Not open for further replies.

Yun Lee

The Sculptor
Administrator
The Convergence Series GM
Staff Member on Hiatus
(Written by Ringmaster.)

Part One: The More Things Change

My life had always been one of hardship and pain. My father and brothers were killed and betrayed by those I thought friends. I had seen lovers and close friends die, by my association alone. I had run through life, inflicting death as I directed and have aged, my years finally catching with me. And yet, my life can be counted as a single grain of sand on a beach, or more fittingly a single star in the sky. So what worth, is any one man? Of what worth is his work, or his deeds?

My name is Ezio Auditore da Firenze.

And I, am an assassin.

Masyaf_by_Evan_Shipard.jpg

Even after the centuries, the old fortress yet stood. Crumbling, a shadow of its old glory and defying the elements and humanity alike. From the Templar siege of the Crusades during his ancestors era, to the later sacking the Mongols would impart.

To when he had himself came, seeking answers that he believed Altair and his library could impart to him.

The future had changed, when Ezio had found himself engulfed into the Murder Games. Case in point, his current situation. Around this time, his old self should be happily retired in Italy as he planned and Ezio frankly, envied him. Strange thing, to envy yourself.

But as Altair had learned, he who increases in knowledge, increases in sorrow. Learning of a wider world beyond his own, of the enemies that existed to consume and destroy... Could he have gone any other way? Ignoring what he knew?

The answer was no.

So long as there was breath left in him, Ezio would continue to fight the good fight. Hence why they were here, in these old ruins. When debating temporary bases in which to plan, this seemed most appropriate.

If only the company was more fair of face.

Ezio lashed out with an uppercut beneath his opponents guard and was rewarded with the impact of bone. He winced outwardly, watching him crumble to the ground and waited.

And waited.

An eagle cried out overhead, the wind blew quietly, giving a ghastly serenity to it all. Just as Ezio thought about finding a bucket of water, a groan from ground level told him not to bother.

"Did someone get the plate of that truck?"

Desmond Miles.

For lack of a better word, his grandson.

In more complicated terms, his descendant. At this point, he simply went with the flow as the old eagle extended a hand to grip the young chick by the wrist and hoist him up to his feet.

"You hesitated. In battle, that was the worst and final mistake you could have done. If you commit to a fight, see to.it through. Second thoughts once a course of action has been chosen are an enemy you can ill afford."

Still groggy, Desmond rubbed his jaw and threw a mild glare, lacking in fire for all the logic his grandfather imparted.

"You have a nice right hook for an old man."

Ezio wriggled his eyebrows lasciviously.

"You'd be surprised at what else still works, grandson. And I've a number of inappropriate stories to back that up-."

Desmond gagged at the idea, retorting only half-jokingly.

"Keep it in your pants old man."

"Well, that's a first."

I watched my grandson turn, my smile fading to concern as he limps his way inside. I know he wishes to do more than this training. I know also he held something of a torch for the young madonna.

Ah, young love. Yet there is nothing more either of us can do yet. We are but two, with an artifact we do not understand and a world, not ready for the knowledge we bear. The future, the past-everything is muddled, like the muddy waters stirred by the actions of a fish as it swims. For the first time, I had come upon a situation my knowledge and my creed alike failed to assist me.

And perhaps that terrified me the most.

Part Two: The Eagle Has Fallen

The apple of Eden. A powerful artifact, intended to control the minds of men and twist them to serve those who wielded it. Among, other darker uses and yet it was merely a small drop, in the massive ocean that was the wider multiverse the two assassins had come to know. A vast number of islands, in a dark sea that perhaps they would have no effect on whatsoever. But they had to try, if only to satisfy their Creed. To allow all men and women to choose their own destiny, rather then the dogma of the Templars that would remove free will. The Templars...Honestly, it had been a while since he had thought of his old enemies in such a way.

His own demons had long been put to rest, a lifetime of punishment enough for the old assassin as he sighed out heavily. Ezio rose up, walking out to the balcony for a stroll, leaving his grandson behind as the latter continued to pore over the only tool in their possession that allowed them to actually begin as a power. The answer would not be found here, or even in the artifact to be frank. No, Assassins were social creatures and hunters- For a Creed to flourish, first it must build itself up.

What the old eagle neglected to remember as he crossed his arms and stared out at the expanse of the snowy mountains was the fact, that in order for something to build?

