[OOC] Endurn: Heart of the Alauum

@Pumpkin I have that everytime I have not replied to a roleplay within a week. Just happens.
Only thing I can usually do is to sit down and start. Motivation may be low but there is little else that one can do other than to start.
And then I am in the mood for it for quite a whileand continue to be until there is a quiet time again.

Just gotta woman through it.

Why y'all use Skype btw? Surely Discord is better?

Discord is really good for chat stuff. I think we discussed it a long time ago for Soul's other roleplay, and decided we just didn't have a big enough reason to push everyone to migrate. We do have a smaller group now, though, and I guess if we were to switch this would be the time. But I dunno if we really need to.

Basically, Soul, Discord is a (arguably more secure, and more stable) text and voice chat software. It doesn't do video calling like Skype, but allows you to have personal chat servers in which you can make as many different chat groups as you like. So you could, in theory, have an Illos chat and then an Endurn chat, a GM chat, an off-topic chat, a political chat, stuff like that. It allows you to customize who can see which chat channels, who has varying levels of moderation power, etc. and it's all very user friendly. But for those who don't really want to use those features, Skype is probably still best.

Discord is really good for chat stuff. I think we discussed it a long time ago for Soul's other roleplay, and decided we just didn't have a big enough reason to push everyone to migrate. We do have a smaller group now, though, and I guess if we were to switch this would be the time. But I dunno if we really need to.

Basically, Soul, Discord is a (arguably more secure, and more stable) text and voice chat software. It doesn't do video calling like Skype, but allows you to have personal chat servers in which you can make as many different chat groups as you like. So you could, in theory, have an Illos chat and then an Endurn chat, a GM chat, an off-topic chat, a political chat, stuff like that. It allows you to customize who can see which chat channels, who has varying levels of moderation power, etc. and it's all very user friendly. But for those who don't really want to use those features, Skype is probably still best.
That's probably the most indepth I've seen someone explain it. Usually it's just 'Chat rooms with voice chat'.

If you make a discord instead of a skype group, I'll actually join up. Skype is insecure and generally a pain to use, so I don't use it.

Meh, I still can't see any reason to switch XD I already have independent chat threads for each roleplay on Skype :) And moderation isn't necessary, since I'm the only GM. But it's good to know what people mean when they say discord!

Lol and @Pumpkin why is skype insecure? I've been using it for 4 years with not a single issue :)

Now I have to try and figure out who all has a CS that needs to be reviewed and worked on. . . I think Stoic and brucifer. *putters around thread doing chores*

@Stoic

5th Soul Ability: Debt of Death: Aiden gains a most unusual companion, about the size of a dog, which hovers about in the air. The creature, invisible to everyone except Aiden, fondly follows the man about, collecting trinkets that once belonged to the foes Aiden defeats. Initially, it may only find an old pair of socks, perhaps a coin purse or a statuette of a dragon from the mantle, but with time, and with the more powerful foes felled by Aiden, the companion will retrieve powerful relics, useful documents, and unusual personal items that can prove incredibly useful for Aiden and the rest of the party. This ability depends on Aiden's relationship with the companion, his knowledge of the enemies he defeats, and general mana use skill development.

Lol and @Pumpkin why is skype insecure? I've been using it for 4 years with not a single issue :)

From a quote online:

"not only does Discord have server to client encryption and protects your IP, it also has automatic failover. If there is a server failure of any kind (like a hurricane takes out the data center your server is hosted on for example) Discord will automatically switch you to a new server with little to no downtime and no loss of data."

But for your purposes, having IP protection and encryption isn't really something you're going to worry about. Though as far as servers go, Discord's are much better. Skype crashes 100x more than Discord does. I've only experienced one crash throughout all the time I've been using it.

I've never had skype crash :O

In recent years it's had a lot less problems. But the video/voice calling used to be pretty horrendous. The software itself doesn't tend to crash but it's infinitely more buggy than Discord... plus it's got ads. But honestly, people that complain about Skype and call it horrible are just the type who whine about anything that isn't new.

"not only does Discord have server to client encryption and protects your IP, it also has automatic failover. If there is a server failure of any kind (like a hurricane takes out the data center your server is hosted on for example) Discord will automatically switch you to a new server with little to no downtime and no loss of data."

