A Duel (A Short Story from the War of the Beasts Universe)

Kenico

Swordfreak and Master of the Pen
(Disclaimer before we start the story. If the use of any pictures is a big no no, please inform me and I'll take the time to remove the pictures immediately. Thank you and Enjoy the Story :3)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 1583

A Tournament was coming full boar this day. Mounted Knights, Men-At-Arms, and Armsmen had come from every corner of Aldan to participate in this contest of skill. Each house from the kingdom had come with their own champions, entourage, and pageantry. Costumes from every corner of the kingdom from flags to bunting was on display for all to see as Jon watched in awe at the hustle and bustle.

"Incredible" he said in a quiet tone, his brown eyes darting across the fair grounds while his brown hair felt the cold breeze of spring flow through like water. He sighed as he turned, noticing the massive cart carrying his armor to his tent. He gave a chuckle, genuinely excited at his first match with Gungnir and to see if all his family's hard work had paid off in helping him craft his Armatai.

Armatai, those massive beasts of steel and magic, standing 30 feet into the air and no different than the suits of armor that wrap themselves around the noble knight, were a staple of battle since their advent four hundred years ago. Those who wield these giant suits of armor are known as Armsmen, and they are the principle rival of the Mounted Knight in terms of usefulness and prowess of arms. They, armed with their rune inscribed parts and weapons that dwarf even the tallest giant's weapons, are the heavy armor of the battlefield and a deadly force to contend with alone.

Jon himself was an Armsman, and it took him and his family three years to acquire even the parts to make his Armatus, Gungnir. It was a heavy design, perfect for Jon's style of doling out punishment as much as soaking it up. It was armed with a two handed sword, shaped in the style of the Montante, along with two messers in the event he didn't have time to bring his Montante into the fray. The control chamber*, located in the chest wit the head acting as a helmet, was a standard design but by no means simplified, as these machines required the delicate parts and gears that power the machines through the use of Mana. It is this that Jon placed his dream of becoming an Armsman in the service of a Lord or even the King himself.

Jon smiled as he walked towards the registration booth, placing his name down and looking up at the overseer of the booth. The man, revealed to be an Elf, looked at Jon with a raised eyebrow and a skeptical expression.

"Jon Hawkwood-Armsman." he read from the book, "Where is your Armatus?" he asked. Jon pointed towards Gungnir as it was being raised. The elf uncharactaristically flared his nostrils as he snorted, "Do you have all your papers in order for that Armatus Mister Hawkwood?" he asked as Jon presented a small book, each page carefully done in the proper order by a paid scribe to show that Jon was indeed the actual owner of the very powerful and very expensive piece of equipment. The elf read each book carefully, critiquing every word and making sure that all Is and Ts were dotted and crossed respectively. Jon began to feel a pang of nervousness flow over him as he watched the Elf's face, hoping that he nor the scribe he paid to do this for him, didn't miss a thing. The elf, resigned to grabbing his glasses and reading over even the fine print, made one last comb of the small book before handing it back to Jon.
"You're paperwork is in order Mr.Hawkwood, you will be added to the roster for Armatus competitions. Would you like to be personally added to other events as well?" asked the Elf in a dreary voice.

"Yes." stated Jon, hiding his nervous side, "I prefer Arhcery, spear throwing, and any swordfighting competitions." he stated as the Elf wrote his name down in those rosters as well.

"And do you have paperwork and weapons for those as well, Mr. Hawkwood?" he asked.

Jon drew his messer, laying down and his knife in front of the Elf along with the papers required. Jon growled a bit as he presented both weapons and paperwork for said weapons, finding the law to be silly at times. For in the World of Sebientir, in order for a Commoner to possess a weapon of any kind they had to have the proper documentation stating they legally purchased and is legally licensed to use such weapons. Those who were of the Knightly and Noble Houses, and those who were in the employ of a Free Mercenary Company were exempt from such laws.

After the elf finished his inquiry he nodded, granting Jon passage onto the rest of the fair grounds. As stated before the tournaments had already begun, with most of the pageantry and performances underway. Jon smiled as he went to the tent reserved for him, looking over to see his Gambeson and jack-chains hanging from a rack along with a few other parts of armor he picked up on his journey here. He stretched himself, removing the unneeded clothing while placing on the Gambeson and chains. He threw also upon him greaves for his legs and vambraces for his arms and gauntlets to boot. However, the Gauntlets would have to be removed for the Armatai competition so he ensured they were not too tight. As he did he heard a ruffling behind him, inidcating someone was entering his tent. He turned quietly, keeping a hand on his knife as he faced the intruder. To his surprise it was a rather elder fellow, dressed in plate armor and holding a helmet under his arm while looking around. His face immediately betrayed his embarassment.

