The Masquerade A Midnight Song

Lord_Deathstalker

The bleeding nose perv
Salazar kicked down his motorcycle stand. His long leather coat covering his cutlass and his worn leather vest covered in holsters holding antique flintlocks. Removing his coat he has dressed what the modern world thought pirates looked like. As a point of fact, no pirate Salazar heard of wore silk or foppish pants. Leaving his case on the bike Salazar looked at the Royal Albert Hall. It's domed roof and structure was striking in the light of the full moon. Taking an even more worn violin case off the back of his bike.
Salazar saw there was a bit of foot traffic even at this hour. Moving to a promising spot Salazar opened the case. And left it on the ground, The old violin had clear signs of wear and been through a lot. But it was also clear that it was equally well cared for. Making sure his bow was properly resigned and running his thumb over the strings to ensure a was well there two.
Then Salazar brought the bow to the strings and began to play. He raised his voice as he played "Oh, Lazarus
How did your debts get paid?
Oh, Lazarus
Were you so afraid?

When the fires, when the fires have surrounded you
With the Hounds of Hell comin' after you
I've got blood, I've got blood on my name

When the fires, when the fires are consumin' you
And your sacred stars won't be guiding you
I've got blood, I've got blood
Blood on my name"
Salazar moved to the music, he was never a very good dancer but he was an extent swordsman. So to anyone watching his footwork would notice that it swordplay steps not dancing steps. As he finished the small solo He raised his voice once again in song
"Oh, Lazarus
Oh, Lazarus
Were you so afraid?

Can't you see I'm sorry
I will make it worth your while
Made a dead man's money
You can see it in my smile

Oh, Lazarus
Oh, Lazarus
Were you so afraid?" Salazar soon finished the song and set down his violin. Reaching into his pocket he found his pack of smokes. Shaking one out he lit it. Exhaled a cloud of smoke. His eyes looking up at the large music Hall. It was not exactly his speed Salazar liked his small night club. Big places like this always made him feel a little wasteful after all he did not need all that room.

Kathryn was feeling content.

A wonderful piano concert by a very talented little boy had just finished, and the crows were just beginning to disperse. That boy was a veritable genius, and a possible future Toreador. Perhaps - if she ever found herself in the mood. His music had even managed to enrapture her for a while there, but she had managed to regain control of her senses without outside stimuli - another victory, which had left her in an even better mood. As the Keeper, it was of utmost importance that she learn quickly how to snap out of those moods, for it wouldn't do to have her unable to step up if ever a situation arose.

Thankfully, those were rare - most people tended to assume that her quiet and kind nature was just a facade for a dangerous, psychotic killer - something that amused her to no end, and a misconception she did her best to perpetuate.

The sound of a violin accompanied by a male voice raised in song interrupted her quiet musings. Intrigued, she walked toward the sound, and was surprised to find the new stranger as the violinist.

As soon as he finished, she clapped politely and stepped toward him with a warm smile.

"Good evening!" She greeted him with a small curtsy. "Salazar, correct? I didn't know you played. And you have a lovely voice. Please, come in and be welcome in Elysium."

Salazar gave her a sweeping bow. The sleeve tattoos on his arms doing a poor job of hiding the jagged scars that all but covered his arms. "I dabble, I find that it brings me joy to play for people. That and it is a welcome distraction" The hint of his Russain accent came through as he again spoke, "I mean who knew that Immortality could get so boring am I right." Salazar winked as he picked up his violin case. Replacing it he moved to his bike. "If you would wait but a moment I do not wish to enter another's abode armed as I am. " Salazar said as he with the skill of years of long practice began checking and storing the guns on his vest. Though he did not store his cutlass. Returning to Kathryn Salazar check that his cutlass would not bind if he needed it. It was again something formed out of years of long habit. That and he could not be too sure he was not walking into a trap. He held out the pack of cigarettes the logo on it was a nail and in bold letters, the pack proclaimed Coffin Nails. "Can I interest you in a cigarette ?" Salazar asked his eyes twinkling and flashing his dimples.

Kathryn crinkled her nose. "No, thank you. I find their taste quite disagreeable. But, please, by all means, come inside!" She invited again, gesturing him to come forth. "I thank you for leaving most of your weapons outside - this is a place of peace and quiet reflection, violence is not welcome here. But of course, I would not dream of depriving you of any means of defending yourself - you are of course unfamiliar with our traditions, and it is natural to expect a trap when you are a stranger. I assure you, however, you are in no danger here."

Salazar ground out his cigarette. And stepped into the hall smiling he said." I assure you, you are in no danger is exactly something someone wishing harm would say." Salazar said joking he continued " I know what it is like to control a safe haven. My own in Suttin is a lot smaller. Though I find that when it is in jeopardy that it is time to roll heads. Because any slight on the safety i offer is a slight against me." Salazar offered his arm so that she might take the lead.

Kathryn chuckled as she led the way inside. "Yes, I suppose you are correct. Still, forgive me if you perceive this as a lack of courtesy, but might I inquire as to the purpose of your visit?" She grinned at him. "Not that you are not welcome, you and your violin should visit often - I adore it when new musicians choose my abode to perform!"