Discord's privacy policies are flawed.
They assume the privilege to collect anything you post or say on discord and sell it however they wish or please to. Nothing free is ever truly free and they do not disclose how these sensitive informations could be treated, converted or possibly sold nor to whom or in which measure.
There has been significant effort recently to attempt to get a data surveilance onto skype and etc. in the execuse to more easily find terrorist. That should explain in itself that skype does still have a degree of privacy to the government and their surveilance as it works through peer to peer, which in exchange, is in general more buggy.

I'm one of the ones that still needs to be checked and given a 5th ability
I'll do that in the next hour :) so far stoic, brucifer, mowkie, Yoda, rain, and white are approved I believe. I'll get you approved tonight. I do need to do stats with stoic and brucifer though, which I'll also do tonight. Oh, and mowkie's stats too

Alathon is light on his feet and agile beyond comprehension, but the payoff for this is the fact that he is not used to taking damage. Relying upon his skills to keep him out of danger, Alathon never had time to train his body in the ability to take pain. Thus, he is weak in constitution and unable to take very many hits.
So this is the only thing I'm a bit thrown off by. What do you mean by "constitution" because to me, it's "a person's physical state with regard to vitality, health, and strength." And in this case, his constitution, as a ranger, would be high. I just like to make sure we're on the same page, so I just need to know what you mean by it in your CS.

2nd Soul Ability: Once more unto the breach: Any allies that follow behind you at the beginning of a battle get a bonus to their combat ability as long as they are able to see you throughout the fight.
This also, maybe just have a brainstorm to rethink. Because how I picture it, is that all the other players have to remember this ability and remember to roleplay this magical boost, which isn't ideal for a character ability, since we want your character's information to be focused largely on your character and your character's actions. If you want to keep it, I won't argue, but maybe just have a think about how you can make it more of an action on your character's part and less of an ability that requires other players to keep track of it.

Other than that, you just need to take your two homemade soul abilities and give them a line of development, as well as limiting factors. You can look on the website at the updated soul abilities to get an idea of what I mean by that. They all have a "initially" and "with more skill" section, as well as a "skill level is dependent on . . . ." etc.

Now, his 5th ability. . . .

Eye of the Skies: Alathon gains the ability to enter the mind of a bird and claim its sense as his own, allowing him to scout regions undetected and get a perfect image of the lay of the land. At first, only small songbirds may be used but with time he can harness the fastest fliers. Initially, this ability is hard to control, visions will be blurry, the bird will feel bothered by Alathon's presence and largely uncooperative. However, with time, he can learn to connect more with the nature and spirit of the birds and eventually they will welcome him. At this point, he can even will the bird to go certain places and act certain ways, like a well trained companion of the senses. If he ever leads a bird to its death, he will suffer immense and long-lasting pain, having to bear the sensations of death for himself.

So this is the only thing I'm a bit thrown off by. What do you mean by "constitution" because to me, it's "a person's physical state with regard to vitality, health, and strength." And in this case, his constitution, as a ranger, would be high. I just like to make sure we're on the same page, so I just need to know what you mean by it in your CS.

This also, maybe just have a brainstorm to rethink. Because how I picture it, is that all the other players have to remember this ability and remember to roleplay this magical boost, which isn't ideal for a character ability, since we want your character's information to be focused largely on your character and your character's actions. If you want to keep it, I won't argue, but maybe just have a think about how you can make it more of an action on your character's part and less of an ability that requires other players to keep track of it.

Other than that, you just need to take your two homemade soul abilities and give them a line of development, as well as limiting factors. You can look on the website at the updated soul abilities to get an idea of what I mean by that. They all have a "initially" and "with more skill" section, as well as a "skill level is dependent on . . . ." etc.

Righto, I'll see what I can do!

Eye of the Skies: Alathon gains the ability to enter the mind of a bird and claim its sense as his own, allowing him to scout regions undetected and get a perfect image of the lay of the land. At first, only small songbirds may be used but with time he can harness the fastest fliers. Initially, this ability is hard to control, visions will be blurry, the bird will feel bothered by Alathon's presence and largely uncooperative. However, with time, he can learn to connect more with the nature and spirit of the birds and eventually they will welcome him. At this point, he can even will the bird to go certain places and act certain ways, like a well trained companion of the senses. If he ever leads a bird to its death, he will suffer immense and long-lasting pain, having to bear the sensations of death for himself.

This is awesome and fits 100% with the theme I was going for.

Now, his 5th ability. . . .

It is done!

Back