"Oh! I'm sorry lad! I thought this was my tent! I'll be off!" he said attempting to leave quickly.

"No! No!" replied Jon with a smile, "Please do come in! It must be exhausting wearing that heavy armor all day" he said, causing the elder warrior to furrow an eyebrow, "I've noticed the leather straps on your plates are worn. You must have been here for a while now." stated Jon.

The older man stared at him for a moment before checking to reveal the straps were indeed worn a bit. Bemused by the younger man's attention to something so small, a grin formed across the old man's lips as he took low bow in respect.

"Thank you kind Sir" he said as he checked a bit more, "I've finished up in one of the sword fighting rings. I assume you are on your way there?" he said pointing to Jon's messer.

Jon smiled, nodding back as he picked up the grip of his weapon, the blued steel regrettably did not show his distorted reflection. He smiled more, sheathing the weapon before revealing he had his gear on.

"Apollogies for not being properly equipped for that competition" he said, showing the difference between armors. The older man laughed as he tapped on his armor.

"Tis not the armor that makes the warrior young man, tis the skill. And I look forward to seeing that in the upcoming competitions" he stated, bowing again out of respect and taking his leave.

Jon nodded, placing his helmet, a domed cap with a wide brim across the circumference called a Soldier's Kettle. It looked like Jon had plopped a large buckler on his head and called it a helmet. He chuckled as he threw his archery equipment over his shoulder, grabbed his spear and actual buckler, and left the tent. He looked up to see Gungnir being prepped by complimentary maintenance men, smiled at the massive machine, and turned to undergo the first trials of his worth.

End of Part 1. Part 2 will be posted once I have it finished. Enjoy the read and hope that it is to any and all's liking, and I look forward to you all reading Part 2 once I have it up.
*View attachment 1585
NOTE: this is a facsimile of what the controls to an Armatus are, but they vary from Armatus to Armatus. This is not what is exactly in Gungnir but a close representation. Thank you :)

Pt.2
The tournament was in an uproar. Men and Women, ranging from Humans to Elves, to Dwarves, to Orks, to Vampires to Weres and so on, were either spectators to the clash of steel and muscle, or the ones participating. The Various Warriors, even from beyond the borders of Aldan, came to compete as Jon did his best at the competitions he signed up to. He was not there to win, for a man like him, it was more of a demonstration to his skills. He had spent three years assembling Gungnir, but he had also spent years of training up to this point in the art of war and logistics. His father discovered that Jon had a knack for organization and tactics. He loved playing games that pertained to such elements, and his ability to organize the farm had earned him a reputation in his village and in the county he hailed from to the point even the Mayor of his berg hired him to help organize the finances and the labor. It was these odd jobs that earned him not only his reputation of having good leadership skills but the money needed to make Gungnir a reality. Now, here as he knocked down an orkish warrior twice his size, is where Hawkwood had come.

He lifted his Messer towards the Orks' throat, putting the big man in a position that either he surrendered or fall. The Ork, looking around and realizing that this shorter man had bested him, growled as he announced his surrender. He lowered his eyes, thinking Jon was going to sneer at him and then leave, only to notice that a hand was outstretched and waiting for him to grab it. His eyes widened, looking up to see Jon had put his weapon away and lifted his helmet with a smile.

"You fought bravely Friend!" he said as he continued to offer his outstretched, ungloved hand to the Ork, "But May I suggest you incorporate elements of fighting combatants half your size into your foot work. Your blade-work is impeccable Sir! But sadly you failed to take into consideration the fact I was shorter and in a sense faster than you." he said still offering to help the Ork up. The Ork, nay the crowd were beside themselves as a hush had fallen over.

"I'll..." stated the Ork as he hesitantly raised his hand, "I'll remember that Sir. Thank you for the advice!" stated the Ork as he grasped Jon's hand, causing the crowd to roar again. Jon Smiled, pulling the larger man to his feet and patted him on the back. The Ork had apparently not seen a kindness from a human before so this was an apparent surprise, "May I have your name good Sir?!" asked the Ork as Jon pulled his helmet off.

"Jon...Jon Hawkwood of Egelshire! Near the Southwestern Coast!" said Jon to him stretching his hand out to shake the Ork's hand once more.

"Shacklebolt" said the Ork, shaking Jon's hand, "Tytus Shacklebolt from the City-State of Dorloster." he stated.

"From the Confederacy?" asked Jon surprised.

"Aye! The very same! I'm here looking for more soldiers for my Captain's Free Company." he said, "The Sunguard Company?" he asked, implying if Jon had heard of them.

Jon shook his head, "Sorry friend, never heard of your Captain or his Company." replied Jon, feeling a bit embarassed himself that he had no knowledge.