Something must be destroyed in its place.

From the mist, the first barrage took out the towers in a flash of light like the hand of God striking the fortress.

Followed quickly by more as it was made clear, they were under attack. But what sort- The roaring screech and the glimpse of some massive, metal ship in the clouds answered Ezio's question quickly enough. This wasn't just a random attack. These were offworlders. More importantly? If they were here, then it meant there was only one thing they could be after.

And they couldn't afford that.

-------------------------------------------

63b410b7e1a4511508384ecd44b2b584.jpg

The first wave came in from above. Entire batches of servitors, dropping down into the fortress, resembling the ghouls of legend as they hunched over upon impact and rushed out, like animals sensing blood. The final fate of those who failed the Grandmaster, their brains and bodies twisted and ruined into these parodies of life. It was not a fate that the ex-assassin would wish on anyone, but it was a matter of being pragmatic now.

And Shay Patrick Cormac was nothing, if adaptable. He turned to the pilot as they hovered out of range, his rough voice talking in clipped tones.

"Tell all ships ta cease fire. We don't want a burial just yet."

The pilot nodded and flicked the open comm channel.

"All squads, stand down. Let the Caliban's do the work for us."

Words of acknowledgement filled the cabin as Shay pondered before taking the comm himself for one last command.

"Remember our targets. Snipers, I want prepared to shoot at any moment if they manage ter evade our wee beasties. Shoot to kill. We don't need either of em."

There would be no escape from the forces they bore and his faith was rewarded as a sniper radioed over.

"Contact. West side of the fortress, I've a clear shot of the courtyard."

Shay sighed out inwardly. Where did it all go wrong before? No- The Assassins of the past, whatever they had been were the seed of the corruption that had been his era, when they believed it was their right to kill as many as they wished to bring about their world. Hypocrites and fools, the lot of them. The memory was enough to bring him back to the present as he simply spoke.

"You have your orders. Kill em."

"Goodbye Ezio and Desmond. There's no room in the world anymore for the likes of you. Here, or anywhere else."

The sound of a shot rang out...And then came a cry of shock.

"Sir? It was an illusion!"

To his credit, Shay mastered himself swiftly as he realized what it meant. At the very least, it confirmed that the two had the Apple of Eden. Coupled with their knowledge and driven from their fortress, Shay snarled with the realization of what could happen. A new Brotherhood, rising and spreading like a cancer among the worlds.

This must not happen and he called out in steady tones, a contrast to his current state.

"Search the surrounding areas. Now! We cannot let them leave this world!"

This wasn't over...Not by a long shot and as the destruction of Masyaf commenced, Shay watched as two of his ships detached and began to perform flyovers on the countryside. The ancient citadel crumbled fast to the advanced technology they bore, as the Auditore villa did so long ago. But this time, it would end in the true fall of the Assassins and all they stood for.

"May the father of understanding guide us."

He murmured, hand slowly stroking the emblem hung around his neck...The cross emblem of the new Templar order.

This wasn't over.

---------------------------------

"I hear em, I think they're leaving. It was a clever idea, to hide in the vault. Except now we're trapped and well- Yeah, I got nothing."

".....Ezio? Hey- Gramps? Say something."

".....Grampa!"

Part Three: Loss of Serenity

Everything seemed to go black and hot, Desmond holding Ezio's hand in grief as a silence as solemn as the impromptu tomb they were in surrounded him. Ezio was dead- How, he didn't know. They were running and had used the Apple to draw off anyone in pursuit at the time, with the elder assassin telling him not to look back. Don't look back, don't slow down- There was only time for action as they finally came to the library safe. Where Altair had once hid, so too would they. It worked, while the outside was under siege. It worked all too well, save that only one survived.

Desmond drew in a shuddering breath, hands reaching out to close his ancestors eyes. The grandfather he had never had, and had never truly appreciated in full till this point. In halting words, carefully spoken he said the following reverently.

"Nulla è reale, tutto è lecito. Requiescat in pace... Grandfather."

There was nothing for it now. Desmond rose up, peering at the darkness before he drew a breath and closed his eyes.

When he opened them, everything changed.

Eagle Vision, an ability passed down through generations in varying forms. A sort of sixth sense, enabling one to see new opportunities and that which was hidden. Altair had it, as did Ezio after....So did Desmond. The vault itself was massive, a lack of room was not the problem.

