping around a fancy coffee table as he sat on the pristine couch before it- A luxury in the Wastelands, to have furniture that didn't look tattered and food that didn't make you sick. Why should he hold back from the better things in life? Lighting up a cigarette with a snap of his fingers, he brought the flame close- puffing away as he stared at his guest.

She stared back, defiant as the first day she got here as he smirked.

"Not that any of us are any different. Look outside! Nothing but rubble and filth, its rather like ruling a landfill. Whoever has the most power, controls the majority of shit. Even our money is trash, a laughing stock outside of our world. Something the Brotherhood can't see, nor any of the other factions in this Caucus Race."

That got a reaction from her as she blinked in startled surprise. The Leader chuckled, a smirk crossing his face once more as he shook his head.

"Surprised? I am a cultured man- Books are my valued treasures. Knowledge, things that are taken for granted offworld. I want off, Miss....But I will not do so, devoid of the power I have become accustomed to. Which is where you come in."

He indicated with his head as he continued on.

"Offworlders, I have always questioned and I pay a high price for them from the Legion when they come through. Finding you in particular among them, was like finding a diamond in a dung heap. Utterly priceless, more so considering the fate of the others like you."

He grinned, no mirth and showcasing teeth sharpened to serrated edges.

"Each one killed by the whims of some child throwing a temper tantrum. It drives the price up, means I'll have more to squeeze from interested parties seeking you out."

He scoffed and waved a hand at her expression.

"Oh don't look at me like that. You didn't think I got you for your looks? I'm not that sort of man and you'll be more valuable untouched and unsullied. Should you be dissatisfied with your current state of affairs?"

He gestured out to the wide expanse that the view afforded.

"Feel free- to terminate our relationship at any time. They'll be no songbird to your rescue nor any last minute bouts of heroism either. I've well prepared for this, since I first had word of you...More so, in this war I wage against the Brotherhood of Steel."

".....You're going to die."

It was a voice devoid of anger, or any sort of emotion. More a tired declaration of fact as its owner stared at the man who had been her captor all this time, since she came to this world. She had hoped with the Brotherhood presence and thus the Coalition, she might have some measure of anonymity....No such luck.

latest

And with a dark grin, the Leader replied softly.

"Everyone dies my dear. Everyone dies."

And he was gone, leaving Elizabeth Comstock alone in the room as she stared out into the night, willing for something to come along to help her out of this. Her options were few- And what she found out about this world was worse then any of her imaginings.

People had to be warned.

==================

By the ruins of Mercy, a gunslinger holstered her pistol with a flourish, lamenting the loss of her motorbike as the ruins of it burned where it crashed into the monster.

Upon a hill overlooking the city, red eyes peered out at his first glimpse of the Imperial Wasteland.

In a clinic, an Assassin woke up to the face of Curie.

All these different people, each with unrelated stories of one sort or another....All of them players, though unknowing in the same situation that had the potential to engulf this world in conflict and renewed war.

Let the games begin.​

Part Eleven: The Grandmaster

This little world is one of many, among the millions that exist in the cosmos and among time. An Earth that had succumbed to the desolation of nuclear war. From the Wasteland, emerged a new society forged from the flames of that conflict. And from this conflict, emerged the thorn in our side that would become the Brotherhood of Steel, one of the chapters that ally with the Coalition. Not that we need do much of anything where they are concerned. The Coalition spreads itself thin, its power and standing weakened in the wake of the scandal regarding the Grand Hotel. And as they strive desperately to retain their power, all over the multiverse we have been at work.

When Akibaraha died, it was us who divided the fools pieces among ourselves. Anyone who fails as abjectly as he did, deserves to be nothing but food, as is our way.

When Darth Rex fell, a little bribe in the right place pushed him off the wheel of reincarnation and into our hands, where after gaining all we needed, he too was shredded. His essence, feeding the rest of us.

The cursed earth of Silent Hill has passed into our hands, slowly being forged into a world more fit for our needs.

All of this, mere small steps in a grander scheme we have planned. It has begun, in the Wasteland World.

Fear and sacrifice empowering the Ghost Rocks which had seen so much potential and success in other worlds, hope dying ignominiously-It has been a good work, for those of us who deal in such things. After all....

Its just good business.

giphy.gif

"Ghost rocks?"

"Ah forgive me. I forget, despite your prolific interests, that there are indeed some things of which you were ignorant of. You'll excuse me for saying it of course."

"Not at all. An interesting move by the way."

"Despite our policy of playing safe investments, I believe a little risk now and then is vital for true and stunning success to be won. Ah, but yes the Ghost Rocks. Irradiated coal, empowered by the souls sacrificed on its ground and fed by fear. A recent resource, newly 'discovered' by our agents acting as the spearhead in that world. Its properties have been proven beyond a doubt to be quite effective- And in a world, so deprived of any power it could and will be just the thing to fling their society into a great future...And all the while, feeding the dormant powers of that world to our benefit. I forsee in a hundred or so years, that world will be ripe for our more direct influence."

"Not exactly in any great hurry, aren't you?"

"Why not? We were here since the beginning. We were there when Lilith was driven from the Garden, when Cain slew his brother. We saw Sodom and Gommorah rise, the pinnacle of our work and lamented when He brought them down. Rome burned and we danced in delight. The Mi-Go went to war against the Yellow Sign, and we supplied both sides of the conflict. We are very old sir...I invite you, to consider that in your dealings with us."

"To what purpose though? If you've power and resources, why do you not conquer all in your path?"

"As you did? Or Akibahara? No, no, no- Such endeavors always end poorly. No exceptions. Perhaps not now, perhaps a thousand years from now. But at some point, some smartass collective of adventurers, heroes and ner-do-wells will band together and fight. Open conflict, begets open conflict. Isn't that what your vaunted Murder Games were for?"

The other was silent in reply, moving his piece as one gloved hand toyed with a pendant, a sign of a red cross. Innocuous and unknown to many, save a select few in the multiverse with true knowledge of its meaning.

"We do enjoy the idea- Cut out the idea of war, bring in the Murder Games and the factions vying for supremacy. Traitor and otherwise... Its quite exciting, isn't it?"

"But it IS war you seek? Why else would you approach me and my people?"

"Why else indeed? Grandmaster, if I may? You know what we represent, what we offer. Our Shareholders can provide much to you and yours, as we have to others before you. We offer weapons. We offer territories. We offer assets, useful to you. All we ask in return is that you have the will to use them...And turn your attention to this world in particular."

"Lets say that I do- It draws attention to me and mine. What reason would I have to seize this....High target world? Its as much as an open declaration of war to its supporters and allies."

"Whomever do you mean, Grandmaster? The Coalition as we discussed is on the brink- The locals are admittedly tenacious, but primitives with jury-rigged technology should be no match for you and yours. Just...Do what you usually do. You have experience with pacifying worlds as I recall. This is just one more...And to sweeten the deal, I was instructed to reveal this last bit of information."

Across the board, the figure adjusted his tie before grinning at the masked man before him.

"Did you know Desmond Miles is alive?"

"......."

The Grandmaster of the Templar order leaned forward as he stared at the other, emerging into the light.

90b710da4c943bf54243467676ae1560.jpg

"I'm listening."