Tytus waved his hand aside, "That's understandable, we are not that well known outside the Confederacy, but we have a reputation of being the finest soldiers and have the Best Armsmen and Armatai in our Company" he said as he patted his chest with pride, with Jon raising an eyebrow.

"Will you be entering the competition as an Armsman as well Sir?" he asked the Ork.

"Alas I will not, I am a swordsman, not an Armsman. Are you?" he asked as he looked upon the young man. The look on Jon's face betrayed one of earned pride.

"Built my own with my bare hands. Took me years to find the right incantations and a working Mana Incantor to get him running but My Gungnir is my pride and joy!" he said pointing into the distance, revealing his Armatai sitting in the sun. The Ork nodded in approval.

"In that Case Lad I look forward to seeing your skills with it in battle." stated the Ork, giving him a salute with his free hand as Jon saluted him back.

"HERE YE! HERE YE! HERE YE!" Shouted the crier of the tournament, "The next Armatia Duel, will commence in the next Hour! Will the following contestants please report to their Armatus for inspection: Ser Augustus Filch and Jon Hawkwood of Egelshire!" they finished.

Jon looked over to Tytus, who nodded with a smile, "Good Luck Lad, Me and my Captain will Look Forward to seeing you in action"

"Your Captain's here as well?" asked Jon.

"Of course Lad" stated Tytus, moving closer so only they could hear the conversation, "To Be Honest, we're auditioning for one of the local lords and such. To Show off our skills so they can hire us. You see lad...there is a trouble brewing."

"Trouble?" asked Jon nervously.

"Aye. Seems that the politics of this land are a changing. Something involving Franca and such to the North, past the Imperium. That's all I know but it seems some want to do business with their old rivals. And the Old Guard doesn't want any of it. They still have open wounds from old feuds past, and in my opinion and from experience, letting old grudges fester is bad for everyone...especially for your purse." he chuckled, "Still, its good business for us Company-men, no offense to you Jon" he said, remembering who he was talking to.

"None taken" retorted Jon surprisingly, "I know we all got to eat, however I would appreciate that we didn't have to make war all the time. Sadly I know this isn't a perfect world. And moreover I know that trouble is coming. Hell I knew that long before I met you Mr. Shacklebolt. Reason I want to prove myself is so that I can enter service to a Lord or even the King himself and earn some protection for my family and home."

"A Noble Goal My Friend. And Please call me Tytus" stated the Ork.

"Jon" replied Hawkwood, "Well, I best be on my way Sir Tytus." said Jon, moving on to his Armatus.

"Good Luck Friend Jon! Me and My Captain will be observing you!" said the Ork, his toothy smirk still over his face.

Jon moved towards his Armatus, removing the metal gauntlets from his vambraces so as to control his machine better. That's when he noticed a lanky individual, whose gaunt features did not hide his youthful appearance, staring at Gungnir.

"Hello Sir" stated Jon, causing the man to turn and face him. His body revealed his was an Armatai pilot himself, and one of a noble house to boot. The coat of Arms on his right shoulder revealed he was of the House of Mordred, causing Jon to fall to one knee out of respect.

"Rise young man" stated a voice in his thirties, cold and sharp, "So this is your Armatus Sir?" he asked.

Jon rose to his feet, "Aye Lord Mordred" he said nervously, "This is my Armatus Gungnir, and I must be getting ready soon for my Duel."

"So you are Jon Hawkwood then?" asked the Mordred Knight.

"I am, Milord" replied Jon.

The Mordred Knight looked back up at Gungnir, his face wincing and cringing as he turned back towards Jon, "So you will be my opponent then?" he asked with an annoyed voice.

Jon stood, realizing that he would be fighting him soon, "I guess I am Milord" he stated bluntly.

The Mordred Knight looked back at Gungnir before shaking his head, "No disrespect to you Mr. Hawkwood but I consider it a disgraceful match up between us" he stated, now with a condecending tone and through his nostrils.

"And how is that?" asked Jon, slightly curious, partially offended.

"I've read your roster. This is your first time in the tournament circuit no?" asked the knight.

"Aye it is" replied Jon.

"I've competed in these tournaments for the last 7 years since I was a squire. You Sir have had no training...or at least, not the kind of training befitting of a Knight" stated the warrior. Jon kept a blank expression, but internally he was becoming more annoyed with this one, "Tis a pity really. Since that law was passed allowing common folk to possess these wonderful machines the pedigree of Armatus has severely downgraded." said the Knight out loud, Jon's anger slowly rising.

"Well, I guess well see when we compete Milord. I hope to prove your assumptions wrong" stated Jon as he stretched out a hand in respect. The Knight merely looked at it and turned away.

