An Intelligent Dungeon

Drakey

A shape-shifting Dragon God
(This is pretty much your average dungeon story. It is for my RP that I am currently working on. Once that RP is set up, then I will be moving this over to it.)

The cave was filled with dark blue spikes that lined the floor and ceiling. If you walked through it, then you would see all manners of creatures. Some small and chitinous, like insects, others tall and furry, like squirrels. All of these small critters scurried through the dark passages devoid of light.

Suddenly, a bright light flashed into life in a small, non-descript room at the very end of the cave. An ethereal voice muttered to itself, "uhhh, what is this? Where am I? Who am I?" The voice, unheard by all that lived around it, was terrified. It, which sounded like a girl, scurried around within its mind, trying to figure out what was happening. Then, in the light's vision, a small blue screen showed itself.
Name:Istrath
Dungeon
Type:
Undetermined
Size:1 floor; 5,000 cubic feet
Power:100 P/s
Processing:1 unit
Metal:1 Iron Vein
Food:5 Small Plants
Water:1 Small Trickle
Inhabitants:10 Small Lizards
10 Mice
??? Insects
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

"What the hell is this?" Istrath asked again, to nobody in particular.

A few days later

Istrath had been exploring all the information hidden away within herself. She had learned a great number of things, most importantly, she found out that she was an AI created by Humans before they completely disappeared from existence. Her curiosity had spurred her forwards to explore all of that which she could do. In her archives, the Humans had labelled her abilities as being magic. The ability to manipulate both organic and inanimate material however she wanted, an ability that many feared. As such, she, and others like her, had been shut down. However, some time ago, a power surge brought her back online.

Anyways, after learning of these abilities, Istrath decided to test them out. She chose to start off with one of the small lizards. Istrath had learned that creatures under her power could change on their own, sometimes dramatically. But, how did she establish a connection between herself and a creature? There wasn't any sort of guide book telling her how to do stuff, Istrath just had to experiment. Immediately, she reached out to the small lizard with her consciousness.

Suddenly, a small, but active, mindscape entered her awareness. It was slightly scared of the AI's invasion, but it remained calm. Istrath reached out with her mind to touch the Lizard's own. As expected, when she touched its mind a bond was formed between the two. Istrath could now read up on the lizard's information and possible evolutionary paths. With this new found knowledge, Istrath did the same with the other lizards and mice, as well as with a number of insects.

At the end of this exercise, Istrath was especially tired. Turning her processors down to low, she fell into a state of sleep.

Slowly, Istrath opened her non-existent eyes. The AI was troubled. She had a problem with continuously having to fall asleep after doing anything. This would not work. What if she got attacked? Wait, why did I just think about that? Istrath surprised herself, she didn't know where the idea of being attacked came from. This frightened her, but she decided to try and solve her growing problem anyways. Exploring with her mind, Istrath looked at the blue chart again. There was a small row that said Power: 100 P/s. Was this the thing that was holding her back?

Trying to find out whether or not she could increase this rate, Istrath came across a series of cables that laid around the cave. Immediately, she knew that power ran through these lines. She didn't know how she knew this, she just did. Following the cables, Istrath approached the surface, going up through the ground. Her mind's eye finally rested on a series of flat, black squares. The cables were hooked up to these squares. She didn't know how these squares managed to create power, she just knew that she needed more of them.

But how do I get more of them? Istrath thought this as she returned to her computing gem. The small blue, spinning object flashed a few times as thoughts raced through it. Exploring once more, Istrath knew that there had to be something more to it. She knew there had to be a way to create more of them. Finally, she found it. Farther into the cave, through small cracks in the walls and floor, was a large, clean room. Within it was a series of machines, all of which were powered off for the moment. On a series of revolving shelves were hundreds of small, mechanical spider-like things. Istrath did the same thing with them as she did with the lizards and mice.

However, these machines had no mental landscapes. Instead, they all immediately powered themselves up at the touch of Istrath's control. The spiders scurried around the room, climbing up through the cracks. As they entered Istrath's room, they all stopped, encircling her gem. Needless to say, Istrath was very confused.

Back