Part Twelve: Welcome to the New Age

ACU_DK-Village_concept.jpg

Big cities, no matter the world had a certain quality to them. Any area with a large gathering of people, tended to create its own rules and regulations. For example, our here near to the Imperial Wastelands where New York City once stood, the rule was not of Steel, but rather the Triads. Thus you had less an officious looking score of guards and more an eclectic, if arguably deadlier mix keeping the peace. Massive Super Mutants lumbering with makeshift maces slung over their shoulders, guards armed with an array of guns, less disciplined perhaps but making up for it with a more intense savagery.

Power Armor was rare, as well as a point hotly contested over with by the Brotherhood of Steel. But whatever the Triads managed to find, they gave the armor their own flourish, spikes welded onto the pieces and paint jobs more fitting with their own colors. So while uncommon, it wasn't a matter unheard of to walk the smoking streets and see from the haze, like some monstrous golem of the stories one of these obstinately named "Peacekeepers" of the Triad. Everyone else just called them the Yama for short and tried to stay out of their way. Still, life wasn't entirely bad. At least no more harsher than the rest of the Wastelands out there.

And at least they were well protected and had shelter from the acid rains and enough to eat and drink. It was more than most would ever get in this benighted world and in a smokey bar known as the Watering Hole on the outskirts of the city, four people would be playing a game of Caravan in the corner. One drifter, three locals. A Triad middleman dealer, a sewer worker and a ghoul thug. All casually dealing out cards as they kept up a conversation about how things were going in the Imperial Territories.

The triad middleman peered at his cards, the chinese dragon tattoo standing out starkly against his face before he raised his bet and voiced out casually.

"So there was a skirmish between the Brotherhood and our side today. About five districts from here, was pretty bloody. Triad lured em down the street and set off a sinkhole trap. Got all of em in one blow."

The sewer worker, still somewhat smelly from his work snorted and spat in the corner before looking back. He was a cautious man and eventually would fold as he spoke.

"You were there? Shoot, you know how much work it gave us?! Won't have water in that area for about a week tops."

The ghoul peered at the drifter, a desperado hat such as those out in the more rural wastelands seemed to favor covering his features. though it was little hindrance to see if he was still in. Seeing it was so, he then added to the growing pile in the middle as he spoke.

"Smoothskins, y'all are the same. Don't matter what happens to the little guys, so long as you get your little patch of ground."

The triad man gave the ghoul a hurt expression to which the latter amended.

"Well not you exactly, but you know what I mean. Brotherhood won't rest till every bit of the Wastelands fall under their control. I ain't a fan of martial law, but still..."

The triad man nodded as he peered at his cards and said casually.

"Well, don't worry so much about em. Only place they can go is around the outer rim areas. They're too weak, to go charging up in the middle centric rings. Anyway, soon enough they'll cease to be a problem too. I ain't at liberty to say...But I can tell you with confidence, that we got something which is gonna change the face of the Wasteland powers-that-be for good!"

He placed his hand with a flourish...And blinked as the silent drifter placed down his hand of a 27 hand value to his own 24 and the ghouls 22.

The hat brim lifted slightly and while he had been drinking, the triad man could have sworn in the shadows of the place that the drifter had red eyes.

Lucifer stared at the people he played with before finally speaking.

"Now that sounds very interesting."

---------------

From the moment he put down his hand, he could sense the sudden spike in tension from his card opponents. The ghoul was twitchy, hand making a small gesture for his weapon. The sewer worker cleared his throat and quietly, sidled away as Lucifer ignored him for the third man. The Triad Enforcer, low-to-middling but suitable for his purposes. A beat passed, the ghoul and the enforcer exchanged a glance before the ghoul spoke casually.

"Desperado hat...Duster. Red eyes. Y'know, I can't help but remember something about a wanted poster for a man fitting that description."

The Triad Enforcer nodded in turn, solemn as he spoke.

"Yeah, some guy stirring up trouble in the Wasteland wherever he goes. Disrupting slave caravans, weapon shipments and making himself a nuisance. Brotherhood don't like him, Legion wants his head... You make friends easy, little man?"

"Its nice to be appreciated for what you do."

Was Lucifer's sardonic reply as one hand toyed with a bottle cap, flicking it in a display of dexterity around his fingers, flip-flop as he kept his eyes on both men before adding.

"Not looking for trouble boys- I just want information. I'm even willing to pay for it."

"Under normal circumstances, we might have been able to oblige you. But these ain't normal times. You hear about all sorts of shit happening out in the Wasteland these days. Tales of towns, burned to the ground and their people killed for no rhyme or reason. Of dead areas, where it feels like your soul is kicking and screaming to keep in your body whenever you breath. Of things in the dark and all these constant skirmishes to boot. No offense...But I think we'll take the easy money."

And through the table, he pulled the trigger as the gun he fired towards Lucifer echoed wildly as the inaudible thump of a bullet echoed in the sudden quiet bar. Looking down, a dark stain erupting over Lucifer's chest as a beat passed and with a grunt of surprise, he fell face forward. Cards and caps from the previous game scattered as the triad man peered closely.

"....Well, that was easy. Didn't know what I was expecting."

"Hey, take it from someone who's seen it all. Everyone dies the....Same...."

His voice trailed off as Lucifer was slowly, sitting back up to his old posture. His back straight and stiff as his eyes blazed brightly in contrast to the smolder from before. He stared at them both as the Ghoul said dryly.

"That's new."

The Triad enforcer nodded.

And then all hell broke loose.​

Part Thirteen: The Lion and the Bat

I really was a masochist.

Either that, or I had a flair for the dramatic as a friend once told me as I rose up from my formerly slumped pose, seemingly none the worse for wear for that bullet in my chest. It was painful, don't get me wrong. It was indescribable, save for a metaphor involving hot irons and the shoving of them forthwith in the afflicted area, but insofar as I know? I was one of the only ones in this world, who had ever been shot fatally and lived to tell the tale.

Rumors surrounding New Vegas notwithstanding. But where was I? Oh, right.

All hell was breaking loose.

I had no time to draw weapons, so I just used what was available. I kicked the table, cards and tokens flying everywhere to set it between me and the three I had joined, each one of them important to my cause. The sewer worker had a knowledge of the Imperial City's underground- A guide I could use to avoid the worse of the fighting as well as detection. The Ghoul was actually a Brotherhood informant- I wasn't exactly flavor of the week with them to be honest, despite their hold in the events offworld. Too many of them were set in their ways, despising those too different, too weak- Or too synthetic. All of which had my hackles raised as I found myself poking my nose in their affairs one too many times.

The last one could give me the rundown on the events taking place now. The Triads were the real power here, as well as my current target for what they had. A way to return home, a way to go back to everything familiar.

I just had to ask him real nicely.

I grabbed one of the glass bottles, tossing it upward and watches as bullets shattered it to bits as I brushed the shards off the brim of my hat. Ok. Well, I should be relatively alri- The distinct click of a minigun echoed loudly in the sudden silence.

I bolted.

Where the heck do they keep these weapons?!

Triad was laughing, I could see from the corner of my eye as he guided the minigun barrel to follow my route. Sewer man had fled the scene, Ghoul stayed behind as he fired whenever he saw me. I ducked and flipped directly behind the wet bar, my pipboy that I could never get the hang of blaring music which while appreciated on the road, only added to the plethora of confusion that the rounds and the violence had invoked. In the breather, I could feel my wounds healing, drawing heavily on the life-giving qualities of blood I had been carefully storing up for the past week. I had to end this fast and I reached for the revolver I had kept and never fired, since in all the time I've been here. Like riding a horse- You never really forgot.

I rose up and fanned it, the bullets roaring as I fired. Five shots before stopping as things came to a halt.