"My assumptions are never wrong Mr. Hawkwood. And I hope that with this match that I will dissuade you from perusing a career in Armsmenry...and to put that poor creature out of its misery." he suddenly said, Jon staring at him as he turned to leave, "No disrespect sir, but that is the most horrid machine I had ever seen" he stated leaving.

Jon wanted to draw his Messer, cleave this arrogant fool's head in half for insulting his skills and his Armatus, a machine his family slaved over to build piece by piece. The fact that would have been a death sentence for him outside the dueling ground stayed his hands from even moving to his weapon. He sighed as he moved into his tent, setting his Kettle down and picking up what Armsmen called a Skull Cap. This was basically a metal covering for the head to protect the Armsmen from the rattling found inside the control chamber of an Armatus. Jon fixed this over his head, making sure the strap was snug as he climbed up the machines 30 foot tall frame, pushing a button inside the neck of the machine.

Sheesh! he thought, now I know why most guys have their machines lower to the ground if they are without scaffolding! he pondered, looking down as he waited for the hatch to open, seeing a rather long way down.

It did not take too long, for in no time flat the head extended upward and the hatch hissed forward and pivoted down, allowing him inside to the control chamber and the harness within. After a thud from jumping in, Jon fitted his feet into the stirrups and heard them and his legs lock in place. With his feet and legs locked in he slid his arms into the flexible control levers, the sleeves made of canvas and dragonhide for their durability, many copper wires fitted throughout along with small rune like incantations lined both the harness and the interior of the chamber. As soon as his arms and legs were secured the chest locks engaged, meeting in the middle and locking the harness finally around Jon. As soon as he was locked into the controls the main chest receeded and locked into its original position, with the head sliding down over Jon's face, the face plate open to allow Jon to see the outside world as he gripped through the rings. He let out a shaky breath as he pushed down on the pedals, hearing the clicking and whirling of his machine's inner workings. Suddenly the machine finally responded, Gungnir's legs jolting a bit as they began to mimic Jon's own movements. Jon moved his arms, smiling as he saw Gungnir's arm move up in tandem with his. He grasped and released his right hand, watching as Gungnir did so as well in real time.

"Great!" said Jon out loud, smiling as Gungnir was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing. He was incredibly happy, after years of finding the proper runic coding, finding exactly how to word the coding right, this was the ultimate payoff as he leaned his head back a bit. Suddenly the opening where Jon was looking through was closed by the face plate, rendering the inside now completely in darkness. A span of three seconds later and the small area no bigger than an oversized helmet was aglow, white light causing Jon's eyes to squint for a moment before he suddenly found the outside world staring back once more, this time as if there was no armor around him at all. He looked to his hand once more, seeing not his own hand but Gungnirs. The smile that was adorning his face became greater, proving to him that the sensor runes, along with Seeing Stones he painstakingly carved were working perfectly. Gungnir was mobile and online. Jon gave a small cheer from inside his chamber, smiling as he moved his left leg forward like he practiced many times before. The Armatus' leg lurched forward, landing a few feet away as Jon began to move the Machine to the Dueling field...

End of Part 2. Part 3 will hopefully wrap this short story up ladies and gentlemen! And I promise exciting action and further more insight into this fantastical world! :)

The Massive Field behind the tournament itself was to be the venue for Armatai Combat, with a box for the dignitaries, House heads&hiers, and of course His Majesty King Guthram of House Borden and his Family sitting center stage and awaiting the festivities. To his left sat Alex of House Mordred and his Family, and to Guthram's Right sat Uther of House Pendragon and his family. To Mordred's own left was James of House Kirke, and to Pendragon's own right was Glorios of House Tentagil. All the houses had their families to watch the proceedings and to enjoy the demonstration of power Armatai displayed. However, there was another guest, who took his place behind Uther and Guthram. The man had a stout face and stouter body, his hair both on head and face were starting to gray, while his eyes were green. His face while jolly, betrayed battle hardened features, which included scars and cuts from battles past. The man, Half-Elvish in origin, was Vortigern Captain of the Sunguard Company. He, along with a refreshed Tytus, took their seats as the crier began the unveiling of proceedings.

"HEAR YE! HEAR YE! HEAR YE!" cried out the Herald, "Allow me on behalf of his Gracious Majesty, King Guthram of House Borden, to welcome you all to the first Armatai Duel of the Tournament!"

The crowd cheered and roared, the ground shaking as Tytus watched. He leaned towards Vortigern, so as they could only hear each other.

"I heard you got bested by a newcomer?" stated Vortigern, a chuckle bellowed almost feminine, "Getting old Shacklebolt?" he asked teasingly.