She led him through the convoluted halls of the backstage until they reached a room which looked like a small, improvised office. Walking to a bookshelf on the farthest wall, she pulled a small book about indoor gardening, causing a hidden panel on the right wall to slide off and reveal a modern looking fireproof door with a a pad. Punching in the code, she gestured him to enter. "Welcome to my home."

Salazar kept close track of their twists and turns. He smiled making small talk as they moved " I find in my dealings with my friends. I keep an open door and if they want to show me the sun. And take what I have made they are more than welcome to try. Keeping the gangs in Sutten in check handling all the human informants. The lost fledglings made by incompatible. And while yes I do have a fair amount of power as a result. The only way they will get my organization is over my ashes." Salazar said clicking his tongue in mock discussed as he looked at the door. "From what I have seen it looks like a wonderful home...very secure," Salazar said as he used his fine hearing to pick out the code.

She snorted. "Oh, don't patronize me. I might be innocent by some accounts, but I'm not naive enough to assume you have not taken careful notice of everything I've done." She shot him a mischievous grin. "In fact, I'd be extremely disappointed if that was the case." She led him down a flight of stone stairs and a large corridor illuminated by movement sensing lights, which showed tasteful tapestries and priceless paintings by the Old Masters. Turning right at an intersection marked by a beautiful marble statue of Hestia tending to gold leaf flames she invited him into a spacious living room with comfortable leather couches, a state of the art sound system and a mahogany stand in a corner in which stood a simple stool and an ornately carved Celtic harp, ready to be played.

"Please, make yourself comfortable." She invited him, gesturing around the room. "Would you care for some refreshments?"

Salazar smiled again " And here I thought my roguish charm was going to woo you, Into a false sense of security" Salazar let out a low whistle as he past painting after painting. He stopped in front of one and tapped it's frame with a finger. "You know at one point in time I had his one stolen, Never did meet the client it was all dead drops" Looking at Kathryn again the wheels began to turn.
When they entered Salazar looked around the room. Making guesses to where doors would go based on the layout he had seen so far. Salazar even looked in the corner where the ceiling met the wall at the door. In case someone would have been lurking in ambush. Smiling having a few escape plans if it came to that. Salazar sat on one of the couches putting his feet up on the coffee table. And facing the chair that stood across from it. "No thank you it only took me one time of drinking sacred silver shavings to teach me. Not to accept candy from strangers. " Salazar said as he brought out a battered and dented hip flask. He waggled his eyebrows the steel barbell there catching the light. Salazar daintily sipped at his flask. As he waited for his host to take a seat.

The Keeper gaped at him. "Sacred silver shavings?" She sputtered, imagining the sensation of having something so toxic sliding down her throat. ""My, you keep colorful company, don't you?" She daintily sat herself on the chair in front of him, arranging the skirt of her elegant velvet evening gown so the fabric didn't wrinkle. "I so love pirate stories, though. When I was a young mortal, I used to imagine I was a pirate princess, giving beautiful concerts to my husband the pirate king." She grinned. "Now I was just treated myself to a concert from a pirate. Life takes mysterious turns sometimes, doesn't it?"

As she spoke and got herself comfortable, her sharp gaze never left his form, cataloging his every move and glance around the room. He demonstrated all the signs of the typical paranoia felt by every vampire invited to her private home for the first time. It was always quite entertaining to watch.

"But Mr. Grim, you have yet to tell me the reason for your visit."

Salazar laughed "No offense lady keeper but the reality of pirate life was not as glamorous as the books. And now movies make them look. " Salazar said his eyes going distant is mind fluttered back.
Salazar was back hanging by his wrists. The sway of the ship rocking his legs as he was suspended from the ceiling . The smell of his filth and of burned skin filled the small hold. The Captin's tools laid out in front for Salazar on a pristine white cloth. Salazar did not even have the energy to weep as he hung from his bonds.
Salazar was back plastering a pleasant smile on his face. He reached into his vest and came out with two idums. The first was another thumb drive. The second was a document tube. "Well, what brings me to your lovely home. Is this I have come by some more information on the people that seem to be bothering your convoys. Along with their next target. " Salazar said placing the thumb drive on the coffee table on his side. Salazar opened the tube and unrolled the documents. "This is my price for aiding The Camarilla. I want Sutten to be declared a sovereign terrirroy." Salazar slid the contract across the coffee table.
Salazar continued after taking a drink. " The terms are quite generious. I will cover all of the costs of cleaning the bodies. But I will have the right to make my own laws in Sutten. Basically all I want is The Camarilla to back my claim." Salazar sat watching The Keeper gague her reaction.

Kathryn gave only a cursory glance to the contract, choosing instead to observe her guest. He had proven to be quite capable, and bold as well, as his price attested. Humming quietly, she inclined her head, a frown replacing her warm smile.

"As you know, I cannot answer for my Prince. All I can do is organize a meeting in Elysium where you can both discuss the terms of this contract, and give my advice when it is asked of me. All the same, I thank you for following proper protocol and bringing this to my attention first." She nodded at him in gratitude as she said this. "If you agree, I will contact the Prince and see if and when he is available to have a meeting with you."