Ghoul and Triad stood dumbfounded, the bullets having shown the windows, a dart board by the door and a fallout sign a lesson they'd never forget. All of them, about six to five feet away from their targets. The awkwardness grew and I would have preferred them to just shoot me now. Ghoul spoke cautiously.

"Was- Was that supposed to hit us?"

"....No." I said with the best poker face I could muster.

And taking my time to aim, I raised my gun and shot the only light source in the room.

The swinging light bulb, the only solitary survivor of the shootout went the way of its comrades, plunging the room into shadows and half-formed shapes, lit up only by the muzzle flashes of the two as they fired wildly everywhere. Everywhere that is, except where I actually was.

I dropped from the ceiling between the two and bit down hard on Triad's shoulder. Something about the venom I produce acts as an intense narcotic of sorts...Lowers inhibitions, sends pleasure coursing through the nerves and lulls the victim into a sense of ease. I've bartered it before to witches, for love potions and managed to slow someones heart enough with it to keep them alive once. Here, it would muddle up his mind and refresh me enough to knock him out with a blow to the head.

He dropped to the floor and Ghoul switched to a kukri. Nasty little thing, but well cared for from what I could see. No glint either, this was a weapon enhanced for silent kills. He was very good at it too, the blow was the work of a professional as it came for my throat.

My hand rose up to meet it, gripping his wrist as I applied a little of my strength to break it. Ignoring his swearing, I turned my head slightly to regard him, only imagining what I looked like to him now. A tall, dark figure. A shadow deeper then the darkness around us as red eyes like the gates of hell peered down in dispassionate curiosity.

I really am dramatic.

"...Lets talk."

------------------------

Only two districts away there was a clinic. Run by some robot with a french accent as she tended to the Ghoul, still muttering a curse against me, my future children and my mother he glared as she tended to his wrist.

"That was a dick move bro."

"I said I was sorry. Also, you shot me. Fairs, fair."

The ghoul grunted and flexed his fingers, working out the motor functions as he growled.

"We knew enough about you that you'd survive. The plan was to fake your death and then we talk. I thought you could read minds or something?"

I sighed inwardly. No, reading minds wasn't something I could do. Nor did I care to learn by any means available. All I did was use my senses- I listened to a heartbeat speed up, I read the faint shifting of flesh as its owner changed intentions into actions. I looked at the direction of a gun barrel and ran the opposite way it would shoot. Nothing psychic about it, just training and experience for little details.

"I'm a Damphir, not Professor X."

"Who?"

".....Never mind. Anyway, its not something I can do. So. What can you share with me?"

The Ghoul grimaced and shook his head. "Nothing you wouldn't already suspect. War in the Imperial Wasteland is currently at a stalemate. We're unwilling to unleash superior firepower- The locals are somewhat dissatisfied with the fighting and its as much propaganda as it is practicality. We don't want to trash such a lucrative neighborhood, if we can help it. Also, the Imperial Throne- Site of the old Empire State Building is where your target is most likely hiding. If you manage to take her away from here, it'll throw a wrench into the Triads forces for sure. No more fielding weird bullshit, it'll be local firepower versus OUR firepower. Got a way in?"

"I was considering flying."

".....Right, you have fun with that."

I nodded and turned to leave, the last I heard of the ghoul being his voice as he said to someone I didn't see as I walked down the hallway.

"-And what are you supposed to be?"

---------------------

There are few things I enjoy about being a Damphir. Appreciating is one thing, enjoying is a horse of a different color. I appreciated the fact my body was hardier and faster, but I despised the sick, sensation of pleasure every time I tasted blood to live. I appreciated the almost animalistic senses that let me do my job more effectively, but I seethed at the idea it was meant to hunt humans by and large. I appreciated that I could move through darkness with less noise then the wind, and mourned that it was in the cover of night that I thrived rather then the warm sunlight that my friends enjoyed so much. I had never felt so much at home, then I had in the muck of humanity and hidden alike.

And it sickened me to the core.

But I did so enjoy flying.

As a swarm of bats in the dark skies, I flew towards the Empire State Building. The ruins still tall and proud in this ruined world, despite all that had happened. It was here that I would find my way home, the person I had sought for almost a year now in this world.

The woman known as Elizabeth Comstock.

A witch, a conduit or whatever else the stories claimed, they said she had power. Power to rip holes in time and space, to any world she deemed. Alternate worlds, worlds of wonder and of savagery. She sounded like the best thing I could have hoped for, short of trusting myself to a strange magus, paying sorcery's hidden price that always accompanied such a thing. It was either that- Or live out my life in a world and hope I found a way off in time. That was no option at all to my mind. So I found a lead. I came to this world and found more strife then I ever imagined.

But she was here.

She was hiding out, once in the mountains by where Mercy was located. From there, I followed her trail across the wastelands. From slaver train to this point, I was about to finally attain my goal. I can only hope she was in a talkative mood as I landed on a level and reformed back to my usual form.

So close, so desperate I had let my guard down and as I entered through the door into an opulent room, something slammed in the back of my head hard enough to send me to the floor. I was startled, but the pain was momentary as I rolled and turned to see who it was.

tumblr_nv9r6kUoOH1udxxg7o2_400.gif

"I warn you. I am armed and....Very, very cross right now."

....Well. Younger then I expected. Cute too, almost reminding me of Isabelle. Something about the bookworm nature as I glanced at my surroundings and raised my hands in pacification.

"I believe you. Umm- Are you, Elizabeth Comstock? I've kinda been searching for you for a year."

She blinked, confused at first before she noticed my eyes. But rather then curiosity I saw something else that puzzled me mightily. Fear- Not of me. But for me. Had we met before? Before I could ask, she reached down to grab my arm and try to pick me up, the action revealing what looked like some kind of tattoo on her left hand. A pentacle? I didn't think there were any mages in this world, though perhaps it was outside work?

"You got to get out of here! He's expecting you, its a trap-!"

"Lucifer Matthias Anghelscu. Twenty-eight years old, rank of Executor in the Burial Agency. Twenty-seven successful missions on record. You first crossed our path in your own world, though you never knew. Here, you've truly become a thorn in our side as you continue your general method of doing everything you can to make yourself a nuisance."

That voice...Here?!

Elizabeth looked wary and stepped back. Even without the voice, I would have noticed her sooner then later. The blood that splattered her face sent my body through throes of mingled arousal and hunger that came with who she was and the blood warred with my horror and sorrow. We'd fought together- I even learned from her father, in a crusade long since turned to impressions in my mind. My voice quavered and I swallowed. I tried to speak again.

"....Yomi?"

She stepped out into the light and smiled, tears brimming in her eyes. At the sight of her pain, I wanted nothing more then to run towards her and find out what was going on.

11-07.jpg

The moment I tried she raised her sword, despite it as she spoke.

"No. Hear me out, I haven't much time."

So many questions poured into my head, as I stayed my hand, a swords-length away from from getting skewered and not caring as I noted the blade in her hand. It looked...Strange. This wasn't Shishio- This was a cursed blade. A darker, hungrier spirit radiated from the sword and I was a good enough swordsman to know it. Seeing Yomi wield it was as unnerving as seeing a care bear with a bloody axe. It just didn't mesh together and and hurriedly, she continued.

"I...I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. A lot happened since we last saw each other. A lot of grief...A lot of pain. My soul is gone. But my family is safe- And honestly, its all that matters to me now. You were my friend. Someone I trusted and maybe even- But its not important now. I'm working for a new organization now- One that made damned sure to get their hands on me, when I hit rock bottom. So for the sake of our friendship and whatever we had? Please."

