Chapter One of some story I've been working on

TeaAnna1

This is just a snippet of the first chapter from something I've started. I didn't want to post the entire thing. Hope you enjoy!

A young, cocoa skinned and glasses baring girl looked around at the busy streets of Hudson City, a soft sigh escaping her plump lips, which tugged down to a small pout. The city was thriving and very lively with the sounds of street performers for change, cars beeping, and many different but recent songs playing from different kind of well-known clothing stores. She was here on vacation with her family for the next month, and her family was very enthusiastic about it. Well, her family, but not her. She wasn’t interested one bit, and would rather back at home in Oaksville, plopped on her wheeled computer chair, in front of her old desktop and shopping on Ebay for cheap jewelry from China, then wait impatiently for them to arrive the minute after the order is sent. Or perhaps on Etsy, if she actually had money to spend instead of 70 cents on her cheap pre-paid credit card she purchased at the Family Dollar. They came here all the time when she was younger, before her younger brother came along, so it wasn’t as fun as it used to be.

Her family was so--cheesy and cliché, like a suburban family from a dumb vacation movie, doing stupid poses with statues and always taking pictures of simple things like buildings and plants, or making a big deal over a stupid thing like--

“A pigeon, Sofia! We don’t have those at home!” The girl’s mother, Latrinda, called out in an over excited tone. The young girl, now known as Sofia , heard the sound of her mother’s phone taking a picture, because she heard the sound effect of ‘Ka-chick!’ She rolled her eyes and kept taking step after step until she had stopped at a bench, glanced at her irksome family, and back at the bench. Her eyes traveled up to the crystal clear sky, which had no clouds in sight at all. A huffed out sigh had escaped her again. She tended to sigh a lot, it was a vice. She had decided to take a break, checking to make sure that there was no bird droppings or any other revolting substance on the bench, then took a seat, setting her tote bag beside her. Crossing one of her legs over her knee, a small smile spread on her face. She was taking all of this peacefulness in and took a few moments to tie her black hair back into a ponytail. Her hair was in boxbraids, included with small embellishments. She didn’t mind having the braids spill over her shoulders, and she liked them, because they were big and chunky.

"Sofia, stay with the group!” She heard her father, Donovan, say as he carried her younger brother, Todrick, on his shoulders.

‘He can walk by himself. He’s five, for God’s sake... He’s not handicapped or anything, just a spoiled brat...’ She thought then picked her bag up. It was heavy with expensive things her mom bought, most likely souvenirs like homemade soy candles ($20) or things like totem poles carved out of driftwood ($29.99). ‘And she makes me her pack mule…’ She thought again, rolling her dark amber and gold speckled eyes as she huffed and heaved while following her parents around. She was so bored of Hudson City, that when they took a small break at Hudson Park, her favorite park to visit as a kid, and she didn’t feel one spark of excitement.

‘I guess I should get used to that feeling. Not getting excited when visiting one of your favorite places or eating your favorite snacks as a kid, little things like that, don’t really matter when you’re growing up. You focus on getting things done and getting on in life...Why am I thinking like this? I’m only fifteen, I’m, like, barely a teenager!’ Sofia would often find herself taking small fragments of her time to let her mind wander and ask herself questions she can’t answer like What is the real meaning of life? or What happens after death? Is there really a heaven or hell? Or is it just eternal darkness and nothingness? She looked up when she heard the excited yelling of her younger brother, consisting of loud shrieks and what sounded like a giggling chipmunk or squirrel.

Back