A Step Into Madness

DeJoker

Master of Mayhem
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age.”
― H.P. Lovecraft

“It lumbered slobberingly into sight and gropingly squeezed Its gelatinous green immensity through the black doorway into the tainted outside air of that poison city of madness. ... The Thing cannot be described—there is no language for such abysms of shrieking and immemorial lunacy, such eldritch contradictions of all matter, force, and cosmic order.”

“Dem tings told the Kanakys that aft dey mated there’d be child'n dat ood look 'uman at fust, but lata turn more’n more like the tings day are, till finally daid take to the water an’ jine the main lot o’ tings down dar. An’ dis is de important part, young feller — dem as turned into doze fish tings an’ went into da wahta wouldn’t nev'r die. Dem tings day nev'r die excep’ when daze was kilt violent like.”

“As I gazed upon them my mind could barely comprehend them. I think their predominant color was a greyish-green, though they had white bellies. They were mostly shiny and slippery, but the ridges of their backs were scaly. Their forms vaguely suggested an anthropoid, while their heads were the heads of fish, with prodigious bulging eyes that never closed. At the sides of their necks were palpitating gills, and their long clawed hands were webbed. They hopped irregularly, sometimes on two legs and sometimes on four. I was somehow glad that they had no more than four limbs. Their croaking, baying voices, clearly used for articulate speech, held all the dark shades of expression which their staring faces lacked. I heard them say to the new arrivals from inland, We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to cyclopean and many-columned Y’ha-nthlei, and in that home we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.”

I will be using mechanics behind the scenes so you do not need to be familiar with them. Further I will guide you through the mechanics part of character creation so you do not have to worry about that either. You just need to be prepared that the character may die and/or go insane. This is truly a case where the journey is much more important than the destination as the destination is rarely pleasant.

If this interests you the year is 1933 in a slightly different world from our own as within this world the writings of H.P. Lovecraft are simply a collection of notes left behind by those that faced the inexplicable.

Do you have what it takes? If you do pick a general profession from the list below and write up a back story for your character. Along with at 3 least people that are important to that persons life, that are still alive, and still in easy contact with the character (live near by, can be reached by phone, etc...). Further I want to know at least the following things about each person:

1) I want to know who they are (give em a name)
2) I want to know what the relationship is (describe it)
3) I want to know what the character knows about the person (from their viewpoint)
4) I want suggestions on things about the person that maybe the character does not know.

Note : Please wrap these significant others in a private wrapper for now or PM them to me if that is not possible.

Occupations : Antiquarian, Archaeologist, Artist, Author, Clergy, Criminal, Dilettante, Doctor, Hobo, Journalist, Military, Nurse, Parapsychologist, Pilot, Police Detective, Private Investigator, Professor, Psychologist, or Scientist

Last edited:
Great and that is as an Artist --- those groupings are pretty broad so there is room for Artists when more folks become interested

This sounds intense I'd love to join! I'd be interested in making an author character. If that's alright I'll start working on details?

By all means I am currently in the process of trying to get the game set up so that I can get it started. For know just outline who your character is and why they is and to some degree their experiences that outline where their skills may have come from -- does not have to be overly detailed but the more detail you create the more I have to work with. Also the game will require that you outline at least 3 (but you can have more) relationships that are important to your character and that are still alive and are still in fairly easy contact with the character -- an Author generally has a publicist as an example

Hmmmm could you create a thread explaining the specifics to playing this game?..

Those have been created as well -- but the Trail of Cthulhu Condensed Rules gives a nice player overview and is a linked PDF within a thread marked as such -- will be adding clarification rules as well as tweaks to the Mechanics thread and I will post in the White Zone when such things have been completed or you can just check whenever you want

Initially I am just looking for esoteric stuff -- as denoted in the Character : Creation thread

I will be helping to translate the esoteric to mechanics

I am interested and do have a character sheet. Are we are supposed to post them to the Character creation thread directly or do so through PMs to be more discrete and private?

Back