She looked me in the eye. I always thought she had beautiful eyes and even her pain and tears merely enhanced them. I always had a thing for several types of women...Those in pain. Those who fought. Those who I wanted to save, at whatever cost. Yomi looked me in the eye, desperate as she spoke.

"Walk away from Elizabeth. Please. Stay alive, forget everything you ever were. Its not a bad world here, isn't it?"

I looked at the sword she held...Looked at Elizabeth and finally turned around. I strode quietly, putting distance between us as I slid into a stance she herself had helped me with....Once upon a time. My hand went to the handle of Saint Guillotine as the blade activated to life, the holy properties a stark counter to Yomi and her new, demonic sword.

"You knew my answer before you came. Yomi....Who did you just kill recently?"

She sniffed, wiping her face with a watery expression as she gestured to Elizabeth.

"Her former master. He outlived his usefulness...Lucifer."

She sheathed her sword and took in a deep breath.

"If you survive, when next we meet...I can promise it won't end well for one of us. Goodbye my friend."

"Wait. Please! What happened?! Why? Whats going on?!"

Thoughts of home were eradicated in an instance as she vanished in a flicker of flames that despite its heat, turned my blood to ice as all my fears were realized in an instance. I recognized that fire, what it meant and who she might be working for now....Or rather what. Home could wait.

I was going to break her free if it took everything I was and would be.

"Look out!"

Elizabeth said it was a trap for me and my haste and current state, I was in no shape to avoid the crossbow bolt that came for me.

It plunged into my shoulder, embedding itself deep and causing me to gasp with pain as it rocketed through my arm. Wrenching it out, I peered at the one who shot it, starting at the strange necklace that glinted around his neck.

5402943-sin+título-1.jpg

Elizabeth's master had offworld connections. Why else would he have known about Elizabeth herself, or be in a position to talk to Yomi? And considering the hellfire she vanished in, I could hazard a guess what exactly that offworld connection might have been. But it was the identity of the stranger that got me. I didn't recognize him in the slightest, but in the way he moved- The sword he drew from his back, I recognized him immediately. There was a name for his kind, those who made a living seeking out creatures like me.

"Hunter", I said softly, bringing my blade up to a ready position, my wound healing as I gripped my sword tightly.

The stranger merely stared dispassionately as we began to circle each other, broadsword briefly crossing with my katana as he corrected in a gruff tone.

"Witcher."

And then there was only the fight.

Part Fourteen: Endgame (I)

Sparks flew with every swing, the ring of iron on iron filling the library as the two warriors clashed. There was no hesitation from the other in their hand, nor was there any plea for mercy that left the others lips. Both men were aiming to kill and all Elizabeth could do was watch them. One the Man in Black, currently tumbling to the side to avoid a upper-slash from his opponent, his hat tumbling off and away to the side as the black desperado hat fluttered off in the wind as the sun continued to set upon the Imperial Wasteland. A thunderous noise in the background she knew to be heavy weapons fire added to the haze of this violent world as once more, she cursed the mark that kept her powers in check. Rising from his predatory crouch, the Man in Black roared at his opponent, eyes blazing bright like beacons of hellfire in the darkness as fangs gleamed. Like a sick joke, his silver crucifix dangled around his neck freely in sharp contrast to his current state, as shadows seemed to stick to him like great wings, spreading as he raised his weapon. And yet, the most ironic thing about this monstrous warrior to her, was what he was known for. As the former Triad Leader learned more about this thorn in his side, so too did Elizabeth Comstock. The Man in Black they called Lucifer who traveled from town to town, always leaving it better than he had arriving. He slew Mars, the Super Mutant Cannibal and the Traitor Paladin, Sentenza. The Diamond City Gazette praised his name and his deeds, the writer claiming to have met him. Caesars Legion knew him as Strigoi Mort and it was a rare battalion who knew of him in the area, who would dare march at night.

From NCR ranger to simple Wasteland Farmer, everyone along his trail had a story to tell, comparing it to those of Paladin Riley and his journey or even further west, as tales of the Courier were bantered around the campfire for those interested in such tales. History was shaped by the stories of the mighty- good and bad. If there was anyone who knew that well, it was Elizabeth Comstock. Just one among many, who saw her counterparts dying and sought to escape it, to hide if only to live for a little while longer. At least, till she finished her work. This was the entire reason she came here as a matter of fact, knowing what she did.

In seeing every would-be or could-be dimension, a pattern began to emerge. Violence instigated, folks dead or dying who otherwise might have made a difference. A society distorted into Might Makes Right and death following soon after. World upon world, snuffed out as though by a candle. Not even Akibahara's Murder Game formula could incite such widespread destruction, filtered into a lesser form now with his death and yet, still causing pain and suffering like the ripples from a tossed stone, disturbing the stillness of the lake. Strife begat conflict, from the seeds of conflict, the fruits of war.

And in every war, there were always jackals and vultures to descend and glut upon what was left.

In contrast to the quick, snake-like movements of Lucifer's blade, his opponent was more overpowering and savage. Experience gave his blade power and his wrath turned it a pale white in the fading light as it sliced the air, crashing upon Lucifers sword as the White Wolf raged against the Half-Vampire. An Executor and a Witcher, in one place- It truly was a small multiverse. And with every slice he came close to Lucifer's extremities and limbs, Elizabeth cursed the woman who named him as a possible agent. Yomi- That was her name. Elizabeth committed it to memory, knowing it was likely she was working for the organization whose hand had descended over all she had seen.

Her knowing Lucifer was a surprise though. Right now though, such mysteries could wait for a better time. This fight had little meaning, yet both thrust themselves within it with such fevor as to stagger her. It was impossible for either of them to have known each other, each from such staggeringly different universes. So what was the connection?

Why throw themselves so intensely into a fight that had no meaning?

-------------------------

Lucifer was losing.

Despite the fact his abilities were allowing him to keep up, this warrior was more then just a simple sellsword- He was a magus. Glyphs flashed, brought into life with a myriad of effects that made his own strikes reduced to little more then quick, teasing strikes- Moves meant to see what his opponent was capable of. What he discovered was something that had him grit his teeth as he rolled to avoid a stream of fire, or found himself knocked backwards as he swung to an unprotected area and found himself repulsed by a shield that returned his force tenfold. But more then that, then anything was this little tidbit.

This man wanted to kill him.

It was personal.

Who was he? He had never met someone like him, in all his memory. Not in his world nor the two he had occasion to find. And yet, it was unmistakable. There was no faking that look of intense hatred, nor that almost surgical application of deadly skill as he did his best to remove Lucifer's head from his shoulders. Bringing up his sword in a block, he stepped forward as Geralt did the same, both staring intense with their swords in between as sparks flew from the force both exerted against the other, Lucifer finally spitting out the question that plagued him.

"Who are you? What have I ever done to you?"

A flash of ire appeared in the yellow eyes of the old wolf as he bared his own fangs and snarled in Lucifer's face as his knuckles turned white on the handle of the sword he wielded.

"You took EVERYTHING!"

He broke off the clash, charging forward as the air sung with the song of iron. Again and again, he forced Lucifer back to the edge where the drop awaited the unwary as he roared.

"SHE WAS YOUNG! STILL LEARNING THE WAYS OF THE WORLD WHEN THAT THRICE-DAMNED EVENT TOOK HER! AND YOU AND THOSE OTHERS LEFT HER TO DIE! DO YOU REMEMBER NOW?!"

