Book Suggestions

Recently I've been looking for some new books to read. I'm interested in supernatural/horror, mystery, historical and fantasy.

My recommendation is The Yard by Alex Grecian.

I remember really enjoying the book "Rook" by Daniel O' Malley; It takes place in a modern London, but it is about a secret branch of the government that deals with supernatural/paranormal stuff and the agents all have special powers and abilities. It was very funny and clever, and I would definitely recommend it, even if you aren't into present-day fiction!

I've also been reading a lot of romance novels lately, but I know that genre isn't for everyone! If anyone is interested, I'd recommend any books written by Mariana Zapata, and the novel "Rhapsodic" by Laura Thalassa (Rhapsodic is a supernatural romance novel, but Mariana Zapata's books are not)

I recommend reading the "Game of Thrones" series that George R. R. Martin has created, if you haven't already. It's mainly medieval with a mix of romance, adventure, and a bunch of other things.
I must warn you, though, that in the later books he gets more and more... "descriptive".

I recommend the black dagger brotherhood by j.r ward for romance and for mystery thriller, iris Johanson and Tami Hoag.

I recommend reading the "Game of Thrones" series that George R. R. Martin has created, if you haven't already. It's mainly medieval with a mix of romance, adventure, and a bunch of other things.
I must warn you, though, that in the later books he gets more and more... "descriptive".
Awwww yea! I've read every book at LEAST three times!

If you haven't tried the Wheel of Time series, and you have a spare week or so (depending on your reading speed) I would heavily recommend them! They're by Robert Jordan and have a few of my favorite tropes. The main character isn't that fun, but the thirty or so side characters are beyond fantastic.

My favorite book I have read recently is The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. It is awesome book that deals with an alternative form of time travel and immortality. I love any book written by Brandon Sanderson. I also just finished Stephen King's On Writing it is a great read for writers.

The sherlock holmes series is a definitive must read, other than that is Douglas Adams "hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" series. I am planning on reading the wheel of times series. The Artemis Fowl series are also very good

Although for much younger readers, I recommend The Edge Chronicles. The detail and depth of the world really captured my imagination as a child. Seeing the story progress, the effects of time, the ageing and death of beloved characters, the shifting and changing of the environment, as well as the many unique and interesting races made for an all around immersive read. The illustrations too, are fantastic.

The series are what got me into world building, specifically the mechanics of it. To create something of magic with its own brand of physics propping it up, to have every aspect explainable by enough scientific reckoning so that it feels not only plausible, but probable, is a must for me to fully enjoy a book. I can appreciate good writing as much as the next person, but it's the universe and the characters held within that truly inspire me to explore more of the author's works.

Though again not a single book, Terry Pratchett has a lot to offer if you're after a bit of the bizarre with an extensive world and colourful characters.

For a non fiction that reads almost like a fiction I recommend Malcom Gladwell's David and Goliath.

It's a collection of real life events and stories about how being the underdog can turn out to be your biggest advantage. Underdogs often have to find new and inventive ways to counter the Goliaths in their fields out of neccessity. It all comes together so brilliantly and eloquently that you can't help but feel that life is a beautiful collection of narratives waiting to be discovered.

I have a few favorite books in my repetoire. Anything by Rick Riordan is great, he manages to weave fantasy and modern elements into a really intriguing, multilayered world with compelling characters.

I also recommend The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen, it's a historical/fantasy story about government conspiracies and snarky main characters and secret plots and all. Can't say too much without spoiling something, but it's really good. Also has two sequels, which I haven't read.

Another book I love is Avalon High. It's a romance/modern/fantasy thing about teens who line up with King Arthur tales, but not just by coincidence for romantic reasons.

Also, if you don't mind something a liiittle less mature, the Olivia Kidney series is one I loved a good few years back. It's about a girl living in New York who discovers she can see ghosts, but the living people she knows are even more interesting. It's a little wacky, but the books are thick and intriguing, and all the characters have a lot of life.

Wow, I found some new books to read as well. Thanks everyone for contributing.

I just finished re-reading Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy. Fantasy setting with likable and relatable characters.

I also highly reccomend The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Hillarious modern fantasy with a pretty unique perspective.

If you don't mind some slightly disturbing concepts, I highly recommend The Winter Girl. I can't remember the author, but I remember loving the book and being so interested.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, and I know it's not a book, but the author Dean Koontz writes incredible horror/mystery books! A few of my favorites are Intensity, Fear Nothing, Seize the Night, and many many more. His writing style is similar in a lot of the books he writes, but he makes you really connect to each of the characters. I love it!

If your still looking for books I have one. If you enjoy multiple points of view and survival than you should give Silver by Chris Wooding a read. :emoji_sparkles:

a book by the name of
Benighted
Book by Kit Whitfield

in a world very mush like our own except for one slight difference, 99.9% of the worlds population is lycanthropic, it centers around a human woman living through the system

I remember one of my favorite books is "Ripper" by Stefan Petrucha. It's good and really has a good twist not too far from the middle. In fact...

Summary!: There is a killer loose in New York City, and Carver Young is the only one who sees the startling connection between the recent string of murders and the most famous serial killer in history: Jack the Ripper. Time is winding down until the killer claims another victim, but Carver soon sees that, to The Ripper, this is all a game that he may be destined to lose. -Google Books

This isn't like other Ripper fiction and deserves at least a look over. Carver is an orphan and this is expressed in the second chapter, he's 14 and is a lot like his father - although Carver later learns he wishes he wasn't. I hope im not giving too much away.

For Historical, I'd say "The Prince" would be an excellent choice, though it's possibly non-fiction, and almost like an 'Evil Overlord List for the 1400s'. Pretty much everything by Shakespeare counts as historical to greater or lesser extent, and a lot of that which isn't is supernatural or fantastic.

Back