The problem was more what it entailed. The door was blocked, perhaps from rubble outside. There would be no exit from there. The only resources he had in this room were his wristblade, his grandfathers weapons and equipment and- The apple.

He strode quickly over to pick it up and as he did so, it flared to life and blinded him for a moment, forcing him to switch off his vision. He blinked. Why was it reacting so strongly now? Was it because events had changed? Or maybe it was because of the death of its primary wielder. It had always been Ezio who had researched this, with Desmond primarily focusing on the practical here and now.

Now he wished he knew more, as he winced and a flicker of power burst through the room.

A figure began to form from the light.

Desmond blinked, was it Juno? No...Not her. He- He knew this person.

latest

Desmond gasped, sheer shock overwriting any questions he might have had. Was it really her? Lucy, here? But how-

"Hello Desmond."

It sounded just like her as well, the emotions that surged from the memories colliding with everything else that Desmond had experienced recently as he shook his head, pacing back and forth.

"No- No, you're not her. I'm going crazy, I- You're dead."

Killed by his own hands, which still had a grip on his soul. Spy or not, Templar or not... Lucy Stillman was his friend. And he would have rather done anything else, then what he was forced to in that temple. Lucy smiled, walking towards him and as she did, a flicker of light followed in her wake, giving her an ethereal appearance as one ghostly hand stroked his cheek.

"But I'm here in your mind. It was best for me to appear, to help you. Desmond, everything has changed....These vile games, the movements of the mighty. Its thrown everything out of balance. A single world? A galaxy? Small potatoes compared to whats out there and plotting. You've seen much, you know what lurks out there...But you hadn't considered it either. You've seen a vast, terrible vista of worlds...So have others. Some, who might have otherwise never have met creating dark alliances."

"Like those guys who attacked us? Killed Ezio?! Who were they, what did they want?!"

He didn't realize he was raising his voice. Honestly, he couldn't care less. A man was dead and he wanted answers. Lucy closed her eyes, sighing out before she looked at him in sorrow for what would follow.

"You already know who they are, Desmond."

How could he not? What else would have targeted the Assassins, attempted to strangle them in their infancy? What other group would have thought to come here, to Masyaf? Desmond growled, hands clutching his head as he spat the name of his foe, like a curse broiling with all the hatred he could muster.

"Templars."

"But it goes beyond that as well- Oh, I can't share everything. And I can't stay long. Desmond- They believe you're dead. Use it. I can't do much, beyond sending you somewhere you'll be able to rebuild and pick yourself up. But it'll burn out what power I use to sustain...This. This strange un-life. This will be the last time we talk to each other."

"....No. No, don't even think about it! We are going to do this-"

"-How?"

Her words, spoken quietly held a challenge in them as she crossed her arms and shifted her posture.

"How exactly were you planning to break your way, through tons of rubble holding the vault door in place without me?"

".....I'm still working on it."

"Desmond."

She looked at him solemnly, her expression sad now before she said gently.

"Its ok. Its not so bad, really. Like getting ready for a long nap. I've lived my life with no regrets...You need to learn the same. You'll have all sorts of experiences, meet with all sorts of enemies. But so long as you keep that core- That makes you, you? You're going to be just fine....Mentor."

Desmond flinched.

"Now you really got me worried."

Lucy laughed, the merry sound echoing in the chamber as she placed both hands on the side of Desmonds head.

"Just relax....And remember. Allies come from oft the strangest places."

There was a surge of power and then a brilliant blaze of light, like the sun had entered the Vault as the Apple was pushed to its intense limits.

And then nothing more. Outside, the Templar ships suddenly turned and headed back for Masyaf as fast as possible after that energy spike. But it was far too late....And Desmond would be far away.

Where exactly? Well....

"'Allo? Can you 'ear me?"

What?

"C'est tres magnifique! 'E is alive!"

Am I in France? I hear French. Oooh, my head-

"Ah! Please sir, do not move so quickly! Now...Open your eyes."

His mouth was dry and when he spoke, it was in a harsh croak that he could barely recognize it was his own voice.

"Who...Who are you?"

He opened his eyes.

320px-Curie.jpg

"I am Contagions Vulnerability Robotic Infirmary Engineer. But you can call me "Curie!"