Lucifer was shocked and in that moment, he let his guard down as Geralt roared and swung his sword.

With a sound like bells, Saint Guillotine shattered from the blow, about a jagged six inches of blade left on the sword that was once whole. Geralt didn't care, driving his fist into Lucifer's stomach and backhanding him with the pommel. Hit by the blows and yet in shock at the accussation, Lucifer crumbled. The handle of his blade rolling from his open hand and falling after his hat, soon lost in the distance below. Geralt turned Lucifer on his back as he pointed his sword at his throat.

"Look at me- LOOK AT ME!"

Red met yellow as Geralt breathed in deeply and spoke.

"Look at me...And see the face of the woman you all left to die....Ciri."

Lucifer's pupils dilated as it suddenly became clear...

*Flashback*

"I'm not entirely sure what you all are doing up here, but I have a question that you'll all probably find important!" Called Ciri, her focus finally breaking. She rubbed her head to ward off some headache from whatever she was attempting, and after whoever was interested came back down spoke.

"Right. So I'm sure you're all as curious as I am as to what the hell is going on here, but... well, I'm not entirely sure its our problem. And there are things occurring that are my problem back in my own world. World ending, very important problems. Whatever happened here, whatever's going on..." She shrugged, trying not to sound too cold. " Either this world can take care of itself, its already ruined, or I can always come back later if I find the time. But first I need to get back home, and I'm sure many of you feel the same. So, whoever has a burning desire to figure out what terrifying magic absolutely wrecked this place, I'm not going to kidnap you or anything, but whoever would rather go home to their own world... I can do that. So. Who's coming along?" she asked with an easy grin.

It was a motley crew. Ciri herself, a teenager who played with fire, a black knight massive and easily looming over everyone, a red-hooded huntress...And him.

An Executor of the Burial Agency, a long way from home.

"Respectfully lady magister, I must decline your generous offer."

Awarding Ciri the respective nominal title in recognition, Lucifer stepped forward to explain. "Among our discoveries were two bodies, flung back into the wall. Coupled with the already shattered glass and none on the ground in our immediate area, this indicates something with enough force blasted it prior to our coming... Someone else much like us I presume, on a more powerful scale."

He turned to the group as a whole.

"Or am I alone in my experiences? Memories of a diverted lifetime, that vague memory of a malignant nature before awakening?" He turned back to Ciri. "If trap this is, by some Outsider I would prefer to prevent it in its conception. So I humbly express my grattitude for your offer and wish you well in returning home." He glanced at the rest and smiled.

"Good luck to the rest of you."

And alone if need be, he turned to make his way out of the room if possible, leaping back to the control room to search the bodies for any sort of key card if they had one.

No telling if one had, but if he was to do this alone, he couldn't afford to slack.

Ciri shrugged, her face growing solemn for the first time to Lucifer as she nodded to him. "Not sure whether I'd consider that very stupid or very brave, but either way I wish you luck. As for the rest of you, no reason for us to tarry here any longer than necessary" She said firmly as she concentrated again and splayed her hands in front of her. "If you could all take a step back for a moment, I need to pull on a good deal more energy than I usually do when I do this if I'm going to take so many people especially if one's fourteen feet tall >_> so please keep your distance at the start. also.... something is interfering with my senses for this. my personal guess being the giant purple beam of desolation shooting into the sky." She added with a small grin. "But so this portal's going to be a blind jump to literally any world I can reach. Most of them support life, but, well... some will probably be completely benign and peaceful on the other side, and some might be less so. So just... be ready, ok?"

Her explanation and warnings given, she nodded again and gestured for the others to back up. Ruby obliged, heaving her sister onto her back with a grunt and stumbling slightly towards one of the walls with a concerned, scared, and worried frown. Needless to say this was a lot to be taking in at such a short notice, her sister hadn't woken up yet, and whatever had happened here... well there's a good chance she'd never know.

"Everyone ready?" Ciri asked, glancing over her shoulders as her hands began to glow far brighter than they had before. a tiny pinprick heralded the opening of the portal in the world's fabric. Ruby tried to speak up, to stop whatever Ciri was doing before the portal opened, to warn her about what just happened.

She didn't get out more than a "STO-" before dark grey tendrils of scaly flesh suddenly gripped the sides of the portal. Ciri's eyes flared wide, her hand tried once to gesture to seal the portal shut, and when that didn't work she reached for her sword. She all but managed to twitch her hand in its direction before the portal was rent wide open, and something flew out to skewer the girl almost half a dozen times, lifting her off the ground with a sharp gag that died in Ciri's throat as her head lolled back.

The portal was forced open farther, and the thing slithered out through the air as if it was water, Ciri limp on its talon'd limbs as its eyeless visage seemed to roam over the group. For now almost seeming to study them, no intent to strike save what it had already done. That was likely not true both ways.

c4rd4r7_rE2LiYuOZm.jpg

Lucifers hand went to his sword, mirroring many who withdrew a weapon. The first of many battles together, with the fate of worlds hanging in the balance. Baptized by the blood of the poor woman who had tried her best to save them.

Ciri....

*End Flashback*

"....I am honored to know her. She died trying to help total strangers, for little reason then it was the right thing to do."

"And you all KILLED her for it!"

Down came the blade and Elizabeth gasped in shock and fear as blood sprayed the floor. Geralt blinked in surprise as he saw what had happened.

"You- You crazy bastard."

With little else to block the sword, Lucifer opted to use his right arm. Through the flesh it had come, slowed by the mass as Lucifer shunted away the pain, suddenly calm in contrast to before with his erratic defense of his life. Looking Geralt in the eye, he spoke.

"I spoke but once to her, but I knew her. Her actions spoke louder then any speech given and though it failed, it does not diminish that in the least. Her final moments were quick- Though we managed to avenge her, nevertheless I wish it were me that had died and her, lived to see you. She was your family- You share, much the same characteristics. Your fighting style as well mirrors her own, if those weapons are any indication. I can understand your grief, but I will not be accused of being party to the death of a woman I honor with all my breath. Whatever had been told to you were lies unworthy of her final moments...And in believing them, you desecrate her memory more then any could ever contemplate."

The wind was the only sound afterwards for a time. Geralt staring downward at Lucifer in long silence, tormented in contrast to the calm that radiated from the Damphir. Finally...He drew his sword back and stepped back, Elizabeth rushing forward to assist. Cleaning his blade, he sighed and seemed older now before he admitted aloud gruffly.

"That does sound more like her. She died well? Its...Small and cold comfort, but comfort regardless. I-"

Pathetic.

Lucifer, Elizabeth and Geralt all paused. Telepathy was described as a voice in the head....This was more a voice in their entire body. A vibration heavy and hungry, running up and down their spine and triggering every survival instinct on its own. Danger, danger! Elizabeth would assist in helping Lucifer up, one arm over her shoulders in a carry as Geralt flashed his blade out as he stepped closer to the two, his mouth fixed in a grim state. He commanded the air aloud as he looked to the shadows.

"Show yourself."

It did.

c460e9480aa6d3c00ad270d83d55ab2d.jpg

Hellfire rippled around the massive portal as the creature stepped out. Clad in armor and fur, with an axe as big as Elizabeth in comparison it would have given the black knight of Lucifers memories a run for his money, or even the supermutants of the Wasteland. Its eyes blazed in mingled scorn and disdain as it shook its head.

