The Last Bastion: Bunker Chicago The Old Guard Debriefing: Kiku.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nilum

The Wanderer Returned
Benefactor
The Old Guard Debriefing: Kiku
(( @LimeyPanda & @Nilum ))​

Kiku would find herself quickly guided away from the entrance of Bunker Chicago. Though she would see hints of the crowd that had formed to see all of them return, it seemed that Kiku and a few others all attached to Carolyn's squad were being taken for an early debriefing. She is searched when she arrives—an unusual circumstance, but perhaps understandably required given the circumstances—and it takes a few minutes for each of them to be searched.

As they wait outside, they see Carolyn move past them, entering the machine shop headquarters of The Old Guard in a hurry. Shortly behind her, Ezekiel is taken inside under armed guard. He looks at her, as though memorizing her face, before being pushed inside.

Though it takes a little while longer, each person awaiting debriefing is taken in one by one. When it comes time for Kiku to be taken in, she finds herself taken inside, and up a flight of stairs. In another room they could hear someone screaming in frustration, though she is guided to a small office. Inside is a bloodstained desk, and a broken record player. Sitting across the desk is the unmistakable butch figure of Marie Black, with a steeled expression on her face. Smoke from her cigar, laying on a tray, filters upward into the broken fan. The room was stuffy, and the chair Marie sat in had a pair of bullet holes in it.

She leans back in her chair and motions to a chair on the opposite side of the blood stained desk. “You’ve earned your keep, so, let me bring you up to speed. Devin Antoinette is dead. He was shot where your chair is sitting now, two hours ago. Carolyn is now the leader of The Old Guard, and while she handles that, I will be debriefing you. I’ll ask a few questions, and then you can go. I’m sure Adrik gave you this sermon the first time, but a lot more... Violently. Do you understand, or do you have any questions, Kiku?”

Kiku acquiesced to the brief frisking as she was taken in for her debriefing; relinquishing her knife and guns without any fuss or even any flirtation. Her thoughts were elsewhere, and she instead just found herself waiting for what was to come. She eventually found her thoughts disturbed by Carolyn moving past, followed by Ezekiel. When their eyes met, she offered the mutant a brief –albeit weak- smile.

Being led into the room with Marie had Kiku feel a sense of odd familiarity; but the tension lifted for her, at least, when she saw the butch woman. Kiku smiled at her, a little more muted than normal but still with every sign of affection that the young Asian listener had for the butch, scarred, smoking woman who had acted as a surrogate mother for the last few years. She sat down opposite Marie, slumping down into the chair as the older woman started to talk. The news of Devin’s death was troubling first, and then downright devastating. She didn’t much like Devin; the man scared her, and Marie had talked a couple times about Devin considering shacking up with U-ARM, but she didn’t wish the man dead. She also knew the sadness of losing a parent, so she felt a twinge of empathy for what Carolyn must be going through. Add on to that Carolyn’s new position of power, and you could see just how much trouble was coming for the Old Guard in the future.

It took Kiku a few moments to respond to Marie’s request, but she eventually shook the cobwebs. “I have…so many questions. They can wait though, I guess. Let’s just get your stuff outta the way first.

"Alright." Marie mutters, managing something of a comforting smile for Kiku, briefly. She then stands up and walks over to the blinds, glancing through them out onto the street. "Let's keep it brief. I know there was a large creature out there... Something none of us has seen before. What did you see?... And, what did you think of those men you engaged in a firefight? The ones with the red and black uniforms?"

Kiku listened to the question, and didn't much think on her replies. There wasn't a need to be tactful. "I didn't much see the monster; more I kinda felt it. It felt big, and creepy, and when it got hurt it felt sad and angry. I saw bits of it when we were leaving, because the Coalition blew it up." She said, pausing to think about the non-descriptive clumps of creature. "As for the armour guys. Hard to say much. They had the target, so I engaged with Bob. I shot at them, and I definitely hit them with BB, but uh...They barely looked phased by my shots. It's pretty fucking scary how good their armour is."

"Yeah, it is." Marie scratches the back of her head and glances away momentarily. She then turns her attention back to Kiku. "Kiku..." Marie sighs and looks a little frustrated. "What I am about to tell you does not leave this room... Understood?"

Kiku frowns at the sudden tone shift. Seeing Marie's obvious frustration threw her off a little, but these were exceptional times, if nothing else. "You know you can trust me, boss. Cross my heart, and all that."