....What. The. Fuck?!​

Part Four: The Grandmaster

This little world is one of many, among the millions that exist in the cosmos and among time. An Earth that had succumbed to the desolation of nuclear war. From the Wasteland, emerged a new society forged from the flames of that conflict. And from this conflict, emerged the thorn in our side that would become the Brotherhood of Steel, one of the chapters that ally with the Coalition. Not that we need do much of anything where they are concerned. The Coalition spreads itself thin, its power and standing weakened in the wake of the scandal regarding the Grand Hotel. And as they strive desperately to retain their power, all over the multiverse we have been at work.

When Akibaraha died, it was us who divided the fools pieces among ourselves. Anyone who fails as abjectly as he did, deserves to be nothing but food, as is our way.

When Darth Rex fell, a little bribe in the right place pushed him off the wheel of reincarnation and into our hands, where after gaining all we needed, he too was shredded. His essence, feeding the rest of us.

The cursed earth of Silent Hill has passed into our hands, slowly being forged into a world more fit for our needs.

All of this, mere small steps in a grander scheme we have planned. It has begun, in the Wasteland World.

Fear and sacrifice empowering the Ghost Rocks which had seen so much potential and success in other worlds, hope dying ignominiously-It has been a good work, for those of us who deal in such things. After all....

Its just good business.

giphy.gif

"Ghost rocks?"

"Ah forgive me. I forget, despite your prolific interests, that there are indeed some things of which you were ignorant of. You'll excuse me for saying it of course."

"Not at all. An interesting move by the way."

"Despite our policy of playing safe investments, I believe a little risk now and then is vital for true and stunning success to be won. Ah, but yes the Ghost Rocks. Irradiated coal, empowered by the souls sacrificed on its ground and fed by fear. A recent resource, newly 'discovered' by our agents acting as the spearhead in that world. Its properties have been proven beyond a doubt to be quite effective- And in a world, so deprived of any power it could and will be just the thing to fling their society into a great future...And all the while, feeding the dormant powers of that world to our benefit. I forsee in a hundred or so years, that world will be ripe for our more direct influence."

"Not exactly in any great hurry, aren't you?"

"Why not? We were here since the beginning. We were there when Lilith was driven from the Garden, when Cain slew his brother. We saw Sodom and Gommorah rise, the pinnacle of our work and lamented when He brought them down. Rome burned and we danced in delight. The Mi-Go went to war against the Yellow Sign, and we supplied both sides of the conflict. We are very old sir...I invite you, to consider that in your dealings with us."

"To what purpose though? If you've power and resources, why do you not conquer all in your path?"

"As you did? Or Akibahara? No, no, no- Such endeavors always end poorly. No exceptions. Perhaps not now, perhaps a thousand years from now. But at some point, some smartass collective of adventurers, heroes and ner-do-wells will band together and fight. Open conflict, begets open conflict. Isn't that what your vaunted Murder Games were for?"

The other was silent in reply, moving his piece as one gloved hand toyed with a pendant, a sign of a red cross. Innocuous and unknown to many, save a select few in the multiverse with true knowledge of its meaning.

"We do enjoy the idea- Cut out the idea of war, bring in the Murder Games and the factions vying for supremacy. Traitor and otherwise... Its quite exciting, isn't it?"

"But it IS war you seek? Why else would you approach me and my people?"

"Why else indeed? Grandmaster, if I may? You know what we represent, what we offer. Our Shareholders can provide much to you and yours, as we have to others before you. We offer weapons. We offer territories. We offer assets, useful to you. All we ask in return is that you have the will to use them...And turn your attention to this world in particular."

"Lets say that I do- It draws attention to me and mine. What reason would I have to seize this....High target world? Its as much as an open declaration of war to its supporters and allies."

"Whomever do you mean, Grandmaster? The Coalition as we discussed is on the brink- The locals are admittedly tenacious, but primitives with jury-rigged technology should be no match for you and yours. Just...Do what you usually do. You have experience with pacifying worlds as I recall. This is just one more...And to sweeten the deal, I was instructed to reveal this last bit of information."

Across the board, the figure adjusted his tie before grinning at the masked man before him.

"Did you know Desmond Miles is alive?"

"......."

The Grandmaster of the Templar order leaned forward as he stared at the other, emerging into the light.

90b710da4c943bf54243467676ae1560.jpg

"I'm listening."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back