"Yomi made a mistake it seems, choosing you...Rather then both killing each other off, it would seem now it falls to me to do so. Your skulls will make excellent trophies for my wall."

Geralts response was to raise his blade. Elizabeth glared and slowly, sidled out of the way- Still holding Lucifer upright as the latter scowled, his wound healing far too slowly- He had used up all his power. Tapped dry, there was little he could do for now. And as the shadow of the Red Champion fell upon all three, it would laugh as it raised its axe high.

"Blood for Khorne. Skulls for Khorne! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"

Part Fifteen: Endgame (II)

The champion of Khorne was a monster, wielding his great weapon like a toy. What would have taken five strong men to lift off the ground, in the hands of the Blood Gods chosen it spun with alarming ease as it cleaved through all in its path. Bookshelves shattered, their contents scattering. The couch was kicked aside contemptuously and the coffee table upended. There was no stopping this monstrosity and Geralt for one of the first, few times in his life found himself on the defensive. To block and engage the Champion was folly. To fight it on its own terms was death. But there was little he could do at this point, the Witcher using every trick in the book and then some as he snarled his defiance, the White Wolf at bay as it snapped at the heels of the Blood Gods juggernaut. As he did so, he noticed behind it as the woman, still holding the boy with his arm over her shoulder power-walked out the door. He smiled grimly and turned his gaze back to his opponent. Perhaps he wouldn't be able to win this alone.

But he could at least buy time for the ones he wronged.

And with a roar bordering on a howl as the sounds of war echoed down below in the Imperial Wasteland, the
Witcher lunged back into the fight....

----------------------

Elizabeth grunted, blood soaking her shirt and her skirt a bit higher to her knees since she paused to rip off a length as an impromptu bandage for Lucifer. Needs must in an emergency and her boots were high enough that it didn't really matter. Whatever guards used to be here were all gone...Their bodies scattered like a macabre child's puzzle, a head here and an arm there and Elizabeth knew in her heart that the strange woman was the cause of it. The one both the champion and Lucifer called Yomi. Outside, the explosions from distant artillery split the air like thunder from an approaching storm, their bright blooms upon the wasted earth like deathly flowers, bringing a promise of war in earnest to this world. War...War never changes. Or they liked to say around here. Not for the first time did she curse with words one would hardly expect from a lady like her, the sign on her hand. The one that leashed her powers and kept her in check. Without them, she was limited to what she could scavenge and what skills she learned from her long sojourn with the books her only company.

It wasn't going to be enough however, if she couldn't get them out of here and with renewed purpose she tried to lift the Executor up again...Only to be gently repulsed by a hand as lucid, red eyes peered into Elizabeth's own.

Her heart seemed to stop briefly and all went quiet as she stared like a deer caught in the headlights. For a moment, all went black and she saw...Something. A vision, a future- If pressed to share, she couldn't rightly say. But in that moment, with utmost clarity she saw the innermost self of the bleeding halfblood.
She saw a beautiful chapel, stained glass windows depicting various people from a woman wielding a softball bat to a white-haired cop....To the one Elizabeth knew as Yomi, her own stained glass representation depicting her in gentle repose, a sword laid out like the crusaders of old. An altar showed the sacrifices made in his life, each representing something dear to the one who made it. Finding herself approaching despite her own misgivings to this new experience, Elizabeth soon found herself standing over the altar as each item laid gently, offered up to whatever higher calling that this soul deemed worthy of giving up everything.
The first that got her attention was sad in its implications. A picture in a frame with a redheaded woman smiling broadly as one arm all but squeezed what could have only been a teenager version of the man whose soul she was in. A relation? Touching it revealed clear blue skies, a desert expanse that was by no means barren as it teemed with life. A hard's days work, simple living-But by no means simple. Included also was a sense of watchfulness, a knowledge of things on the border that threatened all green and growing. This wasn't a paradise because it was so pristine- It was a paradise, because those who lived in it made it so. Ever vigilant, till called to the battlefield where a place like this would live on in memory.

She blinked and it faded as she examined the second item, a ragged copy of the Hobbit.

She saw war, a bloody affair waged in the shadows. The coming of night bringing on silent death and those who stood to oppose it. An intense respect for knowing someone....Someone clever and bright, who though feared to fight, nevertheless stood her ground. Not for any goal save that it was right.

Sneakers and stuffed animals. Glasses and books on the shelf. Pale skin and stolen moments...She dropped the book back in its place to pick up the police badge next to it.

She saw a cop, a figure short but brimming with power. Ten pounds of TNT in a one pound box as she glared upward into her eyes. Nights out in the street, preventing crimes. A diner, two mugs of coffee- A moment where she knotted a bowtie, tsk'ing at the others ineptitude but with a warm smile. Was this what it was like, to have a sibling? For someone who grew up alone, it was nice if disconcerting. Family was the feeling that radiated through this one, a sensation of coming home.

Elizabeth put down the badge, looking at the very last item.

A small, innocuous box that when picked up revealed a ring. Wrought in silver and bearing a gleaming amethyst, it was a simple if dignified thing. Subtle, but strong and with a feeling of apprehension, Elizabeth reached out to touch it.

-------

It had been two years spent under their tutelage and Lucifer considered the Isayama as good as family, as his teacher before them. He broke bread at their table, laughed alongside them and in their chosen profession and calling they fought as though they were meant to all along. Where the Vanquisher stepped, the Executioner would accompany here as both honed their skills by day and performed their work by nights. One night after the next, steadfastly avoiding the issue that had risen up as they grew closer, knowing that he would leave and she was betrothed.

She would not betray her family and he would never ask it of her. And so they danced around the issue, revealing it in little ways that fooled nobody around them. Kagura would watch with apprehension as she viewed their spars from the dojo door, an intensity filling the air like the sky after a storm. Noriyuki would be more sullen then usual, his caustic tongue unleashed on Lucifer as his familiars began to follow them. As for the patriarch....Well, whatever he thought he concealed behind his thoughts but it was with nothing but fondness that he wished above all, for his daughters to be happy.

Whatever happens....

Seated upon a rooftop, Lucifer fidgeted nervously as he peered at Yomi from the corner of his eye. They had just finished a joint mission, one of many routines and she seemed relaxed. Her feet kicked out like a child as they sat on the edge together and one, slender hand would be tucking back a bang behind her ear. The other, like some smoker would be tugging out a pocky stick between her lips as she offered the box to him.

"Want one?"

Lucifer plucked one automatically as he stared, hesitant before he finally spoke.

"....Yomi? You know I'm leaving soon....My homestay is nearing its end."

Yomi hid a frown as she crunched her snack, nose wrinkling briefly before she laughed and gently pushed the Damphirs shoulder with easy familiarity. "So dramatic. You do know you can always write or skype, you big goof. And whats stopping you from coming over to visit? Its not forever." Her tone was light in return, intentionally as she smiled broadly, purple eyes filled with mischief as she regarded him.

"Its not going to be forever. We'll see each other again, I know it. Or are you just sad you'll be away from little ol' me?"

Lucifer winced inwardly at how close to the mark she came, but rose to his feet as he strode to the middle of the roof, hands clasped behind his back. Clad in the garb of the Burial Agency, he cut a dark figure in the moonlight to Yomi's more innocent one. Like a picture of temptation from some gothic storybook, he stood there. His back to Yomi and slightly worrying her as her smile faltered and she asked.

"....Hey, you alright?"

"......Yomi?"

He turned around and from between his fingers came the blades of the Black Keys, which he held aloft in a ready position with a smile.

