Resolved/Answered 504

I don't think so.. This is my school Surface ;-; thanks tho! :)

A 504 error basically means that somewhere between two devices connecting, one of them slowed down too much and couldn't get the information the other was sending in a timely manner. This can be a bit tricky to fix, because you have to find out where the issue is coming from.

On our end, it shouldn't be the main problem. You might expect to get a 504 error using our website now and again during extenuating circumstances like a sudden influx of activity to a single page, accessing something at the same time our backup service is backing something up, things like that. It should however, be very rare. Ever since we've gotten our new server set up, issues with it being the problem have become almost extinct.

For example, the rare times when I get a 504 error is when I'm on the bus on my way home and going through a patch where I know the cell signal drops suddenly every time before quickly coming back. In that case, the error is being caused because my device's connection slowed down drastically and it couldn't process the request it was making to the site server in a timely manner.

Riven, when the problem happens to you, are you using your school's network, or do you know if your school's device requires that internet traffic runs through it via a VPN?

I know what it is, now! My high school has a program called "Dino" and they use it to monitor our software! That must be what's causing the problem! Thanks!!

Yes, if you're using a school device my guess is that it's most likely something in it causing the issue to happen often. Maybe the "Dino" monitoring, or any number of other networking restricting/manipulating.

Something your school uses in their devices to do whatever it is it's meant to do probably briefly interrupts your connection now and again while it's doing it's job and it's happening when you're trying to browse our site.

Sadly, this is totally outside of our control, and I wouldn't want to be known as the bad influence that teaches kids how to circumvent their school's restrictions and get them in trouble. Sorry if it gets too annoying to deal with :(.

Back