"Not on your life!" retorted Tytus, watching as the opponent fighting on behalf of House Mordred began to appear with fanfare and entourage ,"How goes the negotiations and what news may I ask?"

"It's more of a good news/bad news situation Tytus" stated Vortigern as he turned to stare at the Ork, "Good news for us, bad news for this country."

"what have you learned Captain, again may I ask?" stated the Ork, his face hiding concern.

"We'll be in contract with House Pendragon. Uther has retained our services to guard his granary, but from what my spies have told me we may be getting more work than for that." stated the Half-Elf, his elven ears covered by his gray hair, "Turns out Houses Kirk, Tentagil, and primarily Mordred are in some negotiations with Franca's King Charlemage. Looks like the Imperium is giving them both the squeeze as of late and House Mordred is offering to marry someone either from their house or House Borden if they pull their heads out of their asses to someone from the house of La Franca. Basically..."

"They want to Join Aldan and Franca together to form a powerful alliance against the Imperium. With two kingdoms on both their Southern and Northern Front united, the Imperium would be forced into a war on two fronts should they make aggression. The Imps would be at a disadvantage" concluded Tytus, with Vortigern grinning.

"However, Houses Borden and Pendragon are patriotic as of late. They cling to old ideals like a corpse in rigor mortis grips his gold. It's futile but they're persistent." stated Vortigern, his grin turning into a smirk, "On top of that they are still citing old grudges that blind the conservatives from progress. But their gold is good and got to us first so pretty much we'll be working for them...for now at least" he stated the last part extremely quietly.

As Vortigern finished, the Herald began calling out the first warriors that were to fight.

"For our first Duel, I have the extreme Honor to introduce his gracious, bold, and daringness. Champion of the Rivermark and First Knight of House Mordred, Sir William Dursley of House Mordred!"

A cheer came over the crowd as Jon's opponent, William Dursley, already mounted up in his Armatus Granite...
0e48153a5f9621c3f7b3f3d90f1beb72.jpg

...Made the field. The Machine raised its longsword into the air, nodding to House Mordred on the box. As he did, he planted his swordpoint into the ground as the Herald called forth the next challenger.

"And the Challenger, hailing all the way from the Northwestern Coastal Parish of Egalshire, Jon Hawkwood and his Armatus, Gungnir!"

Another cheer, if only for the fact of the fight, rang out as Jon and Gungnir took the field...
View attachment 1587
...The Herald nodded as he motioned for both Armatai to take to their starting positions, with Tytus leaning forward to Vortigern once again.

"That's the one. Jon Hawkwood. Lad's got skill with a blade. From what I heard he's not too good with throwing a spear but he's got good aim. Archery he's horrid at but its in close quarters is where he excels." stated Tytus. Vortigern looked at him, nodding with a grin.

"Well then...Let's see how this turns out" stated Vortigern, leaning back and watching with interest how this little duel unfolded.

"Alright Gungnir..." said Jon as he grasped his fingers together, looking forward to see Granite before him. He snarled as he remembered what who he now knew as William said about Gungnir, "...you want to be right. Be right...after I put that gaudy thing out of its misery" said Jon quietly, raising his right hand. In tandem, Gungnir's arm raised over its head, pulling his Montante off from the rack, its messers hanging from either side on its hips. The massive cold steel glinted in the sunlight as Granite picked it's weapon up from the ground, tossing the dirt and mud from its point off. The machine's eyes flashed as it performed a brief salute and assumed a combative stance. Jon nodded to himself, assuming his stance as well, albeit clumsily as he prepared for the duel to commence. Vortigern noticed and nodded.

"He's got some rudimentary knowledge...but his techniques are raw and untrained...this one is a rook" he said bluntly as the Herald raised both his hands and his voice.

"ARMSMEN! ARE YOU READY?!" Shouted the Herald. Both suits gave their confirmations. The Herald turned to His Majesty, "YOUR- I-I mean Your Highness...are you ready?" he asked blushing. Guthram chuckled and nodded. The Herald nodded, turning to both combatants and lowered his hands fast, "BEGIN!!!"

As soon as he shouted that, both combatants charged at one another, with Granite jumping high into the air, both hands on his longsword for a powerstrike. Jon gasped as he kicked his leg forward, breaking Gungnir and raising his twohander over his head. The strike was fierce and the noise louder than churchbells, with Jon sliding his opponents blade away from him, pushing his legs back to give himself room from the Granite. A gasp and a cheer came from the crowd, watching as the duel went underway. Dignitaries and spectators alike watched with curiosity and anticipation, some others taking secret bets on the duelists. Vortigern stared before leaning back to Tytus.

"Why was a commoner allowed to take the first match? And why against a knight of Mordred?" he asked as the thought dawned on him.