"En guarde?"

Yomi rolled her eyes but couldn't prevent her grin as she popped to her feet. One hand smoothing her skirt and the other already automatically sliding her into a ready stance for a quick-draw. "Don't come crying to me when you lose!" A beat passed and smiles faded away to readiness, red meeting purple in the dark from the distance across. The wind blew and Yomi, with the pocky between her teeth bit down as the candy dropped to the ground. The moment it did so, both combatants launched themselves at each other at full speed.

Sparks flew and a blur of motion was all that could be seen of the two, each devoted to mastery of the blade in their own sphere. Yomi for her unique, named weapon and Lucifer for his own variant styles he adopted on the fly. The black keys for example, were an extremely specialist weapon- Short range and meant for throwing, though he refused to do that here. This meant that in handicapping himself, Yomi and her range would have the advantage as she spun and slashed, seeking a hole in his guard with a single-minded intensity that marked her so.

Lucifer countered, flicking the tail end of his longcoat into Yomi's eyes to blind her, forcing her to step back as he lashed out with a mid-kick to her abdomen which she blocked with the hilt of her blade. Not even a sweat had broken out from either and with a smile, both went back at it like hammer and tongs.

Two hours passed on by, neither would admit defeat nor resort to the other tricks they held to turn the tide. They were evenly matched and by mutual consent, they lowered their weapons and laughed. Yomi staggering over to Lucifer as she hugged him without preamble. With a content look on her face, she said simply.

"I'll miss you my friend. I kinda wish you'd quit and join us. SDC could always use good people at their side."

Something was wrong...Lucifer was stiff in the embrace and about to ask, Yomi would suddenly feel a chill as Lucifer said in a strange intonation. One that had her heart leap into her throat and make her shake, in a way that had nothing to do with their spar. Oh no...No, please. Don't-

"What if I could? Yomi....I have it planned out. I can quit the Agency and work for the SDC. I will work for my room and board as I did before, till I can set myself up. My teacher had something set aside for me as well, in the event I- Well, oh I- I'm going about this wrong."

He went down to one knee and Yomi began to cry silently, hands clasped over her mouth as she shook her head. No, no....Don't do this. She could only stare as if in a dream as he slipped on a ring onto her finger. A western tradition, she knew that much. It wasn't like the ones from the soap operas she'd never reveal under torture to flipping through on lazy days....But it suited her so well, she felt so happy she could burst. Still holding her hand, Lucifer finally decided to throw himself on the mercy of the court as he asked.

"Yomi...Marry me? I promise to make you happy."

Shi-shio fell from her grip, clattering on the roof as she sank to her knees, sobbing and staring at the ring before looking at Lucifer. Pain like he never saw before filled her features as she shook her head.

"Why....Why couldn't you have left it at being friends? We were going on alright then, right? Why did you do this- Why....Why are you taunting me with this, when you know full well what I have to do?"

He expected rejection, but not like this. And looking directly into her eyes he said with conviction and a surety like he had never had before. "You do love me. Whats so wrong about that? Is it my status? My family name or my blood? You know I'll work hard, that I'll do anything-"

"-You dummy, of course not! I'm betrothed, its...I-"

Oh gods, she was stuttering now as she stared, wondering what her father would say and completely unaware he knew all along and had adopted a 'wait-and-see' attitude towards it. Lucifer on the other hand, worried for her apparent breakdown reached out automatically to hold her shoulders to steady her. It was a big mistake as he looked at her, emotions fluctuating and tensions high as she sniffed. Her face was blotchy and her eyes becoming red from her tears, her hair disheveled from the spar.

She was beautiful.

God above, she was beautiful.

When he kissed her, there was only a moments hesitation before she began kissing back. When they finally came up for air, she was calmer but sad as she looked at him and finally, shook her head. Lucifer nodded, slowly...Understanding, but that was cold comfort as he felt his heart break. Yomi moved to take the ring off, but stopped as Lucifer put his hand around her own to stop her.

"No...Keep it. C-consider it a wedding gift."

Yomi hesitated and hiccuped as she smiled weakly, looking up as she reached a hand to stroke his cheek gently.

"In another time...."

He nodded and rose up, helping her to her feet.

"....In another time."

They walked home, hand in hand the entire way and when they got to the entrance of the Isayama residence, he let go and bid her goodnight. A move she mirrored formally before they parted. The next day, Lucifer left to return to America, leaving only memories and a ring that Yomi wore everywhere since, though she refused all questions concerning it.

Two months later would find herself avenging her fathers death in anger.

------

"I was younger then. Brasher, more impulsive."

Elizabeth turned in shock, to see Lucifer standing by the doors of the chapel they were in as he smiled wryly at her. He was cleaner then his physical state- Clad in a simple priests garb as he fingered rosary beads in his hand before shaking his head.

"Nevertheless, it was a sacrifice that enabled me to go to where I am now. Seeing her again like this- Well, it makes me worry. Not just for this world, but my own as well. What happened to her? Could I have made a difference if I was there? Should I have pushed?"

He sighed out and looked at the altar, Elizabeth silent as she listened, knowing it was what he wanted most now before saying quietly.

"These are all your special people. Family, friends...Loved ones. All sacrificed to to do what?"

He seemed surprised she even asked.

"Why, to do what Yomi wished to do- Duty. To be the one between the victim and the oppressor, to be the monster slayer, the anti-hero. I've sacrificed many important things, wishing I could have been otherwise. But its not something I can walk away from, any more then I can stop breathing."

Taking note of their surroundings, he smiled in a twisted fashion.

"For in much wisdom is much grief. And he that increaseth in knowledge, increaseth in sorrow."

Elizabeth nodded, arms crossed as she spoke. "Eecclesiastes, chapter one. Verse eighteen."

Lucifer nodded, pleased despite himself. "You know your scripture."

"I just like to read."

"So do I. I had a good friend who only fed my addiction."

They smiled and looking around, Lucifer said simply.

"I was bleeding out, wasn't I?"

Elizabeth hesitated and nodded.

"Yes."

Silence once more filled the chapel, Elizabeth reading Lucifer's features like a book. He was seriously considering it- Just letting it end, here and now. It was tempting, she knew- Especially after seeing what she did. It all made sense in context now as she stared before smiling as Lucifer straightened up. He had made his choice...And what that choice was, was no surprise. Eecclesiastes one: eighteen was never about the evils of knowledge as some interpreted for their own ends. It was about accountability. Once you gained knowledge about the world and how it was, you could no longer cite ignorance as an excuse. You had to make a choice. Did you close your eyes to its suffering....Or did you stand against its evils, alone if need be and despised by all?

And with renewed purpose, she spoke.

"Geralt was helping us out. But he won't survive unless we do something. That and you're still bleeding out. Do you have a plan?"

Lucifer nodded, before turning to her as he asked in the sort of tone one inquired about the weather.

"Tell me Miss Comstock....How good is your latin?"

------------

"BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!"

The good news was that in between his fight, Geralt managed to make it mad, breaking off his sword into its eye. The downside to that, was that he pissed off the Khorne Berserker as it now stopped playing around to kill the Witcher in earnest.

Maybe he just had a knack for pissing off powerful people?

Blackness covered his vision as stars flashed behind his eyes, the pain so intense from the backhand he got caught in as to overload his body all at once. Panting with intense anger and satisfaction, the Berserker deliberately approached Geralt, dragging his axe behind him. There was nothing more he could do but curse now...Strange. In his dying moments, all he could think of was...