Salazar reclined his smile not wavering. "I would like to have your support in this matter. So how might i aqurie it?" Salazar asked as he looked around for an ash tray. "My friends tell me that The Prince heeds your advice. And having such a powerful supporter would go along way to seeing my goals meet" Salazar finished as he toyed with one of his lip rings . his eyes focused on The keeper.

Kathryn laughed in astonished amusement. Oh, she hadn't had such an entertaining guest in years! "Are you asking me for the best way of bribing me, Salazar?" Her eyes sparkled with her characteristic mischief, and she reached into a small discreet drawer on the underside of the coffee table, withdrawing a crystal ashtray and sliding it across the table toward him. "What are you willing to give me? Keep in mind, though, that even if I can be persuaded to help you convince the Prince, you will of course have to convince me first."

Salazar let out a bark of laughter. "My dear, bribe is such an ugly word. I like to think of it as a gift to insure are long and profitable friendship." Salazar said before winking.
Than the cheer left his face and the warrior that Salazar had always been came threw. As he said "look you and your fellows are being hit left and right. Do you want to risk your own troops in what will most likely be a long campaign of wack a mole. Or would you rather let someone else do the bleeding and dying."

With that Salazar quoted the contact "In exchange for declaring the area known as Sutton a free relam beholden to it's own laws The Prince can call a muster no more nor less than three times. Where all abled bodied must answer the call." Salazar shook out a smoke as he finished. And lit it exhailing a cloud he looked at his host.

Kathryn adjusted her weight in the chair to a more comfortable position as she thought. Truly, by her accounts, his price was not at all unreasonable, but Princes could be awfully territorial. And there was still the Sheriff to deal with. Alexander would most likely heed her advice, he always had in the past, but Marcus was utterly unpredictable. As the Prince's two closest confidants, if their opinions conflicted there was no way to tell which option he would choose.

"I do agree that your terms and price are adequate enough." She declared. "And because I think so, I will of course advise the Prince to accept them. However," she added, "as you no doubt know since you seem to be so well informed, I am not the only one the Prince listens to."

Salazar smiled grimmly " ah the Sheriff my friends say he is not exactly the most stable. " Salazar said flicking his ash into the tray. Looking down as his phone cherpped "excuse me" pullimg his phone out Salazar read the text it read simply 'there comming'

Than Salazar got out of his seat. Saying "balls it looks like i may have brought trouble to your home. I should take my leave as to...." The rest of what Salazar said was drowned out by the sound of a breaching charge being detonated. Salazar drew his cutlass. Exposing the blakened steel with with a wavey pattern of sacred silver along the blade. He moved to stand between Katyrn and the door. Rolling his head one way than the other. Fallowed by saking out his sword arm.

Rising from her seat with a long-suffering sigh, Kathryn grabbed her smartphone and sent a quick text message to both the Prince and the Sheriff. It was extremely simple, consisting only of the words "Code Blue", and had been preset on her phone so the recipients of this message would be immediately alerted in the eventuality that Elysium or its Keeper were ever attacked.

Message sent, she walked toward the music stand and opened a hidden compartment on it, taking out a military grade rifle equiped with silver bullets.

An expression of absolute distaste marred her features as she checked that the weapon was in order. She was perfectly aware that if any of the attackers got within physical range, she would not have the power or the skill to fight them off. It was best to neutralize them at a distance.

With another long sigh, she turned her attention to the door at the same time she asked her guest: "I was the target you spoke of, wasn't I?"

Damn it. They better not ruin her paintings!

Marcus was relaxing when the text message came in. Gunning the engine on his TVR he flipped down the back seat exposing the G-36 and it's big Beta C-Magazines and flat-footed it for the Keeper's private sanctum. As he drove, now hitting 120 kph through london's streets he picked up the phone and dialled his pet Ghoul in Scotland Yard. "THIS IS MARCUS!," He took a corner sliding through it with almost racing precision, "THERE IS AN ATTACK UNDERWAY, I NEED YOU TO KEEP RESPONSE TIMES DOWN, OR OFF."

"YES I KNOW IT WON'T BE EASY." He struggled as the voice continued, "Yes, I know being Chief Superintendent means you're under scrutiny, but this is an attack on Camarilla grounds. The Masquerade is at stake." There was a moments silence before a single statement over the phone. "Good man."

Hanging up he diverted his entire concentration to the road.

He slammed on the stereo at maximum volume.

"THIS IS WHY I NEED HOUNDS!" He roared to nobody in particular.

Salazar sent one more message it read " boarding prodigal' tossing his phone on the ground Salazar said "there was a list of high value targets. This place was on it thougjt it would be better safe than sorry"

With that he heard the boots hittng the ground in a rythmic fashion . And he moved to the side of the door way. His face split into a deaths head grin. At the first sign of the intruders. Salazar attacked. His blade fashing as arms legs and gun barrels hit the floor. He was like poetry in motion. Only moving just enough so that the counter attacks missed. Every swing of his sword leaving dead or soon to be dead...the smell of moral blood making the once fashionable room smell like a charnel house

Back