Angel Mother...

Crescent Moon

Light has no shadow.
Angel mother hear a bell
of the freshly fallen snow
father starlight cannot tell
of the path I mustn't go.

The white flakes drifted softly on a cushion of air. Dancing to the music of silence and bitter cold. Tall dark figures rose from the white powder, looming over like crooked fingers grasping at the sky. The leafless claws were still, not a breath stirred the air. The snow remained undisturbed and gradually grew deeper as time continued onward. The skeletons of time were all that remained on this frigid landscape. A clock was meaningless in this endless dark. Day did not exist here, and neither did night. It was just a place, just a time. An endless loop slowly building deeper and deeper to where even time would be buried in this constant falling of the dancing ice. A year and a day were the same, for neither existed.
This was were I was first born. The frigid air in contrast of my spirit and very being. I was the only source of light, everywhere I stepped, the snow gave way to plain dirt. I didn't know what I was. I just existed. I was the existence in that place, in that time. I never knew hunger or thirst. Just a curiosity of why the white fell from above and what made them vanish where I stood. I wanted to know why my limbs flickered with a constant glow of warmth and snapping sounds. But I had no one to ask nor did I know how to ask. I had nothing but a feeling of a need to know.
After an endless time, the entire world stopped. Time had finally ended and the place became unstable. I could feel it as the crooked claws and the snow began to rewind. The sky took back the flakes it had dropped and I stood watching at the sudden and first change I had ever witnessed.
The ground, once white, turned brown with soil. I could feel something strange deep in my core. A pulling that made me feel pain though at the time I didn't know what pain was. My entire existence was ripped from that place and that time. Images flashed in my mind, my first voices and sights came to me. Color was a marvel. I didn't experience any of this, I knew it was all in my head. I didn't know how I knew, I just did.
When all the chaos stopped, silence came again. This time, it was a different silence. I could hear a slight ringing and static. I could hear the liquid surrounding me vibrate with the beat of my own heart.
For once, I wasn't just an existence, was alive. I was life.

Back