Can Anyone Tell Me What This Is, And Should I Hang It In My Room?

Combat

Your Weird Uncle
(Wow, that was a longer title than expected.)

KPmjLkF.jpg

I was thrift shopping today, and found this little charm(?) at a local store and grabbed it faster than your could say "cursed." Now that I'm home, I've been trying to figure out what exactly this item is, and what does it symbolize. The only thing i know for sure was that it was crafted in Korea. So if there's any experts in Korean art here, let me know what I've found, and if hanging it in my room poses me with an evil spirit.

Looks like a cheap knock-off of something to do vith Yin-Yang simbolism. That simbol in the center is a bad imitation, but instead of haveing 2 halves complementing each-other, it has three (they probably did that to avoid copyright or something). So far as I can tell, it means nothing. :p Just a pretty wall-hang thing maked in some cheap trinket factory in Korea.

Looks like a cheap knock-off of something to do vith Yin-Yang simbolism. That simbol in the center is a bad imitation, but instead of haveing 2 halves complementing each-other, it has three (they probably did that to avoid copyright or something). So far as I can tell, it means nothing. :p Just a pretty wall-hang thing maked in some cheap trinket factory in Korea.
That's certainly possible, but I'm pretty sure the Yin Yang symbol isn't under any sort of copyright since its origins would go back to the Taoist origins. I'm sure this thing is cheap, but I don't think it was trying to avoid copyright.

Maybe not, maybe this particular simbol has some specific meaning in Korea, or maybe its just there to look "mysterius". Ask a Korean, I guess.

I think hanging it in your room would be appropriate, considering what they were used for. As I'm a storytelling kind of person, I'd probably do so and then imagine it was given to me by the prince of a Korean-style world to which I had traveled and returned after going on some amazing adventure.

Back