The door burst open and both Witcher and Berserker turned to look in confusion.

Standing there, alone and in a torn up skirt and bloody shirt, Elizabeth Comstock glared at the Berserker and pointed her finger at him, the tip of her tongue sticking out of her mouth in concentration before she spoke.

"Visafreeze!"

To Geralt, in that moment the Berserker would suddenly rage for no reason at all, shaking its head and snarling with intense hate and small wonder. Despite it being a lower spell, anyone would be furious if the liquid in their eyes froze. Bats swarmed out by the hundreds, surrounding and confusing the Berserker more as Geralt rolled out of the way, wondering what was happening before seeing the bats reform- The boy.

Paler, which was saying something but with a look in his eye that'd make the Wild Hunt cross the street and a no less intense action, as he lashed out a kick towards the blade embedded in the eye socket, making the berserker explode in searing hatred.

"I WILL DRINK YOUR BLOOD AND VIOLATE YOUR CORPSES, YOU LITTLE-!"

Having skidded away, Lucifer would flip to his feet. Having grabbed something from behind one of the upturned furniture with a degree of hope as he smirked and spoke.

"Not today. ELIZABETH, CATCH!"

And in slow-motion, as the world seemed to go quiet and still, Elizabeth would grab the item Lucifer tossed. An unfamiliar looking weapon to his mind as the woman flicked some switches and aimed before firing.

The explosion rocked the tower and with a cry of rage, the Berserker fell off the building side, crashing down upon the ground below. As one, all three stared down. A beat later, Geralt asked.

"What the hell is that weapon?"

"G-Grenade launcher." Lucifer replied wearily.

Geralt raised an eyebrow.

"...Why didn't you use it?"

Lucifer smiled sheepishly, fangs glinting as he spoke. "I've no idea how. I was hoping she did."

Elizabeth gave Lucifer a deadpan stare, before a giggle broke the silence...A moment later, both of them would be laughing as the sheer absurdity of the situation hit them and Geralt shook his head. Kids.

No accounting for it, sometimes.

--------

A week passed. With one of the Triad ringleaders taken out, the Brotherhood of Steel was less impeded in their campaign and would reclaim a larger section of New York under their control. And as the world shifted, there she was once more. Here to record history as Piper Wright smiled at the two, her old friend in particular from Mercy a welcome sight.

"So lemme get this straight... Elizabeth here has power. But its sealed away, so how does that translate into- Magic? You're not having one on me, are you?"

Looking more rested and healthier then he had in ages, Lucifer smiled and shrugged.

"Elizabeth here is a particularly powerful conduit, able to tear holes in the walls between worlds. She got the seal on her hand to prevent her from using it to escape, from demonic forces the late Triad ringleader had been dealing with to his loss. All that energy had to go somewhere and in order for her body to survive, it converted it into something else which the seal I suspect helped with- It unplugged her latent ability to use magic."

Piper nodded, as though magic was an everyday thing as she asked.

"So how did you know?"

"When she soul-gazed me by accident. Its something a few wizards back home could do and I had watched a good friend of mine use enough of her spells to use this to our favor then. A little donated blood and I was as good as new- Or at least in fighting fit to assist if things went wrong."

"So why the demons- God, I can't believe I'm actually asking this. Whats their stake in all this?"

It was an innocent question, but seeing Lucifer stiffen in his seat had her make eye contact with Elizabeth, who shook her head just a fraction as she made it known subtlety this was a personal thing.

"I-I'm not sure. But I plan to find out, one way or the other."

Piper skipped over her next question as she looked at her notes.

"So what happened to the other guy? Geralt?"

"He left for home." Elizabeth said quietly as she added. "He's...Strange that way. Soon as all obligations were paid off, he departed instantly via his own methods. That was three days ago."

Piper nodded slowly, before finally shaking her head.

"What a story...Honestly, I doubt anyone is going to believe me about this."

"Its not over yet either."

Piper and Elizabeth both turned to look at Lucifer, who smiled and shrugged as he continued.

"There's one last thing we need to do."

Up on the roof five minutes later, Lucifer would be standing before Elizabeth, Piper staring on in curiosity as Lucifer took Elizabeths hand and knelt, before exposing the sign on her palm.

"I might be able to break the seal. Return your old abilities. You'll lose your magic, but you'll be you again. Its your choice."

Elizabeth's eyes widened, as she stared and contemplated the possibilities. And yet...And yet. Finally, she shook her head and tugged him to his feet.

"No. This...Gift of mine. Its caused far too much trouble, even turned one of my counterparts insane. Better at least that it should die in me...Right? So I won't be just another Elizabeth Comstock out there. I'll be...Me. Whoever I choose to be."

Lucifer chuckled and bowed his head.

"Wise words. I suppose I'll be going then- You should be alright now."

Elizabeth cocked an eyebrow and crossed her arms. "Whats all this 'you' stuff? Don't you mean 'we?' In case you missed it, this world is short on wizards and witches. Until I find a better teacher, I'll be relying on you."

"....What?"

Piper burst out laughing, Elizabeth not a second behind at the expression on Lucifers face, the former finally walking up and punching him in the shoulder affectionately.

"Face it Red, you got a traveling partner. And speaking of which- Something I wanted to tell you. Maybe you won't be able to whip up some fancyass portal and zip away. But perhaps you don't need to? In my line of work, I know a guy...He comes now and then, to the Brotherhood of Steel. Has a ship that should take you where you two need to go. Right now, he's at the Brotherhood HQ over at Broadway. When you see him, tell him Piper sent ya."

"Whats his name?"

Piper grinned in reply.

"Kenway. Captain Edward Kenway."

----------

[Epilogue]

She stood at attention, for how long was impossible to say. An eternity perhaps or forever, it didn't matter which. It was all the same to her as Yomi clutched her hand into a fist before finally looking up as she said flatly.

"Sweet is suspecting I'm more then what I appear."

At the other side of the room, manipulating a chess board sat a man-shaped figure dressed all in white. Moving two futuristic-armored looking figures, he knocked over a skinny girl with a minigun and rocket launcher over her shoulder, which in turn toppled over another of a girl in a decidedly martial pose, stylized fire arcing from her foot. Adjacent was a giant, armed with a makeshift axe and with a sigh at his interrupted game, he spun in his seat to regard her with mild annoyance as he explained as though to a child.

"Of course he suspects. I couldn't care less really, so long as you do what you were told. So...To whit, let me see."

He ticked off on his fingers, one after the other.

"By saving those prisoners from Jackson, you played him to come back into our hands. Using the Triad leader in the Riley-wasteland world, he did our work for us- Weakening the reality walls for when Jackson moves his invasion in. Killing him removed a chain to us and weakened the Imperial Wasteland so the Brotherhood can march in force, the majority of their forces tied up in the city. All in one place, once Revan arrives. So you see my dear-"

He beamed and was suddenly very pleasant as he spoke warmly.

"You did very well. Just one question- There was no one who could trace our involvement now, is there?"

".....No."

"Excellent! Dismissed then or what have you- I have a game to set up."

Humming idly, he turned away and that was that. Yomi used to it by now as she turned and left herself in a portal of Hellfire. Back in Sweets Kingdom, she headed quietly to her quarters, locked the door and sat down on her bed. Eyes unseeing and in the privacy of her room, brimming with tears she refused to shed as she stared at her hand.

Still wearing the ring, after all this time.

She closed her eyes and slept.

This was only the beginning.

[The End]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back