Etoliea A Tale Born in Fire

Explodinator

Harbinger of Memes
As always, the land of Mysticism was scorching hot. The embers that formed the ground let off a soft glow, but not much else was evident in the fiery fields. Amidst the cinder and ash, a lone wolf (literally) quietly partook in a freshly caught meal.

Any normal wolf would scarcely think of burning themselves alive in a land like this, bur Fenkir was certainly not ordinary. His enchanted body allowed him to withstand the heat. Fenkir would use his mealtime to think, daydream, or simply be at peace with himself for a while. Ever since he learned the truth about WhimsyLux, he found himself unable to relax.

I'm certain my time wears thin, he thought, but without an ally, I doubt I'd get anywhere.

Last edited:
Draken awakens from his long slumber from within his workshop. He sits down and takes some time to calibrate himself after a long night of hunting larger beasts in his dragon his form. His eyes glow yellow though they clearly show his fatigue. No matter how tired he was however, he was hungry and had to go out to look for food. In his humanoid form, he walked towards the exit of his workshop. Draken emerges from inside a bright red lava-fall and stretched himself out. He then spots a wolf not to far away into the distance. Draken snorts, this was an easy appetizer for him before the main course. He walked towards the wolf, eyeing it menacingly.

Not ceasing to eat his own prey, Fenkir listened to the steps coming closer to him. They were easy to hear, due to both his enhanced hearing and the apparent lack of stealth used against him. Looking over his shoulder, he observed the one approaching him.

"Wonderful..."
Fenkir had encountered their kind before, but he has never spoken to one, nor has he learned anything about them. Deciding to test it, Fenkir spoke to it telepathically: "Go on, attack me. Make my day."

Draken spits out a ball of magma and snorts again. He walks up to the wolf, towering over it. He looks down on the wolf with a scowl. He lets out a rough sounding breath. Leisurely, he grabs the wolf by its tail and swings it onto the ground several times before tossing it a good distance away from him. He runs up to it and strikes it hard onto the ground.

Letting out a yelp of surprise, Fenkir did nothing but take the blows. However, his magical resilience proved adequate to prevent any serious damage. He stared at his attacker with confidence. He sent it another message: "Heh... is that all?" Immediately after finishing his message, he sank his teeth into the dragonoid's leg, attempting to pull it out from under the firey creature.

The wolf bites Draken's leg, but he feels nothing. His scales are proving yet again to be impervious to most physical damage. Draken hears it's voice inside his head again but shrugs it off. He grabs the wolf by its throat and tightens his grip, holding it out, at the same time pushing into it with his claws.

Fenkir knew there would be no fighting his way out of this. The damn thing outclassed him in both physical resistance and power. "Well, that's that. A shame, really. You could be putting this power to good use." Fenkir showed no signs of fear. "Of course, this offer comes with its perks... plenty of fresh meat, per se." He had hope it would get through to his aggressor, so he could continue his mission.

Draken tightens his grip further, pulling the wolf in close. "I don't care. To me, you're just lunch," Draken heats up his hand with his draconic abilities and attempt to kill the wolf. Draken had no reason whatsoever to listen to a creature giving vague hints. If it wanted Draken to listen, it better come up with a better sales pitch than that.

Chuckling into the creature's mind, Fenkir continued. "Then I suppose you'd rather have this entire world be destroyed? As it stands, I'm the only one that knows how to stop the destruction of Etolia." As for the heat, Fenkir's resistance worked its magic, but even that had its limits. He could feel his skin beginning to burn.

Draken lets out a growl which quickly turns into a sigh. Draken lets the wolf go and sits down on the ground, his legs crossed. "My apologies. So sorry for my violent behavior. It's very unusual of me. I just woke up from a really long day yesterday. Also, I'm very hungry. I have a tendency to get angry when I'm in a less than stellar mood. And also, you seemed super cocky. And that ticked me off a bit. So what was it you were saying? Destruction of Etoliea?"

"Right..." Shaking the embers off of his back after standing up, Fenkir noticed the punctures in his throat, due to the trickle of blood. This surprised him; he had never had an actual wound inflicted upon him. Seeing they would prove inconsequential, however, Fenkir paid them no mind. He sat down across from his former attacker. If he could, he would be scowling.

"That was a rather quick turn around. Still, I'll believe it... For now, anyway." Fenkir sent the message cooly, despite the blood now dripping from his neck. "And yes, I said the destruction of Etolia. Something is coming. Something big."

"well then...Let's come into my shop. we can discuss this in there. Out here seems a bit unsuitable for something so 'big'," Draken gets up and leads the wolf back to the lava fall and into his workshop. He sits down on a rock chair and lets out a sigh. "I don't have any refreshments around here, so I hope you don't mind. Now please, tell me more,"

Once inside, Fenkir sat down cautiously, some distance from his host. "Refreshments won't be needed." He paused, taking in the room. "As for what's coming our way... it's a disease, with a drive to infect and destroy anything it can reach. It's called the darkness, and it's coming for us all."

"and what do you plan to do? What were you hoping for in telling me this?" Draken wanted to know his intentions. He was concerned about this threat, yes, but what is he supposed to do about it? Draken looks over at his 500-year old niece. "Tyra, go play with your brother in the courtyard," the little girl scurries away. He looks back at the wolf. "tell me what you want from me. If I find it reasonable, I'll consider,"

Fenkir curiously watched the little creature go. Once it was out of sight, he turned back to the one he was conversing with. "All I ask for is your aid. Help me stop the darkness from reaching us." Although his "voice" was calm, desperation was apparent in Fenkir's eyes.

"If what you say is true, and this darkness is threatening everyone in Etoliea, then I shall do what I can to help. Just tell me how, when and where," Draken gets up and walks away, looking for his sister. When he finds her, he puts his hand on her shoulder. "take good care of Tyra and Lairis. Wouldn't want their mother to tear this place down again," they both put their hands on each other's chests, which is their equivalent of a hug. Draken walks back to the wolf. "so what's your plan?"

"That's the problem... I don't have one." Fenkir said, somewhat apologetically. "Also, I've got no idea how contagious it is, so running blindly into it would be suicide." He paused, thinking about his limited options. "We could try asking the guardians, but I don't know where any of them are." He looked into the eyes of his new ally. "That, or risk everything on one all-or-nothing chance."

" you don't have a plan? Seriously?" Draken crosses his arms. He ponders in his mind a bit, debating on whether this wolf was for real or not. "You're looking at me like you're expecting me to hatch up a plan for us. You're the one who invited me into this whole ordeal, you should be the one with the plan,"

"Well pardon me for not knowing how to deal with something I've never encountered." Fenkir let out a low growl of annoyance. "Of course, that doesn't mean you can't help form one..." Fenkir said, sounding somewhat condescending.

"Look pal, I'm totally clueless on this thing. You're the one who came to me about this. You should've thought more carefully before actually going out looking for help," Draken leans his back against the wall. "look, do you know where this thing is? Or how we can get to it? We can come up with a plan on the way there and once we're there we execute. Deal?"

Back