"Politics more likely Captain" replied Tytus, "They want to show off their prized warrior as a demonstration to the Bordens if I were a betting man. As for why him and first Sir, if I didn't know better, I'd say Mordred chose him cause apparently he's the only commoner with an Armatai to enter." stated Tytus, with Vortigern nodding. He suddenly pulled out a heavy purse, setting it on the betting platter coming to him and let it pass him. Tytus looked at him wideeyed.

"I'm betting on the new kid...I always do like rooting for the underdog" stated Vortigern, smirking as he watched the Armatai duke it out.

Jon growled, bringing his blade up, deflecting the sword aside and pushing him away. He heard William growl from the machine and its voice amplifier.

"Stop Playing Games Peasant!" shouted the man out loud, the adrenaline coursing through his veins made him forget that was a dirty word, causing the crowd to suddenly boo him. Though in his rush he didn't care as he brought his blade down hard on him. Jon missed it this time, causing the blade to hit Gungnir's left shoulder. Jon cringed, hearing the sickening crash and crumple of armor as the blade bit in, taking a chunk of Gungnir's armor off with it. The Crowd cheered out in approval, finally getting the first hit of the day as Tytus looked over at Vortigern.

"It's only a flesh wound Tytus, its' not over yet" stated Vortigern as Gungnir pulled away, Jon staring at Granite.

"Like I said, that sorry excuse of an Armatus will be put down. I will show you boy that this line of work is only for one who has heart! I will give you mercy of an early retirement!" shouted William as he brought his blade over his head, only for Gungnir to bounce forward, catching the blade with his cross guard and moving out of his central line. Gungnir side stepped, with Jon twirling his blade out of the way and allowing the blade to fall into the mud. Bringing the blade upwards, he brought it down as fast as he brought it up, slamming it into the right shoulder of Granite, the weight of the heavier blade making a much more heavier noise as the hefty blade bit deeper. William growled, looking up to face Gungnir. His face went pale, and his eyes widened as he looked up to meet a fist connecting with the head of Granite, sending the machine flying back and stumbling like a drunk in a tavern.

The Crowd went wild, screaming at the act and cheering. Vortigern smirked as he watched the Gungnir assume a defensive stance, placing the blade defensively across itself to form a defensive screen against whatever came next. A roar came from William, raising his blade and charging forward. Before Gungnir could react, the Granite side stepped, getting out of his opponent's central line and unleashing a flurry of attacks. The Gungnir didn't stand a chance from that, each spot hit the Armatus spot after spot, tearing chunks out of the armor as it forced Gungnir to a knee.

William smirked, seeing how damaged Gungnir was and thinking he had this amateur on the ropes. He raised his blade over his head to give a killing blow. The Crowd gasped as Gungnir dropped its Montante, looking up at William as he kept himself ready.

"Do you yield Peasant?!" he shouted for all to hear, "Yield and I'll give that pitiful excuse for an Armatai a chance to rise again as a better machine! Preferably in better hands!" he suggested.

"SCREW YOU!" shouted Jon, Gungnir's hand reaching for a messer on its left hip. William grinned, noticing it as he prepped for that assault. Without a thought he brought his blade down, growling annoyed as Gungnir shifted left, letting the sword land into his right shoulder and being embedded. Without warning to the crowd but to anticipation to William and a few savvy others, Gungnir charged forward, attempting to draw a messer with his right hand. William's smirk returned, using his left hand to grab the Gungnir's right elbow and stopped it from drawing the messer.

"Pathetic! You think you could get me with-"

William's eyes widneed once more, his smirk gone as he heard a sicken crash, followed by electrical sparks as he saw the left hand slamming into the armpit of his Machine, a concealed dagger that had been until recent hidden in the wrist. Now it was embedded into the sensitive parts under the heavily armored shoulder, with Gungnir twisting and cutting into the circutry and wiring. Granite's right arm was trapped at the time, gripping the sword that was embedded into Gungnir's right shoulder while the left hand was occupied with the right elbow. Jon smirked...William walked into the trap.

"YES!" screamed Vortigern, standing up with delight, seeing the tactic played out. His face was beaming as he realized this amateur understood, "He knew! The sun of a bitch knew! The Granite is too heavily armored! He let this bastard let his guard down and went for a weak point! Textbook!" he cried out, "Go Get Him Boy!" he cheered on, with Tytus cheering on as well.