"We have been interrogating Ezekiel. He has been remarkably compliant, actually... Too fucking compliant, I think, but, a few things he has said so far ring true." She clears her throat and rolls her fingers on the wooden desk. "This... This, cult, of Adam and Eve... It preys on listeners. The awakening, it's all a sham, to get listeners close enough to them so that they can turn them into their own kind, and put them in a situation where they can't go back home even if they wanted to... They're just like U-ARM--they sucker kids into joining them and then sully their hands sufficiently that they can't turn back from their chosen path. Kiku, one third of our colony is comprised of people with mutagens in their blood. That includes Carolyn--I'm not sure you ever knew, but I figure now is as good a time as any to tell you... And, they won't stop. They won't stop until every listener in this colony has been changed into being just like them. And those of us who might dare to get in the fuckin' way are supposed to be cleansed, apparently. That's all we have for now out of Ezekiel... For what I hope are understandable reasons, I want to keep him and his hands as far away from you and Carolyn as possible, Kiku."

Kiku listened with revulsion at the depiction of the Cult and of Ezekiel. She remembered what he'd said to her, and how...soothing he'd seemed. All he'd done is talk, and all he'd pointed out was the truth, right? Right? "I...wow. I uh..." She frowned at how heavy the room had gotten. Her nails clacked against the chair's handle, nervous and confused. She kept opening her mouth to speak, only to stop a few seconds later. "I...understand. At least, I think I do...but I still want to speak to him. Only when it's safe, and like...through one of those one-way mirror things, but I wanna speak to him. I wanna see this through, with my own eyes, and my own ears; y'know? Can we set that up later? No rush, of course. What you guys have to do is more important than what some foot-soldier wants. I get it."

Marie sighs and stands out of her chair. She places one hand on the desk to balance herself, then hops over it to stand right in front of Kiku. Then, she grabs her on the shoulder, and pulls her in for a hug. A surprisingly gentle one, as the larger, butch woman seemed to protectively hold the smaller one. They had few moments like these. It wasn't normal for Marie to do this. "You are not just some foot soldier... You're Kiku, the child I found fighting bitterly to live as little more than an animal that slavers left behind. I didn't save you from that hellhole, help you grow, and learn, just for this. Kiku, I wanted to wipe out all the slavers to satisfy my own revenge, because I'm a bitter old woman with nothing left to give this world... I also wanted to do it to give you a world where you could do more than just survive, where you could be more than just that little girl I found murdering someone out of suffering."

Kiku would feel a couple tears fall onto her shoulder, from a face she couldn't see. "I don't want you to become like me... And I sure as hell don't want you to become some killing tool that has no other purpose for life." Slowly, she relinquishes her grasp on Kiku, and wipes her eyes. "I'll see what I can do about getting you a conversation with Ezekiel, but you'll ultimately have to ask Carolyn. That's her choice, now. Just... I'm sorry. You're going to be put in a terrible position, to choose between two groups of people that care about you... And I am afraid that all the years I raised you may not be enough to stop you from being drawn away from me by serpents in the Garden of Eden."

Kiku’s eyes widened at Marie’s sudden explosive moment of athleticism. She didn’t know what she was expecting when she felt Marie’s hands on her shoulders; but a hug was not it. She heard the bitter soliloquy of the woman who most closely resembled her family with a lump in her throat and a bitter smile on her face. She found herself opening her mouth to speak, only to be silenced by the patter of tears on her shoulder. She looked into Marie’s eyes, a deep, unfathomable sympathy for her resonating from the mutant’s eyes. “I could do worse becoming like you, Marie. I saw what I could have become.” She bit her bottom lip for a moment, choking back her own little tears. “But who am I to not try and be better, eh? I’m already better at fist-fighting than you.” She laughed a little choked up smile as she punched the older woman’s side a little, affectionately tapping the woman. She took a moment, before reaching in and hugging her again. “I’m not going anywhere yet, boss. It’ll take more than some snakes and some fancy words to get me away from the people who care.” She tightened the embrace a little, before a little sobbing laugh pushed past the moment of tender emotion. “By the way, no one ever knows we did this heavy-duty bonding thing. Reputations to uphold, and all that.

"Of course not, Kiku." Marie says with a soft smile, as she takes a step back and bumps into the desk. Before Marie can speak any further, Kiku hears a whisper in her mind. It was soothing, it was... Eve. "She lies to you, child. Come and see me."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back