Imperatus Rex

Semper Imperatus
When martial law meets an nonnegotiable Mayor

An Unhappy Medium is a story about a quaint Victorian town, Dulci, with a proud mayor, Lucus Pendragon. The town of Dulci is virtually the only town free from the Martial Law of the new monarchy, and the independent mayor kept his grip on this tightly. The crime began to skyrocket, and hotspots began to pop up within the town where murders and bootlegs ran thick. The mayor began to crack down harshly on these crimes, and was met with mercenaries in his office demanding their pardons. He turned this down without them getting their speeches out. They went away, and a group of criminals frame the mayor for bootlegging and violence against citizens. The mayor was met by empire officers, who demanded he either go to jail for life or hand over the entire city for his "freedom". The mayor knew that it was a win win scenario for them at every decision, since they get the title if he is arrested. He proposed his compromise instead.

“You give me freedom, and you get to have a fifty percent share of power over my town.” The mayor states with a grim tone, and they hesitantly accept. The compromise was published across the papers nationally, The “Unhappy Medium”. The citizens live under a strange balance and tranquility, with a peaceful and normal life, with guards staring down emptily upon the nights streets. The mayor struggles to live under increasing imperial stress. The citizens tire of the passive aggressive nature of the guards. Over time, it becomes a city of martial law. The nights are patrolled by muskets and all shops are closed at the loss of sunlight. The daylight city is an eerie peace, as they try to live peacefully in this martial land. Slowly things worsen, to the point of a political outrage as they encroach on territory after the rejection of the “Fifty One Percent Act” Where the empire attempts a majority power gain.

The citizens live by day, and cower by night as the military gradually begins to prove a threat. The guards stand outside the doors, with their weapons on standby. The citizens carry weapons as they roam during the day, as a response to this. The mayor sits behind his once grand desk, twiddling his thumbs as the Guards watch him closely. He has his leverage, and takes it with a very strong grip. The guards press to recruit the citizens, and Mayor Lucus responds with with banning all empire propaganda, and enforcing a very short leash on the guard with his “Daylight Savings” act, which shows his attitude on the monarchy. He states that guards are not allowed to roam during the day without permits, and that they aren’t allowed to speak with citizens by proposing strong limitations on “suspicious” speech. He bumps the taxes thrice as much for military personnel, limiting their willingness to live in the town. The Mayors grip on the leash loosens, along with his sanity, as he slips into alcoholism from the excessive stress. The citizens must learn to live under the martial laws, or fight for their drunken mayors right in power, else they live in this cesspool of martial command for eternity.

Major Characters So Far

Lucus Pendragon- The mayor of Dulci. He is a gradual alcoholic as the martial officers press for their “Fair Shares”. He is a thin man, in his thirties, with a notable black wool trilby and a grey vest. He loosens his grip on the town over time, as his stress drives him into a bottle.

Officer Briar - A martial guild officer that commands the Dulci guards. He is known for his ruthless efforts to press his control.

William Halt- Emperor of the continent, he has little care for the small town as he is satisfied with his majority powers. He is the one who proposed the Fifty One Percent Act when a general irritated him with news of the quaint town.

Major Landmarks/Areas of Dulci

Town Square

Military Station

Caffe et Thae (Cafe)

The Gates of Dulci

Genres: Fantasy, Victorian, Non-Magic, Political, Slice Of Life

Last edited:
This is an interesting setting, I can see you've put some thought into this and I appreciate it. I just have a few questions. First off, about how many players were you looking to get?

This is an interesting setting, I can see you've put some thought into this and I appreciate it. I just have a few questions. First off, about how many players were you looking to get?
Honestly, I was about to say that in the interest check today but I am thinking about a more solid number. An approximate maximum is 10, while I expect at least 5 before it is ready. That is a detail I have been carefully considering, since it is such a limited environment.

Ok, and what's your plan for the PC's are they all going to be one faction or are you going to be managing different PC's, in different factions, doing different things?

Ok, and what's your plan for the PC's are they all going to be one faction or are you going to be managing different PC's, in different factions, doing different things?
In this story framework, the PC's are actually the citizens that try to support their mayor in court. The faction element is seperated by a vague idea of Civilian and Militia, if that makes sense. The militia is more of the anti-martial guards rebellious side of the population, while the Civilians are the casual ones without any strong motivation of rebellion besides being juries of court.

Last edited:
Back