Jon smirked as he pulled his hand away, leaving the knife in the armpit as he pulled his left hand back. Before William could retaliate, Gungnir sucker punched Granite in the face, sending it reeling back as William tried to establish a guard with his sword. He kept pulling, only to realize his right arm wouldn't move. He looked down, realizing that his opponent jammed his right arm's gears. He turned to see that Jon pushed his still working left arm aside, a messer in Gungnir's right hand now as he started hacking into the Granite. The crowd cheered and shouted in acclaim, watching as the Gungnir basically kick the shit out of his opponent. After a bit, the Granite managed to get it's longsword into its left hand, deflecting another one of Gungnir's attacks. He slide his blade forward, clipping Gungnir's head and causing Jon to back away. He sheathed his Messer, backing away to pick up his Montante. At this point both Armatai were damaged and taken from hard beatings. Gungnir had nicks and crushed armor in his shoulders and a heavy gash in the head. Granites shoulders and chest were torn asunder but still holding. Both Armsmen beneath were breathing and sweating, William had a busted lip and a chipped tooth. Jon had a nasty gash inside his skull cap and causing blood to pour down his cheek. He growled as he lifted his sword into position, getting ready for what came next.

"You little bastard!" shouted William, clearly angered that this peasant of all people had done considerable damage to him, "To the underworld with putting it out of it's misery! I'll make you and your piece of shit go down slowly and painfully!" he roared, preparing his weapon, "I will put you and any who think they can pilot those machines in your place!"

"You feeling healthy for it" stated Jon, staring at him, scanning his enemy over and trying to find another weakpoint. He sighed as he switched hands, getting in a left hand position, making his left hand his strong hand in this stance. The crowd looked on in confusion, with Vortigern watching with excited curiosity. William changed his guard from high to low, dragging the tip of his sword along the ground as he charged. He swung up hard, with Jon bringing his blade down for defense. William roared, bringing his leg up to try and kick his opponent in the side. The blow landed, causing Gungnir to lurch forward, followed by William swinging his damaged right shoulder into Gungnir's face, sending it rearing back as the crowd roar. William did not stop there, bringing his blade forward and lunging. He aimed for the faceplate of Gungnir's head, wanting to pierce the control chamber and ultimately kill Jon. The Crowd gasped as Gungnir stood there as if waiting for it. Vortigern smirked...

Gungnir drew his messer once more, using the curved part of the guard to catch the blade of his opponent's sword, guiding it away from the Armatus, and into the ground. The swords planted themselves into the ground, with Jon pulling his other messer from his left him, pulling it over his head. William looked up in horror, releasing his grip from the sword and raising his left hand to guard his chest and head of his machine. The Messer crashed into the armor, cleaving the wrist and hand way from the machine, bringing it down past that and crashing into the collar of the Granite. William felt the metal crashing into his left hand, breaking his wrist from the blunt trauma and causing him to cry out in pain. The Granite fell back, with Gungnir standing up and pulling his Montante up one more time. He gripped his sword tightly, walking towards the now crippled Granite and getting ready to finish it off. William's face was that of pure horror, with his Armatus' right arm disabled and his own left hand hurt, he was practically unable to fight back except for one move. Without warning the Granite charged forward, attempting to body slam his opponent and hopefully do some damage. The Gungnir just simply sidestepped the Granite, letting the now disabled Armatus stumble onto its belly and crash into a sickening thud into the mud. The Gungnir walked forward slowly, planting a foot onto the Granite's back and bring the tip of his Montante at the spine, intending to stab home into the back. William looked back into his peripheral vision with terror, realizing he was now a wounded, trapped animal as Jon looked down at his opponent with indifference, lifting his sword to deliver the killing blow...

Part 3 is done. Will FINALLY Finish Part 4 Tomorrow when my brain is recharged XD. Hope you guys enjoyed this so far. Anyone have any questions, comments and/or concerns please pm me when I'm able to get pms :p.

Part 4.
William looked back into his peripheral vision with terror, realizing he was now a wounded, trapped animal as Jon looked down at his opponent with indifference, lifting his sword to deliver the killing blow.

"Yield!" called out Jon from his Armatus, pushing his foot against his opponent's back, his sword ready to finish the job. He snarled as he applied a bit more pressure, hearing William panic as his own control chamber started to buckle.

"I YEILD!" he cried out, "I YEILD!" cried out William again, causing Jon to pull both sword and foot away from the downed Armatai, stretching a hand forth to flip the machine onto its back, allowing his defeated foe to escape his damaged machine.

Jon took a few steps back, keeping his sword pointed at the fallen Granite while he checked to his rear to ensure that this Mordred didn't sick goons after him. He sighed as the King nodded to the Herald.

"In the name of King Guthram, our First Champion this day in the Armatia Contests, JON HAWKWOOD!!!" cried out the Herald. The Crowd screamed in acclaim, people cheering Hawkwood's name as he raised his sword into the air while he watched riders coming to retrieve William. He watched them like a falcon, staring at William as the fallen Knight of Mordred gave him the look. He knew that Mordred would try to get his revenge, so until he entered service with someone Jon would have to be on his guard. He didn't like it, but knew that's how petty some of these noblemen could be.

He managed to get back to his tent, kneeling down Gungnir's working legs and popped the hatch. He cringed as he heard the creaking of armor as it scrapped against the damaged parts of his Armatus. Without another word and after moments of removing his Harness, Jon climbed out of Gungnir. The cool air hit him like a blast of ice water even though it was spring, the inside of the Armatus almost steamed from the heat that built up from Jon's perspiration.

Hmmm...I'll have to find a way to add some vents that I can control for heat and such thought Jon, finally climbing down from his Machine, only to turn and see King Guthrum coming towards him. Without a thought and wide eyed, he fell to one knee, keeping his head low as he heard the King and his entourage halt.

"Rise Armsman, you have fought well Mr. Hawkwood" stated Guthram's voice. Jon hesitated for a moment, but quietly rose to his feet. He kept his eyes to the ground, not knowing how to speak to HIs Majesty.

"No need to look away young man, you have fought and won the right to look upon me. And besides its rude to do so in the first place" stated Guthram. Jon immediately made eye contact with King Guthram, nervous at first as he looked around and noticed both bodyguards and the two mercenaries. One was Tytus, the other he assumed was Captain Vortigern.

"Th-Thank you Your Majesty. But-But I only got lucky" stated Jon.

"Luck does not count for a man's skill in tactics" stated Vortigern suddenly, "You showed that well in your duel with Sir William Very well! I speak for myself when I say I was extremely impressed!"

Jon couldn't help but blush as he gave a weak smile, "Thank you Kind Sir. But I only did what I read in the manuals" he said honestly. Some of the soldiers, the Mercenaries included, looked at him wideeyed.

"You did all that from just learning from a book?!" asked Tytus.

"Aye, I did Sir. And I practiced with my Father and brothers in Egalshire Sir. I added some weight to me to mimic the heft of Armatai armor. Granted its a crude analogue but it helped...I-I hope" he said blushing a bit more.

Vortigern looked at Jon dumbfounded, a smirk flowed across his face as he looked at Tytus.

"I have to ask Young man" asked Vortigern, "Have you any aspirations in your Armsman career?"

"Aye I do" he asked looking at them sheepish, the king listening intently, "I seek to earn myself service with one of the Lords or...even His Majesty Himself" he said boldly, "I seek to try and earn an honestly living being a good Soldier. To Feed My family and with the privileges of being in the Services as great as you sir, that also comes with protections correct?"

"Aye that they do" stated the King, "Alas young Man, I do not have an opening for an Armsman at this time regrettably" he said, actually disapponted that he had to say it. Jon was even more disappointed as he lowered his head exhausted, "However, should you compete with the other Knights in the competition I am confident you will find a Lord who will see as I do your intriguing talents" he said as he bowed.

Jon immediately bowed lower, "Thank you Your Kingship" he said as Guthram nodded, he smiled and returned to his box, waiting for the next duel to unfold.

Vortigern stepped forth suddenly, handing Jon a rather hefty bag of what sounded like gold. Jon looked at it wide eyed as he looked up at Vortigern.

"I bet a considerable amount of money on you and you won...That would be your cut of the bet as it is only fair" he said with a smirk, "that should cover any repairs you'll need to do for your Armatus for the coming matches" he stated.

"Thank you Sir!" stated Jon enthusiastically.

"On the contrary, thank You. I have never seen a more gifted tactician in my life...other than me and Tytus of course" he chuckled, with Tytus chuckling as well.

"You have some considerable talent Jon. To be honest um" he said, but hesitated as he looked at Vortigern, nodding as he knew what he was about to say.

"What he's saying is why waste your talents on some Lord or Lady who won't even appreciate them. Why not fight with men and women would would say...us?" he asked as he handed him a small card. Jon looked at it, seeing Vortigern's sigil of a sun with a shield behind it, "If none of these lords or ladies want you I sure as hell do. And I garun-damn-tee that theres more of that gold where it came from. Think about it" stated Vortigern as he and Tytus returned to watch the next match.

Jon stared at the Card, then the Gold, then back at Gungnir as the thoughts danced in his head. A Smirk formed over his head as he gripped both with confidence...

End...For now.

(And like that ladies and gentlemen the Short Story is OVER! YAY!!! If any want to post questions, comments, and/or concerns feel free to do so here now. Btw...this is a preamble to an upcoming RP so if you're interested with High Fantasy mixed with Giant Suits of Armor and Steampunk then this is one for you!!!)

Back